History of Somers Township, Il.
From: J. S. Lothrop's Champaign County Directory
With History of the same, and Each Township Therein
Published by: Rand, McNally & Co., Printers & Binders, Chicago 1871

keywords: gardening composting planting corn history chicago

------------------------------------------------



SOMERS TOWNSHIP

Is bounded on the east by Stanton, on the north by Rantoul, on the west by Hensley, and on the south by Urbana, being Town 20, Range 9 east. The land is much the same as that described in every other town in the county. The Salt Fork rises in the northern part of the town, and runs south through the town, giving ample supply of water for stock purposes; and ample drainage to the lands to the east and north-east.

The attention of the farmers of the town is directed mainly to stock raisiug, and the improvement of stock, of which they have the finest quality of bloods.

The first land entered here, was by Sarah Coe, January, 1829: the west half of the south-east quarter of Section 27, Town 20, Range 9.

The first settler of whom we have been able to learn, was one Mr. Rineheart, who came from Ohio in 1827, and commenced the inprovement of a farm north of the grove. Elias Kirby, also from Ohio, settled there about the same time. In 1828, one Moore came and located on a farm at the head of the grove, which he afterwards sold out to one Lewis Adkins, who carried on the improvements. One P. Stanford came the same time that Moore did. William Corray, of Ohio, John Whittiker, of Kentucky, and. John Brownfield, of Pennsylvania, came to the town in 1832, and all have performed their part in the settlement of the county. Mr. Brownfield for many years held the office of County Commissioner, and Judge, and performed the duties with fidelity. His three sons, Thomas, Joseph, and James Brownfield, are still residents of the township, prosperous farmers, and among its honored and respected citizens.

The character of the prairie soil, contiguous as it is to the timber and flowing streams, and, also, good markets, has attracted farmers who desire to engage in stock raising and feeding. although it is equally adapted to mixed husbandry. Among the wide-awake farmers of the town we name A. M. Fauley, who is at present directing his attention to swine breeding and raising; his essay, in another part of this book, will be read wIth interest. In this he has been pre-eminently successful, and the many premiums he has taken, where his stock has been in competition with that of other breeders, attests their purity and value.

Dr. Henry Haley, also in the stock-raising business, has a farm of about 700 acres well advanced in improvement, though comparatively new. His barn and dwelling, with their surroundings and all the arrangements and appointments of the farm, are admirably designed, and perfected with intelligent skill and care.

M. Powell, Richard Allen, B. P. Prather, E. E. Goodrich, Thos. Wilson, C. R. Morehouse, and many others, have farms of which any town may well boast, in quantity, quality, and the manner of their cultivation.

The farm of H. C. Stewart is also a model worthy of imitation, showing the common sense handling of its owner.

Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy