This town is bounded on the north by Compromise and Rantoul, on the west by Somers, on the south by St. Joseph
and South Homer, and on the east by Vermillion county; and occupies the Congressional Town of 20, Ranges 10 and
11 east, and 14 west, being six miles by ten, and containing sixty square miles. Of this town we would probably
hazard nothing in saying, that in all respects a more perfect body of land for agricultural, purposes does not
exist. An important tributary of the Salt Fork passes through this town, and in its course is joined by another
from the north-east, which gives ample drainage and water privileges, to aid the farmer in the proceention of his
work. The first land entered here was by Samuel McClughen, October, 1836: the east half of the north-east quarter
of section 20, Town 20, Range 14. John J. Trimmel, May, 1850, entered the east half of the south-east quarter of
section 26, Town 20, Range 10; and Josiah Brown, June, 1853, entered the south-west quarter of section 31, Town
20 Range 11.
The first settler in the township was Samuel McClughen, who came from Ohio in 1834, and settled at the beautiful
grove at the east end of the town, known as Burr Oak Grove. Here be engaged in tilling the soil, and here he built
the first house, and planted the first orchard in the town. He was born in Ohio, in 1810, and, though he some years
since departed this life, he still lives in his works. and plans, that are manifest in the farm which he made,
and where his estimable widow still resides. Mr. McClughen was for many years the sole inhabitant of the town;
Mr. Trimmel, it is believed, being the next settler. He came there in 1843, and still resides in the town. In 1862,
at the organization of the town, there were but thirty families, all told, within its borders, while eight years
later the records show 209, an increase of which the citizens may well be proud; and in looking over this town,
noting the character of the soil, productions, and men, it is not hard to see that at no distant day, in population,
in intelligence, wealth, and all that goes to render a home in any community desirable, it must. take and hold
a high rank.
The first to settle at the head of Salt Fork timber was Levi Craine, who came from Indiana, and located there in
1856. One James McGill, also, came to the town in 1853, and William Scott in. 1854, all of whom are still upon
their farms, giving to the town and county the benefit of their earnest, well directed labor.
Milton Babb is one of the prominent farmers of the town, and we may add, of the county. His large, well-stocked
farm has few equals, and no superiors. He located there in 1860, and has, since that period, brought his land to
a high state of cultivation. His farming is that of stock-raising principally; as also is that of M. Putnam, who
can also show as fine a farm as any in Central Illinois; very few can show better. E. J. Clark, also a practical
farmer, is making his mark in the agricultural world, and deserves great credit for the untiring energy and persistent
zeal with which he conducts the affairs of his farm. He located there in 1866, from Indiana..
There are two church buildings in the town, the Christian and the Friends, and each have beautiful houses of worship.
Although no railroad runs through the township, yet but a short distance south of the township line, is the track
of the I., B. & W. R. R., running parallel with the same its entire length, giving excellent facilities for
shipping farm productions.