This town lies in the northwestern part of the county. It is bounded on the north by Kane County and Barrington
Township in Cook County, on the east by Schanmburg, on the south by Wayne Township in Pu Page County, and on the
west by Kane Comity. It comprises all of fractional Township 41, Range 9 east. Topographically this town is rolling
prairio, with a general slope toward the west. The only stream of water worthy of mention is the East Branoh of
Poplar Creek, which has its origin in the sontheast corner of Barrington, and after flowing south through Sections
1 and 12 of Hanover, turns westerly and flows into the Fox River sonth of Elgin. The highest point of laud in this
township is about fifty feet above the Fox River. Originally there were about twelve sections of timber in the
town, in a belt about two miles wide, which, commencing near the middle of the southern line, extended northward
and then northwestward until it reached the Fox River. The largest trees in this grove were, when white men first
settled here, about three feet in diameter. Most of the timber now consists of second growth, and the largest of
the trees scarcely exceed eighteen inches in diameter, and the area has been diminished about one fifth. The name
of this grove was originally Independence Grove, but later it became known as Hoosier Grove, on acconut of the
first settlers in the township having conic from Indiana, and settled in or near the edge of the timber. The soil
of the timbered portion is heavy clay, and that of the open prairie black loam upon a clay subsoil ; an indication,
probably, that had there been no timber, the soil of what is now timbered land would have been the same as that
of the prairie, black loam, which varies in depth from one to five feet.
The earliest settlers were, as has been stated, from Indiana. Among them were John and George Hammer, who settled
with their families on Section 23, in 1833, and Abraham Leathermnn, who settled on Section 28. A. D. Gifford settled
in 1835 on Section 30; Guy Adams on Section 31, Samnel N. Campbell on Section 17, and Daniel Guptail on Section
20, Mr. Merryfield in 1836 on Section 33, Byrem Smith in 1836 on Section 20, and John Gnptail in 1837 on Section
29. Previous to 1840 the following also settled in Hanover: Benjamin Burritt on Section 19, Luther Herrick and
John Hill on Section 20, Joseph Oatman on Section 15, and Mr. Primrose on Section 34. After these came D. S. Hammond
in 1840 on Section 28, Woodworth Butterfield on Section 35, John Hubbard on Section 9, Edwin Bartlett on Section
36, Samuel Gould on Section 14; David C. White in 1843 on Section 26, Lyman Williams on Section 14, Jarvis Smith
on Section 20, John Jenne and John F. Cook on Section 30, David Sharp in 1843 on Section 26, David Longley in 1844
on Section 16, Joseph Hollowell on Section 9, Nathaniel Ballard on Section 31, Andrew Spitrer in 1845 on Section
35, John Bower on Section 3, Mr. Rosecrans on Section 5, F. Pendleton on Section 27, Benjanun Morgan on Section
14. At the first election held April 2, 1850, there were eighty five votes cast, indicating a population of from
350 to 400. The election was held at Leatherman’s tavern which stood on the Chicago and Elgin road where now stands
the house of Peter Sharp on Section 28. This tavern was a log house, and was frequently full of people, who could
find no other place to remain through the night. It thns served the traveler frcm the time of the settlement of
the town to abont 1852. A second tavern was erected in 1848 by D. S. Hammond about one mile eas of Leatherman's
tavern, and likewise on the Chicago and Eigin road which passes throngh Ontarioville. Hammond's tavern was burned
down in 1851, the fire having been kindled as is believed by an incendiary. Young’s tavern stood east of the present
location of Bartlett on Section 35. The first school-house in Hanover stood on Section 20, near John Hill’s honse.
The first church building was erected in the northeastern part of the town by the German Lutherans. A Baptist chnrch
was erected in 1854 on the Chicago and Elgin road near David C. White’s house. It remained here until 1874 when
it was moved into the Grove and converted into a dwelling. In this part of the country previous to 1854 farmers
depended mainly on agriculture for the support of their families and for the augmentation of their wealth, but
in that year a departure from accustomed methods was made, by Phineas H. Smith, who commenced shipping milk to
Chicago drawing it from Hanover to Elgin with an ox team. Since then the cultivation of crops of cereals has gradually
diminished while the attention given to dairying has gradnally increased. After about ten years devotion to the
selling of milk another change was made in the establishment of a cheese factory in 1865, by C. W. Gould and I.
H Wanzer. After this C. W. Gould. built a second; I. H. Wanzer at different times built three others, and Mr. Waterman
built the sixth. There are now three cheese factories in the town. There are now also three creameries in the town,
the proprieters of which are C. W. Gould, A. Nolting, and. Carr & Willson respectively. Two of these creameries
use the Do Laval Cream Separator - C. W. Gould, and Carr & Willson; C. W. Gould being the first to introduce
the separator into his creamery. Carr & Willson, whose creamery is situated. at Bartlett, have introduced a
system of paying dairymen for their milk which is attracting considerable attention, and bids fair to revolutionize
the milk business. This system is to pay the dairymen for each one hundred pounds of milk four times the price
of one pound of butter, the of butter to be the same as the average price for the month on the Board of Trade at
Elgin. The average price for the month is determined by adding together the Monday prices on the Elgin Board, and
dividing the sum by the number of Mondays in the month. Four cents per pound is charged for making the butter.
The organization of the town of Hanover was effected April 2, 1850, at Abraham Leatherman's tavern. The election
held that day resulted in the selection of the following officers: Supervisor, Luther Herrick by 03 votes; Clerk,
John Hubbard, by 85 votes; Assessor, Abel D. Gifford, by 85 votes; Commissioners of Highways, Woodworth Butterfield,
48 votes, George E. Smith, 47 votes, and Josiah Horn, 46 votes; Justices of the Peace, John Hill, 81 votes, and
Samuel Gould, 45 votes; Constables, Samuel S. Hammer, 69 votes, and Lyman Williams, 51 votes; Collector, Jarvis
Smith, 47 votes; Overseer of the Poor, Joseph Oatman, 39 votes. At this meeting five resolutions were passed, four
of them pertaining to animals running at large, and the fifth was that $50 be raised for town expenses. On the
17th of April the Commissioners of Highways met and divided the town into twelve road districts, and the Gifford
and Whipple road was discontinued, leading from the south boundary line of the town to the quarter section line
dividing Section 31 into north and south halves.
The following is a list of the officers elected since 1850:
Supervisors- Edwin Bartlett, 1851-53; George E. Smith, 1854-56; D. S. Hammond, 1857-61; Eli Whitney,
1862-63; D. S. Hammond, 1864-08; William Sehween, 1869-73; I. H. Wanzer, 1874-76; Edwin Gould, 1877; Charles F.
Schultz, 1878-80; George Struckman, 1881; Charles F. Schultz, 1882-83.
Clerks.-John Hubbard, 1851-55; Jarvis Smith, 1856; Peter Sharp, 1857; O. B. Jenne, 1858-63; H. P. Hatch,
1864 O. B. Jenne, 1865; Peter Sharp, 1866-81; Seth Lobdell, 1882; Peter Sharp, 1883.
Assessors.- George E. Smith, 1851; David S. Hammond, 1852-53; Abel D. Gifford, 1854-57; David Longley,
1858-69; George Struckman, 1870-71; David Longley, 1873; Charles F. Schultz, 1874-75; George Struckman, 1876-80;
Henry Schramm, 1881; George Struckman, 1882-83.
Collectors.- Joseph Hollowell, 1851; Chester Babcock, 1852-53; David Longley, 1854-57; Charles Gould, 1858;
George B. Smith, 1859-60; Jay Roundy, 1861; George E. Smith, 1862-63; David Sharp, 1804; William H. Longley, 1865;
J. Strickman, 1866, Valentine Cure, 1867; George Busche, 1868; George F. Smith, 1869; Charles Schultze, 1870-71
; Henry Sehramm, 1873; R. A. Davis, 1874; Frank Cook, 1875; George Stumif, 1876-77; Henry F. Runge, 1878; L. Struckmeier,
1870; Henry F. Range, 1880; L Struckmeier, 1881; Henry Ackerman, 1882; L. Struckmeier, 1883.
Commissioners of Highways.- Abel D. Gifford, Woodworth Butterfield and James M. Howard, 1851; George E.
Smith, Joseph Hollowell and Nathaniel Ballard, 1852; ; George E. Smith, Joseph Hollowell and Samuel N. Campbell,
1853; Samuel N. Campbell, Christopher Salar and Andrew Spitzer, 1854; Samuel N. Campbell, Andrew Spitzer and Daniel
Guptail, 1855; Daniel Guptill, Samuel Gould and John Bowen, 1856; F. Pendleton, Willaim Schween and John Mink,
1857; F. Pendleton, George Skinner and Peter Burritt, 1858; F. Pendleton, Jarvis Smith and William Schween, 1859;
F. Pendleton, William Schween and Jarvis Smith, 1860; F. Pendleton. Eli Whitney and William Walbaum, 1861; Guy
Adams, 1862; John Waller, 1864; Guy Adams, 1865; William Walbaum, 1866; L. Rught, 1867; George White, 1868; Carl
Struckman, 1869; Henry Ackman. 1870; Peter Sharp, 1871; D. Oltender for one year and A. D. Gifford for two years,
1873; William Walbaum, 1874; A. B. Gifford, 1875; L. Oltendorf, 1876; Henry Schunsman, 1877; A. D. Gifford, 1878;
L Oltendorf, 1879; H. P. Schween, 1880; Louis Hambruck, 1881; Fred Hecht, 1882; H. P. Sehween, 1883.
Constables- Lyman Williams and Chester Babcock, 1851 ; Daniel Leatherman, 1853; William Probert and Nicholas
C. Myers, 1854; Charles Bruckman and Charles Gould, 1850; Robert Mink, 1857; Charles Gould and Augustus Hambruck,
1858; I. Lessender and Fred. Runge, 1860; Albert P. Woodworth and John Lessender, 1861; John Lessender and Luther
Longley, 1862; William Walbaum, 1863 ; David Sharp and William Beams, 1804; William H. Longley, 1865; Valentine
Crue, 1866; George Busehe, 1867; George E. Smith and Charles Schultz, 1860; Henry Schweeu, 1870; Henry Schramm,
and George , 1871; P. A. Davis, 1874; Ernest Heideman, 1876; George Stumff and Henry Pennys, 1877; L. Struckmeier,
1878; L. Struckmeier and Henry Ackman, 1881.
Justices of the Peace.- Jarvis Smith and Warren Woodworth, 1851; Azariah K. Hubbard and Jarvsi Smith, 1853;
Jarvis Smith and Warren Woodworth, 1854; Azariah K. Hubbard and David. Langley, 1858 and 1862 ; David Langley and
George Struckman, 1865 and 1869; Charles F. Schultz and Frank Guptill, 1871; George Struckman and Henry Schramm,
1877; Henry Sebramin and Charles F. Schultz.
Overseers of the Poor.- M. P. Rowland, 1851; Azariah K. Hubbard, 1852-53; Luther Herrick, 1854-56; Azariali
K. Hubbard, 1857-60 ; W. M. Beveus, 1861-62.
School Trustees.- C. W. Gould, 1869 ; George Struckman, 1870; O. B. Jenne, 1871; O. W. Gould, three years,
and George Struckman, two years, O. O. B. Jenne, 1874; George Struckman, 1875; 0. W. Gould, 1876; O. B: Jenne,
three years, and L. Gould, two years, 1877; George Struckman, 1878; L J. Gould, 1879; O. B. Jenne, 1880; H. P.
Sehween, three years, and L. Oltendorf, one year, 1881; Fred Hecht, 1882; Seth Lobdell, 1883.
Bartlett is located on the nertheast quarter, of the southeast quarter of Section 34. The plot was made in 1873
by Luther Bartlett and the railroad company. Mr. Bartlett had here forty acres of land, and gave the railroad company
an undivided half of this land in consideration of the location of the station upon it. The entire forty acres
were platted. Jacob's addition consisting of twenty acres was made in 1875. The first house on the original plat
was built by a Mr. Tamms, in the spring of 1813. About this time the railroad was constructed through the place
and Mr. Tamms's house was on the south side. The second house built in Bartlett was by John Carr. on the north
side of the track, and on the same spot upon which his present house stands. This was in thc fall of 1873. The
third was by James Cornish about the sanie time. The fourth was bnilt by Cyrus W . Metcalf in the spring of 1874.
The Bartlett Manufacturing Company was organized about this time, and erected a building 24x40 feet for their works.
The bnsiuess of the company was the making of patent neck yokes. Its factory was enlarged from thne to time, until
it was nearly one hnndred feet long. This comçany maintained itself until 1878 when it failed. During the
fonr years of its existence the town grew to its present size. A store building was erected in the spring of 1874
by H. V. Sayre. which was occupied by Hayne & Gower as a general store. They continued in business about a
your when they sold out to the Danbar Bros., who failed when the Bartlett Manufacturing Company failed. For some
time after this there was no store, bnt in the latter part of 1878, Waterman Bros., erected their large store building
which stands south of the depot. Dr. E. C. Guild erected his drug store in 1874. In 1877 Mr. Hemenway built his
store northeast of the depot, the morey being raised by the farmers in the vicinity for its construction. The post
office was established in 1874 and Luther Bartlett made Postmaster. He retained the position until 1880, when he
was succeeded by Benning Mann who kept it until January, 1883. At that time the present Postmaster, Dr. B. C. Guild,
was appointed. A blacksmith shop was established ht 1873 by Thornton Russell. After the failure of the Bartlett
Manufacturing Company, the home Manufacturing Company was organized, and ran a feed mill for about two years, when
John Carr took hold of it and has run it ever since, with Mr. Lobdell as his partner. A lumber yard was started
here in the sununer of 1873 by Bartlett & Shields. This lumber yard is still in existence. mid after changing
hands several times, it is now managed by Carr & Lobdell. The factory of the Home Manufacturing Company, was
bought by Henry Waterman and converted into a cheese factory, and a cheese box and butter tub factory. In 1882
this building was burned down, and Mr. Waterman early in 1883 built the present cheese factory on the old site.
This has been run as a creamery since November, 1883, by Carr & Willson, who use one of the De Laval Creani
Separators, which takes out of the new milk, as delivered by dairymen at the factory, all the cream. The schools
of Bartlett had their origin in 1874, the first teacher being Miss Celestia Bailey, who taught in the second story
of the store. A school house was erected in 1876, a frame one-story building which is now too small fur the seventy
five scholars in the district. The Church, which is Congregational, was organized in May, 1874, and erected their
church edifice in 1878, after moving it from Wayne Center, tne Church there having presented it to the Bartlett
Church. Services had been previously held over the store. The first nunister was Rev. Henry Jacobs, the second
Rev. George A. Coleman, third Rev. J. A. Chamberlain, and the fourth and present one Rev. H. H. Monroe, who came
in 1878. At the time of organization tIns Church had seventeen members, from all denominations, though mainly Cougregationalist.
At Present there are sixty members. There has been a Sunday school ever since the organization of the Church. The
population of the village of Bartlett is now about 250. it is situated on tlio Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway, thirty miles from Chicago.
This is merely a station on this Railway thirty two and eight tenths miles from Chicago, and Hammond is another
station thirty four and two tenths miles from Chicago. The station at Onterioville is in Hanover, but the post
office and village are in Wayne Township. Du Page County. According to the census of 1880, Hanover Township had