This town lies in the northwest part of Cook County. It contains thirty six sections, and is hounded on the
north by Lake County, on the east by Wheeling, the west by Barrington. Salt Creek has its origin on on the south
by Elk Grove and Schaumbnrg, and on Section 20 of this town and flows easterly to the village of Palatine, then
south, then southeasterly into Elk Grove.! The surface is somewhat elevated and gently undulating prairie, and
the soil is a rich prairie loam, Originally there were a number of groves within its limits, one of them at least,
it is believed, having been named previons to the advent of the white man. This was Deer Grove, situated on Sections
3, 4, 5 and 6. Frye's Grove is on Sections 19 and 20; Englishman's Grove on Sections 16,17, 20 and 21; Highland
Grove on Section 19, and Plum Grove on Sections 54 and 35. In Plum Grove there was an Indian burying ground, to
which the Indians paid annual visits until about! the year 1845. There is more timber now both as tp area and size
than when the town began to be settled. This, so far as can be ascertained, was in 1836. In this year George Ela
settled on Section 4, Orrin Ford on Section 27, A. H. McClure on Section 5, Asa Dauton on Seution 9, Ashhel Harris
on Section 5, Russel Andrns on Section 4. In 1837 Amos Bailey settled ou Section 20, Ezekiel Cady on Section 8,
Palmer Webster on Section 9, and Harris Webster on Section 10; in 1838 Samuel Smith settled on Section 34, B. B.
Lincoln on Section 35, M. W. Sawyer also on Section 35, Loren Edgerton on Section 6, and Mason Sutherland on Section
11; in 1839 Lyman Staples settled on Section 10, and John Slade and Joseph. Ins son, settled on Section 22; in
1840 Thomas F. Wilson settled on Section 9, and Elisha Pratt on Section 10; in 1841 Edward Castle settled on Section
6; in 1842 Thomas S. Clark, who came into the township in 1840, settled on Section 29 and Lnman Clark settled on
the same section. In 1843, Blias E. D. Wood settled on Section 29; in 1844 Thomas Bradwell settled on Section 17,
and Daniel Johnson and M. S. Johnson on Section 32; Joel Wood and D. B Wood came in 1847 and settled on Section
23. In May, 1847, D. B. Wood took up forty acres of Government land in the southeast quarter of Section 15, which
with perhaps one exception was the last tract of Government land taken up. Mr. Wood, believing another man intended
to secnre this forty acres and knowing that the one would secure it who first reached the land office, rode on
horseback all the way to Chicago in the night, throngh water most of the way. The last piece of Government land
taken np was a portion of Benjamin M. Porter's farm. Mr. Porter snpposed, as did almost every one else of the settlers,
that this forty acres had been entered from tho Government and was as much his own as was the balance of the farm;
but in 1855 Joseph Barnes, of Elk Grove discovered that it was still Government land, so made entry of it at the
regular price of $1.25 per acre and sold it to Mr. Porter at what it was then worth in the market,
The town of Palatine was organized, as were the other towns in Cook County, April 2, 1850. Some time previously
the name had been chosen at a meeting held for that purpose, at which two names, Palatine and Yankton, were proposed-the
former being chosen by a majority of one or two out of a total of about forty votes. At the nieeting held at the
house of John Slade, for the purpose of organized the town, John Slade was made chairman, D. B. Wood. secretary,
and Elias F. D. Wood, moderator. The following officers were elected: Supervisor, Thomas S. Clark; Clerk, D. B.
Wood; Assessor, Harris Webster; Collector, Milton Foskett; Overseer of the Poor, John Siade; Commissioners of Highways,
Daniel Stanard, Ezekiel Cady and Luman Clark; Constables, Milton Foskett and Fleming Gaines; Justices of the Peace,
Thomas Bradwell and J. N, House. The oath of office was administered by B. B. Lincoln, ESQ. The Commissioners of
Highways divided up the town into nine road districts, each two miles square. Twentyfive dollars was raised to
defray incidental expenses. The first road laid out by the Commissioners of High. ways started at a point in the
road leading from Deer Grove to Chicago and running through the middle of Section 12, ten chains and sixty two
links north of the sonthwest corner of the northwest quarter of the section; thence south with said middle line
thirty-nine rods, thence south 14 degrees, 45 minutes west, eleven chains and twenty five links to the south line
of the section; thence west seventeen chains; thence south forty chains; thence south twelve chains and fifty links.
This road was laid out and surveyed by A. H. McClure on the 23d of May, 1850.
The following is a list of the various officers elected in the town of Palatine since the first election of 1850:
Supervisors. - B. B. Lincoln, 1851; Thomas Bradwell, 1852; Harris Webster, 1853; Thomas S. Clark, 1854; L. D. Castle,
1855-56; Thomas S. Clark. 1857; M. S. Johnson, 1858; J. H. Pahlman, 1859-62; M. L. Pinney, 1863-65; J. H. Pahlman,
1866-70; Granville Peck, 1871-l74; Henry C. Batterman, 1875-77; John B. Clay, 1878-80; M. C. Batterman, 1881; Lyman
Clerks, - D. B. Wood 1851; Leander Grilley, 1852; L. D. Castle, 1853: D. B. Wood, 1854: John B. Clay, 1855-56:
S. A. Shepard, 1857; John B. Clay, 1858; G. W. Hawks, 1850; H. S. Williamson, 1860-61; Crawford Wood, 1862-63;
William Dixon, 1864: A. S. Jackson, 1865; S. Barber, 1866-67; Granville Peck, 1868; F. J. Filbert, 1869-70; George
C. Whipple, 1871; F. J. Filbert, 1873-74; Dennis S. Morgan, 1875-82; John B. Clay, 1883.
Assessors. - Harris Webster, 1851-52; B. M. Porter, 1853; Harris Webster, 1854-55; Laban Putnam, 1856; Harris Webster,
1857-67; J. H. Allard, 1868-71; J. T Garrison, 1873-74; J. H. Allard, 1875-83.
Collectors. - Sidney Sutherland, 1851; John Slade, 1852; Sidney Sutherland. 1853-54; William Lytle, 1855; Harris
Webster, 1856; D. B. Wood, 1857; M. H. Lytle, 1858-59; B. A. Bailey, 1860; H. B. Galpin, 1861; R. S. Williamson,
1862; Martin Swiek, 1863; Crawford Wood, 1864; R. B. Foskett, 1865; J, T. Sleeper, 1866; A. Drozkowski, 1867; J.
D. Dobell, 1866; H. D. Cadwell, 1869; William Daniels, 1870; C. L. Whitcomb, 1871; H H. Pahlman, 1873; John B.
Clay, 1874; Henry Leurson, 1875; L. D. Fay, 1876; Samuel Filbert, 1877; H. H. Pahlman. 1878; Henry Prehlberg, 1879;
P. H. Kroeneke, 1880-81; William Hanneberg, 1882; George Sehwitzer, 1883. Overseers of the Poor. - John Slade,
1851-52; David Boynton, 1853; I, B. Edgerton, 1854; William Lytle, 1855; Loren Norton, 1856; Alvin Holden. 1857-59;
A. S. Pratt, 1860; Alvin Holden, 1861; John Slade, 1862.
Commissioners of Highways. - E. Castle, William H. Cook and Laban Putnam, 1851; Henry Faust, Laban Putnam and William
White, 1852; Mason Sutherland, Henry Fry and Laban Putnam, 1853; Ezekiel Cady, J. H. Krieter and E. W. Cobey, 1854;
Lyman Staples, Joseph Smith and E Castle, 1855; Joel Wood, Laban Putnam and William J. Lytle, 1856; J. S. Smith,
L. Edgerton. and E. G. Ketchum, 1857; Joel Wood, L. Edgerton and J. S. Smith, 1858; L. Edgerton Israel Smith and
J. H. Krieter, 1859; L. Edgerton, Joseph Smith and J. T. Sleeper, 1860, Israel Smith, M. W. Sawyer and T. S. Clark,
1861; Garrett Elfrink, 1862; John Slade, 1863; John B. Clay, 1864; J. T. Sleeper, 1865; Fred. Harmoning, 1866;
Lyman Staples, 1867; James Daniels, 1868; F. Longhorst, 1869; Lyman Staples, 1870; J. C. Berlin, 1871; Fred Longhorst,
1873; L. Staples, 1874; J. C. Berlin, 1875; James Daniels, 1876; Lyman Staples, 1877; J. H. Meyer, 1878; James
Daniels, 1879; L. Staples, 1880; J. H. Meyer, 1881; C. H. Wenta, 1882; L. Staples, 1883,
Justices of the Peace. - Mason Sutherland, 1851; Thomas Bradwell and E. K. Whitcomb, 1854; E. P. Keyes, 1856; Thomas
Bradwell and Stephen A. Shepard, l858 to 1862; G. Elfrink and R. Williamson, 1866; Henry Schirding and W. H. Mitchell,
1867; Granville Peek, 1869; Granville Peck and Henry Schirding, 1873; E. P. Keyes, 1875; I. B. Edgerton, 1876;
I. B. Edgerton and Henry Sehirding, 1877; Henry Schirding and Lewis L. Elfrink, 1881; J. J. Gothard, 1882; F. J.
Filbert, 1883. Censtables. - Sidney Sutherland and William White, 1851 ; L. F. Grilley, 1852; L. F. Grilley and
Israel Smith, 1854; William J. Lytle and William Norton, 1857; Homer Galpin and William White, 1858; J. C. Cady,
1860; Myron C. Trumbull and H. B. Galpin, 1862; W. H. Dobell, 1864; I. B. Edgerton and E. French, 1869; W. H, Dobell,
1867; R. B. Foskett, 1869; August Kreft, 1870; Martin Swick and August Kreft, 1873; August Kreft, 1875; Martin
Swiek and Fred Harmoning, 1877; Henry Mundhenke, 1880; Henry Mundhenke and Martin Swick, 1881.
Trustees of Schools, elected at general elections: - George C. Whipple, 1869; Lyman Staples and Israel Smith, 1871;
George C. Whipple, 1873; Lyman Staples, 1874; Timothy Dean, 1875; J. T. Garrison, 1878; J. T. Garrison for two
years and P. H. Kroencke for three years, 1879; Lyman Staples. 1880; P. H. Kroenckc, 1882; Lyman Staples, 1883.
The school records were burnt May 10, 1846, at which time Lyman Staples was treasurer of the school fund. B. B.
Lincoln was treasurer from 1848 to 1854; L. D. Castle from 1854 to 1858; Walter Brookin from 1858 to 1862, and
D. B. Wood from 1882 to the present time. On account of the burning of the recards the date of the division of
the township into school districts cannot be given, but that time, May 10, 1846, there were three districts. No.
1 being the southeast quarter of the township; No. 2, the southwest quarter of the township, and No. 3 the north
half. On May 21, 1846, No. 4 was organized by setting off from Nos. 1 and 2 Sections 21, 28 and 33, and thc west
half of Section 34. On October 5, No. 5 was organized by setting off from No. 3, the northeast quarter of the township.
In 1850 there were eight districts, and a census taken that year enumerates the the school children as follows:
District No. 1, 52 No. 2, 46; No. 3, 50; No. 4, 34; No. 5, 80; No. 6, 31; No, 7, 46; No. 8, 70 total number of
409, indicating a population of nearly twelve hundred. In 1883 the census gave the following enumeration: District
No. 1, 90 No. 2, 98; No. 3, 47; No. 4, 61; No. 5, 68; No. 6, 486; No. 7, 74; No. 8, 54; No. 9, 33 total number,
1,011. The school fund is now $1,445. The public schools of this township are not very well attended, This is owing
to the large proportion of Germans among the people, the proportion being estimated as high as three fourths of
the whole number. The Germans are mostly Lutherans, and under the influence of their ministers send their children
to private Lutheran schools until they arrive at the age of fourteen, when they are confirmed, and afterward permitted
to attend the public schools if they desire to do so and can be spared. But as few children of any nationality
attend the district schools after attaining the age of fourteen, the attendance upon them is not materially effected
by the liberty, above mentioned, accorded to the Germans,
An incident connected with the early history of Cook county may be introduced in connection with the history
of Palatine, as the center of interest was witlnn the limits thereof. This was the great wolf hunt of 1839 (?).
Wolves were numerous and annoying at that time, and the ieople of the northwest part of Cook County determined
on killing off as many of them as possible. With tlns end in view a tract of country was surrounded extending from
the Desplaines River on the east to the Fox River on the west, and from Indian Creek on the north to Dunklee's
Grove on the south. Those participating in the hunt included individuals of all ages front sixteen to sixty, mostly
if not entirely, on horseback, The territory surrounded was gradually reduced in size and the wolves and deer driven
in upon a common center, in Plum Grove, where platforms had been erectod, and which were occupied by those selected
to shoot the game as it came into the Grove. A great many wolves and some deer were driven in, but strange as it
may appoar not a single wolf was killed and only one deer. Sti It the resultas to the wolves was almost the same
as if all had been killed, for though there were many before the hunt, there were few or none afterward. With regard
to the deer the case was different, they being numerous both before and afterward.
VILLAGE OF PALATINE.
This village is located on the Wisconsin Division of the Chicago & North Western Railroad, twenty six miles
from Chicago. The building of this road was the cause of the origin and location of the village at this place.
The railroad reached here in 1853, at which time there were about four houses already erected. It is stated that
Smith Pratt built the first house, but the exact date is not given. A Mr. Faust built the second, Joel Wood the
third and Adolphus Bennett the fourth. In 1855 a switch was put in, the depot built, and a blacksmith shop started
by John Guthrie. In 1856 the store of Elisha Pratt was moved, from about a mile west of the depot by Joseph Slade.
The goods in this store were some time afterward sold tothe Rothschild Bros., and the store rented to them. The
post office that was finally located at Palatine was originally in Elk Grove. It was then moved to the house of
Mason Sutherland, then to that of Moses Kling, on Section 29. When the depot was built at Palatine the post office
was moved there and D. B. Wood made Postmaster in the winter of 1855-56. He held the office about a year. Daniel
Martin was then appointed and held the position from 1857 to 1859. L. J Reeler was then Postmaster front 1859 to
1861 S. A. Shepard front 1861 to 1866; D. B. Wood from 1866 to 1875, and F. G. Robinson from 1875 to the present
On the 19th of March, 1866, a meeting of the citizens was held to consult in reference to incorporating the town
in accordance with the statutes of the State. B. Newoomb was made chairman and R. S. Williamson, clerk. It was
voted to proceed to incorporate the town by thirty six votes for, to two against, the proposition. Another meeting
was held on April 2, 1866, in Slade & Schirding's Hall, to further consider the same snbject. Rev. J. A. Hallock
was mado president of the meeting and R. S. Williamson, clerk. An election resulted in the casting of seventy three
votes for incorporation to twenty against. A meeting was then held on April 9, 1866, for the election of Trustees,
The Trustees elected were Joel Wood. Myron H. Lytle, Henry Schirding. Solon M. Johnson and F. C. Robinson. On the
23d of April F. G. Robinson and Solon M. Robinson were appointed a committee on by laws and ordinances, and on
the 27th the Constable's bond was fixed at $200. and the Treasurer's at $400. Ordinance No 1, describing the boundaries
of the town, was as follows: "Commencing at the northeast corner of the southwest quarter of Section 14; thence
west one mile on Government line to the northwest corner of the southeast quarter of Section 15; thence south one
mile on Government line to the southwest corner of the northeast quarter of Section 22; thence cast one mile on
Government line to the southeast corner of the northwest qnartor of Section 23; thence north one mile to the place
of beginning, containing one mile square." On the 22d of May, 1866, Isaac R. Hale was appointed Constable
and George Van Valkenbnrg Treasurer. On June 1, a committee of three was appointed to plat the town, consisting
of Joel Wood, F. G. Robinson and S. M. Johnson, and in July the plat was surveyed by C. T. Brockman.
The Trustees elected in 1867 were Simeon Barber, Benjamin M. Porter. Laban Putnam, Israel Smith and W. H. Babcock;
in 1868 they were Israel Smith, Laban Putnam, Joel Wood, Timothy Dean and Henry C. Batterman.
The town affairs were managed under this incorporation until 1869. On the 25th of March, of this year, an act to
incorporate the town of Palatine was approved by the Governor. Section 3 of this act is as follows: "That
all those tracts of land embraced within the following boundaries to wit: Commencing at tbe center of Section 23,
Township 42, Range 10 east, thence north to the center of Section 14, thence west to the center of Section 15,
thence south to the center of Section 22, thence east to the center of Section 23 to the place of beginning, be,
and the same are hereby declared to be within the limits or boundaries of said town of Palatine," Section
4 appointed Israel Smith, Joel Wood, Laban Putnam, Henry C. Batterman and Timothy Dean the first Board of Trustees
under the act, and provided that an election be held on the third Monday of March, and on that day of each year
thereafter, for five Trustees
Under this charter the following officers have been elected:
Trustees. - Laban Putnam, M, S. Johnson, Israel Smith, William Richards and J. B. Dobell, 1869; Homer Hopkins,
Henry Schirding, Henry C. Batterman, Laban Putnam and William Richards, 1870; James Wilson, Leban Putnam, Henry
Schirding, William Richards and Henry C. Batternman, 1871; Laban Pntnam, Henry C. Batterman, Henry Schirding and
H, H. Pahlman, 1872; Laban Putnam, Henry Sobirding Henry Laurson, H. H. Pahlman and Henry C. Batterman, 1873; Laban
Putnam, Henry C. Batterman, M. S. Johnson, Fred Harmouing and L. D. Fay, 1874; Laban Putman, John Loges. M. H.
Lytle, Israel Smith and M. S. Johnson, 1875; Israel Smith, M. Schaeffor, M. H. Lytle, John Loges, and J. W. Decker,
1876; John Loges, M. Schaeffer, J. W. Decker, E. French and M. H. Lytle, 1877; Menry Schirding, H. H. Pahlman,
Harris Webster, M. H. Lytle and Henry C. Batterman, 1878; J. H. Pahlman, Henry C. Batterman, Henry Schirding, M.
H. Lytle and L. B. Fay, 1879; Laban Putnam, Fred Harmoning, Henry Schirding, George Schwitzer and Henry C. Batterman,
1880; Henry C. Batterman, Joseph Slade. Fred Harmonong, Henry Schirding and Schwitzer. 1881; Henry Sohirding, Henry
C. Batternian, Joseph Shade, Fred Harmonong and George Schwitzer, 1882; Henry Schirding, Ilenry C. Batterman, Joseph
Slade, Fred Harmoning and George Schwitzer, 1883.
Clerks. - Granville Peck, 1868-70; F. J. Filbert, 1871-78; C. S. Cutting, 1879-83.
Palatine Enterprise. - This paper was started October 1, 1878, by J. A. Battinger, as a six column folio, and independent
Republican in politics. In 1879 it came nnder the control of W. G. Alden, who still publishes and edits the paper.
It is devoted to local as well as political affairs. On the 1st of January, 1880, it was enlarged to a seven column
folio. In 1878 an edition was started for Barrington, which is still cattinued, and is devoted somewhat more to
the interests of Barrington than the Palatine edition. The subscription price is $1.25 per year.
Schools. - A school house was erected just outside the present limits of the town some tinme previous to its
commencing to build up. In 1855 or 1856 it was moved within the corporation. The first teacher after the removal
was Miss Lucina Spring. School was continued in this building nntil a new one, built in 1860, was ready for occupancy.
In 1864 this building was enlarged, and during thetime occupied in its enlargement, the Masonic Hall was used for
the school. The enlarged school house was oecnpied by time school until the present building was erected, in 1869.
It is a two story frame building, with a basement, and contains four school rooms. The school graded at the time
it went into this new building, Since the grading of the school the principals have been B. L. Dodge, 1869-78;
B. L. Barnaby, 1873-74; C. C. Dodge, 1874-75; C. S. Cuttong, 1875-80; C. K. Bitter, one term in the fail of 1880;
Charles Stickney, the rest of the school year; W. D. Simons, 1881-82; A. Rosencrantz, the first two terms of the
school year of 1882-88; W. D. Simons, the spring term of 1883; C. H. Austin commencing in the fall of 1888, present
incumbent, Mr. Austin's assistants are Walter Harrower, grammar department; Miss Frances E. Swick, intermediate
department, and Miss Eva Castle, primary department. The whole number of scholars in attendance is now about two
The Methodist Episcopal Church had its origin very early in the history of Palatine. O. E. Hall, a Methodist minister,
who came up the lakes on and preached on the "James Madison" in 1839, preached in a log school house
at Plum Grove in July of that year, and continued to preach there for some time, once in four weeks, his preaching
being wholly voluntary, as were the contributions for his support. In 1840 a Church organization was effected at
Deer Grove. Religions servicas were conducted once in two weeks in a log school house until 1857, by circuit preachers,
among whom were the Rev. John Nason, the Rev. Mr. Gaddis and the Rev. Henry Whitehead. in 1857, when the Church
was moved to Palatine, there were about fifty members. A frame church building was erected, costing $1,500. This
Church is still used by the society, and the membership is now about forty five. Among the ministers of this Church
have been the Revs. T. L. Olmsted, A. H. Miller, Leonard Clifford, Lucian Hawkins, J. T. Hanna, Mr. Lee, Mr. Wallace,
H. M. Strong, Holmes, W. H. Gannoway and Martin Thatcher.
The Disciple Church was organized at Palatine November 5, 1858, with twenty five members. At first they worshiped
in a private house and also in the school house, A church building was erected in 1865, at a cost of $2,600, on
a lot donated to the society. At this time the Church was in a prosperous condition, having a membership of seventy.
From this time the membership gradually diminished by removals and deaths, and in 1870, the society, being unable
to support itself, sold its church property to the Evangelical Lutheran Church for $2,000. Since this time the
few disciples who have rcmained in Palatine have usually attended the Methodist Church. The ministers of this Church
were the Rev. L. J. Correll, by whose efforts the Church was founded, and who remained two years; he was succeeded
by the Rev. J. F. Parker, who also remained two years. The Rev. J. B. Mallis then followed and remained about three
years, and he was succeeded by the Rev. C. W. Sherwood, who remained about eighteen months. After him the Church
depended mainly on supplies until it ceased to exist.
The Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1868, with twenty members. In 1870 they purchased the
church building erected by the Disciples. The Rev. H. Rathjen, the first minister, remained until 1875, when for
a year or so the pulpit was supplied by the Rev. J. E. Roeder, from Arlington Heights, and by the Rev. H. Smith,
from Schaumburg. The Rev. A. Pohl became pastor in 1877 and remained until 1880, when the present pastor, Rev.
William Graef, succeeded him. The membership of the Church is now fifty.
St Paul's United Evangelical Church was organized in 1872, with fifteen members, and a church building erected
the same year. The church, including the land belonging to the society, cost $5,000. The first preacher was Rev.
Jacob Furrer, who remained until 1873, when he was succeeded by the Rev. C. Krnmm. In 1876 he was followed by the
Rev. William Rodenburg, and the present pastor, the Rev. Fred. Giehel, came in 1882. The membership of the Church
is now fifty.
Palatine Lodge, No. 314, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1861, with nine members. The first officers were P.
C. Lusk, W. M.; Joseph Slade, S. W.; M. S. Johnson, J. W.; Richard Filkins, S. D.; John H. Pahlman, Secretary.
Masonic Hall was built in 1861, It is a two story building and cost about $1,200. The Lodge is now composed of
fifty five members.
Palatine Lodge, I. O. O. F., No 708, was instituted April 20, 1882, with five members. The first officers were
I. M. Kibber, N. G: A. N. Scheffner, V. G.; P. A. Boynton, Secretary; H. Haase, Treasurer; E. Lytle, Warden The
Lodge now consists of thirty eight members and meets in a hall over J. H. Shierding & Co.'s store.
At the present time Palatine contains five dry goods stores, two hardware stores, two drug stores, three wagon
and blacksmith shops, two flouring mills, one a steam, the other a wind mill, the former having a planing mill
and a sash, door and blind factory, and a population of about one thousand inhabitants, while the population of
the whole township is about two thousand.