This township is situated in the northwestern portion of the county, and is bounded on the north by the towns
of Barrington and Palatine, on the south by Bloomingdale, Du Page Co., on the east by Elk Grove, and on the west
by Hanover. The name is taken from Schaunburg-Lippe, a principality of Germany, inclosed by the Russian provinces
of Hesse-Nassau, Hanover and Westphalia, exclusive of some detached lordships. As would naturally be inferred,
the inhabitants of the new Schaumburg are mostly Germans, who years ago settled here, and with that industry and
thrift so characteristic of this people have made the township one among the most productive agricultural districts
in the county. According to the census of 1870, it had 19,415 acres of improved land, while the total value of
farms and farming implements in the township was returned at $812,441. In the same year the valne of live stock
was $124,840, and the number of bushels of corn raised in the township was 31,785. The total value of all farm
products for the same year was $180,500.
The first settler in this locality was Trumbull Kent, who, in 1835, came from Oswego Connty, N. Y., and located
near where would now be Highland Grove, in the town of Palatine. As this was before the land hereabouts was surveyed
or put into the market, he took a claim on what is Snow Section 29, in Palatine, and, a few weeks later, entered
another on Section 8, for his daughter, Almanda Kent, in the present town of Schaumburg. In the same year there
came to Palatine, from the State of New Hampshire, the Bailey family. Amos, the father, and Bancroft, the son,
then a boy in his teens, located on Section 26. Here the elder Bailey lived until his death, in April, 1863, at
the age of seventy nine: Four years after their arrival, viz., on the 3d of March. 1839, Bancroft Bailey was united
in marriage with Almeda Kent, the daughter of Trumbull Kent, already mentioned; which wedding was, so far as is
known, the first in that section. Mr. Bailey is at present a resident of Chicago. The first death in the settlement
was that of William Chowker, a man in the employ of Mr. Ford, and occurred in the fall of 1835. He was buried on
a little rising piece of ground situated on Section 27, and on the banks of Salt Creek. His was the first grave
in what was afterward used as the neighborhood burying ground for many years. William H. Dnnton came to Schaumburg
in 1836, but years later removed into Will County. Another among the early settlers here was Horace P. Williams,
who came to Illinois in 1838, and three years later located in Schaumburg. Mr. Williams, at the time of his arrival
here, had just returned front a visit to Ohio, bringing with him a flock of sheep which he had purchased in that
State, and which, it is claimed, were the first of these animals brought into the township. He then located lands
on Section 14, and began improving them; he soon had one of the finest farms in the county. Mr. Williams lived
on his place until his death, which occurred in 1881, at the ripe age of sixty eight years. He left a landed estate
of 720 acres, valued at $60,000. He was a public spirited man, being one of the founders of the Northwestern University,
and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. William Friese, a well known citizen of this township, came to Cook
County and located here in 1847. He married, in 1852, Miss Caroline Vette, the daughter of Louis Vette, also an
old settler of Schaumburg. Mr. Friese has been a very successful farmer, owning now a fine farm of nearly 800 acres.
He has also been honored by his fellow citizens, who in 1874 chose hint to represent them from the Seventh District
in the Illinois Legislature, a position he filled with credit to himself, and to the entire satisfaction of his
eonstitnency. John Tasse, also an old resident of Schaumburg, came here in 1848, and located on the farm where
lie now lives. He has been Snpervisor of the township for the past six years, and is also a Justice of the Peace,
an office to wlnch. he has been elected for ten consecutive years. Among the many prominent landholders in Schaum-
burg, and who are also to be counted among its old settlers and most substantial citizens, are F. Hinzie, C. Lawrence,
H. Vette, C. Kolling, C. Leiseburg, H. Moyer, H. Redecker, C. Biesterfield, Fred. Thies, W. Whittager, and F. Humbrecht.
The population of the township in 1850 was 489; in 1870, 931 ; and in 1880, 954.
Schaumburg Centre is the post hamlet, and contains a store and blacksmith shop. There are five public and two private
schools; also two Lutheran and one Methodist Church in the township. The first Lutheran Church was organized in
1847, with Rev. F. Hoffman as the pastor; the second Lutheran society was organized in 1863, and the Methodist
in 1875. There are two stores and four cheese factories in the township. The first cheese factory was established
in 1873. since which time dairying has become one of the principal industries of the town.
The township of Schaumburg was organized in the spring of 1850, before which time it formed a part of what was
formerly known as Salt Creek Precinct. The first town meeting was held April 2 of that year, and the following
were the officers chosen: William Schucen, F. Pendleton and H. Pfingrston, Commissioners of Highways; Lyman Johnston
and Henry Seherding, Justices; and Richard Cook and M. Dohle, Constables.