History of York, Il.
From: History of Du Page County, Illinois
BY Rufus Blanchard
O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
Chicago 1882.


IT took its name from the State of New York because its first settlers came from there and planted its institutions in the new prairie soil of the land of their adoption, there to live and grow, which expectation has been verified, perhaps, sooner than was expected, for they have lived to see villages and railroads, schools and churches and farms with luxurious houses on them and all the machinery of old States in working order.

Elisha Fish was the first. He came in the spring of 1833, and settled in what is now Section 26.

In the spring of 1834, Winslow Churchill, Jr., settled where Lombard now is.

Jesse Atwater and John Talmadge came in 1834, and it is probable that some other settlers came in during the same year, among whom were German settlers, spoken of under the head of Addison. Of these the Graue family who settled around Graue’s Grove, close to the line of Addison, might be mentioned. In 1835, Jacob W. Fuller came to this settlement from Broome County, N. Y., and settled on what is now Section 27. He had five sons Benjamin, the oldest, Daniel, the third son, and Morell and Lewis; the two youngest came with him. The next year, 1836, George, the second son of Mr. Fuller, came and settled on Section 27, where he still lives. The youngest brothers, Morell and Lewis, also now live in York. Nicholas Torode, Sr., and Philander Torode came and settled in Section 24 in 1835, and John Bolander came about the same time,
and settled a few miles to the north of them. Henry Reider came the same year.

The next year, Nicholas Torode, Jr., Peter R., C. W. and David H. Torode, came to the place, all these from Mount Vernon, Ohio, and, Oriente Grant, from the Eastern States. Luther Morton, David Talmadge, Edward Eldredge and Sherman King, all came in 1836. The latter built a saw-mill the next year in the south part of the present town, on Salt Creek. The same year (1837), a settlement was begun at what is now Elmhurst, by the arrival of John Glos, Sr., with two other German families, the fathers of whom had married his daughters. His son, John Gloss, Jr., who is now a resident of St. Charles, brought them to the place.

About this time, the farmers had begun to raise something to sell. Chicago was their only market, and, insignificant as it then appeared, there were wholesale dealers there in wheat, pork, hides and every substantial kind of produce, and how to make the roads tolerable to transport them thither was the problem In this direction, the first thing to be done was to build a bridge over the Desplaines River, which was promptly done by the united efforts of the settlers of York and Milton. It was situated about where the present bridge at Maywood now is; and, let it not be forgotten that the early settlers of Pu Page County had the honor of first bridging this turbulent stream.

The settlement thus begun, the next thing was to have preaching on Sundays. Without this consolation, their minds might wander, and their thoughts vanish into mystery, like their vision, as they looked over the lonesome remoteness of the green below, and the blue above, losing themselves in each other's embrace in the dim distance of the praires! Besides, the Sunday exercises would help to keep the young hearts of the boys and girls from getting homesick in thinking of youthful associations left behind! The old folks had less need for diversion, for they had family cares; but the young were looking forward to them with pleasing anticipations and felt the need of instruction.

The Methodists appear to have understood this principle, and were generally the first to supply the demand. To this end, Rev. David Colson, an itinerant of this circuit, visited the place, and was invited to preach at the house of John Talmadge. The date of his first advent has not been preserved; but it must have been as late or later than 1837, as the seats provided for the occasion were made of slabs sawed at Mr. King's mill, just spoken of.

A schoolhouse was built in 1839, which was considered as essential a piece of machinery as the church, when everything has to be built new, and the timber taken from the stumps. Both go hand in hand, at least they did in the early day, for the schoolhouse then was always used on Sunday for a church, and this was, thereby affording relief to the then scanty private houses, where meetings were held. Miss C. Barnes taught school in this house, but she was not the first schoolma'am in the place. Miss Mary Fuller has that distinction. Her school was established in a private house, made vacant by the suicide of an eccentric man named Elias Brown. Yes, even in that primitive day there was one moody sentimentalist wrought up to the frenzy of self destruction. He had come to the place alone, made a claim and built a comfortable cabin to receive his wife and children, who were to follow as soon as suitable preparation had been made to secure a home for them.

Mr. Brown was a good worker and a zealous man in prayer meetings. Often held them at his lonesome cabin, which, though it lacked the magic touch of the female hand to give it an air of comfort, was nevertheless visited by the neighbors in goodly numbers to hear Mr. Brown's unctions prayers, as well as those of others. Brown called these meetings praying matches. Finally his face of nonchalance was missed in the neighborhood, and on going to his cabin to see what was the matter, he was found dead with the cup of laudanum on the table, from which he had taken the fatal draught to relieve himself from some incubus that had laid across his path, intolerable to himself, but unknown to the world. His sons soon came to settle his small estate and returned. The more common diseases that afflict new settlements are fevers and chills, and in justice to this country it is fair to assume that the disease or the cause of it which terminated fatally in Mr. Brown's case was contracted in the East, through some social grievance not common to pioneer settlements.

A small portion of Babcock's Grove lies in York, around which the Churchills and the Babcocks had settled in 1833 and 1834, but, from the most authentic accounts, their claiths were almost, if not entirely, made within the present limits of Milton Township, and their history has been given under that head.

In the spring of 1861, a copious spring of water burst out of the ground, with a concussion that made the ground tremble. It was near the house of Robert Reed. The spring empties into Salt Creek, about three miles above Mr. Graues' grist mill.

Walker's Grove, in the southwest part of York, occupies land enough to make a full section. John Walker settled here in 1835.

The large grove in the southeast part of York, with one on its east line, a little to the north of it, would make at least four sections of land, which would, with the other groves, give one-sixth as the proportion of prairie to the timber in York.

Sections 25, 35, 36 and the diagonal halves of Sections 24, 26 and 34 lie within the limits of the Indian boundary lines, and were, surveyed at an early date and brought into market in June, 1835.

It is impossible to give the dates of the early roads of the country. Most of them had their origin in a trail that marked the prairie by travel between the most prominent points known at the time.

According to a map of Cook and Du Page Counties, drawn by James H. Rees, of Chicago, in 1850, a road passed through this township leading from Chicago to St. Charles; another from a steam mill where Maywood, on the Desplaines, now is, to Warrenville, on the West Fork of the Du Page; another from the house of H. Fischer, on Section 35, in Addison, to the sawmill on Salt Creek, in Section 36, thence to Brush Hill; and a short one leading from the intersection of the St. Charles road with Salt Creek down the stream to the Warrenville road, at the junction with which Eldridge Post Office is put down, Bingham's tavern on the St. Charles road, on Section 12, and Cottage Hill and Bates, on Section 2. These are all the roads and names on Mr. Bees' map of 1850.

The surface of the township is sufficiently rolling for good drainage, but not as uneven as some other townships in the county.

The dairy business is a prominent interest in the township, but the raising of vegetables, especially potatoes, for the Chicago market, is an increasing interest.

York has nine school districts and 875 persons between the ages of six and twenty-one; $23 is reported as the value of her school libraries.

The old saw-mill on Salt Creek was burnt down in 1848, and in 1852 a grist-mill was built in its place by Fred Graue, or Gray (to anglicize it), and W. Arche. It has recently been remodeled by Mr. Gray by putting in a Jonathan mill, with a capacity of 125 barrels superfine flour per day. It runs by steam and water power both. Mr. Gray was one of the pioneer settlers of Addison, who came to the place in 1834. He has been, for the sake of convenience, compelled, though reluctantly, to change his name from its pure German (Graue) to Gray, on account of the faltering manner with which Americans write or attempt to spell it.

DRAIN TILE AND BRICK WORKS.

This establishment, owned by William Hammerschmit, is situated a mile south of Lombard. It employs from ten to fifteen men, and turns out from 60,000 to 70,000 feet of from two to ten inches tile per month, with machine capacity for turning out from 125,000 to 150,000 feet per month. Capital invested, $11,000. The steam power is furnished by a 25 horse power engine.

ELMHURST.

This village or rather tavern stand, as it first was, went by the name of Hill Cottage, a misnomer one would say who came from a mountainous or even a hilly region, yet it was really a hill compared to any intervening lands between it and Chicago, being 106 feet above the lake, the ground graduating upward all the way till the place is reached.

Mr. J. L. Hovey came from Painesville, Ohio, here and opened a taven in 1843. His place soon presented attractions to the lonesome inhabitants of the prairie around in those days, and a request was made that he should petition for a post office at his tavern stand, which soon became the nucleus of a village.

John Wentworth then represented the district in Congress, and to him the petition was sent. The Postmaster General objected to the name on the ground that already many names of post offices began with hill, and suggested a transposition of the name, making it Cottage Hill instead of Hill Cottage. This satisfied the petitioners, and the village was "baptized" accordingly. Not long afterward, Dedrick Mong also opened a tavern, and soon afterward a general store, the first ever established at the place. It stood where the store now occupied by Henry A. Glos stands.

The Chicago & North Western Railroad came through the place in 1849, and Mr. Mong was employed by the company to tend the station.

The place now began to increase in numbers, and another store was opened by Gerry Bates on the spot now occupied by the post office. Soon after this, wealthy men came from Chicago, and the building of those palatial residences, for which the place is remarkable, was begun. These beautiful homes are now shadowed by an artificial forest of elm, maple, pine, cedar and other trees, surrounded by ramparts of arbor-vite hedges, trimmed with linear precision, and during the sultry days of midsummer these tree clad recesses are as inviting as they are ornate.

They are also glad retreats during the nipping blasts of winter, toning down its severity and taking off its keen edge. But their crowning glory is at flood tide during the full moons of autumn, when the glitter of her rays mottles the ground with radiance beneath the foliage of the trees. These suburban delights cannot be purchased at any price in large cities, and the wonder is that more do not embrace the first opportunity to secure them.

The railroad company named their station at the place after the name of the post office - Cottage Hill, but this was changed to Elmhurst, its present name, in 1869.

The place has a good public school where both German and English are taught, but no pupil receives instruction in German till first taught to read and write English. Algebra and other high branches of scholastic education are also taught, besides the common routine of the institution.

The town was platted May 25, 1854, by Anson Bates, situated on the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 2, Town 39, Range 11. Its elevation above Lake Michigan is 106 feet.

COLLEGE AT ELMHURST.

This institution is called the Elmhurst Troseminar of the German Evangelical Synod of North America. It was established by the German Evangelical Synod of the Northwest in 1869, and two years later was transferred to the Synod of North America upon the union of the two Synods in 1871.

The Troseminar is a preparatory school for the Theological Seminary of Missouri, and, besides preparing theological students for said institute, it fits teachers for parochial schools of the denomination, and admits a limited number of pupils to a selected course.

When the school was founded in 1869, the instructors and twelve pupils occupied the residence which was on the property at the time of purchase. Two years later, a brick building was erected, 75x40, and three stories high. The number of pupils was increased threefold, and the growth of the institution was so rapid that five years afterward it was found necessary to build again. A handsome structure, costing $25,000 was then built, which proved no more than sufficient to contain the increased number that sought admittance, and since then the growth of the school has increased steadily.

About 130 pupils can be accommodated, and all the modern conveniences known to the best architects have been adopted in the construction of the recitation, study rooms and dormitories, and the methods of heating, lighting and ventilation were carefuilly considered.

In addition to the theological studies, there are a classical course and complete courses in the German and English languages. Music is not neglected; all are trained in vocal music, and the theological students, as well as those who are preparing to teach, are taught to play on the organ and piano; the teacher pupils, in addition, are instructed in playing the violin.

The grounds cover about thirty acres, twenty acres of which are devoted to a garden, where the students find healthful and useful employ. ment. Except the cooking and laundry work, all the labor is performed by the pupils, who are thereby kept from idleness and mischief.

The School Board consists of a sub committee called Overseers, who report to the Directors, a committee who are responsible to the Synod. The school has no endowment, depending mainly on free-will offerings for maintenance.

The Inspector, or President, in addition to the usual duties of such an office, exercises a general supervision over all the interests of the institution, for which he is personally responsible. The present Inspector, Rev. P. Goebel, succeeded the late Rev. Philipp Meusch in 1880. The remaining members of the Faculty are: J. Lueder, Professor of Latin, Greek and History; W. J. A. Hogan, Professor in charge of the English Department; H. Brodt, Professor of German and Pedagogy; F. Berchtold, Professor of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics; G. Rosche, Professor of Music.-J. Lueder.

ST. PETER'S CHURCH.

This belongs to the German Evangelical Synod of North America in Elmhurst, and was founded May 21, 1876. At this time the number of pupils in the college had increased to an extent sufficient to warrant the building of a church, to enlarge the sphere of its usefulness and turn its teachings in the minds of its pupils in a proper direction. The first members and founders of this church were those who were residents of Elmhurst but had previously attended Immanuel Church at Addison. During the first year of its existence, the professors in the college acted as pastors. Rev. Christian Beck was the first ordained pastor, holding the position from April till October, 1877. Rev. Frederick Boeber succeeded him till March, 18S2, when Rev. Emil Keuchen, the present pastor took the charge. A parsonage and schoolhouse has been built adjoining the church, and a parochial school is taught under its patronage. Fifty four families constitute its membership, the younger children of whom attend the school.

BUSINESS REGISTER OF ELMHURST.

Lumber, coal, grain, flour and feed, etc. Brownell & Strange.
Dry goods and groceries (general store), Henry L. Glos, Charles Most, August Grave.
Hardware and agricultural implements, Adam S. Glos.
Hardware, stoves and tin shop, William Most, Carl Bauer.
Blacksmiths and wagon makers, Louis Balgeman and Louis Rakow; William Geise, blacksmith; Henry Möeller, wagon-maker.
Elmhurst Manufacturing Company, manufacturer of patent spoke driver and wagon fixtures.
Elmhurst Creamery, Arthur Robinson, lessee.
Harness maker and saddler, Peter A. Wolf. Boots and shoes and shoe maker, Nick Peter; D. Benjamin Miche, shoe maker.
Butchers, Rudolph Kraemer, Edward Dulberg.
Tailors, John Barge, Henry Gehrke, Albert T. Schultz.
Painters and paper hangers, Jacob Wittenburg, Frank Blau, Julius Heegard.
Carpenters and joiners, Ernst Balgemann, Henry Battermann, William Hanabeth, Baker, Arthur Silvers, Hermanu Warnecke, Hermann Conrad, John Hahn.
Masons, Henry Boetteher, Henry Morwitzer, William Weigrafe.
Hotel and saloon, William Ohlerich. Saloons, Christian Blievernicht, Franz Boeder, Christian Bell.
Methodist Episcopal, Rev. J. A. Potter.
Evangelical Lutheran, Rev. E. Kenchen.
Roman Catholic, Rev. C. J. Neiderberger.
Physicians and surgeons, F. J. T. Fischer, George F. Heidemann.
Postmaster, Jacob Glos.
Chicago & Northwestern Railway and American Express, Albert S. Brownell, Agent.

VILLAGE GOVERNMENT.

Trustees, Henry L. Glos, George Sawin, Christian Blievernicht, Peter A Wolf; Ernst Balgemann, Henry Hobman, Sr.
President, Henry L. Glos.
Clerk, William H. Litchfield.
Treasurer, George F. Heidemann.
Street Commissioner, Henry C. Holman.

EVANGELICAL SEMINARY AT ELMHURST, ILL.

President, Rev. Peter Goebel.
Professor, Rev. John Lueder.
Professor of English, W.. J. H. Hogan.
Professor of Music, George F. Rosohe.
Teachers, H. Brodt, Fred Berchtold.

CHURCHES.

Trinity Church. - This is located at York Center, and was organized in 1868, when the church was built. It was first a private school a branch of the Addison congregation.

Rev. Theodore Martens was the first pastor, who was succeeded, in 1871, by Rev. C. A. T. Selle, Professor in the Addison Seminary, till 1872, when Rev. G. T. H. Gotsch became pastor, who holds the position to the present time. Sixty families are connected with this church. It has a parish school, numbering about fifty scholars; is connected with the church, in which German and English are taught.

The York Center Methodist Church was organized in 1857. A church was built in 1859, and dedicated June 5, the same year. It numbered about twenty-five members, at first cornposed of Americans only. The German Lu-
therans bought a haif interest in it in 1879, since which time the Germans have increased in aumbers, while the Americans have diminished.

The Catholic Church at Elmhurst. - This was built in the year 1862, by Rev. P. Meinrad, a Benedictine Father, and about twelve Catholic famifies.

In 1864, the Redemptorist Fathers attended this mission every second Sunday from Chicago until 1876, when Right Rev. Bishop Foley elevated it to a parish, appointing Rev. Charles Becker as the first stationary pastor.

He was succeeded, in 1877, by Rev. M. Wolly, and, in 1880, by the present pastor, Rev. C. J. Niederberger, who has, by his clerical bearing in the execution of his duties as pastor, won the esteem not only of his own flock, but of the citizens of Elmhurst, who have verified this by their contributions to improve the grounds of the church and parsonage, with hedge rows and trees and flowers, nor did the friends of the church stop here. Two fine oil paintings, one on each side of the altar, have also been contributed by them. The subjects are the "Madona and the Infant Jesus," which is on the left, and the other, "St. Joseph and the Infant Jesus," which is on the right. They were painted by H. Kaiser, a pupil of the celebrated M. P. Von Deschwandore, of Switzerland. Pictures of the fourteen stations ornament the sides of the church, and the recess, in which is the altar, is tastefully adorned with sacred devices appropriate to the place, and well calculated to inspire the conscientious one who kneels before it with good resolutions. The number of parishioners has now increased to sixty families, one-third of whom are Irish and the other German.

LOMBARD.

This is a pleasantly located village on the eastern boundary of Babcock's Grove, which name was first given to the place. Luther Morton and Winslow Churchill, Jr., made claims in 1834, where this village now stands, and built a log house. Mr. Morton bought his land of the Government when it came into market, and assigned his certificate to his brother, Nathaniel B., in 1843, who sold out to Reuben Mink in 1846, May 14, who in turn sold out to Josiah Lombard, in 1867, who changed the name to that which it now has.

John Rumble came to the place in 1843, and Hiram Whittemore and Levi Ballou in 1846. J. B. Hull came to the place and built a house and store in 1848. He was also first Postmaster, and when the railroad came through the next year he was the station agent. Chauncey Harmon was section boss on the road.

For many years previous to the completion of the railroad, Babcock's Grove enjoyed a wide reputation as a kind of center for a future village when the country should become sufficiently settled to require one. In 1851, there were five frame houses and one store at the place, besides the building owned by the railroad company, which was a depot and hotel and kept by Mr. Parsons.

It was platted by J. S. Lombard and others April 28, 1868. Situated on parts of Sections 5, 6, 7, 8, and 18, Township 39, Range 11. Its elevation above Lake Michigan is 127 feet.

Daniel Shehan came to the place in 1848, and succeeded Mr. Hull as station agent, retaining the post till it was occupied by the present agent.

CHURCH HISTORY OF LOMBARD.

The first church organization which made the village of Babcock's Grove (now Lombard) its center, was inaugurated on November 28, 1851. Rev. E. E. Wells, agent of the "Western Home and Foreign Missionary Association," was present to give form to the enterprise. The following nine persons were the original members: Rev. Charles Boswell and wife, Mr. William Emerson and wife, Mr. Phineas Ames and wife (Mrs. Ames was a daughter of Mr. and. Mrs. Emerson), Mrs. Pamela Filer, Mrs. Margaret Dodge (wife of Mr. Pardon Dodge) and Mr. Ebenezer Landers.

The Congregational Church of Babcock's Grove, thus organized, stood firm and square, not only upon the ancient foundations, but also upon the live issues of the day. It opened its fellowship to "all who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity, who have witnessed a good profession before men and practically honor their Master ;" hut in welcoming to the Lord's Supper all such believers, it said also: "Persons engaged in the manufacture, sale or use of intoxicating liquors as a beverage, slaveholders and apologists for slavery are not included in this invitation."

For several years, the Sabbath worship and the Sabbath school, which was a year older than the church, were held in the village schoolhouse, a building about half-a-mile east of the present Lombard Station, and now used as the dwelling of Mr. D. Klussmeyer.

In 1852, the little company was increased by the addition of Mr. and Mrs. William Neff and Mrs. Mary Miller (first wife of Mr. Thomas Miller). Rev. James McChesney and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Mather and Mrs. Sarah E. Somers (a daughter of Mr. William Emerson) were added to it in February, 1855. In the same month, the church at Danby (now Prospect Park), which had been organized in January, 1850, was dissolved, and of its members, Mr. Stephen Van Tassel and wife, Mr. Alfred Standish and wife, Mrs. R. Rudock, Mrs. Martha Dean, Mrs. Fidelia Ober (wife of Mr. David Ober), Mrs. Mercy Churchill, Mrs. Cornelia Brooks and Mrs. H. Ackerman immediately joined the church of Babcock's Grove.

In the autumn of 1856, the meetings began to be held in the Baptist Church at Du Page Center (now Stacy's Corners), in the township of Milton, that point being more central for the congregation as changed by the recent additions. The church, however, still kept as a preaching station its old place at "The Grove."

The body had become strong enough in 1860 to consider the matter of "building meeting houses at Danby and Babcock's Grove." A resuit of this movement was the organization, in February of that year, of the "Congregational Society of Danby," for the purpose of erecting a building and caring for the financial affairs of the church. No corresponding work was effected at Babcock's Grove.

April 27, 1861, the church unanimously "resolved that this church shall hereafter be known as the 'First Congregational Church of Danby,' and its regular place of worship shall be in that village."

Of the church whose history is here dropped, Rev. Charles Boswell was the first pastor and clerk. He died, in the pastorate, in 1852 or 1853. Rev. Harry Jones seems to have been a preacher here, as well as at Danby, in 1853. But Rev. James McChesney was pastor of the church during the greater part of its existence, remaining with it after its location at Danby. He acted also as Clerk, and the public is indebted to him for the preservation of his faithful records of the early times. The first Deacon of the church was Mr. William Emerson, who held that office until his death, which occurred about 1856.

From 1861 to 1866, no church organization existed in the village. The death or removal of early supporters and the confusions incident to the war conspired to prevent such work; but preaching was sustained pretty regularly and the Sunday school was frequently in a vigorous condition. Among its early Superintendents were successively Rev. Mr. Boswell, Mr. W. Emerson, Mr. Phineas Ames, Mr. Adam Hatfield, Mr. Seth Churchill, Mr. -- Davis and various men who had acted as temporary preachers.

In 1859, the schoolhouse now in use was built, and the congregation removed thither.

In the autumn of 1864 since which time the writer has been familiar with the town history and the succeeding winter, Rev. Mr. Wateman was Superintendent. J. T. Reade served from March, 1865, to the close of 1866. This brings the school inside the time when a more permanent church force began to be operant.

During the years 1865-69, the population of the village was increased by the coming of many familes specially interested in Christian institutions and public-spirited in giving freely for their support.

In the summer of 1866, Mr. (now Rev.) James Tompkins, then a student of Chicago Theological Seminary, had been preaching to the congregation for several months, the meetings being held in the schoolhouse. On the 26th of July of that year was formed

The First Church of Christ, Babcock's Grove, and on August 2, a council of the neighboring churches and clergymen met and gave it a brotherly recognition. Six denominations were represented in the original membership of fourteen. It was, as it is claimed to be, a Union Church of Evangelical Christians, and at first kept free from all ecclesiastical connections. The persons thus allying themselves were:

Joseph B. Hull and Fanny E., his wife; Isaac Claflin and Mary W., his wife; Josiah T. Reade and Christia (now deceased), his wife; Allen B. Wrisley and Lucy, his wife; Mrs. Clarissa Frisbie (now deceased); Mrs. Margaret A. Niller (now deceased), second wife of Mr. Thomas Miller; Mrs. Emily Fish; Miss Lydia N. Hull (now deceased); Miss M. Albina Harris (now Mrs. Frank Hull); and R. Franklin Claflin.

The meetings continued to be held mostly in the schoolhouse. But, in about two years from its organization, the church having increased well in numbers and means, a beautiful chapel was erected on the lot at the northeast corner of Main and Maple streets, the spot now occupied by the residence of Mrs. John Bracken. It was dedicated on December 3, 1868. This building was destroyed by an incendiary fire on the night of August 27, 1869.

Up to this time the church property had been owned by the church itself; an incorporated body. Immediately after the loss of its edifice an "ecclesiastical society" was formed to manage financial affairs. This body thought best to change the church location, and therefore built its new house on North Main street. This was used for worship till 1873.

The pastors of this church were: Rev. James Tompkins, from its origin to May, 1869; Rev. Osmar W. Fay, from June, 1869, to November 2, 1869; Rev. Henry T. Rose, from May, 1870, to October, 1871; and after this Rev. Josiah A. Mack, for a time not recorded exactly. The first Deacon of this church was J. T. Reade, and Isaac Claflin was its first Clerk.

The village, having been incorporated in 1869 as the "Town of Lombard," the church underwent a corresponding change of name.

The First Congregatioual Church of Lombard was formed October 22, 1869, with thirteen original members. With the exception of three, they came directly from the "First Church of Christ," and were as follows:

Nathaniel S. Cushing and Elizabeth B., his wife; Newton Chapin and Caroline B., his wife; A. B. Chatfield and Emma L., his wife; J. Benson Vallette and Ruth M., his wife; Mrs. Margaret A. Miller (now deceased); Mrs. J. E. Ambrose; Miss Eva C. Cushing; Noah Shepardson; and Charles M. Lewis (now deceased).

An ecclesiastical society to work in connection with the church was also formed, and a church building was immediately commenced at the southwest corner of Main and Maple streets. It was dedicated May 29, 1870, and is still used as a place of worship.

On January 20, 1870, a council of Congregational Churches and clergymen met and recognized this church as a member of Congregational sisterhood.

Rev. O. W. Fay, having closed his connection with the older church, became pastor of this immediately upon its organization, and continued with it till 1872. The first Deacons were N. S. Cushing and Newton Chapin, and the first Clerk was J. B. Vallette.

The First Church, Lombard.-In 1873, the impolicy of sustaining two churches of the same general faith having been thoroughly demonstrated, the two were discontinued, by agreement, and on May 2 of that year, the present organization, bearing the above name, was formed. It is "Evangelical" in its creed, and Congregational in its polity, and belongs to Chicago Association. It occupies the "south side" church, having sold the other building.

The church had no regular pastor until April, 1874. Rev. Charles Caverno then commenced his work, in which he still continues. Nathaniel S. Cashing and Allen B. Wrisley were the first Deacons. The first Clerk and Treasurer was William L. Rogers (now deceased).

There are now eighty resident members. The financial affairs are cared for by an allied society of the usual form. Among the enterprises that look hither for their inspiration is the church library, partly of religious, but mostly of general literature, numbering about eight hundred volumes, and now open to the general public.-J. T. READE.

BUSINESS MEN.

I. Claflin, real estate.
B. T. Teets & Sons, hardware.
August Koerber, miller.
C. Fabri, harness-maker.
R. Grunwald, shoe-maker.
P. Arnoldi, shoe-maker.
A. B. Wrisley, soap manufacturer.
W. Stuenkel, butter and cheese factory. He receives 6,000 pounds of milk daily and makes 300 pounds of cheese; also 200 pounds of butter daily.
A. E. and D. C. Hills, general store.
A. E. Hills, general auctioneer.
Gray & Malcomb, hardware and farm implements.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy