History of Buck Township, Edgar County, Il
From: Encyclopedia of Illinois and the History of Edgar County
Edited by: H. Van Sellar.
Munsell Publishing Company
Chicago 1905

Buck Township lies next west of Paris, all prairie, with an area of 28,160 acres (44 sections), every bit now well drained land and of excellent quality. In this town are many of the finest farms in the county. The Terre Haute & Peoria division of the Vandalia Railway runs through the town. One station, Mays, is centrally situated in Buck and another (Redmon) is on the western boundary of the town, thus furnishing easy markets for the agricultural productions the rich lands afford. There was no stream within this town and no timber land, consequently it was settled later than other parts of the county. The town was named for President Buchanan, who was familiarly called “Buck” in the campaign of 1856. Culbertson, Davis, Devers, Breeden. Cash, Bucklers, Burnham, Stewart, Jump, Rudy, Boyle, Mays, Kerns and Doughertys were the early settlers.

TOWN OFFICERS.—Thomas J. Brewer, Supervisor; S. M. Barr, Town Clerk; W. A. Newcomer, Assessor; Bernie Younger, Collector; Douglas Milburn, W. T. Younger, Justices of the Peace; Isaac Leach, L. A. Henn, Constables; William Henn, F. F. Waller, J. A. Fischer, Commissioners of Highways.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy