History of Edgar Township, Edgar County, Il
From: Encyclopedia of Illinois and the History of Edgar County
Edited by: H. Van Sellar.
Munsell Publishing Company
Chicago 1905

Next south of Ross is the Town of Edgar, with an area of 23,040 acres (36 sections), mostly prairie of first quality. This town was well settled long ago by the McKees, Hoults, Hartleys, Sayres, Baileys, Stage, Williams. Winn, Mitchell, Tuckers, Larkin, Calvins, et al. It is situated on both sides of the highway laid out in 1823, leading from “Old Vincennes” to Chicago. In the ‘40’s Bloomfield, a village on this road east of the present village of Edgar on the Cairo, Vincennes & Chicago Railway, was quite an important trading point, and the quantity of merchandise sold there was equal to that sold in Paris. The railroad built from Danville to Cairo missed Bloomfield a mile or more, and the village began at once to collapse, and now, cornfields and meadows are seen instead of stores, shops and dwellings of the days when it rivaled Paris in busy wealth.

Toww OFFICERS.—Charles W. Seybold, Supervisor; C. C. N. Perry, Town Clerk; Luther Fulton, Assessor; Thomas J. Evans, Collector; M. D. Bush, H. W. Brown, Justices of the Peace; John Church, Cassius Baker, Constables; John Ashley, Rufus Milam, John Glithers, Commissioners of Highways.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy