History of Sims, Edgar County, Il
From: Encyclopedia of Illinois and the History of Edgar County
Edited by: H. Van Sellar.
Munsell Publishing Company
Chicago 1905

South of Paris is the Town of Sims, being all timber land except a small fraction in the northwest corner, and with an area of 28,160 acres (44 sections). This section was occupied at a very early day, and long before the prairie region was settled, because of the prevailing belief among the people who came first that the prairie was unfit for human life. In 1860 Sims and the Town of Elbridge possessed more wealth than all the county besides, except Paris, Edgar and Hunter. Now Sims owns less, perhaps, than any other town in the county, owing to the development elsewhere and the greater value placed upon lands in other towns.

TOWN OFFICERS.—Joseph Connery, Supervisor; O. K. Beatty, Town Clerk; Gideon Rhoads, Assessor; John D. Baker, Collector; John Swiger, Michael Daily, Justices of the Peace; G. H. Collier, Henry Elliott, Constables; John F. Frazier, John Hanks, J. B. O’Hair, Commissioners of Highways.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy