This township was organized April 2, 1850, and on the same day was held an election which gave to the new township
its first officers, namely: E. S. Beardsley, supervisor; W. Freming, clerk; Reuben Bronson, assessor; L. C. Beardsley,
collector; A. Skinner, S. Brayton and O. Jacobs, commissioners; A. E. Wilcox and W. Cullen, justices of the peace;
Harvey Blake and James Tomlin, constables.
The township is drained by Little Indian Creek, and can claim the finest of prairie land. The first settlement
was made by Mordecai Disney and his son-in-law, who claimed all of the land of the township and who settled on
section 27, in the year 1836; they remained in the county about two years. The list of other settlers in the '30s
includes the names of Nathan Townsend, Aaron Beardsley, Joshua Richardson, Reverius and Aaron Wilcox, Henry G.
Beardsley, William Sargent, Reuben Bronson, Nathaniel S. Pierce, Andrew Anderson, Ole T. Oleson, Halvar Nelson,
Thove Tifiotson, Paul Iverson, Hans O. Hanson, Osman Thomason. The foregoing roster shows that a goodly number
of the early settlers were from Norway. Thomas Lett. was one of the early and influential pioneer settlers in Adams
Township. In this township is situated the Village of Leland. The line of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad traverses the northern part of the township.