History of Earl Township, LaSalle County, Il
From: History of LaSalle County, Illinois
By: Michael Cyprian O'Byron
The Lewis Pullishing Company
Chicago and New York 1924

All available records seem to indicate that C. H. Sutphen. and John Dow, who came from Boston, were the first settlers in this township, in April, 1834. D. A. Ballard and Corwin Doan, likewise from Boston, came in the autumn of the same year. The names of other pioneer settlers of the '30s are as follows: Albert Dow, John Thornton, Hannah Benedict, Samuel O. Carter, James M. Phillips, Abram Foster, Russell Bliss, Maj. D. Wallace, Alexander and Allen Brown, Daniel Smith, and Samuel Stilson.

The township was named after the Village of Earl in the State of New York, and was organized in 1850, all early records of the township having been destroyed by a fire that occurred March 22, 1867, so that the names of the first township officials are not available.

The vital and attractive little City of Earlville is situated in this township.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy