A consistent name has been applied to this beautiful farming district of the county. The township is well drained
by Bailey and Cedar creeks, and the soil is prolific. Here the Village of Tonica is a station on the Illinois Central
In 1830 Nathaniel and Dr. David Richey, brothers, came from Muskingum County, Ohio, and made settlement in this
township, and in the same year David Letts and his family likewise came from the old Buckeye State. Nathaniel Manville,
of Pennsylvania, came in 1835, and platted the Village of Manville, which never advanced far beyond this status.
John Hendricks here settled in 1831. Other early settlers were John Myers, William Kelly, Thomas Wakeman, Resolved
H. Potter, Joseph T. Bullock, Leonard Bullock, Asa Eoldridge, Nathaniel Eddy, William Groom, Ira S. Mosher, Amos
A. Newton, Joel B. Miller, Angus McMillan, James Little, Harvey McFerson, Willis Moffatt, Rev. Reuben H. Moffatt
(a Methodist clergyman), and Sanford and Reman Harwood. Many of the pioneer settlers came from the State of New
Eden Township was organized April 2, 1850, and in that year its first officials were elected, namely: N. M. Letts,
supervisor; T. S. Seybold, clerk; L. W. Weston, assessor; Henry Kingsley, collector; N. Richey, Ira Mosher and
L. L. Bullock, highway commissioners; Samuel Underhill, T. S. Seybold, justices of the peace; D. Foot and Thomas
In this township the Village of Tonica was laid out in 1853, and the last official census gives it a population
of about 500. This is one of the attractive and prosperous villages of the county.