This township was organized April 2, 1850, and it included in its boundaries the present Fall River Township,
which was erected in 1863. The township received its name from the rapids in the Illinois River, on its original
In 1829 Henry Hibbard, from Cincinnati, Ohio, here entered a claim in section 5, a place later known as the Ebersol
farm. On this claim John McKernan settled in 1831, upon acquiring the property, and in 1834 he sold the place to
Joseph Ebersol, who came with his family from Pennsylvania. Other early settlers were Eleazor Hibbard, Judge David
Reynolds and his son Benjamin B., Luke Rugg, John Anderson.
In the first township election the following named officials were chosen: Supervisor, Abram Trumbo; clerk, John
Shaw; assessor, B. B. Reynolds; collector, O. O. Wakefield; highway commissioners, James Galloway, S. Devine, W.
Smith; justices of the peace, A. Harley, P. Ryan; constables, W. Smith, O. O. Wakefield.