All available data point to the conclusion that this township received its name from the old mission here established,
in 1826, by Jesse Walker, a missionary of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Jesse Walker, who thus became the first
white settler within the borders of the present Mission Township, established his frontier mission at the head
of Mission Creek. Concerning this undertaking the following record has been given: "At that time many Indians
of the Pottawatomie tribe were located on and near Fox River. The object of the mission was to convert the Indians
and educate their children. The project failed, and the mission was afterward burned by the Sauks or Sacs. After
the white settlers came in, the Indians abandoned the cultivation of the soil, and obtained their supplies from
their white neighbors. Bulbona, a half-breed French and Indian, bought forty acres of Walker's improvements, and
had also a reservation in what afterward became section 15."
The next white settlers in the township were a man named Schermerhorn and his son-in-law, named Hazieton, they
having here settled, on section 10, in 1831. Other pioneer settlers of the '30s were Peter Miller, John S. Armstrong,
Fielding and Martial (possibly Marshall) Heavenhill, Samuel Jackson, G. F. Barkley, Samuel P. Barber, Beach Fellows,
Joseph Mason, William Clumb, Jesse Pearson, A. Harmon, J. S. Whitehead, Fletcher Misner, the Rood brothers, J.
Jackson, Robert Rowe, Henry Verbeck, L. Lester, Jesse Ables, M. Green, Nathaniel Hibbard, Timothy Hibbard, and
Mission Township was organized in 1850, and its original boundaries thereafter remained intact until 1876, when
the southern part of the township was set off and organized as Miller Township. The first officials of the township
were: Supervisor, Joshua Lewis; clerk, L. Rood; assessor, J. S. Armstrong; collector, L. H. Rood; highway commissioners,
A. Hose, J. F. Rassel, E. Neff; justices of the peace, Lars Larson, H. I. Brimhall; constables, Nels Nelson, Levi
Mission Township, according to the census of 1920, has a population of 1,252, including the Village of Sheridan
and a part of the Village of Millington, and also the Village of Norway.
About one-third of the Village of Millington lies within the borders of Mission Township, the remainder being in
The Village of Norway, in the prosperous Norwegian settlement in the southern part of the township, has a population
of less than 100, as indicated by the official census of 1920.
The thriving and attractive Village of Sheridan was founded in the late '60s, and it was incorporated June 24,
1872. This is a progressive community, the village is a prosperous trade center ina fine agricultural district,
and in its physical provisions and civic advancement has kept pace with the march of progress.