Like most of the other rural divisions of La Salle County, this township lost somewhat in population within
the decade between the census of 1910, which recorded 768, and that of 1920, which gives the population as 694.
The township is in the northeast corner of the county, and its only stream of any appreciable order is Somonauk
Northville Township was organized in 1850, in which year its first officials were elected, as follows: Supervisor,
W. L. F. Jones; clerk, William Slye; assessor, Levi Wright; collector, J. Poor; highway commissioners, James Dickson,
H. H. Hendrick, L. Suppes; justices of the peace, M. H. West, R. Smith; constables, F. Warner, D. J. Hunt.
The first settlements in this township were made in 1834, and it is possible to give the names of a number of the
pioneers who came here prior to 1840. Letsome, Dubois and Armstrong, typical frontiersmen, established themselves
in this township in an early day. In the fall of 1835 John T., Charles, Barney S., Lindsey, and R. P. Carr settled
on section 26, they having come from Onondaga County, New York. From that county came also Isaac Potter, who arrived
in 1834 and who is credited with having been the first real settler in the township, where he was later joined
by his brothers Darius and Lyman. Another pioneer from the same county of the Empire State was Eli M. Kinne, who
arrived in October, 1835. Other names of pioneers of that decade are Lewis Suppes, Henry Hull, Joseph Stockham,
David Crawford, William Slye, Abijah Haman, Samuel Lewis, Levi Wright, Conrad and Frederick Smith, Horace Williams,
James Whitmore (who was later joined by his brothers Harvey, Murray, David, Joseph, Tracy and Albert), Orange Potter,
Moses H. West, John Potter, Jonathan Cooley, James Roberts, Henry G. Murray, Harrison W. Sweetland, Nathaniel Seaman,
Jacob and Richard Seaman, Thomas Grandsen, W. L. F. Jones, Hugh Allen, Daniel McNett, Henry Curtis, Samuel Graff
John and Henry Sherman, Jeremiah Hough, and Samuel and George Warner.
The embryonic - Village of Asberry was early founded in this township, but the coming of the railroads caused its
utter decadence as a trading point.