This township, under the name of Salisbury, was organized April 2, 1850, the present name having been adopted
a few years later. The township has within its borders the City of Peru, including which its population in 1910
was 8,620, the census of 1920 giving the population as 9,227.
Prominent among the pioneers who here settled within the period from 1830 to 1835, inclusive, were John Hays, Lyman
D. Brewster, William Paul, Ulysses Spaulding, and Theron D. Brewster. The Illinois River crosses the township from
east to west and divides it into approximately equal parts.
The history of Peru Township is amplified in a measure by the record concerning the City of Peru, on other pages
of this publication.
The first township officers (1850) were as here designated: Supervisor, John Hoffman; clerk, W. Chumasero; assessor,
Richard Cody; collector, James Cahill; highway commissioners, J. D. Matheny, M. Burk, W. Roush; justices of the
peace, P. M. Kilduff, P. Cosgrove; constables, M. Griffith, James Cody.