AMBOY TOWNSHIP AND CITY.
A Frenchman by the name of Filamalee is believed to have been the first white settler in Palestine Grove, within
the present limits of Amboy Township. His shanty is said to have been located about a mile below Rocky Ford. He
was a roving character and soon disappeared.
The first permanent settler was John Dexter, who emigrated from Canada in the spring of 1835 and staked out a claim
on the northwest quarter of Section 14, north of Palestine Grove. His nearest neighbors were at Inlet Grove. In
1836 James Doan and wife settled at Palestine Grove.
The district known as Palestine Grove was not confined to the timber, but extended to the site of the city of Amboy,
and also eastward about two miles beyond the Lee Center town line.
In 1837 Dexter's brother-in-law, Andrew Bainter, located in the neighborhood. In October of the same year, Asa
B. Searles arrived from New York, whence he had driven with a horseteam. He came by way of Peoria where Benjamin
Wasson joined him. Mr. Searles staked off a claim in the south half of Section 14, on which he later laid out the
Villagc of Binghamton. He was the first Postmaster in the settlement. Warren Badger succeeded him. His commission
was dated May 28, 1840, and made him Postmaster at Winooski, the name by which Palestine Grove office was then
designated. Nathan Meeks, who acquired a reputation of the banditti order, was living about four miles south and
west of Rocky Ford the same year. His "Corn Cracker," situated on Green River, is claimed to have been
the first mill for grinding grain in Lee County.
When Mr. Searles arrived he found a sawmill in operation at Rocky Ford, owned by Timothy Perkins and Hence Bowen.
After passing through several hands, in 1848 it became the property of F. R. Dutcher. A log dam created the mill
pond, and the mill was run by a "flutter-wheel."
The year 1838 seems to have been a notable one for the arrival of settlers; for in this year, James Blair and three
sons, William, Winthrop and Edwin, arrived, and John S. Sawyer and four sons erected a cabin south of the ground
now occupied by the Illinois Central shops. In 1841 Sawyer sold a part of his claim to Joseph Farrell and the remainder
to Joseph Appleton. Alexander James likewise became a resident that year, and a year later sold his claim to Chester
S. Badger, who, after working as millwright, in the year 1837 returned to his New York home in the fall. In 1838
Mr. Badger and his son Simon became permanent settlers. In 1839 Warren, another son, arrived bringing the mother
and her two daughters, Sarah and Roena. In the autumn Warren went back to New York and remained until 1842, when
he again came west and resided in Amboy Township until his death in 1861. In 1840 Chester Badger, a younger son,
drove through from New York with a two horse team. He still tesides in Amboy and is the only surviving member of
The Badger's located their homestead about a mile and a half east of Amboy. Henry Badger came in 1849 and lived
in Binghamton up to the date of his death, a few years ago. The father, Chester S, brought hardwood lumber from
Franklin Grove and built the first frame house in the settlement. John C. Church, William Church, Curtis Bridgman
and two sons, and Wm. Hunt arrived in the summer and fall of 1838. Also came this same year, Martin Wright, Frederick
Baldwin, Harvey Axtell, Ransom Barnes and Frederick Bainter. About this time Curtis Bridgman located about two
miles southeast of the present site of Amboy. James Daley was an arrival of 1842, as was also William Rolf. John
H. Gardner came in 1844. In this same year J. Henry Adams, then a child of eleven years, reached the neighborhood
with his father, Orris, and mother. Cyrus Davis came in 1839. Space will not permit us to name the settlers of
Binghamton promised to be the town of the section. It was laid out in 1848 by Asa B. Searles. It had a store and
a hotel. Robert G. Ingersoll, who lived to impress the country with his oratory aad agnosticism, then about fifteen,
was a boy of all work about the inn for a year or so. In 1844 the first flouting mill in the county was built,
and in 1858 passed into the hands of Chester and Henry Badger. Chester Badger made thirteen trips to Chicago, some
of which were with ox team, hauling grain, going and bringing timber back for this mill. It was burned in 1872,
and immediately rebuilt, but was finally destroyed by lightning in 1881. The place also had two plow factories
at one time and a saw mill, blacksmith shop, shoe shop, wagon shop and carding machine. A dozen or more of the
residences still remain in a good state of preservation. The removal of the Badger dam was necessary to give sufficient
outlet to the ditches of Inlet Swamp Drainage District Proper proceedings to this end resulted in its entire removal
in the summer of 1900.
Rocky Ford (also known as Shelburn) was likewise a place of activity in the early days. The Indian trail from Council
Bluffs to Chicago crossed Green River or Inlet Creek, at this point It had a saw mill, a distillery and two stores.
In 1856 the Shelburn Manufacturing Company erected an extensive distillery and fiouring mills combined, at a cost
of $65,000. In 1859 the property was wrecked by an explosion, and ten years later, fire finished the work. This
was practically the last of Shelburn.
A plat of "Palestine" was made May 10, 1854, and serves to mark the probable center of the Palestine
Grove settlement. The plat was located about a quarter of a mile northwest of Rocky Ford, and consisted of three
blocks of ground, two of which were on the Dixon and Peoria road. It was laid out for Rhoda E. Hook who, it is
to be presumed, owned the ground. It was here on one of the Palestine lots that those of the Mormon faith laid
the corner stone of a temple which never rose higher than this foundation stone.
CITY OF AMBOY.
Amboy is an offspring of the Illinois Central Railroad. The town was laid out in 1854. The first residences
were those of L. W. Borden, B. S. Reynolds and Dr. David Bainter, erected that year. In 1855 the extensive shops
of the company were built. By the spring of 1856 the population was estimated at 1,000. R. D. Peironett was the
first merchant to start business in the town, and Samuel Goldman the second. Next came Josiah Little in 1854, his
line consisting of drugs, hardware and groceries. In the same year Wilcox & Wooster built a store, the lumber
for which, as well as that for Little's store, was hauled from Mendota, and the stone from Lee Center. In 1855
the business of the place greatly increased. The first bank was started that year by G. H. Ambrose and Francis
Little. The "Lee County Times," the first newspaper to be published in the town, was started the same
year. This paper under date July 31, 1856, speaks of the place thus: 'We have now between 2,000 and 3,000 inhabitants,
two churches and another in process of construction, about thirty stores and groceries, a steam planing mill and
sash factory, three hotels, two livery stables and, in fact, establishments of almost every variety."
The town became incorporated as a village under the general law in 1854-5. A. E. Wilcox was President of first
Board of Trustees. It was incorporated as a city by act of the Legislature, March 2, 1857. John B. Wyman was its
first Mayor. It was incorporated under the general law, May 8, 1888.
The shops of the Illinois Central Railroad, above referred to, frequently employed 400 men. In 1885 reduction of
the force was commenced, so that in 1894 there were about 200 at work. In that year the machinery was removed,
principally to Freeport and Clinton, and the extensive buildings were vacated. One is now occupied by the bridge
building works of C. C. Jacobs, and the others are rapidly going to decay.
The loss of these shops was a severe blow to Amboy, from which, however, she has slowly recovered until she has
at last reached a stage of prosperity probably equaling, if not surpassing, that of the factory days, when the
shops dominated the town. She has water works, electric lights, long stretches of cement walks and shows evidence
of general thrift and steady growth. Her water supply is drawn from a well 2,000 feet deep.
Fires.- Amboy has been visited by several disastrous fires. The first occurred December 10, 1863, from which there
was a total loss of $35,000, with insurance amounting to $14,000. The next occurred in the same locality November
10, 1864, and destroyed five business houses; loss $45,000, with $38,000 insurance. Another fire did its destructive
work, March 10, 1865, sweeping away seven business buildtags. Again, August 24, 1867, sixteen buildings were licked
up by the flames - the estimated loss being $7,500, with insurance for about onehalf that amount. April 2, 1868,
four business places were burned down. But by far the most calamitous fire was that of August 25, 1871. Twelve
buildings were consumed, causing a loss of $175,000, on which there was an insurance of $103,000. The most deplorable
feature of this holocaust was the burning to death of John Shannon, who was confined in the calaboose for the unlawful
selling of mortgaged property. Besides these were numerous fires not general in their effect.
School Houses.- The first school building in Amboy was the two story brick now in use, erected in 1857. Next, in
1864 came the onestory frame building in Gilson's Addition. Following this, the old Methodist church was purchased
and, in 1868, the two story brick on the west side was added to the number. About 1896 a modern building was erected
for the use of three departments, at a cost, all complete and ready for school, of a trifle less than $15,000.
Churches.- Father Gorbus, a Methodist minister, was the first to hold service in the section covered by Amboy Township.
Father Hetcher, a German Baptist, was probably the next. It is supposed that Rev. Curtis Lathrop was the third,
and Father White the fourth both Methodists. In 1843, the "Congregational Church of Palestine Grove"
was formed at the home of Amos Crombie, the first of that denomination in the county. The first pastor was John
Morrel, who was followed by the father of the great agnostic, Robert G. Ingersoll. Following him came Joseph Gardner
and Mr. Pierson. About 1849 the place of worship was moved to Lee Center, and the society name changed accordingly.
From this the present Amboy church of that denomination has descended. In 1840 a Methodist class was organized
in the vicinity of Binghamton where, in 1850, a house of worship was erected. When Amboy came into being the building
was abanconed for the one early erected there.
One branch of the Mormon church secured a considerable foothold in the neighborhood of Rocky Ford, near which they
were instrumental in having the town of Palestine laid out. At one time there were sixty members. The founder,
Joseph Smith, visited friends at Palestine Grove, where he was arrested in 1843 on requistion of the Governor of
the State, issued at the instance of the Governor of Missouri. In 1860 the annual conference of the branch referred
to convened in Amboy.
A meeting for the organization of the Baptist church of Amboy was held March 24, 1855, resulting in the founding
of the First Baptist church of Amboy. Messrs. Hill and Bryant were deacons and W. E. Ives clerk. Rev. P. Taylor
was the first pastor, and services were held in a small church building, on Main Street west of the railroad tracks,
which cost about $500. During Mr. Taylor's pastorate the present church building was erected at a cost of $4,500.
The first public meeting held in the new church was addressed by Owen Lovejoy of Princeton, Ill., and J. V. Eustace
of Dixon. Both were strong anti-slavery champions. At the end of the second year, Mr. Taylor resigned and was succeeded
by T. H. Ball. The church was dedicated September 13, 1857, the sermon being preached by Rev. Silas Tucker, of
Galesburg. Reverend Ball was succeeded in September, 1858, by J. C. Miller, who resigned to accept the Chaplaincy
of the Thirteenth Illinois Regiment, Company "C" of which was composed of Amboy citizens, to each of
whom a new testament was presented on their departure. This building had the only large audience room in the place,
and was consequently the gathering place for war meetings which were incident to the period. Following Mr. Miller
came W. R. Webb in May, 1861. During his pastorate the General Association of the State met here. Mr. Webb served
as pastor four years and was followed in June, 1865, by Rev. J. H. Hazen, daring whose term the parsonage was built
and the church building put in thorough repair. Following Mr. Hazen was Rev. James Buchanan, who, acting as pastor,
was in reality a supply. About 1870, Rev. M. T. Lamb came to the pastorate. August 27, 1871, the records were destroyed
by fire. New records were opened March 26th following. September 8, 1872, George Wesselius became pastor and resigned
the last Sabbath in March, 1874. On the first Sabbath of the succeeding November, W. D. Clark was called. Succeeding
Mr. Clark came N. A. Reed, who resigned June 8, 1881, to be succeeded by B. H. Humphrey on the 16th of the next
October. He remained until September 25, 1882. Then came Mr. Fuller, who served temporarily for about a year. D.
W. C. Hervey came to the pastorate in November, 1884, and was followed in February, 1887, by W. L. Jones, who resigned
February 1, 1889. J. T. Mason followed the .next April. His labors continued to the time of his death in 1896.
T. B. Collins, the next pastor, served for two years, and was succeeded by E. W. Anable, who has now been serving
the church for five years.
The second church to be built was by the Methodists in 1857. It was afterwards converted into a school house
as already mentioned. A Rev. Mr. Thayer was the first pastor. The present church of this society was dedicated
April 1, 1866.
The earliest religious society in the place came into being June 27, 1854, ante dating the sale of town lots. It
named itself "Church of Jesus Christ."
A Congregational Church was established June 17, 1856. Its first regular pastor was David Wert, and its first house
of worship was dedicated April 1, 1858. The present edifice was dedicated June 10, 1866.
The Episcopal Church was established in spring of 1859 by organization of St. Thomas parish. Mr. Brodnax was the
first rector. A suitable church was built but the date of its erection is not at hand.
The first Evangelical Lutheran Church in Amboy was formed by Rev. William Angelberger, of Franklin Grove, January
30, 1870, who acted as first pastor. Rev. Anthest was the second. Following him in succession came: W. Framm, G.
Hagemann, H. Schmidt, H. Linder, S. E. Hoffmeister, F. W. Kampmeier, S. Pritschel, M. Ren and L. Lentz. Rev. H.
F. Schmidt, of Dixon, the present pastor, has been in charge since Nov. 20, 1897. In May, 1876, it was changed
to German Evangelical, a different denomination. William Framm was the first pastor. They purchased the old Congregational
church in 1870.
In 1854 the Catholics of Amboy began holding service at the residence of Michael Egan. Father Anthony was the first
to celebrate mass. The first building for the use of the society was erected in 1857, but before completion it
was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and completed in the spring of 1859. The society owns a priest's residence
on the same lot.
Under the management of Father Gallagher, the present incumbent, a commodious onestory brick building was erected
in 1900 for the purpose of a hall to accommodate large gatherings.
The Free Methodists' Society was organized about 1864. Rev. Miller was the first regular preacher. The society
was eventually merged into and replaced by the United Brethren. John Dobson and J. W. Lewis were the first pastors.
In 1871 a meeting house was built.
The Advent Christian Church was organized at Binghamton in 1859, and later worshipped at Amboy. The society never
built a meeting place.
Newspapers.- In February, 1855, the "Lee County Times" was launched with Augustus N. Dickens, brother
of the noted author, Charles Dickens, as editor. It was fathered by the Amboy Printing Association, of which W.
E. Ives, Alonzo Kinyon, Henry E. Badger, A. E. Wilcox and others were stockholders. By August 1st of that year
it passed into the hands of H. B. Judkins, and Dickens ceased to be connected with the paper. When the paper passed
out of the control of Mr. Judkins does not appear, but on February 6, 1856, H. C. Pratt was editor and proprietor.
April 3, 1856, the name was changed to "The Amboy Times," with Cottrell & Pratt proprietors and H.
G. Pratt editor. January 1.4, 1858, the name was changed to "Amboy Weekly Times" with Cottrell, Pratt
& Miller owners, the first two being the editors. H. G. Pratt, Joseph Lewis and James F. Somes by the firm
name of Horace G. Pratt & Company became owners November 18, 1858. April 19, 1860, it was changed to "Amboy
Times," Pratt, Shaw & Company proprietors, the firm being composed of H. G Pratt, B. F. Shaw, of Dixon,
and John Lewis Beginning in May, 1861, a daily edition was is sued, called the "Amboy Morning Daily Times,"
but survived only a few months. Mr. Pratt sold his interest to W. H. Gardner, July 31, 1862 and the new firm name
was Gardner, Shaw & Company. Sometime between July, 1862, and March, 1863, the files for wthich period are
incomplete, the firm of Pratt, Shaw & Company again appears, John Lewis being the "Co." Between June
30 and September 22, 1864, when the files are again incomplete, Lewis returned. August 10, 1865, A. J. Goff and
B. F. Shacu assumed the proprietorship and, on the 17th of the following March, the name was changed to "Lee
County Journal." Mr. Shaw had been elected Clerk of the Circuit Court in November, 1864. February 16, 1867,
Burrington & Shaw became the publishers. December 12th of that year the paper was discontinued for "lack
of support," but this difficulty seems to have been promptly removed, for the issue was resumed with the lapse
of only two numbers. Mr. Shaw became sole proprietor January 16, 1868, and, on January 6, 1870, sold out to Stimpson
& Corbus. March 24, of the same year, Stimpson stepped out, leaving Dr. J. R. Corbus sole proprietor. He sold
out to Captain William Parker September 22, 1870, who, on the 20th of the next month, changed the name to "The
Amboy Journal," by which the paper is still known. Capt. Parker sold to W. H. Haskell, September 7, 1872,
who, in turn, sold to E. W. Faxon & Company, October 15, 1879, William J. Keho, manager of the office for twenty
years and still at the same post, having an interest. October 2, 1881, Dr. Clark E. Loomis purchased it and remained
sole proprietor and editor until January 1, 1889, when it passed into the hands of George A. Lyman, the present
The" Amboy News" was first issued by W. M. Geddes, proprietor, at PawPaw, May 6, 1878, with Henry Adams
local editor. With the issue of July 1, 1882, the proprietorship changed to the News Publishing Company, with Capt.
William Parker as editor in chief and Henry Adams as local editor. From that date the paper has continued to be
printed and published at Amboy. W. M. Geddes became proprietor and editor June 30, 1883. Henry Adams still continuing
as local. July 12, 1884, J. H. Adams and J. H. Preston became owners under the firm name of Adams & Preston.
October 18, 1884, J. H. Preston became sole owner. Mr. Preston having died from accidental injuries, his widow
assumed the publication of the paper, February 19, 1897, with Chas. H. Eby, as editor and manager. March 3, 1899,
Mr. Eby became editor and proprietor with C. F. Preston as assistant editor. January 5, 1900, E. E. Chase acquired
an interest and the paper appeared under the firm name of Eby & Chase. It passed into the hands of Mr. Chase
August 3, 1900, and in December 14 following Henry F. Gehant appeared as owner and editor. With the next issue
Riley J. Whitney became manager. A. E. Dafoe succeeded to the ownership August 5, 1902, with B. L. Vaughan assistant
editor, Riley J. Whitney continuing as manager until September 5, 1902, when R. G. Sherwood became editor and manager
and was followed by K. O. Trickey November 28, 1902. G. L. Carpenter, the present editor and proprietor, purchased
the paper and took charge July 3, 1903. The News issued a daily edition April 3, 1899, which was discontinued with
number 22 of the same month.
Grand Army of the Republic.- The date of the organization of the first Post (No. 65) of the Grand Army of the Republic
and particulars regarding it, are not accessible, as the records are supposed to have been lost or destroyed. Amboy
Post, Na. 572, was mustered in May 10, 1886, with twenty four members. The first officers were: George Ryan, P.
C.; C. E. Loomis, S. V.; W. H. Hyde, J. V.; A. P. Wenrick, Q. M.; George E. Young, O. D.; O. W. Grant, Surg.; C.
W. Freeman, O. G.; C. D. Knowles, Adjt.; A. Ousey, S. Maj.; Fred Kreahl, Q. M. S. The present officers are: George
Blocker, Com.; C. D. Knowles, S. V. C.; B. F. Berkley, J. V. C.; M. T. Spencer, Adjt.
Banks.- In 1868 Josiah Little established a private bank which continued until November 1, 1899, when it was organized
as a National Bank, with $50,000 capital and $10,000 surplus, with Josiah Little as President; Lemuel Bourne, Vice-President;
Fred N. Vaughan, Cashier, and H. H. Badger, Assistant Cashier. Mr. Vaughan has been connected with the bank continuously
since 1864. The largest deposits were last year, when the sum reached $640,000. Normally they run from $500,000
to $600,000. Loans and discounts have averaged from $350,000 to $450,000. The bank occupies its own building with
fixtures, and recently its safety devices have been greatly improved by the introduction of a system of electrical
protection, and an additional vault lined with steel and made fireproof. In this respect it has no superior. Safety
deposit boxes are being installed.
The "Amboy Bank" was organized in 1899, with Henry Kline as President and Cashier, and J. C. Preston
as Assistant Cashier. It is a private institution with $100,000 personal responsibility. The deposits of January
1, 1903, were $100,000, and loans and discounts $150,000. Mr. Kline has been a resident of Amboy for the past forty
Bonded Indebtedness.- In the summer of 1872 the Chicago & Rock River Railroad was built through Amboy Township.
To secure the construction of this road the town, by vote of 517 for the proposition to 92 against it, issued $100,000
of bonds. A bitter contest was waged in the courts against the payment of these bonds, resulting in judgments in
the United States Courts against the town. These judgments were in part compromised by two issues of refunding
bonds, some at the rate of 40 cents on the dollar, and some at 50 cents. Seven or eight years were consumed in
these transactions and, when there seemed to be no further chance of compromise, 6 per cent. bonds were issued
to the amount of $130,000 to meet the balance of the unsettled judgments. On July 1, 1899, this last issue had
been reduced by payments to $93,500. Four per cent bonds were issued to take up this outstanding balance. On this
last issue $65,500 is still outstanding, the balance having been paid. The total amounts of judgments and costs,
exclusive of interest for which the town thus became indebted, aggregated about $275,000. All the suits commenced
by different bondholders were in the United States Courts and the litigation reached the Supreme Court of the United
States. In all these contests the town was defeated.
Miscellaneous.- The Illinois Central brought to Amboy John B. Wyman as its Superintendent, of whom the town came
to be proud as a General in the War of the Rebellion, where he laid down his life. He was the city's first Mayor.
August 5, 1856, a Fremont Club was organized in Amboy with John B. Wyman as President, Henry Badger as Secretary
and W. E. Ives Corresponding Secretary. This recalls the visits of some of the men who afterwards became great.
In the days of the Illinois Central building Geo. B. McClellan, in war times Commander of the Army of the Potomac,
was the Civil. Engineer of the road with headquarters at Amboy. And he who became Lieutenant General of all the
armies and one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of commanders of modern times, Grant, was frequently in town
buying hides for his Galena tannery. Abraham Lincoln, whose name and fame pales all others of his time, spoke to
the people there in his campaign against Douglas in 1858, from the window-balcony of the office of W. E. Ives,
who vouches for the veracity of these statements as to both of these great men.
September 11, 1856, Owen Lovejoy, who had attended an abolition theeting ten years before at the log school house
west of Lee Center village, spoke at the corner of Main Street and Adams Avenue, and in October following, addressed
the first meeting in the incompleted Baptist church, as already mentioned.
Amboy once possessed a court, the like of which was nowhere else to be found in the county. Alonso Kinyon, one
of the ambitious men of the period, was a member of the Legislature in 1869, and procured the passage of an act,
approved, March 11th of that year, establishing "The Court of Common Pleas of the City of Amboy." It
was an effort to duplicate the Circuit Court. The Judge and clerk were to be elected and receive the same salaries
as the Judge and Clerk of the Circuit Court. The City Marshal was given the powers of a sheriff, and the court
was empowered to appoint a Master in Chancery. The act, as approved, gave the court chancery jurisdiction, but
another act was approved the same day taking away this power. Mr. Kinyon's plan was carried into effect by his
own election as Judge, and the tribunal became known as "Kinyon's Court." It accomplished the purpose
of its creation until the Constitution of 1870 went into effect and wiped it out. The records of the court were
all destroyed in the fire of 1871.
In the fall of 1846 Rev. John Cross, of "Temperance Hill," now in China Township, called a meeting at
a log school house about one mile west of Lee Center village, to form an abolition society. Owen Lovejoy, the great
anti slavery orator and leader, addressed the meeting, and in the course of his speech said he had sworn over the
dead body of his brother eternal hatred of slavery. At the close of the meeting a "Free Soil Club" was
organized. Among those who became members were Martin Wright, Lewis clapp, Sylvester Frisbee, Ransom Barnes, Joseph
Farwell, Benoni Harmon, Daniel Frost, Ira Brewer, Moses Crombie and John Cross. Lovejoy addressed another meeting
there that fall. In this same log school house, which Ira Brewer helped to build, Robert G. Ingersoll, the great
agnostic of later years, attended school, his father being minister of the Congregational church in that section.
The Wasson school house, which stood west of the road at the center of Section 14 in Amboy, was built about 1846,
and was the first frame school building in the town. For many years it was the meeting center and rallying point
of that section for miles around.
When the division of the county into towns under the township organization law was about to take place, it is said
on good authority that a meeting was held at the Wasson school house to choose a name for the town. The choice
was "Bath," but Lorenzo Wasson, who went to Dixon to meet the County Commissioners, took the responsibility
of changing the name to "Amboy."
In the winter of 1854-5 the postoffices at Binghamton and Shelburn were discontinued, and one office was established
at Amboy, with Orange D. Reed as Postmaster.
The Mayors of the city have been: J. B. Wyman, 1857; John R. Stevens, 1858; Jos. Rosebrugh, 1859; J. B. Wyman,
1860; W. E. Ives, 1861; C. M. Butler, 1864-5; C. D. Vaughan, 1866-7; Michael Egan, 1869-70; Isaac Edwards, 1871-3;
Robt. Richards, 1874; Isaac Edwards, 1875-7; J. B. Felker, 1878 to March, 1883; Geo. Ryan, March, 1883, to March,
1884; J. B. Graves, March, 1884, to March, 1885; C. H. Wooster, two years, ending March, 1887; Michael Egan, March,
1887, to March, 1888; Geo. Ryan, March, 1888, to March, 1893; C. A. Wilcox, March, 1893, to March, 1895; E. E.
Chase, March, 1895, to March, 1899; J. P. Johnson, March, 1899, present incumbent.
The Clerks have been: D. T. Wood, 1857; W. B. Andrus, 1858-9; R. H. Mellen, 1869-1; W. C. Sears, 1862-3; H. G.
Pratt, 1864; N. H. Ryan, 1865-7; Lee Cronkrite, 1869; Everett E. Chase, 1870 to 1883; A. E. Merwine, 1883-4; Geo.
E. Young, 1884-6; R. C. Bear, 1886-7; H. J. Masterman, 1887-9; M. J. Monahan, 1889-94; S. E. Appleton, 1894-5;
H. Swisher, 1895-1901; F. A. Flach, April, 1901, present incumbent. The population of the city of Amboy, according
to the census of 1900, was 1,826. Its population in 1890 was 2,257. The population of the city and township in
1900 was 2,726, while in 1890 it was 3,139.