History of East Grove, Il.
From: Encyclopedia of Illinois
and the History of Lee County
Edited by: Mr. A. C. Bardwell.
Munsell Publishing Company
EAST GROVE TOWNSHIP.
At the November session, 1864 of the Board of Supervisors. East Grove was set apart from Hamilton Township.
In 1837 Charles Falvey occupied a claim on the north half of Section 34 in the grove, from which the town took
its name. On the north his nearest neighbor was a Mr. Robinson, six miles distant. In 1849 Fenwick Anderson settled
on the south half of Section 34. having purchased the claim of Robert Tate. The house, which was built of logs,
was for a number of years a stopping place for the stage on the line from Peoria to Dixon and Galena. In 1852 Mr.
Anderson burnt a kiln of 200.000 brick in the, south part of the grove, which proved to be of excellent Quality
and with which he built his residence. Thomas Sheban moved onto Section 5 in 1849, buying a claim of one John Kasbier.
At the time of the land sale at Dixon, in 1844, S. P. McIntosh purchased the east half of Section 36, but did not
move onto it until 1856. John Downey, A. A. Spooner, John Flynn, M. Coleman, A. Barlow, D. Sullivan, Henry Hubbell
and Samuel Tubbs were also early settlers.