History of Reynolds, Il.
From: Encyclopedia of Illinois
and the History of Lee County
Edited by: Mr. A. C. Bardwell.
Munsell Publishing Company
Chicago 1904.


REYNOLDS TOWNSHIP.

The Town of Brooklyn originally embraced all of Towns 37, 38 and 39, Range 1. Town 38, Range 1 (now Viola) was set off under the name of Stockton, by the Board of Supervisors at the February meeting, 1861. A year prior to this the northern township of these three was, in like manner, set apart by the name of Reynolds Township. The first election under the new organization was held April 5, 1859, at which Thomas Minier was elected Supervisor and Assessor; John C. Piper, Town Clerk and Constable; Dudley C. Whitehead, Collector and Constable; Daniel Brink, Jr., Overseer of the Poor; E. F. Gatten, Job Whitehead and David Douthett, Commissioners of Highways; Peter Mills and Robert M. Piel, Justices of the Peace. The election and town meeting was held in the residence of Horace Stearns, a cabin 13 by 16 feet and six feet high, located on Section 16. It was later used as a pigpen and corn crib.

The early settlers were Sewell Reynolds, Thomas Minier, Jonathan Whitehead, John Herrington, Dudley C. Whitehead, Daniel Brink, Jr., and Charles Gooch. Reynolds located at Brush Grove, and was the first settler in the township.

The society of the Methodist Episcopal church was organized in the fall of 1875, and soon afterwards a church building was erected on the “Flats.” The building committee consisted of F. F. Farmlow, C. W. Ament, C. F. Van Patten, John A. Edgar, Daniel C. Miller and B. F. Parker.

At the southeast corner of Section 19 stands the Emanuel church of the Evangelical Association (German). It was built at a cost of $4,000, and was dedicated October 13, 1872, free from debt. In 1881, $900 was expended in improvements and repairs. The building committee consisted of John Kersten, George Sandrock, George Bolei, Martin Wagner and Ernst Weiner.

The population of the township, according to census. was 674 in 1890, and 743 in 1900.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy