CITY OF ATLANTA.
In some respects the history of Atlanta runs in parallel grooves with that of the County seat: The same condition
which created Lincoln created Atlanta, namely, the laying of the Chicago and Alton highway of commerce through
the heart of the state. One of the first railroads in the state, it was the first to penetrate Logan County and
simultaneous with its establishment the cities of Lincoln and Atlanta were platted and laid out and for several
years their growth was parallel. If any difference there was up to 1857, it was Atlanta that was in the lead. After
that Lincoln, being the county seat, had the advantage and forged ahead. As Postville, laid out in 1835, was the
antecedent of Lincoln, so also was New Castle the antecedent of Atlanta.
TOWN OF NEW CASTLE.
In the year of the town boom craze, along with Mt. Pulaski, a year later than Postville and contemporaneous
with Bloomingdale, Albany (surveyed by Abraham Lincoln), Madison and Eminence and other now forgotten towns of
Logan County, the town of New Castle was laid out on Section 28, of present Atlanta township, by Timothy B. Hoblit
and James Allen, Dec. 2, 1836. The former had come from Ohio in 1829 and entered land in that vicinity. The immediate
land upon which New Castle was located had been owned by George Forquer, a half brother of Gov. Thomas Ford and
later attorney general of Illinois. The town was located on the old stage line between Springfield and Bloomington
and it was platted into 150 lots, the streets "on the plat" being named respectively, White, Tremont,
Harrison, Van Buren, Jackson, Webster, Main and McLean. The surveyor was Elbert Dickison. The first purchasers
of lots were John Nimmo, Cheney Spear, Mahlon S. Hoblit, Cornelius Lambert and Thomas H. Gellatly. New Castle boasted
of several stores, a blacksmith shop, and a few residences. The Baptists built a church here in 1839, the first
pastor being Rev. J. D. Newell.
The following list of names are found subscribed to a petition for the sale of school lands in the Congcessional
township in 1841 and will indicate the settlers in and around New Castle at that early date: Samuel Hoblit, William
Gard, Thomas Larison, William Bonine, Samuel Bevan, Henry Hornbaker, John E. Hoblit, John Druly, Ezekiel Hedges.
Benjamin Shipley, Isaac A. Dungan, J. D. Tinney, James Shipley, Adam Stephens, Fleming Lynch, W. H. Seward, A.
K. Martin, James Hedges, Harvey Turner, James Downey, Sylvester Strong, Samuel Jones, William Houchins, William
Foley, Cornelius Lambert, Andrew Fogg, John Wintine, Elisha Bushnell, Jesse Dobby, J. P. Dunham, Joseph M. Cantrall,
John Cline, O. T. Crawford, James Barr, Zebulon Cantrall, M. S. Bushnell, Edwin E. Bushnell, John Miller, William
Dyer, George Dyer, Henry Williams, Raymond C. Rathbone, Charles Council, Noah Snedaker and Sampson Rees. There
were exactly 58 legal voters in the township at that time. Soon after Atlanta was laid out, in 1853, about a mile
and a quarter to the northwest of New Castle, the latter town, stores, people and the church, moved into Atlanta.
TOWN OF XENIA.
The town of Atlanta was surveyed and platted, May 22, 1853. The town was not platted, however, as Atlanta, but
as Xenia. The proprietors were Richard T. Gill, Morgan Williams and Calvin Riley, but Richard T. Gill was the real
promoter. Mr. Gill had come to Illinois in 1840 and had located in Pekin, Tazewell County. He was sheriff of Tazewell
County from 1846 to 1850. He came to Logan County in 1852 and early in 1853, having ascertained that the Alton
& Sangamon (now the Chicago & Alton) railroad was to be extended from Springfield to Bloomington, he bought
of Lemuel Evans, who had entered it, the land on which Atlanta now stands. The proposed new town was surveyed on
Section 20, of what is now Atlanta township, by the county surveyor of Logan County, Conaway Pence. As surveyed,
the town included 59 blocks and 383 lots. Lots were placed on sale on June 23. 1853. although the railroad was
not completed until in the fall. When completed to Atlanta a construction train with two or three coaches made
daily trips from Alton and Frink & Company's stages and carried Chicago passengers from Atlanta to Bloomington.
The town was first called Xenia at the suggestion of some of the earlier settlers thereabouts, who had come from
in and about Xenia, Ohio. The town continued to be called Xenia until 1855, when it was discovered that another
town in Illinois had prior claims to the name, and the name Hamilton was suggested, but on application for a postoffice,
it was discovered that that name had also been pre-empted. Mr. Gill. who had some time previously visited Atlanta,
Georgia, and had been attracted by the town, suggested that the town be called Atlanta and the name was adopted.
A short act passed by the Legislature, Feb. 14. 1855, recites: "That from and after the passage of this act,
the name of the town of Xenia in Logan County shall be and the same is hereby changed to Atlanta." There was
no town government in existence while the town was known as Xenia.
Among those purchasing Xenia lots were: Lewis Eichberg, Wm. A. Downey, James Lambert, John Young, W. S. Leonard,
Charles Reise, J. J. Williams, Peter Miller, J. H. Paullin, John E. Hoblit, Wm. Murphy, Dan Proctor, James Tuttle,
Ambrose Hall, Hezekiah Armington, M. L. Fuller, C. C. Keifer, Harvey Turner, W. H. Booker, John Kaufman, J. Q.
A. Lewis, A. N. Dills, Philip Foust, W. Deuterman, James Conden, J. R. Ash, A. C. Rankin, George J. Reid, H. C.
Montgomery, J. Strong, J. Hamilton, John King, J. S. Greene, Augustus Reise, E. H. Dunnegan, P. Eiterman, B. P.
Daizell, George Dyer, George Denman, J. B. Hunt, George I. Harry, A. L. Waldon, Isaac Gray, Henry Carpenter, Sarah
Parker, James Bailey, Peter Bruner, David Howser, J. H. Ball, A. D. Morgan, Joseph Waldon, James Lindsey, J. B.
Tenney, Daniel Small, John Jordan and Wm. P. Hunt. The first building in the town was erected by Mr. Gill, at the
corner of Vine and Railroad streets. Shortly after, he erected a store building. Other buildings, both for stores
and residences went up thick and fast. During 1853 twenty houses were erected, several store buildings and two
warehouses. A large school building was erected in 1853, being one of the first structures in the town. The school
was chartered Feb. 14, 1855, as Atlanta Seminary; Samuel Bevan, Lemuel Foster, James Tuttle, A. C. Rankin and R.
T. Gill being the first trustees. At the end of the year 1855 the town contained over ioo houses and a population
of 500. It claimed five dry goods stores, two drug stores, two groceries, four warehouses and a hotel conducted
by John Young.
TOWN OF ATLANTA.
As before stated by legislative act of Feb. 14, 1855, the name of the town of Xenia was changed to Atlanta.
At the same time the town of Atlanta was formally incorporated and the incorporation act provided for government
by five trustees and a president of the board, the board to have control of the schools. Before this incorporation
there had been a voluntary organization of citizens, known as "the Big Grove rangers," which did effective
work in preserving law and order. The first election in the town of Atlanta took place April 2, and resulted as
follows: President, Richard T. Gill; trustees, A. N. Dills, A. K. Martin, William P. Hunt, William S. Leonard and
Cornelius Lambert. The first meeting of the board was held April 7th, when the following officers were appointed:
J. Henry Ball, clerk; Elza H. Dunagan, constable; Hezekiah Armington, street commissioner. The officers in 1856
were as follows: A. N. Dills, president; A. K. Martin, Cornelius Lambert, A. W. Morgan, Jefferson Howser and Hezekiah
Armington, trustees; Harrison Maltby, treasurer; A. J. Turley, attorney; W. W. Higgs, constable; M. C. Hicks, street
commissioner. In 1855 the seminary was opened with 75 students, the first instructor being Rev. L. Foster. Additions
to the town plat were made in 1855, as follows: John M. Gill and A. M. Morgan's addition, 21 blocks; R. T. Gill's
west addition, 27 blocks; Gill's and Haughey's addition, i8 blocks and Downey's addition, 4 lots. To these in 1856
were added Druley's addition, 19 lots; Wm. P. Hunt's addition; Teriney's addition, 5 blocks; Peter Weed's addition,
2 blocks; Hall and Donnegan's addition, 9 blocks and Boynton Tenny's addition, 10 acres. In 1855 the Baptists erected
the first church building on the town site, followed shortly after by the Christians, the Congregationalists and
the Methodists. In 1855 buildings began to spring up like magic and from March 1st to June 1st of that year amounted
to an average of ten houses per week. During the summer of 1855 there were 155 houses erected, and the town had
ten dry goods stores, two drug stores, three furniture stores, two harness shops, three groceries, a hardware,
two hotels and a variety of mechanical shops. The population was estimated at 1,200.
A BOOM TOWN.
The Logan County Forum, established by S. B. Dugger in July of was not only the first paper published in Atlanta,
but the first paper published in Logan County. In an issue in 1856 appeared the following description of conditions
in Atlanta that year: "Atlanta is still going ahead. We have a population now that no one places below 1,500
We have eleven dry goods stores, five groceries, three clothing stores, four furniture stores, a book store, a
bank, two hardware stores, five grain warehouses, a boot and shoe store, three hotels, two liveries, two saddieries,
two jewelry stores, two tailor shops, a cabinet shop, two carriage and wagon shops, three blacksmith shops, a steam
mill, a large steam planing mill, a printing office, two bakeries and a beer saloon. We have four lawyers. seven
physicians, four ministers and one dentist. The Baptists have a large and beautiful place of worship and 120 members:
Rev. E. J. Thomas, pastor. The Congregationalists have a good society of from 40 to 50 members and will erect a
church builçling next year; Rev. L. Foster, pastor. The Methodists have a good society of from 6o to 70
members and have a large house of worship in course of construction; Rev. Mr. Bartholow, minister in charge. The
Reformers or Christians have a society of about 75 members; they have a good church building nearly ready for use.
The Cumberland Presbyterians also have an organization. We have three schools with an average attendance of over
200 pupils. They are well conducted and have the best of instructors employed. The amount of goods, wares. etc..
sold, approximate about as follows: Dry goods, $175,000: lumber. $40,000: furniture, $12,000; stoves and hardware,
$20,000: groceries, $12,000; agricultural implements, $8,000 saddlery, $8,000; total. $275,000. There have been
delivered here the following amounts of produce: Wheat, 176.840 bushels $1.20. $212,208; corn, 86,ooo bushels @
22 cents. $19,920; pork, $9o,ooo; oats, 11,000 bushels @ 25 cents, $2,750; beef cattle, $20,000; total, $364,000.
We notice a countless number of larger sized buildings going up; among them the three-story, sixty-feet-square
brick, just built by H. Armington, on the corner of Vine and Railroad streets, the four story hotel of G. A. Colton
on Vine street, the large warehouse of Dill & Houser, with steam elevators for handling grain, two new churches
and 8o or 90 other stores and residences in process of construction. Notwithstanding the number of doctors here,
there is no place in the west which will show a healthier record than Atlanta. The land on which the town is situated
was assessed in 1852 at about $1,200; in 1855, at over $200,000. The revenues of the town last year were over $1,200,
which was all spent in public improvements. An ordinance has just been passed requiring sidewalks to be built on
both sides of the most prominent streets, which will speedily be complied with. On Tuesday morning of last week,
a train of 41 cars arrived at this place, principally loaded with lumber and drawn by two locomotives. It was followed
by a second train of 18 cars."
A correspondent of the Springfield Register visiting the town in 1856 wrote to his paper: "We believe the
growth of Atlanta is without a parallel in the county. Two years ago there was hardly a building in the place or
within a mile of it. Now the village numbers 260 buildings and over 1,000 inhabitants. The buildings are all very
good and many of them large and splendid, while all are painted. Being situated upon a prairie where trees have
not had time to grow, the village is presented at a single view and looms up like a young city. Mr. Gill entered
the town two and a half years ago at $1.25 per acre. He platted it and sold threefourths of the lots at prices
merely nominal. By this policy, which is the only one that can build up a village rapidly, the remaining lots have
become very valuable. He also sold a quarter section near the town for $5oo an acre. Mr. Gill has made, we are
informed, within two years, $75,000. During the month of August there were sent out of Atlanta on cars 42,000 bushels
of wheat and 7.000 bushels of corn. Atlanta may be put down as one of the first class villages of the west."
A communication in the Chicago Tribune in the same year 1856, on the subject of Atlanta, was to the following effect:
"Before I visited this renowned place, I had heard much said about it, its business and the country it was
supported by, that I almost came to the conclusion that it had only been represented on the bright side, but I
confess that I was surprised to find so much of a town and so much done here in the way of business. The place
was staked out and the first lots exposed to sale on June 22, 1853, by R. T. Gill, of Pekin, who removed to this
point and made it his home. At this time the people of this region of country did their trading at Pekin and Waynesville.
The railroad was not completed until late in the season and winter came on and found some 15 or 20 houses on the
spot. Business commenced pouring in however and it was found it required more men and more house room. The season
of 1854 came on and it will be remembered that in Central and Southern Illinois, the crops were cut short by the
drouth, but manifest destiny had written the word city upon the spot and it must be fulfilled. During 1854 about
ioo houses were built and in 1855 about 150 more were added. According to my figures Atlanta has about 300 houses
and a population of about 1,200, all of whom have found their way here in a little over two years. Over 40 of these
houses are business houses. The country for miles around this place is unsurpassed anywhere for fertility, beauty
and state of cultivation. It is already densely populated and sends forward to Chicago and St. Louis as much produce
as any county of the same extent in the state. Not less than 110,000 bushels of wheat have been shipped from this
point this season. I believe that Atlanta surpasses any town of its age in the state and it is not unreasonable
to suppose that in a year or two it will begin to contest the title of Prairie City with its neighbor Bloomington."
Another correspondent, in the same year, wrote the Alton Courier, as follows: "Of all the towns it has been
my fortune to visit, since I have been in the rambling trade, Atlanta possesses the largest share of the young
American spirit of progressiveness. It is the largest town of its age I have ever seen. It was laid out in May
of 1853. has now a population of about 1,500 and the amount of business that is done is immense. Part of the cause
of this extraordinary rapid growth may be found in the fact that the country around is extremely fertile and has
been settled about 20 years. For five or six miles around, one-half the land is in cultivation and occupied by
thrifty and prosperous farmers. Atlanta is situated on the level prairie a mile and a half from timber, on the
line of the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis railroad. R. T. Gill and Morgan Williams were the original proprietors.
They laid out the town very regularly, with wide, straight streets and erected some very good buildings. The houses
are nearly all frame and although mostly small. look very well. The citizens are intelligent, sociable and hospitable.
They are nearly all Americans. anti-Nebraskans and for the legal prohibition of the liquor traffic by a large majority.
From the obliging station agent. I learn that the shipments from here for the six months ending Dec. 31, 1855.
was as follows: 129,363 bushels of wheat. 17,245 bushels of corn, 4,080 bushels of oats. 1,560 bushels of rye and
barley. 240.000 pounds of dressed pork, 141 barrels of lard, 212 barrels of pork and 151,200 pounds of sundries.
During this time the dealers were paid about $173,000 for wheat and $75,000 for pork. There are six grain dealers
and one large pork packing establishment. There is a steam flouring mill and a large fanning mill factory. Vacant
lots on the business streets are worth from $200 to $500 each and lots suitable for dwellings can be had for from
$50 to $150. Within five miles of Atlanta. about one-third of the country is timber, the balance being level prairie
five-sixths of which is now in cultivation. What little unimproved land there is can be bought for about $15 per
From these extracts, taken from the issue of June 19, 1856, of the Logan County Forum, now in the possession of
H. Crihfield, of Atlanta. it will be seen that at that time Atlanta was one of the boom towns of Illinois, and
was known far and wide. Illinois was then counted a "Western State." Had Atlanta continued to grow in
subsequent years as it did from 1854 to 1857, it would have been quite a metropolis by this time. Unfortunately
the panic of the fall of 1857 dealt a disastrous blow to Atlanta's progress. Building ceased and many families
moved away in 1858 and 1859 and a number of mercantile houses closed their doors. By 1860 Atlanta's population
was 1,140 and has not materially increased since.
EARLY BUSINESS CONCERNS.
Among the business concerns in Atlanta in 1857 were Shores, Hawes & Co., Ball & Gill. Hamilton &
Dugger, A. K. Martin, Sherwood & Fields, Dunham & Maitby, Dills & Houser. Eichberg & Bro., Kirk
& Haise, A. J. Ludlam & Co., Milner, Edes & Co., Milner & Co.. John A. Crihfield, R. W. Burt. Ira
A. Church, E. H. Dunnagan. Hicks & Co. W. N. Smith & Co., Owen Davis, G. B. Dugger, R. H. Killin, J. Q.
A. Lewis, G. Mason & Co., J. S. Pallady, J. J. Palmer, John Warner, W. S. Hunt, E. S. Wicklin, D. Rouser &
Sons, Martin & Reed, T. N. Gill & Co., J. H. Mulholland, J. L. Brown, E. Lane. C. H. Strathman, M. S. Hoblit,
Johnson & Beymer, John Pallady. H. Armington, Burnt & Hayden, A. B. Sanford, J. C. Hoblit and the Logan
House. conducted by Col. Worthington. A civic improvement society formed in 1856 bad the following officers: President,
A. W. Morgan; vice president, George L. Parker: secretary, S. D. Fisher: treasurer. J. L. Dugger.
The first fire of any consequence in the new town occurred in 1857 and destroyed what was then known as the Atlanta
House. the same being one of the early hotels. On July 4. 1859, a monster Fourth of July celebration was held in
the town, which is noteworthy in view of the fact that Abraham Lincoln was present and delivered a short address.
Full particulars of this occasion will he found in connection with the chapter on Abraham Lincoln and Logan County.
where also will be found an account of Mr. Lincoln rehearsing his famous Freeport speech in the Lincoln-Douglas
debate, in the Gill building in Atlanta, on the day prior to the delivery of that address. In 1860 the Atlanta
Fair Association was organized and the first fair was held Ott. 9, 10, 11 and 12 of that year. An account of this
enterprise, with its continuous success of a half century, is given in the chapter denominated "Agricultural."
The fair was incorporated Feb. 15, 1861. R. T. Gill's warehouse burned Jan. 9. 1861, including 7,000 bushels of
corn and 1,200 bushels, of wheat. About this time also the Civil War broke out and few communities in the state
rallied so unanimously to the call for assistance as did Atlanta, an account of which has been noted in the chapter
on the Civil War.
In 1865 fire again broke out in the town and laid waste all the buildings between Armington's block and Arch
street. The same year, another equally disastrous fire destroyed other buildings in the business portion of the
town, at which time the town records were unfortunately destroyed. A fire on the night of April 25, 1867, destroyed
W. Mix & Company's hardware store, owned by Dr. Rankin; J. F. Hyde & Company's shoe store, owned by Alex
Downey; Allen's drug store, owned by W. E. Dicks; Shores, Dunham & Company's store, loss $5,ooo, besides several
other smaller buildings. A fire engine was shipped in from Bloomington or the town would have been destroyed. On
July 7, 1867, another fire destroyed the remainder of the block left standing from the fire of April preceding.
This fire destroyed Leonard's grocery store, Graser's grocery store, Hicks & James' warehouse, Seth Turner's
warehouse, Dunlop's harness shop, Flugel's shoe shop, Mason's grocery, the Downey building, printing office, and
other buildings. On July 11th, four days afterward, E. H. Tuttle's warehouse burned.
Following these fires new buildings were generally erected on the burned sites, among them a bank building by Frank
Hoblit, a building by Alex Downey and the Union Hall building. The latter was constructed for a hall for general
purposes, the first floor being store rooms. The incorporators of the Union Hall Association were Benjamin Bean,
James Shores, Alex Downey, Charles B. Van Horn, A. C. Barnes, A. N. Dills and Morgan Williams. The association
was incorporated Feb. 25, 1867. The Hawes' building and a Masonic hail was also erected about this time. In 1867
a company was also formed for the purpose of sinking a coal shaft. The boring for coal began Nov. 26th of that
year and a good vein of coal was reached at a depth of 245 feet. Owing however to the great difficulty experienced
in keeping out the water of the underground lake, the project, after repeated efforts, was abandoned.
CITY OF ATLANTA.
The town form of government was relinquished in 1869 and a special act was passed by the Legislature March 11,
1869, creating the city of Atlanta. This act was to take effect upon its adoption by the voters. A vote was taken
on the matter March 16th, there being 173 votes favorable to city organization and iç against. A special
election was held March 23 for the election of city officers with the following result: Mayor, Samuel H. Fields;
clerk, J. Henry Ball; marshall, J. B. Ransdell; treasurer, L. James; assessor and collector, S. D. Fisher; attorney,
William E. Dicks; street commissioner, J. Finfrock. The charter provided for three wards, with one alderman to
each ward. The following aldermen were elected: First ward, W. P. Hunt; second ward, George Estabrook; third ward,
E. Stuart. The last town officers were A. N. Dills, president; B. F. Gardner, A. J. Randolph, Charles Flugel, J.
C. Dunlap, Seth Turner, trustees; treasurer, W. E. Dicks; constable, William Foltz; justice of the peace, Charles
J. Ormsby. In 1869 the Atlanta Argus was established by Albion Smith.
At the same time that Atlanta was organized as a city the schools were reorganized under the state law as graded
schools. The old Seminary building, which had been used as a high school since 1858, was sold to private parties
and removed in 1870 and a three story building erected in its stead at a cost of about $30,000. (See chapter on
"City Schools.") An electric light plant was established in 1895 and located near the C. & A. tracks
south of the depot. Work began on the Peoria, Atlanta & Decatur railroad in 1870, the same having been incorporated
the year previous. The line was completed in 1874 and a history of this road, now part of the Vandalia system,
as it bears upon the history of Atlanta, has been noted in the chapter denominated "Transportational."
In 1872 the Baptist church was destroyed by fire and on May 25. 1873, West, Fluss & Company's planing mill
burned, at a loss of $7,000. On, April 5, 1874, the Armington three story brick block was destroyed by fire, at
a loss of $12,000, and in November of 1876 another fire destroyed Dills & Rouser's warehouse. In 1877 new buildings
were erected on the sites of those which had burned. Murphy Hall was erected in 1878, as a result of the temperance
movement of that year, it being named for Father Murphy, the founder of the Father Murphy Total Abstinence society.
Another series of fires began in 1882. On July 5th of that year the freight depot of the Illinois Midland railroad
burned. On Oct. 26, 1882, flames destroyed the Turner & Tuttle mills. These mills were built of brick and stone
in i868, by Harvey Turner and J. A. Hoblit, and cost $30,000. At the same time. Armington's elevator, with a capacity
of 15,000 bushels of grain, was destroyed by fire. The Atlanta House and the M. E. church were on fire but the
flames were extinguished. In 1885 Barnett's carpenter shop and Hilpert's wagon shop were burned and in November
of the same year the Cumberland Presbyterian church was consumed. On March 23, 1887, fire also destroyed a row
of seven frame buildings on the corner of Vine and Arch streets. These fires resulted in the establishment of the
first water works plant in Atlanta in 1887, the same being established by private parties and wells being sunk
at the location of the abandoned coal mine. A movement was begun in 1891, looking to the purchasing, by the city,
of the water works plant or the establishment, by the city, of a new systeni. The propositiOn was submitted to
the voters, Sept. 7, 1891, for the issuance of bonds for a city plant and the same was approved by a vote of three
to one. A lot was purchased adjoining the old well on the south and a large tube well sunk. A pumping station was
also established and a tower erected in 1892. In 1881 the Catholic church edifice was erected and in 1885 the Baptist
society erected a new church, at a cost of $4,500, on the site of the one burned in 1872.
The first rural free postal delivery route in Logan County was established out of Atlanta Dec. 4, 1899. The carrier
was A. E. Mountjoy and there were 105 families on the route. The route ran north from Atlanta by way of George
Verry's, Kenby Elbert Stroud's, W. N. Mountjoy'S, Walter Beverly's, the Dempsy farm, George Burt's, Allen Quisenberry's,
the Emden road, the Hoerr road, the Pekin Hill road, the Gilbert bridge, the Roades road, the Ludlam corner, John
W. Adam's place and back to Atlanta. The second and third routes also ran out of Atlanta, John E. Larison being
the first carrier of the former route and Milam Perky first carrier of the latter route. General rural free delivery
was established in the county in 1906.
The high school building erected in 1870 succumbed to the flames in the summer of 1908. In its stead was erected
in 1908 and 1909 one of the finest high school buildings in the state, a full account of which has been noted in
the chapter on "City Schools." The building was ready for occupancy in September of 1909. In 1906 the
new library building was erected, the same being dedicated March 28, 1907. The population of Atlanta is about 1,350.
The city officers of Atlanta. since the organization of municipal government in 1869, here follow:
MAYORS: Samuel H. Fields, 1869-70; George I. Harry, 1870-71; Benjamin Bean, 1871-72: William P. Hunt, 1872-73;
E. Stuart, 1873-74; James Shores, 1874-75; Andrew P. West, 1875-76; Benjamin Bean, 1876-77; P. R. Marquart, 1877-79;
F. J. Fields, 1879-81; S. H. Fields, 1881-82; A. E. Church, 1882-83; Alfred Turner, 1883-84; C. H. Turner, 1884-85;
John J. Downey, 1885-86: S. S. Hoblit, 1886-87; Elias Harness, 1887-88; W. S. Dunham, 1888-89; C. T. Rock, 1889-90;
S. H. Nolder, 1890-91; Alfred Turner, 1891-92; C. H. Turner, 1892-93; W. S. Dunham, 1893-94; W. W. Mix, 1894-95;
J. L. Bevan, I895-97; C. T. Rock, 1897-98; J. L. Bevan, 1898-99; H. C. Hawes, 1899-1901; J. T. Webster, 1901-04;
R. F. Quisenberry, 1904-07 J. T. Webster, 1907-08; William Hunt, 1908-09; J. R. Patton, 1909-.
CITY CLERKS: J. Henry Ball, 1869-70; Arthur Paullin, 1870-72; Andrew P. West, 1872-74; W. H. Mason, 1874-75; B.
A. Field, 187576; M. H. Young, 1876-79; W. H. Mason, 1879-80 J. Henry Ball, 1880-83; W. H. Mason, 1883-84; R. H.
Gill, 1884-85; W. H. Mason, 1885-87; James A. Ladew, 1887-89; W. H. Mason, 1889-90; James A. Ladew, 1890-94; A.
O. Haines, 1894-96; R. F. Quisenberry, 1896-98; E. R. Mason, 1898-99; H. J. Folts, 1899-1901; J. B. Jordan, 1901-02;
C. B. Hess, 1902-03; A. B. Watt, 1903-06; C. B. Hess, 1906-08; M. M. Hoose, 1908-10; C. R. Crandall, 1910-.
The following is the list of aldermen for the first, second and third wards respectively, the city council being
comprised of three aldermen elected one from each ward annually:
ALDERMEN FIRST WARD: W. P. Hunt, 1869-70; Andrew Turner, 1870-71; Seth Turner, 1871-75; J. G. Reise, 1875-76;
J. Q. McKinnon, 1876-77; J. S. Perriton, 1877-78; Alfred Turner, 1878-81; Gibson Bail, 1881-82; A. J. Randolph,
1882-83; P. R. Marquart, 1883-84; F. J. Fields, 1884-85; L. M. Hoblit, 1885-87; S. S. Hoblit, 1887-88; Alfred Turner,
1888-89; Benjamin Turner, 1889-94; W. H. Mason, 1894-97; P. W. Rouser, 1897-98; W. J. Horrom, 1898-99; Maskel Lee,
1899-1901; J. M. Boyd, 1901-02; Jesse Smith, 1902-03; J. E. Hawes, 1903-04; A. L. Applegate, 1904-07: W. H. Neel,
1907-08; Wm. Morphis, 1908-09; W. H. Neel, 1909-10: George Paullin, 1910-.
ALDERMEN SECOND WARD: George Estabrook, 1869-70; R. A. Super, 1870-71; Thomas Camerer, 1871-72; J. M. Gallon,
1872-73; Solomon Morris, 1873-74; Frank Hoblit, 1874-75; Thomas Worthington, 1875-76; H. C. Hawes, 1876-77; Thomas
Camerer. 1877-78; A. P. West, 1878-79; S. H. Nodder, 1879-81; S. S. Hoblit, 1881-82; G. F. Bennett, 1882-83; J.
M. Ruch, 1883-85; G. F. Bennett, 1885-86; Wm. Estill, i886-88; J. L. Bevan, 1888-90; A. E. Church, 1890-92: A.
W. Chenoweth, 1892-94; J. T. Camerer, 1894-98; A. O. Haines, 1898-1901; Charles Drehr, 1901-03; A. W. Chenoweth,
1903-04; J. T. Camerer, 1904-06; Charles Dreher, 1906-07; R. S. McIntyre, 1907-08: J. F. Adams, 1908-To; R. S.
ALDERMEN THIRD WARD: E. Stuart, 1869-71; S. D. Fisher, 1871-72; E. E. Beath. 1872-73; F. J. Fields, 1873-74:
E. E. Beath, 1874-75; R. D. Kesler, 1875-76; E. E. Beath, 1876-77; Elias Harness, 1876-79; Albert Hamilton, 1879-81;
Elias Harness, 1881-82; James Shores, 188283; A. V. Scott, 1883-85; W. S. Dunham, Jr., 1885-86; A. W. Chenoweth,
1886-87; Joseph A. Uhr, 1887-88; Scott Martin, 1888-90; H. C. Hawes, 1890-91; Scott Martin. 1891-92; Elias Harness,
1892-93; I. C. Morse, 1893-94; W. A. Miller, 1894-95; Charles Haise, 1895-98; A. L. Moorehead, 1898-1900; J. H.
Hawes, 1900-02: A. C. Miller, 1902-03; W. F. Watt, 1903-05; A. C. Miller, 1905-06; E. G. Ransdell, 1906-07; A.
C. Miller, 1907-08; I. J. Mountjoy, 1908-09: J. W. Gordon. 1909-10; T. N. Hamilton, 1910-.