History of Broadwell, Il.
From: HISTORY OF LOGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
By: Lawrence B. Stringer
Published by: Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago 1911
The town of Broadwell was laid out in 1856, on the line of the then Chicago, Alton & St. Louis railroad,
as a grain station between Lincoln and Elkhart. The proprietor of the town was one Thomas C. Meyer, of Joliet,
who associated with him in the enterprise, J. C. Spencer, Richard P. Morgan and S. M. Blatchford. The town was
surveyed May 25, 1856, by Conaway Pence, county surveyor, and the chain carriers were Jacob Eisiminger, Elijah
Cordier and William B. Broadwell. The latter resided in Springfield. owned the land on which the town was laid
out, and the town was given his name. The survey included 82 acres and was divided into 26 blocks. The first settler
in the village was Thomas Debety. who built the first house on the town site. William Sample built the first store.
It is still standing fronting the railroad. Charles D. McCauley built the second store and George Barry the first
blacksmith shop in the village. Thomas Debety was the first railroad agent and Albert McCollister was the first
postmaster. A school building was erected in 1857, now used as a private residence. A new school building, two
stories in height, was built during the war. The first school teacher in the town was a Mr. Wilbert.