History of New Holland, Il.
From: HISTORY OF LOGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
By: Lawrence B. Stringer
Published by: Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago 1911
The town of New Holland was laid out by Oliver Holland, for whom it was named, in 1875. It was surveyed by Thomas
G. Gardner, county surveyor, on April 6th of that year. The original survey included only four blocks, to which
have been added twenty blocks in additions laid out by Jacob Bolinger, Oliver Holland, Henry Niewold, A. M. Caidwell,
Adam Wenzell and J. W. Wurtzbaugh. The first building in the town was a dwelling built by William Towberman. The
first store building was erected by Randolph & Company, who opened a general merchandising business. Soon after,
Mr. Towberman also erected a store building. An elevator was built in 1875 by M. R. Laforge at a cost of $6,000.
A commodious school house was built in 1876. A number of other business houses and residences were erected in the
succeeding years. The town was visited by disastrous fires in 1885. On March 11, William O'Shea's building and
stock of buggies and farm implements were consumed; loss, $5,000. Three days later fire destroyed Burchett &
Company's building, in which was located the post office, postal telegraph office and village library, the entire
contents of the building being consumed. At the same time the fire was communicated to and destroyed the James
Ryan building and stock of hardware, the Stumpf harness shop, S. O. McKennan's drug store and stock, Dr. J. A.
Smith's office, Baker's meat market, Ryan's implement warehouse, besides blacksmith shop. barber shop and other
small buildings; loss, about $30,000. On June 29. 1887. D. M. Burner's elevator was also consumed by fire and in
1910 D. H. Curry & Company's elevator and grain office was burned to the ground. The New Holland Telephone
Company was organized in 1904. The village contains two commodious church buildings.