History of Cornland, Burton View, Lake
Fork, Lawndale, San Jose & Harness, Il.
From: HISTORY OF LOGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
By: Lawrence B. Stringer
Published by: Pioneer Publishing Company, Chicago 1911
The town of Cornland was laid out in 1871 by Joshua Day, soon after the completion of the Gilman, Clinton &
Springfield, now the Springfield branch of the Illinois Central railroad. It was surveyed in August of that year
by James M. Bourne, surveyor, and contained 16 blocks.
Burton View is a grain station which was located on the Champaign, Lincoln & Eastern, now the Champaign and Havana branch of the Illinois Central railroad, soon after the completion of that railroad through Sheridan township. The place was first known as Burton and was changed to Burton View in 1873, when a post office was established. Pegram & Brother erected an elevator at this point, which was destroyed by fire in 1900. The Burton View Grain Company, a farmers' co-operative elevator, was organized in 1909.
Lake Fork is the name of a station on the Springfield branch of the Illinois Central railroad southwest of Mt. Pulaski and in Mt. Pulaski township. It was laid out by Daniel Handlin in 1881 and was surveyed by J. W. Ewing on Nov. 30th of that year. The original town contained four blocks to which additions aggregating eight blocks have been laid out by Elias Buckles and A. H. Billings. The town sustained a loss. by fire in 1886, when the general store of Rial Turner, with his stock of goods was consumed in January of that year.
Lawndale was laid out and platted by Thomas Esten in 1854, the next year after the Alton & Sangamon (now Chicago & Alton) railroad was completed to that point. Thomas Esten came from Massachusetts as agent for an eastern company that had planned to locate a colony in Logan County. He had built a saw mill on Kickapoo creek close to the present site of Lawndale several years before, had erected a residence and store near there and the locality went by the name of "Kickapoo." His son, Aurelian Esten, afterwards built an elevator at Lincoln. The new town of Lawndale was surveyed June 27, 1854, and originally contained twelve blocks. Ewing's addition in 1864 added seventeen blocks more. A church was built in the town in 1872 by the Methodists and Cumberland Presbyterians jointly. The village has never been incorporated. It is located in East Lincoln township and has a population of about 200.
The town of San Jose is located partly in Mason County and partly. in Prairie Creek township of Logan County, while the Tazewell County line is but one mile north of the town. Three-fourths of the village is in Mason County, the remaining one-fourth being in Logan County. The Logan County portion of the village is comprised in Isaac C. Brown's addition laid out in 1858, containing four blocks and Crabb and Linbarger's. addition of three blocks laid out in 1868. The additions were survayed by. Bentley Buxton. San Jose was incorporated as a village under the general law June 12, 1876, and has a population of about 500. It is located on both the Jacksonville and Peoria branches of the Chicago & Alton railroad.
The town of Harness was laid out, April 18, 1900, by Daniel R. Harness, from whom it receives its name. It is located on section nineteen of Prairie Creek township on the Springfield and Peoria branch of the Chicago & Alton railroad between San Jose and New Holland.