BRUSHY MOUND TOWNSHIP.
Brushy Mound township is bounded on the north by Carlinville, on the east by Honey Point township, south by
Gillespie and on the west by Polk township. It took its name from the large mound, situated near the center of
In the year 1828 Theodorus Davis, Jr., became the first settler of the township. In July, 1829, John Moore, with
his family, consisting of wife and three children, settled in the township. He located on a tract of land about
three miles southwest of Carlinville.
In 1830 David Gimlin settled on land about three miles southwest of Carlinville, in Brushy Mound township. He was
a Baptist minister and preached the first sermon ever delivered in the township.
In 1831 several settlers came, among them the Weatherfords, Jefferson Hardin and others, who located in the northeast
corner of the township on what was later known as Weatherford's prairie. Soon afterward came Elijah Mitchell and
Thomas Hughes and settled on Brushy Mound prairie. About this same time Henry and Thomas Beauford and Willis and
William Whitworth, with their families, also settled here.
In 1832 William Kettner and family located on what was known as Spanish Needle prairie.
In 1833 or 1834 Jefferson Weatherford built a mill which was operated by ox power.
In 1837 Haskins Trabue built a carding factory_ which for many years supplied the settlers with woolen yarn.
In the spring of 1851 Thomas Carr and Elijah Mitchell built a grist mill on Honey creek and in 1853 B. F. Clark
and J. R. Mitchell built a mill on Spanish Needle prairie. Some time later Braley's mill on Honey creek, and Borough's
mill at Borough station, were erected.
The first couple married in this township was William Flinan and Miss Edith Gimlin, daughter of David Gimlin, their
wedding being celebrated on the 17th of January, 1833.
The first child born in the township was Theodorus, son of John and Ann Moore, on the 16th of September, 1830.
When seventeen years of age he enlisted for service in the war with Mexico and died of yellow fever at Tampico,
Mexico, September 30, 1847.
The first house of worship in the township was erected by the Baptists, on section 12, in the northeast part of
the township. It was 20x30 feet, built of hewn logs, covered with oak shingles, while the floor was made of undressed
oak plank. In 1832 this structure was replaced by a frame building, which was erected on the south side of Honey
creek timber. In 1873 a third building was erected.
The first school district in the township was organized in 1834. The building was made of logs and the school was
conducted by Thomas P. Low.
The first entries of land in the township were made as follows: October 19, 1829, eighty acres on section 5, by
Travis Moore: October 8, 1830, eighty acres on the same section by David Gimlin; October 16, 1830, eighty acres
on section 12, by Harding Weatherford.