HONEY POINT TOWNSHIP.
Honey Point is one of the eastern tier of townships and is bounded on the north by Shaw's Point township, on
the east by Montgomery county, on the south by Cahokia and on the west by Brushy Mound townships.
The first entry of land was made by Aaron Hammer, August 19, 1819, which was a tract of eighty acres on section
32. The second entry was made by Hardin Hall, May 24, 1831, which was eighty acres on section 17, and two days
later, on the 26th of May of the same year, Thomas Carr entered eighty acres on section 18.
The earliest settlers who came sought the edge of the timber but eventually settlements were made on the prairie
land. In 1832 Elijah Mitchell came, and in 1833 he was followed by Thomas D. Moore, Robert Scott and a Mr. Rucker.
Other early settlers were Judge Olds, John Perkins, James Sinclair, M. J. W. Hart, James Mounce and Thomas I. Williams.
J. W. York came here in 1828. Peter Keplinger, John McReynolds, W. N. Culp, J. D. Sanders and James Hunt were also
among the earliest arrivals.
This township received its appellation from the following incident: Near the center of the township, on the banks
of Honey creek is found a grove about three quarters of a mile wide, extending westward almost three miles, and
surrounded on all sides by prairie. It is said that during the Black Hawk war a company of soldiers under Colonel
Whiteside, in marching from St. Louis to Springfield, camped in the east end of the timber for the night. In the
morning their attention was attracted to a large number of bees and they later discovered a number of bee trees
filled with honey, and ever after this section of the county was known as Honey Point township.
The first school was conducted in a building near the center of the township in the Honey Point timber.
The first resident ministers were Elders Mitchell and Brown and others who came to preach were Isaac Haycraft.
J. B. Rhoads and Messrs. Carr and Williams.
The township contains no village or postoffice but the village of Clyde is located near the southern border just
across the line in Cahokia township.