Scottville township is located in town 12, range 9. It is bounded on the north by Morgan county, on the cast
by North Palmyra township, on the south by Barr township, and on the west by Greene county. The surface is undulating
and both timber and prairie land is to be found here. It is well drained for Apple, Panther, Turner, Toe's and
Big Nigger creeks all flow through the township.
In 1825 Andrew Ilettick came with his wife and six children and located at the head of Negro Lick. He put up a
small log cabin, which was the first building of any kind in the township. His nearest neighbor was Edward Prather,
in Greene county, eleven miles distant. It was not until three years later that other settlers came into the township.
Isaac E. Pruitt entered the first land in the township, one hundred and sixty acres on section 21, in 1828. The
sesond entry of land was made by Jacob S. Gibson, which was an eight acre tract on section 12, on the 8th of January,
1829. Andrew Hettick entered eighty acres on section 27 in the spring of the same year.
Those who came here during the years 1828, 1829 and 1830 were William Thompson, Lawrence McManus, John Record,
Colonel Powell H. Sharp, James H. Cherry, William Watson, John Redfern and a Mr. Sego.
The first schoolhouse was built of logs and located on the south side of Negro Lick. This was in the summer of
1829 and that year a Mr. Scruggs became the first teacher.
The first mill in the locality was erected in 1828 by Hugh Conoway. It was located in the southern portion of the
township and was operated by horse power. A little later a second mill was erected in the same locality by Fountain
Land. About the same time James H. Cherry put up a tread mill and Thomas Lutrell built a water mill on Apple creek.
Prior to the building of these mills the settlers had to go to Allen's mill on Apple creek, four miles north of
Carrollton, in Greene county.
A Baptist society was formed in the south part of the township by Rey. Stephen Coonrod. a Baptist minister, who
preached the first sermon in the township, holding services for some time in the homes of the settlers. Eventually
ministers of the Methodist, Christian and Presbyterian denominations came into the township, holding services either
in private homes or in a schoolhouse until churches could be erected. The first church edifice was erected by the
Christian denomination in Scottville.
The first marriage in the township was in 1828, the contracting parties being Samuel Thompson and Miss Artemesia
Hettick, a daughter of Andrew Hettick. Dr. W. H. Palmer was the first physician to locate here.
The village of Scottville is located on sections 16 and 21. The proprietors of the town were Jefferson Weatherford
and Tristram P. Hoxey. It was laid out by Benjamin Stephenson in 1835.
The first postmaster in the town was Sargeant Gobble, and Dr. John Candle was proprietor of the first hotel. Alfred
Ruyle opened the first blacksmith shop in the town.
Rev. Samuel B. Culp, a Baptist minister, was the first regular pastor in the town.
Dr. Wesley Goode came in 1835, he being the first physician to locate here for practice.
The first school was taught by James Howard.
In 1854 the first mill was erected by William M. Evans, and John and Isaac Mansfield.
The first child born in the village was Robert McFarlan.
Scottville is another of the villages of the county that has gone backward. In 1899 it had 363 people within its
limits. At the time of the census in 1900, the population had increased by one and the census of 1910 shows only
301 for that year.