History of Lynchburg Township, Mason County, Illinois
From: Centennial History of Mason County
BY: Joseph Cochrane
Rokker's Steam Printing House.
Springfield, Ill., 1876
Among the first settlers in Lynchburg township was Nelson Abbey, in the year 1837. He built a log cabin near
where the village of Sny Carte now stands, which is supposed to have been the first house in Lynchburg township.
During the next year William Rodgers settled near, and was soon followed by John Rodgers, his brother. There also
came, in 1838, Amos Smith, Sr., with his sons, Amos, Jr., and B. F., who settled in the same vicinity. Then came
John Camp and Richard J. Phelps. Then William Davis, James D. Reeves and George W. Phelps, all making a settlement
in a radius of about four miles. Amos Smith, Sr., died in the fall of 1841. Amos Smith, Jr., was elected Magistrate
for Linchburg precinct, on the first organization of Mason county, the same year, which office he continued to
hold until his death, in 1851. He was also a county commissioner on the first organization. B. F. Smith, before
named, engaged in farming and carpentering, accumulated a fine property, and died. March, 1867. His only surviving
descendant, Benjamin B. Smith, resides on the old farm. The Smith family emigrated from Rochester, Windsor county,