History of Burton, Il.
From: The History of McHenry County, Illinois
Published by: Munsell Publishing Company, 1922
Burton Township has the least area of any township in this county. It contains one third of congressional township 46, range 9 and lies in the extreme northeastern part of the county. It is bounded on the north by the State of Wisconsin; on the east by Lake County, Ill.; on the south by McHenry Township; and on the west by Richmond Township. It is drained by Nippersink Creek, and is well situated and by nature adapted to high-class agriculture and stockraising.
Burton Township was among the first to be settled. It was first settled by Englishmen, and the name English
Prairie was given it. The original settler was Jonathan Imeson, who came here from England in 1836 and located
in section 18 of this township, and in 1885, when seventy-five years old, was still residing on this land. A year
or two later Richard Wray settled on sections 17 and 18; Stephen Lawson on section 18; and Martin Hoffman, William
Fowles, Richard Upston, Joseph Rice, John A. Mann, and Joseph Blivin, all located in section 30.
The township was first called Benton by Jackson Wray, but upon it being learned that there was already a post
office and township of Benton in Illinois, the name was changed to Burton.
The first death known among white people here was that of Mrs. Frank Richardson, who passed away in the autumn
SPRING GROVE VILLAGE
This little village takes its name, evidently, from the spring, and the beautiful grove that once surrounded
it, which was viewed by the pioneer band who first located here. It was laid out in 1845 by Mr. Barnum. William
Fowles and Richard Robinson built a log house east of the grove, and these constituted the first cabins in the
place. John E. Mann opened the first store in 1845.
This place was legally incorporated October 6, 1902. The following is a list of the various presidents and clerks
to the present date: William Seaver, president November, 1902, to May, 1903; William B. Johonnote, village clerk,
November, 1902, to May, 1903; Charles U. Andrews, president, May 1, 1903, to May 1, 1904; D. W. Lichty, clerk,
May 1, 1903, to May 1, 1904; Anton Schoefer, president, May, 1904, to May, 1905; Nick N. Weber, clerk, May, 1904,
to May, 1905; Joseph Meredith, president, May, 1905, to May, 1906; Nick N. Weber, clerk, May, 1905, to May, 1906;
John Wagner, president, May, 1906, to May, 1907; Nick N. Weber, clerk, May, 1906, to May, 1907; John Wagner, president
from May 1, 1907, to January, 1908; Otto Rasse filled out unexpired term to May, 1909; John Karls, clerk, 1907-08;
Herbert R. Peacock appointed to fill term out to May, 1909; Anton Schoefer, president, May, 1909, to 1910; Howard
Westlake, clerk, 1909 to 1910; William Rauen, clerk from May, 1910 to 1912; Anton Schoefer, president, 1911 to
1913; William Ranen, clerk, May, 1912, to May, 1913, resigned, Albert Pepping appointed to fill vacancy to May
1, 1914; John Karis, president, May, 1913, to May, 1914; Glen Esh, clerk, from May, 1916, to May, 1918; John Karis,
president, May, 1917, to May, 1919; Glen Esh, clerk, May, 1918, to May, 1920; Joseph Wagner, president, May, 1919,
to May, 1921.
The first post office in this township was known as Blivin 's Mills, and was established in 1851, with Joseph Rice as postmaster. He was succeeded by R. J. Osmann, Mrs. Rice, widow of former postmaster, and Robert Tweed, who held the office until at least 1885, since which time the postmasters have been: John Hendricks, Andrew Neish, Robert Esh, Andrew Neish, J. O. MeLeon, Herbert Peacock, Mrs. Sarah Freeman, who was appointed in 1915. It is a fourth class post office, with one rural free delivery route, the length of which is about twenty-eight miles; covers a ten mile square area and accommodates ninety-six families and a population of nearly 300. It was established October 7, 1905.
In 1890 Burton Township had a population of 296; in 1900 it had 400; in 1910 it had 451; and in 1920 it had 441.
The following are the township officials of Burton Township: Supervisor, Frank May; assessor, Henry C. Sweet; clerk, Joseph Brown; highway commissioner, Howard Siedschlag; justice of the peace, Robert Esh; constable, Michael Rauen.