History of Nunda, Il.
From: The History of McHenry County, Illinois
Published by: Munsell Publishing Company, 1922
Nunda Township comprises congressional township 44, range 8 and one third of range 9. It is bounded on the north by McHenry Township; on the east by Lake County; on the south by Algonquin Township; on the west by Door Township. This subdivision of McHenry County is among the finest agricultural sections of the northern portion of Illinois. Dairying is now the chief industry of the farms. The Fox River courses through the township. As originally known Lilly and Clear Lakes were in the center of its territory, but these lakes are gradually disappearing. Hanley's Creek crosses the .northern portion, and Stickney's Run, with lesser streams make Nunda one of the best watered in McHenry County.
ORIGIN OF NAME
For a short period after Nunda Township was settled, it was known as Brooklyn, it being so named by William and C. Goff. But when a post office was petitioned for, it was discovered that another Brooklyn was already in existence in Illinois. A public meeting was called, and the name was changed to Nunda in honor of the birthplace of Col. William Huffman, a leading man in the community, who was born in Nunda, N. Y.
The first white man to invade the confines of what is now Nunda Township was George Stickney, who came in December,
1835, locating on section 6, where he erected the first house in the township. This primitive cabin contained no
iron of any description, wooden pegs being used instead of nails. Benjamin McOmber, who arrived a short time after
Mr. Stickney, lived in his log house. Samuel Terwilliger, came in June, 1836 and was the third settler. Cameron
Goff was the fourth, and he arrived in October, 1837.
The first plowing in this township was executed by Samuel Terwilliger.
OLD VILLAGE OF NUNDA
What is now within the incorporation of the city of Crystal Lake, but was originally known as. the village of Nunda, was platted in August, 1868. It was situated on section 32, township 44, range 8. A man named Reed conducted a general store there as early as 1855. The first depot for the railroad at this point (Chicago & Northwestern system now) was shipped out from Chicago on flat cars. That was in 1856. It was set down carefully, just where the old Fox River Valley crossed the "Northwestern." Then, Nunda the village had not even been thought of. This station house was for the accommodation of the workmen, and being fearful of the high winds, it was staked down to the right-of-way. Finally Nunda sprung up and flourished under that name many years, and was finally incorporated as a village, but with the several Crystal Lake corporations it was decided at an election not long since that Nunda should be merged with the Crystal Lake villages, and so it is today.
This was the name given to a collection of houses or hamlet in this township. Thomas Combs built a store there,
and about it grew the small place. A mill was built in 1857 and carried on successfully by its proprietor, Mr.
Ferguson, until his death in 1865. Patterson Bros. owned the mill later, and still later it was owned by Messrs.
McCord and J. F. Thompson. It was finally owned by Louis Munch, who in 1884 remodeled it and made "patent
In 1890 Nunda Township had a population of 1,805; in 1900 it was 1,965, 1910 it was at 2,110, including parts of Crystal Lake and North Crystal Lake corporations, and in 1920 it was 2,321.
The following are tile township officials of Nunda Township: Supervisor, A. H. Hale; assessor, George L. Bryant; clerk, H. A. Rowley; highway commissioner, John Pierson; justice of the peace, P. F. Hunt; constable, George J. Chiert.