History of Blue Mounds Township, McLean County, Illinois
From: History of McLean County Illinois
By: Jacob L. Hasbrouck
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianoplis 1924

Blue Mounds Township. - This township, consisting entirely of prairie land, takes its name from a ridge which was to be seen in the early days located in section 28, but which is now not visible from a distance owing to the obstructions of hedges, orchards, etc. Being prairie, the township was not settled until a later period than sections of the county which had timber. The land composing the township was largely government or railroad lands, which were held off the market for some years after settlements had been made elsewhere. The first settler was supposed to have been Thomas Arnold, who located in 1853 on section 27. In the next year came J. S. Stagner and W. L. Burton and others. There were several farms taken up before the years 1857 and 1858, when the general panic and failure of the wheat crop bankrupted many farmers. James H. Doyle was the first supervisor when the township was organized in 1858, and David Wheeler was supervisor when the civil war broke out Many soldiers went into the army from this township, but owing to there being no postoffice their enlistments were credited to other townships. After the close of the civil war was the great rush of settlers, and most of the farms were taken up by 1867, many by returning soldiers, who married and established homes.

When the Kankakee branch of the Illinois Central road was built in 1884, it resulted in establishing two villages or grain shipping points. One was Cooksville on the eastern border, the other Fletcher, on the western. Cooksville was named after F. W. Koch of Bloomington, who owned land in the vicinity. The German form of the name was anglicized. The village was incorporated in 1901 with about 300 inhabitants. Blue Mound township possesses on an average about the best prairie soil in the county, and its farms are prosperous and well kept of late years in spite of early hardships. Money Creek flows through the southwestern part of the township, while two small streams unite in the northeast and flow into the Mackinaw river.

Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]

Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy