History of Dale Township, McLean County, Illinois
From: History of McLean County Illinois
By: Jacob L. Hasbrouck
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianoplis 1924

Dale Township. - This township was settled among the first in the county, along about 1827 or '28. Robert H. Johnson was among the early settlers, and William Beeler came to this section about 1830. There were still many Indians in the vicinity when Beeler settled here. This township was blessed with much timber, Twin Grove being one of the larger tracts, located on the northern border; Hougham's Grove, or Harley's Grove in the center, and the west point of Blooming Grove in the eastern. Dr. Isaac Baker and Deacon James Tomkins of New York were among the first settlers on the prairie lands. Sugar Creek and its branches furnished the water courses of the township. A water mill for grinding corn was built by Abraham Harley about 1847 on section 47, which ran for several years. There are two unincorporated villages in the township, Shirley and Covell. Shirley has two elevators, a school house, two churches, stores and several residences. Covell has a union church, a school house, stores and some residences. A Methodist church which stood on section 2 was blown down in the big storm of 1902.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy