History of Money Creek Township, McLean County, Illinois
From: History of McLean County Illinois
By: Jacob L. Hasbrouck
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianoplis 1924

Money Creek Township. - The township takes the name of the creek which enters its borders near the southwestern corner and passes to the northwest. The Mackinaw River crosses its northeast corner. Being well supplied with water and timber land, the township was settled very early, Lewis Sowards arriving here in 1825. Jacob Harness came about the same time and Jacob Spawr in 1826. Being accustomed to the wild life of the frontier, Sowards moved to Wisconsin when his neighbors became too "thick" that is, when there were several within a few miles of him. Gen. Joseph Bartholomew was perhaps the most distinguished of the early settlers of this township, coming here from Bartholomew County, Ind., in 1830. He had a distinguished military record in the Revolutionary War, in the Indian wars that followed and was an officer in the battle of Tippecanoe, where he was wounded. He was a distinguished citizen of Indiana, when he met financial reverses and emigrated to Illinois to attempt to recuperate his fortunes. When the Black Hawk War was on in 1832, the people of this sparsely settled county were in fear of attacks by the red men, hence sent General Bartholomew to the Indian village in Livingston County to learn the real intentions of the Indians. They met a friendly reception, and their report served to allay many of the fears among the settlers of this county. Nevertheless, General Bartholomew believed in "preparedness," hence he advised the building of rude forts or block houses as means of defense. One such was erected at the home of John Patton near Selma in Lexington Township and the Henlines also erected one. General Bartholomew and his son Marston laid out the village of Clarksville on July 13, 1836. In a few years it had grown to quite a town, with a hotel, store, shoe shop, carding mill, cabinet shop and saloon, there being about twenty buildings. General Bartholomew died in 1840, leaving his plans for bridging the Mackinaw River incomplete, and the town of Clarksville gradually lost prestige and population until there are only two buildings left on its site. Always interested in public affairs, General Bartholomew took an active part in the campaign of 1840 for his friend and old commander, Gen. William Henry Harrison. His exertions in the campaign resulted in his collapse and death on Nov. 2 that year. Many mills were built in Money Creek Township in the early days, but none of them remain. Among the proprietors of these mills were George W. Wallis, Adam Hinthorn, W. G. Bishop. There is one village in the township, Fifer by name, but it has no postoffice. United Brethren and Methodist churches were organized in the township, but only two U. B. churches remain at present, people of other denominations going to Towanda or Lexington. The C. & A. railroad crosses a corner of this township, but there is no station in the township.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy