History of Yates Township, McLean County,
From: History of McLean County Illinois
By: Jacob L. Hasbrouck
Historical Publishing Company
Yates Township lies in the extreme northeast part of the county. The T. P. & W. Railroad crosses the township.
Chenoa and Lexington are the nearest trading towns in McLean County for the Yates Township people. Owing to the
lack of timber, Yates was not settled early, the first entries of lands being in 1855-6. It was part of Chenoa
Township from its organization in 1858 until 1862. This was first called Union Township owing to the sentiments
of its people, but there were others of the same name in the state, and the name was changed to Yates in honor
of the Civil War govern& of Illinois. Yates Township had a great influx of population just after the Civil
War, and after the prairie land was properly drained it became some of the most fertile in the county. Yates Township
is one of the two townships in the county which still owns school lands, there being 240 acres unsold of the original
assignment, while West Township has 720 acres. The township school fund is $50,000, being next to West. David Ogle,
an early settler, donated to the township school fund $5,800, and later a further sum of $2,000, subject only to
a small life annuity.