Also see the City of Toulon.
Of the eight townships comprising Stark County, Toulon is the most centrally located. It includes Congressional
Township 13 north, range 6 east. Elmira Township bounds it on the north; Penn on the east; Essex on the south,
and Goshen on the west. Spoon River flows southwardly across the eastern portion and the southwest corner is watered
by Indian Creek. Along the streams the surface is somewhat broken, but the greater part of the township "consists
of rolling land with a fertile soil, well adapted to agricultural purposes. Some coal has been mined in the township.
When Stark County was first organized in 1839 the eastern half of this township was in the Wyoming Precinct and
the western half in the Central Precinct. Fourteen years later the township system was adopted and the name of
"Toulon" was given to the township, from the county seat, which is located near its western border.
More than one hundred military land warrants were located in Toulon Township between the years 1817 and 1820. Jonathan
Matthews and Samuel P. Tufts selected claims in section 1; Michael Cunningham and Nathan Chadwick, section 2; William
Dunlap and Charles Gist, section 3; Erastus Backus and Joseph Banks, section 4; Solomon Hutchinson and Jesse Seeley,
section 5; Jacob Rheam, section 6; David Park, Hiram Stevens and William Wiley, section 7; Elijah Coates, Ira Ellmore
and Samuel McCahan, section 8; Daniel Dudley, Amos J. Eagleson, Silas McCullough and Robert Morton, section 9;
Hester Faust, Bela Hall, Joseph Porter and Ira Remington, section 10; Isaac Dyer, Benjamin Pratt, James Thomas
and Benjamin H. Tozer, section 11; Luke Blackshire, Abram Bowman and Samuel Grimes, section 12; David Fulwell,
Jesse Ormsby, George W. Russell and Isaac Patch, section 13; John Dawson, John Pike, Robert D. Thompson and David
R. Whiteley, section 14; Samuel Null, Abram Rader, Thomas Thompson and John R. Turner, section 15; James Bulley,
William Davidson, Valentine Matthews and John Yearns, section 17; John Wallace and William Young, section 18; William
Bennett and Gideon W. Moody, section 19; Lydia Barrett, Edward D. Strickland, Robert Vallally and William Vanderman,
section 20; Jeptha Cloud, Robert Fry, Moses McClay and Robert Miner, section 21; Nicholas Cook, Allen B. Strong
and John Wells, section 22; Reuben Boles, Richard Hill and W. B. McKennan, section 23; Abel H. Coleman, Silas M.
Moore and Isaac Parcelles, section 24; Joseph Joy, William Karns, John Thompson and Asaph Wetherill, section 25;
George Metzinger, Thomas Rogers and Joseph Wildey, section 26; Timothy Cook, Joseph S. Gorman, Job Parkhead and
Polly Tucker, section 27; Ebenezer Gilkey, Samuel Griffith, Jacob Slantler and Phineas Spilman, section 28; Asa
Hill, William Hyde, Henry Roberts and James Trumbull, section 29; Philip Lawless and Adam McCaslin, section 30;
Squire Williams and Peter Wolf, section 31; James Baldwin, David Hambleton, Isaac Higgins and Thomas Wandell, section
32; Henry Bailey, James Chancey, Joseph Cram and John Cross, section 33; Jeremiah Davis, Richard Nixon, William
Oaks and John Short, section 34; John Bussell, Luke G. Hasley, Benjamin Hughes and Henry Murphy, section 35; John
Lynes, John Hageman, Patrick Short and Thomas W. Way, section 36.
The first lands entered for actual settlement were the southwest quarter of section 30 and the northwest quarter
of section 31, which were entered on June 24, 1839, the former by Adam Perry and the latter by William H. Henderson.
On September 6, 1839, John Miller entered the southwest quarter of section 19, where the City of Toulon now stands,
and on the 28th of the same month John Culbertson entered the quarter section directly north of Miller's. Lewis
Perry, Chauncey D. Fuller and William Mahaney also entered lands in the township in the fall of 1839.
Col. William H. Henderson, one of the early settlers in Toulon Township and a man who played an important part
in the early history of Stark County, was born in Garrard County, Ky., November 16, 1793. At the beginning of the
War of 1812 he enlisted in the Kentucky Mounted Riflemen, commanded by Col. Richard M. Johnson, and with his regiment
was at the battle of the Thames, October 5, 1813. Upon retiring from the army he. located in Stewart County, Tenn.,
where he was married on January 11, 1816, to Miss Lucinda Wimberly. He served as sheriff of Stewart County and
afterward removed to Haywood County, in the western part of the state. In 1831 he visited Illinois and selected
lands in what is now La Salle County, about fifteen miles north of the present City of Ottawa. In the spring of
1832 his father and mother, two of his brothers and a man named Robert Norris, with two of his wife's brothers,
set out for the new possessions. Just then the Black Hawk war came on, Robert Norris was killed by the Indians
and the other members of the family were compelled to vacate their claims. Colonel Henderson therefore remained
in Tennessee and in 1835 was elected to represent his district in the State Senate. He resigned his seat, however,
before the expiration of his term, and on July 2, 1836, landed in Stark County. His work in securing the organization
of the county is told in another chapter; the first session of the Circuit Court of Stark County was held at his
house; he was a member of the last Legislature that met at Vandalia and the first that met at Springfield, and
was otherwise active in public affairs. In 1845 he removed to Iowa and died in that state on January 27, 1864.
His son, Thomas J. Henderson, was colonel of the One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Infantry in the Civil war.
In 1841 the county seat was located at Toulon and much of the history of Toulon Township is intimately associated
with the county seat. It is therefore told in connection with the history of the City of Toulon in another chapter.
The Peoria & Rock Island (now the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific) Railroad was built through the township
According to the United States census for 1910 the population in that year was 2,579, which included parts of the
cities of Toulon and Wyoming. There are nine school districts in the township, outside of the City of Toulon, in
which ten teachers were employed during the school year of 1914-15, and in 1914 the taxable value of the property,
including railroad property, was $1,401,244.