Valley Township occupies the southeast corner of the county and embraces Congressional Township 12 north, range
7 east. It is bounded on the north by Penn Township; on the east by Marshall County; on the south by Peoria County,
and on the west by the Township of Essex. Previous to the introduction of the township system in 1853, this part
of the county farmed a part of the Wyoming Precinct. When the county was divided into townships the name "Valley"
was conferred upon this political subdivision for the reason that it occupies the broad, fertile valley at the
foot of the highest divide in the state. Camping Run flows in a westerly direction through the northern part and
Mud Run through the southern part. With a generally level or slightly rolling surface and a productive soil, some
of the finest farms in the county are in Valley Township.
With the exception of section 16 — the public school section — and a few isolated tracts here and there, practically
the entire township was claimed by veterans of the War of 1812 under the Military Bounty Act. Following is a list
of soldiers' land warrants located between the years 1817 and 1820:
Section 1, Charles Gibhard and Linus Gilbert; section 2, Justus Cobb and Thomas Edwards; section 3, Joseph McCord
and John Thornburg; section 4, John Vinchane and Charles Young; section 5, Welcome Butterworth (320 acres); section
6, John Sargent and James Sawyer, section 7, Isaac Paulding and Samuel P. Stegner; section 8, Isaac Childs, John
Erskine, Hugh Robb and Nehemiah Wood; section 9, Richard Horton, William Herrald, William W. Sickles and Nicholas
Van Steyke; section 10, Benjamin Fall, Caleb Johnson, Leverett Richardson and John Vanderbeck; section 11, John
Green, David Page and Edward Wyman; section 12, William Heath, Thomas H. Parker and John Pritchard; section 13,
Robert Brown, Philip Clarke, Robert Cockles and Thompson White; section 14, Zerah Call, John Coffey, Oliphant Coleman
and Charles Kitchen; section 15, Lodowick Blackley, James Briggs and John O'Neil; section 17, George Armstrong,
John Concannon, Hampton Owens and John Thompson; section 18, Isaac Ackerman, James Beardwine, Pleasant Meredith
and Peter Rotis; section 19, John Bingham, Norman Collins and Benjamin R. Meredith; section 20, Daniel Burns, William
Dillon, Philip Kinston and Nathaniel White; section 21, John Booth, Gerard Gibson, John L. Griswold and William
Walker; section 22, David Durand and Charles Tabor; section 23, John Andrews, Isaac Garrett and Nathan Hall; section
24, Charles Curran, William T. Graves, William McGlynn and Owen Riley; section 25, Samuel Adams, Thomas Carty,
James Sproul and Joseph Yates; section 26, Frederick Cook, Frank Lowder, John McCormack and Benjamin Tarr; section
27, Ichabod Colby, Thomas Harris and Conrad Mandell; section 28, Clement C. Minor; section 29, David Guthrie, David
Bringman, Francis Dudley and Moses Hamphill; section 30, John Archibald, Benjamin S. Snyder and Alexander Waistcoat;
section 31, John Ayler, Henry Emery, Michael Gebhart and Daniel Palmer; section 32, Silas Beverstock, Samuel Chatterton,
Calvin Hoyt and John Lackey; section 33, William Hearn, William Martland, Aaron Turner and Horton Wood; section
34, Peter Holloway, Isaac Smith, William Tapp and Daniel Woolford; section 35, Putnam Conouss, Ahaz Cook and James
H. Rowland; section 36, Like Barton, Moses Davis and Zeba Parmelee.
As in the other townships of the county, these military titles subsequently caused numerous misunderstandings and
retarded settlement to some extent. Among those who entered lands along in the 30s for actual occupation were Edwin
and Titus Hutchinson, William C Cummings, Joseph Sulliman, Charles Pope and a few others. The school section was
not disposed of until 1851.
On July 17, 1847, the first school trustees — David Rouse, Z. G. Bliss and William C. Cummings — were chosen at
an election held at the house of David Rouse, and the township was soon afterward organized for school purposes.
There were then but nine families, with forty one children, and only two districts were established. Since then
the two original districts have been subdivided until in 1915 there were eight. The eight schoolhouses in the township
were then valued at $8,650 and during the school year of 1914-15 ten teachers were employed.
Valley is fairly well provided with transportation facilities, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad passing
through the western part and the Chicago & Northwestern through the southeastern portion. Stark on the former
and Speer on the latter are the only railroad stations. In 1910 the population was 821, an increase of 33 during
the preceding decade, and in 1914 the assessed value of the property, including railroads, was $856,836.