Compiled by Bertham Rees.
As to extent, Elwood township is only a shadow of what it was once, bout without its history, the history of
the county or state would not be complete, for it still contains some very noted places, noted men and some of
the best and most productive farms in the county. Before the division, Elwood comprised all of town 17, range Ii,
west of the second P. M., a fraction of range 10 and two tiers of sections off the east side of range 12, making
almost 1 1/2 congressional townships. The voters of the north end of the township made complaint because of having
so far to go to vote so that a strip 1 mile wide was set off of the north side and given to Georgetown township.
Later, by petition of the residents, the eastern half of the township (except sections 26 and 34) was set off as
a separate township and named Love township in honor of Judge I. A. Love of Danville, who was the legal adviser
in making the change. That portion of the Harrison purchase which before had been a part of Elwood was retained,
although from the way it lays it should more properly come in Love township.
Three fourths of the land now comprising Elwood township is deep rich black loam soil and sufficiently rolling
to make the best farms. The Little Vermilion river runs across the northwest corner cutting off about 1 1/2 sections
and it is along this stream that the only waste land in the township is found. About the only timber in the township
is found in this region. It was in this region that the first settlers made their homes, it being thought foolish
at that time to get away from the streams and timber to make settlements, as the streams furnished water and the
timber furnished fuel.
The mineral value of the township so far as developed is very limited. It is known that most of the township is
underlaid with a good quality of bituminous coal but as yet there are no workings within its limits. Several attempts
have been made to locate oil, but as far as can be learned no oil or gas in paying quantities have been found.
Some claim there is a ledge of limestone in the northwest corner, but nothing has developed along that line. It
is safe to say that the soil is the chief asset of the township to date.
The history of the settlement of Elwood township is closely connected with the history of this entire section of
the country. A great number of places in the south part of the county were settled about the same time. The first
settlements within the township were Vermilion Grove, Pilot Grove and Ridgefarm. The names given these places were
given them on account of some natural characteristic of the country. The name Vermilion came from the Vermilion
river which runs nearby and on account of a post office farther south, being named Vermilion. When the post office
here was established, it was called Vermilion Grove, being located in a natural grove.
Pilot Grove was so named on account of a grove located on higher ground than the surrounding country and served
as a pilot for travelers through that section in early days.
Ridgefarm was the name given by Abram Smith to his farm located where the town now stands and was so named because
of the rise in the ground that forms a ridge extending across the township from east to west.
Vermilion Grove is the oldest settlement in the township and its history dates back to 1820 when John Malsby came
from Indiana and built a cabin just northeast of where the public school building now stands, but finding the country
so new and wild went back to Indiana.
George Bocke came about the same time and took a claim but on account of the ponds and swamps and malaria which
were abundant, he with his family moved on to Brooks Point, after having sold his claim to John Haworth who became
the first permanent settler in the locality. Mr. Haworth was a Quaker or Friend, as they are now called, and thus
was begun, amongst the hardships and privations of pioneer life, the foundation for the broad and substantial influence
of the Friends in Illinois.
Mr. Haworth left Tennessee in 1818, to get away from the institution of slavery and out from under its effects.
He went to Union County, Indiana, and came here in 1821 and wintered in the house built by Mr. Malsby. He was a
cousin of James Haworth who settled soon after near Georgetown. He did not undertake farming his land by raising
grain, but raising stock seemed more profitable. Mr. Haworth entered many hundred acres of land but did not hold
it to speculate on, but sold it to his friends as they came into the new country.
George Harworth, an uncle of John, came soon after and was instrumental in establishing the first meeting in the
township. Thus the Friends church which has had so much influence on the history of the township and surrounding
country, had its small beginning. A log church was soon built near where the present brick structure stands.
Elvin Haworth, a son of John Haworth, lived all his life on the well known Haworth farm and during his life contributed
much to the church and school. leaving the bulk of his land to Vermilion academy by will at his death.
Henry Canaday came from Tennessee in 1821 and built a cabin one half mile west of the station, but his boys could
not stand the wildness and all moved back to Tennessee. They soon regretted the move and tried it again in the
fall, determined to settle down and make the new country their home. During the first trip, so the account goes,
they brought some hogs, which, when they went back, were turned loose in the woods and became wild. These, together
with other wild game, furnished good sport for any inclined to be a Nimrod for years afterward. John Mills was
another early settler here, but went farther west entering the land where the Mills descendants now occupy.
Thus many settlers came and began the foundation for a strong church, a splendid school and a prosperous and substantial
farming community. The hardships and privations were great, but out from this toil and suffering, sprung the institutions
which the people of this community now enjoy, and many do not fail to ascribe the honor and tribute to those who
wrought and fought for the splendid heritage.
The first school in Vermilion County was taught by Reuben Black who came from Ohio, in the winter of 1824-5. It
was in a log house one mile west of Vermilion Grove. John Mills sent three sons and one daughter, Joseph Jackson
sent two children, Ezekiel Hollingsworth sent four children, Henry Canaday sent his son William, John Haworth sent
his sons Thomas, David and Elvin. This made 14 scholars in all. The branches taught were spelling, reading, writing
and arithmetic. The second school was taught by Elijah Yeager, a Methodist minister from east Tennessee, two years
later, in a cabin one mile northeast of Vermilion station. The house was built of logs, 16 feet square. It was
certainly one of the old timers of which some of us have heard our fathers tell. But the old house soon became
inadequate and the needs of the fast growing community demanded a better building. In 185o a frame structure was
built, 30 X 52, with two recitation rooms properly furnished. This was called Vermilion seminary. Jonah M. Davis
was employed as principal and school opened with to students. The following branches were taught: Geography, algebra,
chemistry, geometry, surveying, history, mineralogy, philosophy, reading, writing, spelling, elocution and Latin.
Mr. Davis continued here for five years, and was certainly one of the best educators of his day. Many of the (now)
old men who reside in this and surrounding communities date their education back to this old seminary.
Vermilion academy of today is really the continuation of the old seminary. It was established in 1874, by the Society
of Friends and has continued under their management to the present time. The first board of trustees chosen consisted
of William Rees, John Henderson, Richard Mendenhall, John Elliott, Jonah M. Davis and Elvin Haworth. A two story
brick building, 46x60, was erected at a cost of $8,000. The brick for the building were burned on the ground, thus
reducing the cost to the minimum. For the maintenance of the school $10,000, consisting of 50 scholarships of $200
each were subscribed. The owner could pay the interest at 7% on this scholarship each year which would constitute
the tuition for one scholar for one year. If he had no children of school age, he could sell the scholarship to
some one who wished to attend school.
It was the aim then, and still is, to offer a better opportunity for a liberal academic education, under purer
and more christian influences than is commonly afforded by the public high schools. While it is under the supervision
of Friends church, yet it is not sectarian. The fact that Vermilion academy has stood and still stands for noble
manhood and womanhood, is strongly attested by the large number of men and women scattered far and wide, who have
graduated and gone from its influence.
Out of 166 graduates who have gone out from the institution, 96 have at sometime since graduation taught in the
public schools, 33 of them have graduated at higher institutions, eight have gone to their long home and all the
others have and are meeting the problems of life in a way that reflects credit on their teachers and alma mater.
The original town of Ridgefarm was platted for record November 10, 1853, by Abraham Smith, and consisted of thirteen
lots beginning ten feet west of the west side of the state road and eight feet south of the county road. The same
year Thomas Haworth laid out and recorded an addition west of the state road and north of the county road. On the
27th of February, 1856, Thomas Haworth laid out his second addition of seventeen lots. On the 1st of December,
1854, J. W. Thompson laid out his first addition, east of the state road and south of the county road, eight lots;
and in August, 1856, his second addition of thirty two lots. On April 11, 1856, Abraham Smith made his third addition
of six lots. On the 25th of March, 1857, Thomas Haworth laid out his third and fourth addition. In November, 1872,
A. B. Whinnery laid out an addition of two blocks near the Big Four Railroad, and soon afterwards established a
flourishing business and for a number of years, that part of town was the main business center. On the 5th of April,
1873, R. H. Davis platted his sub division of section 30. In April, 1872, J. H. Banta platted his addition of four
blocks east of the Big Four Railroad and April 15, H. C. Smith platted an addition east of the state road. Soon
after the town was laid out by Abraham Smith he built a frame store room near where the armory now stands and conducted
a general store. Nearby Samuel Weeks built a blacksmith shop. Thomas Haworth built a store room near where the
post office now is, and rented it to another man who put in a stock of hardware. John Dickens built a tavern on
the southwest corner of the square. About 1857, Weeks and Price put up a building on the northwest corner of the
square and used it for a drug store. It is hardly worth while to say that these old buildings have long since been
removed and imposing brick structures occupy the most prominent places, while the last resting places of the men
who built the old buildings are marked by simple stone slabs in Pilot Grove, Vermilion Grove and Ridgefarm cemeteries.
With the building of the railroad in 1873-74 business increased and several business ventures found location
near the railroad. A large flouring mill was built there at that time by Davis Brothers, which was considered one
of the best mills in the country and did the mill work for a large scope of country. The mill was purchased by
Banta & Coppock and afterward Mr. Coppock sold to A. J. Darnell and he to A. B. Whinnery. An extensive grain
business was built up and when it fell to younger men, W. F. Banta became the proprietor, and he, being very successful,
retired from business in 1907, the National Elevator Co., of Indianapolis, having purchased the entire business
of Mr. Banta. This included a large number of elevators at other places. There were a great number of other business
ventures which were successful and which have been transferred to younger men who now conduct them in a profitable
and courteous manner. We might mention the lumber yard which for many years was conducted by Adam Mills, who afterward
became president of the First National Bank and served in that capacity until his death. The mercantile business
conducted by A. B. Whinnery was for many years the leading business of the kind in south Vermilion County, but
as trade is transient and buyers are always seeking new things to satisfy their fancy, and as Mr. Whinnery grew
older, his trade was largely changed to his competitors who employed new and up to date business methods. A. J.
Darnell became the leading merchant but at this time no one could long hold a monopoly of the trade. Mr. Darnell
did well however, and left a large estate.
The hardware business was chiefly left to J. P. Tuttle who with his son still conducts a very extensive trade in
that line. Others have come and gone but Tuttle stays. Many others might be mentioned but space and time forbids.
A petition for the incorporation of the village of Ridgefarm under the general incorporation act, signed by Uriah
Hadley and others, was filed in the county court on the 3d of March, 1874. The petition proposed the following
limits to the village: The S. W. 1/4 of sec. 3o and the N. W. 1/4 of sec. 31, town 17, range It, and the S. E.
i4 of 25 and the N. E. 1/4 of sec. 36, town 17, range 12, embracing I mile square of territory; and it set forth
that there were within said limits 350 inhabitants. The court ordered an election to be held at the store of J.
C. Pierce on the 21st of March, 1874, to vote on the question of incorporation. George H. Dice, R. H. Davis and
J. H. Banta were appointed judges of the election. At that election fifty one votes were cast, forty nine for incorporation
and two against. The proposition to incorporate having thus carried, the court ordered another election to be held
on the 22d of April, to vote for six trustees to serve until the regular election in course of the law. At this
election J. H. Banta, M. A. Harrold, T. C. Rees, A. J. Darnell, A. B. Whinnery and Moses Lewis were duly chosen
trustees. The trustees on May 1, organized by electing A. J. Darnell, president, and T. C Rees, clerk They adopted
a set of ordinances and fixed the compensation of officers; trustees to have $1.00 per meeting; treasurer, one
per centum; collector, two per centum. and assessor $1.50 per day. The offices of collector and assessor were afterwards
dispensed with. At the regular election in 1875 the following were elected: President, M. A. Harrold; A. B. Whinnery,
A. M. Mills, C. Lewis, S. Haworth and H. R. Craven, trustees; T. C. Rees, police magistrate; James Quinn, clerk;
E. Goodwin, constable. The village has enjoyed a constant, steady growth since its incorporation. It has never
had what is generally known as a "boom" but has quietly plodded along until now, residents claim a population
of about 1,400 people. Among the many large and commodious residences of the village at the present might be mentioned
those of William F. Banta, S. H. Brown, John Brown, Isaac Woodyard, Mrs. Addie Guffin and many more almost imposing
and beautiful Ridgefarm is noted for its fine homes.
In church, professional and business lines, Ridgefarm has the following list: 1 elevator, 1 lumber yard, 1 implement
firm, 1 light and ice plant. 1 creamery, 1 furniture store, 4 grocery stores. 2 general stores, 1 dry goods and
clothing store, 2 hardware stores, 2 restaurants, 1 drug store, 1 millinery store, 1 jewelry store, 1 printing
office, 1 paper, 1 garage, 2 banks, 2 blacksmith shops, 2 butcher shops, 1 candy kitchen, 1 harness shop, 1 livery
barn, 2 railroads, r interurban, 1 grist mill, 1 building and loan association, 3 barber shops, 1 tile mill, 1
high school, 4 churches, 5 doctors, 1 dentist, 2 veterinary doctors, 1 lawyer and 2 telephone exchanges and no
saloons. A fine Carnegie library has just been completed and is ready for occupancy. This building stands where
the old Methodist church stood years ago. A new school building is under course of construction. This when completed
will be the largest and best high school building in eastern Illinois outside the large cities. It will cost over
$30,000. Mr. Frank Pribble the contractor is a Ridgefarm boy and has been very successful in contract work.
Pilot is only a settlement, but is the most historical place in Elwood township because it is in this neighborhood
that the famous Harrison purchase begins. The northern point of this triangular piece of land lies just north of
what is known as Locust Corner school house. Harrison negotiated with the Indians for a large tract, beginning
at this point, the east side of which is a line running from this rock, on a certain day of the year, toward the
10 o'clock sun, the western line running toward the i o'clock sun and terminating in the northern part of Crawford
County, thence east to the Wabash. The east line terminates at the Wabash river a few miles north of where it becomes
the boundary of the state. The part that belongs to Elwood township extends one half mile below the southern boundary
of the township, running parallel with the southern boundary. Just why this extention into Edgar County, has not
And at one time there was a small grove near the center of the township known as Pilot Grove which in later years
has been cleared and the ground is now farmed, there being only a few acres remaining. It is now known as the Fowler
There is only one village within the borders of Pilot. It has a two room school building, a church, a hank, a grain
elevator, two or three stores and a dozen dwelling houses.
There have been several postoffice in the township on what was known as "Star" routes. These were known
as Oak, Charity and Bixby. Since the advent of the free rural deliveries these postoffice have been abandoned and
the east end of the township is served by a rural carrier out of Collison, the north side from carriers out of
Potomac and Armstrong, the south from carriers out of Ogden, Fithian, Muncie and Oakwood, thus the township. practically
being inland, has a good rural route system.
The Slidell branch of the C. & E. I., cuts across the eastern part of the township and near the place known
as Collison point. A village is located on the Thos. A. Collison place and is known as Collison. The Villa Grove
branch of the same system touches the northwest corner of the township where is located a small store, a school
house and an elevator which is known as Gerald. It has no postoffice and is practically only a cross roads place.
The whole township is practically inlaid with drainage tile. The principal crops now are corn, oats, clover and
grass. Grass is not as profitable as it was several years ago when large herds of cattle were seen grazing on the
pastures. The land is now given up to agricultural purposes and is not used for grazing. Cattle grazing has become
obsolete. The cattle that are now fed are purchased at the Chicago or other markets, shipped in, fattened and re
shipped to Chicago to the packing houses.
Pilot township is known as the largest feeders of sheep in the county. Frequently there are 25,000 head of sheep
in this township. These are fed and reshipped to Chicago markets.
Most of the corn and oats of the township are shipped to other markets. At one time this was all fed to cattle
as Pilot township used to be one of the best feeding places in the country.
Pilot has only one village, Collison, located on the C. & E. I. railroad in the eastern part of the township
near what was known in early day as Collison point.
The father of John Fletcher moved into this locality in 1828 and the Folgers soon followed, and much of the land
in the locality still belongs to the direct descendants of those early settlers. A friends church was early established
in this locality and is still kept up. Although the membership is small, yet the earnestness and zeal with which
the members carry on the work, is a subject for comment by outside people.
Olivet is the name of a new religious and educational community in the northern part of the township. This is in
the vicinity of the Old Sharon neighborhood, on the farm at one time owned by that pioneer Henry Canaday. Here
within the past three years has sprung into existence a new school which promises to be of immense proportions.
As stated in the catalogue: "Out of the conviction of a common need came the desire and prayer of a few of
God's people in this state for a school which would stand definitely and always for holiness of heart and life.
The answer of that prayer and effort is Illinois Holiness University."
The conviction was that the religious element is necessary to education; that religious experience and ethical
culture must come in the formative stages of one's life; that God can have His way with His creature man only when
his spiritual is in advance of his intellectual; and that the beginning and developing of the spiritual part must
be undertaken in early life and conducted from the first in a sane and safe manner. with the Bible as a text hook.
To this end a small school was started in 1907. Later, the present site of the university grounds was secured and
a grammar school and academic departments were added in 1908. A college department was added in 1909 and a large
dormitory for girls was erected at a cost of $30,000. Another large administration building is now being erected
at a total cost of $50,000. Other buildings are contemplated. A corps of 12 teachers are in charge of the school.
Ezra T. Franklin is president. Growing up around the university is the town of Olivet. About 16 houses with modern
equipment are completed. Many others are soon to be finished for people coming here for school purposes. Over 400
lots are platted, and 50 have been sold within the past 12 months. The location is ideal and the place is fast
taking on the appearance of a modern university community.