Georgetown township lies in the second tier of counties from the southern border of Vermilion county. It has
the Indiana state line as the eastern border. The Vermilion river runs across its northeastern corner for about
five miles with a bed so deep down as to drain the surrounding country. The Little Vermilion makes a short turn
in its southern border. This township was important territory in the first years of the life of Vermilion County,
the two most used roads of this part of the state running through it. The road known as the state road from Vincennes
to Chicago ran directly through the township and the "Salt works road" over which the product of the
salt works was hauled into the settlements of western Indiana, ran directly across Georgetown township. The Cairo
division of the N. Y. Central lines runs through the town following and parallel to the old state road. This road
was formerly known as the Paris and Danville road, the John Short road, and the Danville & Southwestern R.
Georgetown township was originally all timber, and it attracted early settlement. The heavy timber, the good water
supply, the general lay of the land and its nearness to the salt works all tended to draw settlement that way.
Later the third portion along the western border and from the center of prairie land, made this township one of
fine farms. The first settlement was made by Henry Johnson, in 182o, on section 36, just two miles west of Georgetown.
This was the year that James Butler made his home at what was afterwards known as Butlers Point.
Achilles Morgan came to Vermilion County and became a settler of this township in 1825. This immediate neighborhood
was called Morgans. Morgantown and Morgans Neighborhood.
Brooks Point (now Kelleyville) was settled about this time. This township was blessed with a large number of the
Society of Friends coming into it and bringing their institutions. It was the part of the county which in the early
times made greatest promise of merchantile progress.
The class of people who settled in Georgetown township were such as appreciated the value of schools. The Georgetown
seminary was the institution which helped in the advancement of education more than any other school in this part
of the state at that time.
Georgetown village was laid out in the spring of 1826, two months after Danville was surveyed. The first plat contained
four blocks of eight lots each. The only two streets were State street, running north and south and was a portion
of the old state road, and West street which crossed it at right angles. The plan of the village was the idea of
a hollow square such as was followed in the plat of Danville and some of the other early villages. There is a difference
of opinion in regard to the origin of the name of Georgetown. Some think it was named for George Beckwith, the
brother of the man whose name was given to Danville; while others, with as much reason probably, assert that Ai
r. Haworth gave the town, which he was laying out, the same name as that of his son who was a cripple. The first
building in Georgetown was a doctor's office. the next house was a blacksmith shop.