Adam Groth Company, Joliet, Illinois
From: History of Will County, Illinois
By: August Maue
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1928


Adam Groth Company, Joliet, was organized in 1897 by Adam Groth, who died in December, 1919. It was incorporated in 1902 with the following officers: Adam Groth, president and treasurer; Carl A. Groth, vice president; and Miss Lucy Groth, secretary. It has a capital stock of $50,000.00 and a surplus of $250,000.00. The present officers are: James L. Longley, president; R. C. Allen, vice president; and Lucy G. Longley, secretary and treasurer.

Adam Groth Company are dealers in exterior cut stone and specialize in interior marble work. The stone is brought from quarries in Indiana and Minnesota to this modern factory. The plant covers four acres of ground and employs approximately 100 men. Equipment in their shops includes: Seven planers, two diamond saws, two air compressors, one carborundum machine, one milling machine, two inside cranes, one outside crane, two lathes, four gang saws, one coper, two polishing machines and two rubbing beds.

Adam Groth Company furnished the cut stone and built the following: Post office, in 1904; The Public Library, in 1904; St. Joseph Catholic Church North, Chicago Street, in 1904; The English Lutheran Church, 1908; The First National Bank building, 1909; The Woodruff building, now known as the Morris building, 1910; and the Union Depot was finished in 1911. In 1921 the Lincoln School was built. They supplied cut stone for Joliet High School; Culbertson School; Washington School; Marsh School; Will County National Bank; First Baptist Church at Eastern and Clinton Streets; St. Francis Academy; The DeSalle High School; Guardian Angels Home; and Temple for Joliet Jewish Federation. Their 1928 contracts for cut stone include the furniture factory and administration buildings of the Illinois State Penitentiary, and the Y. M. C. A. building. They have had the contracts for the interior marble work in the construction of the Will County Bank, Elks Building, Clinton Square Hotel, and modern additions and alterations in the First National Bank.


Return to [ Illinois History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Illinois Counties at this web site - Adams - Carroll - Champaign - Cook - De Kalb - Du Page - Edgar - Kane - LaSalle - Lee - Logan - Macoupin - Madison - Mason - McHenry - McLean - Stark - Stephenson - Vermilion - Will

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy