The Champion Machinery Company, of Joliet, was established in 1886 by Phil Carroll and was originally known
as the Carroll Company, manufacturers of several types of cracker and baking machinery. The business was owned
and operated by Mr. Carroll until 1907, at which time it was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois,
with the following officers: Phil Carroll, president; John Kiep, vice president; and Roy Oliver, secretary and
In 1914 the interests of Mr. Carroll were purchased by E. A. Clark, Joseph Weber, and William E. Fay, and the company
reorganized. At that time the officers were: John Kiep, president; Joseph Weber, vice president; and E. A. Clark,
secretary and treasurer. Mr. Fay took over the Clark interests in 1920 and at that time was elected president.
Frank Motta is vice president and secretary, and P. Motta is tresaurer.
The business of the plant has increased between five and six times since 1914 and has an equipment in machinery
which is valued at $100,000.00. Approximately 128 people are employed as compared with 35 employes in 1914.
The Champion Machinery Company manufactures a complete line of baking machinery and equipment. During the World
War the company completely equipped several cantonments and battleships, and aiso received contracts from the French