Churches and Cemeteries of Adams Township,
Cass County, Indiana
From: History of Cass County, Indiana
Edited by: Dr. Jehu Z. Powell
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1913
ADAMS TOWNSHIP CHURCHES
Rev. Wm. M. Rayburn, a Methodist preacher, was probably the first minister to expound the gospel of Christ in this township about 1832. He held religious services in the cabin of Logan Thomas in the southwest part of the township, but no class was then organized.
ZION M. E. CHURCH
This was the first religious society to be organized in Adams township. Anthony Martin settled on the northwest
quarter of section 7 in 1831. He was a blacksmith and the first to ply that trade in the township. In 1833 he sold
his claim to James McClung and moved to Laporte. No records are accessible showing the details of the organization
of this church, but there is a cemetery (Grables) on the Martin McClung farm and burials were made here prior to
1833, these with the family and church relationships, shows, according to I. W. Kreider's investigations, that
a class was organized. in this neighborhood about 1835, composed of Benj. Enyart and wife, Silas Enyart, Thos.
Enyart, James McClung and wife, Rev. Ashabel Buck with members of the Hummer, Dague and other families not now
ascertainable. Meetings were held in private houses and later in a log school house located on the northwest quarter
of section 5, Adams township, until about 1846, when a, hewed log church was erected near the house above mentioned,
on land donated by Henry McHenry. This log meeting house served as a place of worship until 1888 when it was torn
down and the present frame building was erected at a cost of $1,800. The trustees in 1888 who erected the new church
were Wm. S. Finnimore, G. W. Wolford, D. N. Dague, Win. M. Preston and J. O. Winegardner.
TWELVE MILE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
To Elder Thos. Whitman the credit is due of sowing the first seed, which, under careful culture, germinated,
and in due time developed into the Twelve Mile Christian church.
TWELVE MILE CENTER M. E. CHURCH
For many years there were irregular church services held in the school house at Twelve Mile but no organization was ever formed until the year 1883, when the Rev. R. J. Smith held a series of meetings, arousing a great religious interest in that neighborhood and organized a class of forty members, at the schoolhouse in the village of Twelve Mile. Joshua Howell was class leader and Andrew Decker, Sunday school superintendent. Sunday school was maintained with irregular preaching for a number of years but a house of worship was never built as Twelve Mile was only a few miles distant from Zion and Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal churches. In 1891 this little congregation assisted the United Brethren people to erect their church at Twelve Mile and have blended with that organization and with the above named Methodist churches, so that the Twelve Mile Center Methodist Episcopal church organization no longer exists as a separate or independent class. Rev. R. J. Smith continued as pastor of this church and accomplished much in bringing many souls to Christ, and although the organization was abandoned yet his work greatly strengthened the other three churches into which the members of this congregation entered and became blended.
CORINTH BRETHREN IN CHRIST (PROGRESSIVE DUNKARDS)
This church is an outgrowth of the German Baptist, Brethren or Dunkard church at Mexico and eastern part of
Adams township and they are known as Progressive Brethren in Christ, as they do not adhere to some of the old customs
of the parent church, such as the special style of dress, music in the church, etc.
DUNKARD CHURCH (OLD GERMAN BAPTIST) CONSERVATIVES
The Mexico German Baptist church was organized at Mexico, Miami county, in 1881 by Wm. Fisher and Geo. Balsbaugh,
with the following list of charter members: Joseph Edward, John Kinzie, John Arnold, Wm. Fisher, Geo. Balsbaugh,
Eliza Miller, Lewis Fisher and Joseph Angle.
HOOVER'S METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
As early as 1887 Brother Fennel, a traveling minister, held meetings in the Hoover schoolhouse half a mile west
of the village of Hoover and organized a class of ten or twelve. A year later Rev. Butler took up the work and
held revival meetings which increased the membership of the class, but some of them inclined to the United Brethren
church and joined with others of that faith at Twelve Mile, leaving the Methodist class at Hoover weak and in a
state of suspended animation for several years. However, in 1902, Rev. Wm. Amoss held a series of meetings in Hoover
schoolhouse and reorganized the class, some of the members of which are: Mrs. Kizzia Lunsford, Mrs. Rose Wolf,
Mrs. B. E. Meadows, Mrs. Mollie Henry, E. Buskirk *** Laura Buskirk, Lawrence Buskirk, Mrs. Crook, Eliza Cox, D.
W. Doran, Ora Doran, Frances Doran, Bertha Doran and Myrtle Doran.
UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH (TWELVE MILE)
The first services held by this denomination in Adams township was at the house of Enos Butler in Sec. 19 and Rev. B. S. Clevinger was the first preacher. Later Rev. Levi Hoover and Jos. Terrell preached at irregular intervals in the Dudgeon schoolhouse at Twelve Mile This church was formally organized July 10, 1887, by the Rev. H. E. Butler, with a charter membership as follows: A. J. and Mary Decker, Geo. Leonard, Mrs. D. Conrad, Ida Decker, Effie Decker, Sarah Hoover, Mary A. Hoover, Cordelia Ward, J. B. Decker, Elizabeth Randolph.
Pastors - Rev. H. E. Butler, 1887-9; S. Snyder, 1889-91; J. W. Hindbaugh, 1891-2; G. W. Lambert, 1892-4; 0.
P. Kegg, 1894-5; J. Becket, 1895-6; G. L. Mattox, 1896-8; O. F. Landis, 1898-00; J. T. Keesey, 1900-03; J. N. Martin,
1903-04; J. Q. Kline, 1904-06; C. J. Miner, 1906-09; A. Cloud, 1909-10; R. G. Upson, 1910, present pastor.
CEMETERIES OF TOWNSHIP
This is probably the oldest burial ground in the township and is situated on the northwest quarter of section
7, about one and a half miles south of the Fulton county line and one-quarter of a mile east of the west line of
In the early forties James Reed donated ground for this cemetery, but deeds were never made until March 2, 1871,
when Noah Simmons, who then owned the surrounding farm, conveys to the trustees of the church, Allen Obenchain,
Richard Skinner and Isaac Newman, a piece of land 12x18 rods, in the northeast quarter section 22, for church and
burial purposes and on April 2, 1892, additions were made to the original plat.
For many years this was known as the Dillman graveyard, from the fact that Daniel Dillman was the owner of, and lived on the adjoining farm. Prior to this, however, Samuel Lowman, who had entered the land, laid out a burial ground in the early thirties and it has been used for burial purposes ever since, but, like most of the early cemeteries, deeds were never made or recorded; until June 10, 1890, when S. F. Dillman, son of D. Dillman, conveys one and a half acres of land in the southeast quarter of section 28 to David Young, S. McLain and D. Hopkins, trustees of Corinth Brethren in Christ church (Progressive Dunkards), (Rec. 47, p. 519). This organization erected a church soon after and controls the management of the adjoining cemetery, which was included in the above conveyance. The ground is platted but not recorded. First burials were: An infant of Henry L. Thomas, 1833; a child of John Simons, 1833; a son of Miner Alley, 1833; four children of Mr. Wilson prior to 1840; Sarah, wife of Wm. heel, 1846; Elizabeth, daughter of D. Dillman, 1845. Soldiers - Levi Elmsford, Co. F, Forty-first Ind., died November 13, 1884; Jos. A. Spencer, Co. G, One Hundred Fifty-first Ind., died November 16, 1902.
MOUNT CARMEL CEMETERY
On July 6, 1891, I. W. Egman conveys one acre of ground to the trustees of Twelve Mile U. B. church, situated in the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of section 20, Adams township. The ground was platted but not recorded. The following year a church was erected but recently was removed to the town of Twelve Mile, but the trustees of the church have the management of the burial ground. The first interment was Wallace Snuffin, March 7, 1888. Soldiers - Frank Somers, Co. F, Seventy-third Ind., died December 10, 1905; Samuel Arthurholtz, Co. F, Seventy third Ind., died July 28, 1903; Wallace Snuffin, Ohio Reg.; Levi F. Bixler, Mich. Reg., died 1900; Geo. W. Wolford, Co. A, Eighth Ind. Cavly., died 1903.
JACK CONNER TOMB
This unique tomb is situated about a mile east of Hoover's crossing and south of the railroad a short distance in a beautiful walnut grove on a knoll surrounded on three sides by a ravine fifty feet deep. The ground was enclosed by a picket wire fence about forty feet square, but the fence has fallen into decay. John Conner was an eccentric Indian trader, the first settler in Adams township, locating here in 1828. He died August 20, 1846, and prior to death gave directions that his coffin be placed in a box, filled with tar and left setting on blocks above ground. His directions were carried out and the box thus prepared was left setting in the open air in that beautiful walnut grove where it has peacefully reposed for over sixty-six years. A few years later the neighbors complained and a stone vault was built over the box and coffin containing the remains, a photograph of which appears on another page, showing the appearance of this interesting tomb as it exists today, and his cabin a short distance across the ravine. His wife Elizabeth, who died March 1, 1849, lies buried here; also John Payne, 1846; three children of a Mr. Snell, 1851 to 1855; Elijah Conner, June 5, 1848, and Ms infant in 1840 and a child of John Hoover, 1853. Mrs. Mary M. Harp, whose maiden name was Dillman, now a resident of Logansport, attended this funeral and relates many interesting anecdotes of this most unique character in pioneer days and incidents connected with this most remarkable burial.
OLD TOWN INDIAN BURIAL GROUND
Is situated on the north bank of Eel river and west of the mouth of Twelve Mile creek on what is known as Little Charles Reserve. In the early settlement of the county, from 1825 to 1840, there was an Indian village extending for three miles along the river from a mile above Adamsboro, eastward. At about the location above described, there was a burial ground and residents in that locality have dug up Indian skeletons in gravel pits along the banks of the creek, but no exact spot or burial ground can now be located, as Indians more often laid their dead in hollow logs or trees or in the side of some cliff or hill. This ground was also the scene of General Wilkinson's engagement with the Indians in 1791, mentioned elsewhere, and a number of Indians and two soldiers were killed and buried here.
[Return to Adams Township History.]