DEER CREEK TOWNSHIP
Deer Creek township is located in the extreme south part of the county, and comprises thirty six square miles,
situated in Congressional township No. 25, Ranges 1 and 2 East. It is bounded on the north by Washington and Tipton
townships, on the east by Jackson township, on the south by Howard and on the west by Carroll county. It received
its name from "Deer creek," the principal water course, running through the township. The latter derived
its name from the fact that in early times, vast herds of wild deer frequented the banks of this creek. This is
a good sized creek, rising almost to the dignity of a river, which runs from east to west through the entire township
near its center, flowing on through Carroll county into the Wabash river. Little Deer creek is a smaller stream
running through the extreme southern part of the township, and Jordan's Run is a small creek between the two former.
Numerous other small branches emptying into Deer creek thoroughly drain the township and afford abundant stock
water, and Deer creek furnished water power to run numerous mills that lined its banks in the early days. Along
the banks of the creeks the surface is undulating and hilly, but back from the water courses the land is quite
level, and originally covered with dense forest of heavy timber, the leading varieties being oak, ash, poplar,
walnut, beech, maple and elm. The land along the creeks abounds in a black loam, which for fertility is not surpassed
by any other part of the county.
EARLY HISTORY AND SETTLEMENT
This township was included within the great Miami Indian reservation, which was not purchased from the Indians
for many years after other portions of the county were settled, hence it was not opened to settlement until about
1839, when Noah Fouts built the first cabin in the township on Section 19, and became one of the leading citizens
of the community, where he continued to reside until his death, leaving descendants who still occupy the first
improved farm in Deer creek.
The same year, Joseph Neff, who came from Wayne county, settled just east of Mr. Fouts, in section 20. De also
became a permanent resident and his sons, J. H. Neff, Drs. J. N. and Jacob Neff, are prominent citizens of Logansport.
The next settlers were probably Johnson Reagan, who located on Section 19; Samuel Etter, brother in law of Fonts,
in Section 13; Joshua Coshow, in the southwest quarter of Section 36, and Wm. Buchanan, in the same section. In
1841 Wm. Dunkin located on Section 25, where he resided until his death a few years ago. Daniel and Jacob Shelly,
great hunters, located in Section 14, in 1841.
John McIlwain and his brother, Oliver, settled on Section 23 in 1841 or 1842. In 1843 a number of pioneers came,
locating in different parts of the township; John N. Poundstone in Section 31; Robert Coat in Section 30, on land
since owned by the notorious William and Amer Green; James Roach in Section 32; Alexander Murphy in Section 34;
A. F. Coin in Section 31; Daniel and Lewis Hyman, south of Deer creek; David Lee in Section 17; George W. and Jackson
Harness in Sections 33 and 34; Barrett Wilson near Young America, and J. W. Burrows in Section 15.
The next two or three years many permanent settlers located in various sections of the township, who became well
known and influential citizens, among whom were John Payton, James Logan, James Smith, Wm. Hall, Wm. Holland, Benjamin
Hoover, Thomas Vaughn, David and Isaac Pemberton, James Stanley, Benjamin Dunkin, Henry Jones, Samuel Wallace,
Lewis Isley, John Davis, Win. Smith, George Wilson, John Jones, Benjamin Jones, Joseph Cornell, ____ Simmons, S.
B. Morrow, Simeon Wilsee, Henry Doran, Robert Campbell, Jacob Elder, George Campbell, Elijah Burnett, Geo. Mowdy,
John Hampshire, John E. Miller, Geo. Ewing, Peter Sence and Robert Miller.
The township was organized July 26, 1842, and derived its name from Deer Creek, which flows through it. The
first election was held at the cabin of William Holland. John McIlwain was elected township trustee and John Grist,
justice of the peace.
This is pre-eminently an agricultural district, and nowhere in the county or state can more fertile or better
agricultural lands he found, yet in clearing the forests, numerous mills were built, and the water power of its
creeks was harnessed to saw the timber and grind the grain of the pioneer. The first mill in the township was erected
by David Fisher in 1844. It stood on Deer creek in Section 21. It was a sawmill, with an old fashioned undershot
water wheel, did a big business, and was a great convenience to the early settlers, because of the long distance
from Logansport and the impassable condition of the roads at that time. In 1854 John Studebaker purchased this
mill. In 1865 Geiser and Clay bought it and later fell into the hands of Joseph Bowman, who ran it until 1878,
when it was abandoned.
Soon after, the erection of the saw mill, a flouring mill was built adjoining it. This was a three story frame
structure, and supplied the farmers with flour and meal, in all that region for many years, but, as the country
became drained, the water ran off. quickly, the power was not constant, this; with the newer processes and centralization
of effort, made possible also by improved roads, caused all the little water power mills to be abandoned.
A distillery was built in a round log cabin on Deer creek about 1844, consisting of one small copper coil, and
operated by James Roach. It turned out a fair article of "red eye," which was eagerly sought by some
of the pioneers, but the demand was not great, and Mr. Roach soon turned his attention to other pursuits more profitable
as well as more respectable.
In 1850 a Mr. Wallace started a small distillery about a mile south of the Studebaker mill, but the demand for
"tangle foot" was not great, and he soon closed up his still house.
About this time Johnson Reagan started a tannery near Young America to make leather for the pioneers, and did a
fair business for a few years, but finally ceased operations and all vestiges of this industry has long since disappeared.
After roads were improved and railroads constructed, steam saw mills made their appearance in different parts of
the township. The largest of these was that of John Sprinkle, in. Section 2, which was operated for many years
and until the timber was about all gone, when the saw mills were closed for want of material.
Perhaps the first steam saw mill in the township was erected at Young America by Thomas Henry, in 1855, and there
has been a steam saw mill at this place ever since, operated by different parties.
The first tile factory in the township was built by Lewis Turner in the seventies. Robert Burket and James Umbarger
were also engaged in the manufacture of tile many years ago, but have all ceased operations.
Deer Creek is the only township in the county through which a railroad does not extend. Probably this fact had
something to do with the improving of the wagon roads to give an outlet for the products of the farm to the railroads.
The first regularly established road through the township was the Delphi and Marion, which was surveyed before
the land was opened to settlement, in the early forties. It passes through the center of the township from east
to west just south of Deer creek. It was in the early settlement of the country an important thoroughfare, and
is still quite extensively traveled. From the old Indian trail, along which the pioneers gained access to Deer
creek, to the modern graveled and stone road, there is quite a contrast.
Then you wound your way around trees, through marshes, and across bridgeless creeks and rivers, in mud and water.
Today there is a highway on nearly every section line, with three lines of gravel roads extending both north and
south, and east and west, through the township, and a stone road along the entire north line, with many other minor
cross roads graveled. The hills and bluffs along the creek contain an abundant supply of gravel, easy of access,
with which to improve the roads, and as the. township has no railroads, gravel largely supplants stone as a road
material. Walton, Lincoln and Galveston on the east are the nearest railroad stations, which, however, give a.
convenient and ready market to the large yield of all kinds of agricultural products. Over these smooth, solid
roads the automobile or carriage can travel at a rapid gait every day in the year.
A drive over the graveled or stone roads of Deer Creek township, one sees today the finest improved farms, large
modern houses and barns, neatly painted, instead of round log buildings of pioneer days. The smooth, well cultivated
fields enclosed with woven wire fence and cement posts in contrast with fields covered with beech stumps and old
rail fence of seventy five years ago. The farmer of today harnesses the wind to do his work, or a gasoline engine
pumps his water, churns his butter and performs many other laborious duties, in salient contrast with the methods
of the early settlers of Deer Creek township.
A gain, the farmer of today can sit in his home, ten miles from town, telephone to the city for a doctor, or order
goods from grocer or other merchant, and have it delivered at his door the next day by parcel post and free rural
mail delivery, instead of spending a whole day to make the trip over mud and corduroy roads of eighty years ago.
[Churches were at this place in the history.]
Fouts, now known as the U. B. Church cemetery, is the oldest burial ground in the township, and was used for
burial purposes long before any deeds were executed. November 4, 1856, Solomon Fouts deeded one acre of land in
section 19 to the trustee of Deer Creek township, as a burial ground, but the land was donated and laid out by
Noah Fouts many years before.
On July 20, 1886, H. N. Miller, as trustee of Deer Creek township, conveyed the above described grounds to the
trustees of the United Brethren church. July 6, 1901, Jasper Fouts deeded to the trustees of the United Brethren
church 27 feet by 39 rods adjoining the old Fouts burial ground, for a consideration of $100. July 16, 1901, Lewis
Hyman deeded to the trustees of the Center United Brethren church a strip of ground 27 feet by 39 rods, adjoining
the above, for a consideration of $75.
October 18, 1904, Noah Fouts, of the Indian Territory, conveyed a piece of land 80x344 feet, adjoining the old
Fouts cemetery, in section 19, to the trustees of the United Brethren church, viz.: Wm. Hubler, Chas. H. Butts,
W. R. Wills, John Burrows and C. L. Logan.
September 20, 1886, John Burrows, A. Ridenour, I. G. Gish, O. L. Logan and Lewis Hyman, as trustees, made a plat
of the new part of this cemetery, and recorded the same. About this time a church was erected adjoining this burial
ground. This is a large cemetery. The new part is well laid out and fairly well kept. The first interment in the
old Fouts graveyard was Zadock Reagan, November 15, 1840, aged fifty one. John Grist and his wife. Other early
burials were Nancy Reagan, 1842; Noah Fouts, March 1, 1845, and his wife, 1846.
Soldiers - Benj. F. Carmin, Company B, 46th Indiana, died July 4, 1863; Samuel R. Coin, Company K, 128th Indiana,
d. February 2, 1894; Christian Kries, Company H, 59th Indiana, d. September 19, 1906.
On April 11, 1868, Benjamin Hoover deeded one acre of land in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter,
section 20, to Deer Creek township, for a public burial ground, and to build a union meeting house. The meeting
house, however, was never built. This burial ground is still in the name of Deer Creek township, but joins the
Dunkard cemetery, and is controlled by that church. This is an old burial ground, finely located on the north bank
of Deer creek, and interments were made here many years before deeds were executed. We copy some of the earliest
burials from the grave markers: Samuel Miller, died October 11, 1845; Jacob, son of B. and M. Hoover, 1846. It
is reported earlier burials were made, but if so the graves are unmarked.
Enoch Brumbaugh, murdered by Bill Green in 1885, is buried here, also Daniel and George Studebaker, who committed
suicide some years ago.
Soldiers: Ephraim M. Parkins, died 1880; Elihu See, Company B, 46th Indiana, d. at Lexington. Kentucky. 1865; Jacob
See, d. 1895; John K. Hoover, Company K, 9th Indiana, d. 1862; Levi Hoover, 46th Indiana, d. 1862; Daniel Tolen,
Company D, 46th Indiana, d. 1906.
GERMAN BAPTIST OR DUNKARD CEMETERY
William Snyder, Sr., on March 26, 1886, deeded one acre of land in the northwest quarter of section 20, to Deer
Creek township, for a burial ground and when it ceases to be used for that purpose it reverts to the adjoining
farm. May 11, 1889, H. N. Miller, as trustee, deeded the above tract of land to the German Baptist cemetery of
Cass county. This burial ground is located on the west side of the Hoover cemetery and only separated from it by
a driveway and hitch rack. It is beautifully situated, and nicely laid out, with lot markers.
The first burials as indicated by dates on the markers are: Franklin, son of A. and J. Smith, August 11, 1875;
William Burrows, April 15, 1866; Amos Smith, February 28, 1879.
No soldiers are buried here at this date. The Hoover cemetery joining this on the east is also controlled by the
German Baptist church, which is about two miles to the southeast on the south side of Deer creek.
John E. Miller, father of H. N. Miller, laid out a burial ground on his farm in the southwest quarter, section
5, Deer creek, township about 1853. It was managed by Mr. Miller until his death,' and since by his son, H. N.
Miller. In 1862 the ground was platted and managed as a private cemetery, but on January 10, 1905, H. N. Miller
deeded 2.25 acres, including the cemetery, to three trustees, viz: D. C. Kitchell, L. F. Bird and Irwin Gard, for
cemetery purposes. This cemetery is well located, on a beautiful knoll or elevation that rises out of the level
farm land by which it is surrounded, and is an ideal burial place. It rises out of the level field like a New Mexico
mesa, or like an elevation of the Mound Builders. It is surrounded by a row of trees with just enough evergreen
trees within to make it attractive. It is quite a large cemetery, with some handsome monuments. It is about forty
rods west of the wagon road, running south through Deacon, with a driveway leading to it. There is a chapel house
surrounded by a large hitch rack to accommodate friends.
The first burial was Catherine, daughter of D. and N. Miller, April 3, 1853; Margaret, wife of George Boyer, 1854;
Samuel Dickey, 1854; Alfred Guy, 1815-1892.
Soldiers: Charles B. Faucett, 46th Indiana.; J. M. Armstrong Company E, 155th Indiana; Josiah Dickey, Company D.
46th Indiana; R. R. Davidson, lieutenant, Company C, 35th Ohio; William M. Vernon, lieutenant, Company K, 118th
Indiana.; Wesley Cornell, Company D, 39th Indiana; D. D. Lennon, Company B, 46th Indiana; Daniel Hale, War of 1812,
died age 83; William H. Campbell, 128th Indiana; J. N. Munson, Company C, 36th Ohio; Lewis Addington, Company B.
This is a neat little burial ground, enclosed with a wire fence and fairly well kept, with a few good monuments.
George W. Harness, Sr., donated the ground more than fifty years ago but never executed a deed of record until
May 2, 1906, when George W. Harness, Sr., of Howard county, Indiana, deeded a piece of ground 108x147 feet on the
north line of the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter, section 34, Deer Creek township, and west of the
schoolhouse lot, to his sons, George W. Harness, Jr., and Russel Harness and their heirs, to be maintained as a
burial place for the dead now interred or to be hereafter interred therein. This conveyance was made with the restriction
that no part of it shall be used for any other purpose than a burial ground.
First interment was Harriat Harness, April 3, 1855; Ida Florence Harness, 1859; infant of George W. Habne, 1853.
JOHN DAVIS PRIVATE BURIAL PLACE
This burial ground is located on the old John Davis farm in the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter,
section 4, just east of Deacon. On this ground was buried a number of persons in the forties and fifties, some
of whom were afterwards removed, others were left in their original resting places and the ground is now farmed
over and all vestiges of a burial ground has disappeared, but the occupants of those unmarked graves rest as peacefully
as though they had flaming monuments at their head or lay within the sound of great cathedral church bells.
Among those buried here were: Benjamin Moon, about 1850; Jane Davis, daughter of John Davis, about 1850; Hamilton
Dorn, about 1851; Matilda Cornell, about 1852; infant of Mr. Etter, about 1853.
SALEM LOG CHURCH CEMETERY
Salem Log church was the first meeting house built in the township, about 1852, on the southwest corner of the
northwest quarter of section 10. Beside this primitive church a number of burials were made. The church was removed
nearly forty years ago, but here in the corner of a field the writer, in 1907, found two marble slabs; one had
the following inscription: Ada, wife of D. Hale, died December 7, 1851, age 48. On the other stone only the word
"Infant" could be deciphered, the remainder of the inscription was defaced by the ravages of time and
the elements. The spirits, however, the eternal and indestructible, that once inhabited these shells of clay, are
shining brighter and brighter as time progresses, unconscious, unmindful and not disturbed by the smoldering shell
or the crumbling marker of their secluded and forgotten graves, covered over with weeds and rubbish. There were
also a few other unmarked graves at this place.
Daniel Dale sold this tract of land to James Campbell and the latter on October 5, 1859, deeded the same to John
D. De Haven and excepted or reserved a lot 8x15 rods, including the site of this burial ground and the old log
Salem church, as long as used for such purposes, otherwise to revert to the adjoining farm.
Many a pioneer's grave's unmarked, as you can plainly see, But little he cares for worldly show, when out on the
unknown sea. To the brave pioneer of long ago, we bow with reverent head, All hail to you that were so true, while
living but now are dead.
MASONIC CEMETERY AT YOUNG AMERICA
March 19, 1887, the Masonic Lodge of Young America, for the sum of $200, purchased 2.67 acres of land from Samuel
J. Beck, situated about a quarter of a mile south of Young America, in the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter,
section 31. August 2, 1888, Samuel Beck and W E Lybrook, as trustees, file a plat of the above grounds.
This cemetery is finely located on raised ground and well laid out. It is a new cemetery, and has but few interments,
but is neatly kept.
First burials were Charles D. Parker, 1889, and Metella V. Rice, 1889: William II., son of J. G. and M. P. Johnson,
May 7, 1864, was evidently a removal; James Becker, suicidal, 1907. Soldiers buried here are: Calvin McCracken,
Company I, 118th Indiana, died 1903; James Becker, 1907.
Doctors are, as a rule, better and more widely known than any class of our people, and have helped to make history,
at least they have to do with the beginning and end of man here below, and history would not be complete without
reference to the physicians, and we will make brief mention of them in alphabetical order: Dr. Albright lived and
practiced medicine in Young America during the sixties, and in 1869 moved to Galveston and entered into a partnership
with Dr. J. C. Loop, but in the following year left, and has been lost to our informant.
Dr. N. Brown was located in practice at Young America for some time, about 1885-6. He moved to Flora, Indiana,
where it is reported he still lives.
Dr. Z. W. Bryant was a. resident of Young America for a few years in tinies past, but his whereabouts is now unknown.
Dr. John Cooper was the first physician to locate in Young America in 1867. He erected a business house on Main
street and opened the first drugstore. He was a licentiate of the Cincinnati Eclectic Institute, 1867. In 1872
or 1873 he moved to Des Moines, Iowa, and later to Dakota. He married Laodiska Daggett, of Galveston, Indiana,
and had one son, Butler.
Dr. I. A. Cooper practiced in Young America for a time prior to 1878. He moved to Kokomo and died there. He was
married to Mary Jane Dunkin of Cass county, and had two children, Asa and Albert.
Dr. Wm. Cooper was a graduate of the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College, 1867, practiced medicine in Young America,
during the seventies, and moved to Kokomo, where it is reported he still lives (1910).
Dr. Andrew J. Gray, born in Cass county, in 1854, educated at Valparaiso Normal School, and graduated from the
Indiana Medical College, 1897. Practiced at North Grove, Indiana, and in 1890 located in Young America, where he
is now engaged in active practice. He served as trustee of Deer Creek township, 1900-04, and as county commissioner,
1909-12. He has been twice married.
Dr. Wm. Johnson lived and practiced medicine in Young America from about 1873 to 1876. He moved to Missouri, and
died there some years ago.
Dr. Wm. E. Lybrook, born in Union county, Indiana, February 15, 1850, came with his parents to Cass county in 1854,
where he has continued to reside to the present time. He graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1879
and at once began the practice of his chosen profession at Young America, where he is still in active practice,
having recently formed a partnership with his son.
Dr. Daniel E. Lybrook was born in Young America in 1885, graduated from the Indiana Medical College in 1910, and
at once engaged in practice with his father. Dr. Wm. E. Lybrook served as township trustee, and was postmaster
under Cleveland's first administration, 1885.
Dr. Geo. D. Marshall is a native of Cass county, where he was horn, 1872. He graduated from the Central College
of Physicians and Surgeons, Indianapolis, 1904, and at once located in Young America, but in 1908, desiring a wider
field, he moved to Kokomo, where he is now engaged in practice.
Dr. Wm. Newlin practiced in Young America for a time during the 'seventies, then moved, and it is reported that
he is now at New London, Indiana.
Dr. Charles D. Parks was born in Carroll county, Indiana, December 28, 1856, attended Hall's Business College in
Logansport, and the Northern Indiana Normal School, read medicine with Dr. Powell, of Rockfield, Indiana, graduated
from Rush Medical College, 1880, and practiced at Young America for many years. He is now dead. He was married
to Sara. Henry, of Cass county, and left several children.
Dr. Eli Rice was engaged in practice at Young America for a time, many years ago. He moved to Chenoa, Kansas, where
he now resides.
Dr. Wm. Scholes was engaged in practice in Young America for several years during the 'eighties. He moved to Canada,
where he is still engaged in professional work.
Dr. T. C. Tucker was located in Young America from about 1880 to 1885. He moved to Douglass, Kansas, where he died
many years ago. He was married and had several children.
The following physicians have practiced at different times in Young America, showing that that town has great attractions
for the doctors: Drs. Cyrus Pickett, John J. Pickett, Mac Burns, D. C. Barnett, Allen D. Strode and a Dr. Price.
Deer Creek was not opened up for settlement for ten years after some of the townships, and the schools were
correspondingly late in being established. The first school house in this township was a primitive affair that
stood in section 19, on what was known as the Hyman farm. This was the usual type of round log house, the cracks
filled up with chinks and mud, clapboard roof, puncheon floor, and heated with a fireplace, with stick and mud
chimney This pioneer temple of learning was erected in the fall of 1840, and the first teacher therein was Josiah
Brown, but of his characteristics we are unable to give any information, but no doubt he was master of the three
Rs, "Reading," "Biting" and "Rithmetic," which constituted the curriculum of the
primitive schools in all the townships. The second teacher was Milton Jarrett.
The second school building was more pretentious. It was made of hewed logs and stood in section 23, or near the
edge of section 22, on the Holland place. This school house was occupied for many years, before it gave way to
a modern building. While the schools of this township were late in opening, because the township was not thrown
open to settlement, yet it very rapidly developed and schools were soon started in different neighborhoods to accommodate
the rapidly increasing population and when the new constitution of 1852 became effective, and under it, the public
schools were fully established there were six schools in the township, and in later years there were ten schools,
but in 1906 one school was abandoned. No. 8, situated on the southwest corner of section 28, and its pupils are
hauled to No. 7, at a daily cost of $2.20 per day, and the results are reported to be eminently satisfactory, being
both better and cheaper. There are now nine school buildings in the township, including the high school at Young
America, all built of brick. No. 1, located on the northwest corner of section 11, was erected in 1903; No. 2,
built in 1885, at Deacon; No. 3, built in 1876, near Pleasant Valley Universalist church, in section 6; No. 4,
situated on the southwest corner of section 18, erected in 1890; No. 5, or Center school, built in 1898 on the
northwest corner of section 21; No. 6, erected in 1878, on the southwest corner of section 14; the Harness school
house, No. 7, built in 1888, on the northeast corner of section 34, and the Young America school, erected in 1879,
consisting of six assembly rooms, including the high school, which was established many years ago, where at this
time 43 students are taking the high school course, taught by A. E. Bond as principal, with two assistants. The
Young America high school building is crowded, and to accommodate the increasing numbers they are arranging to
erect a new high school next year to cost $30,000. The present value of school property in Deer Creek township
is about $26,000. Number of pupils, 349; number of teachers, fourteen.
Deer Creek is thus provided with a complete system of public schools, including all grades from the primary up
to and through the high school. While the high school is not commissioned, yet the character of their work is equal
to any commissioned school in the county, is a great convenience to the people, to have a high school near home,
and Deer Creek citizens may feel justly proud of their excellent schools of today, in contrast with the first round
log school house of seventy three years ago.
The following is a list of township trustees from 1865 to 1913: George W. Lenon, 1865; Poindexter Toney, 1871;
W. S. Toney, 1876; Samuel Gray, 1878; Thomas Henry, 1882; Wm. E. Lybrook, 1884; H. N. Miller, 1886; W. E. Lybrook,
1890; Thomas Flynn, 1894; A. J. Gray, 1900; James W. Cree, 1904; Samuel Hursh, 1908 to 1914.
TOWNS AND POSTOFFICES
Before the coming of the white man, there was an Indian village on Deer creek in the eastern part of the township.
It was an ideal place for the rendezvous of the red man. The creek affording an abundant water supply; the dense
forest, covering the land, gave protection to deer and other game and Deer creek was in reality a happy hunting
ground of the Indian. There was also an Indian camping ground near Young America.
was simply a postoffice, established over thirty years ago, at the Christian church in the southeast corner
of the township on the Howard county line, but was discontinued many years since.
This is a small village, never regularly laid out, consisting of a dozen residences, and a school house, a general
store, blacksmith shop, etc., located in the northern part of the township. It received its name from William R,
Deacon, its oldest and most prominent resident, who was its first postmaster and merchant, but now retired. There
was a postoffice here for many years, but the free rural mail service has replaced the country postoffice in recent
This is an enterprising town, located in the southwest corner of the township, within half a mile of the Howard
county line and thirteen miles nearly due south of Logansport,
It had its beginning about 1855, when Thomas Henry came to this location, then a dense forest, cleared out a space
of two acres on which to erect a saw mill, With log wagons and ox teams, he hauled, from Logansport, an engine
and boiler, over mud and corduroy roads, and set up the first steam saw mill south of Deer creek, It was a novelty
to see a steam boiler in these dense woods, and some one in a spirit of a joke, with a piece of chalk, wrote on
the boiler: "Young America," indicating enterprise, and Mr. Henry named the place "Young America."
Around this saw mill grew up a settlement winch developed into the present beautiful village, The first settlers
on the town site were Thomas Henry, Laben Thomas, Randolph Coin, Robert Hunter, Dr. Johnson and James Roach, A
plat of the town was first made by Laben Thomas, December 30, 1863, when he laid out ten lots and made an addition
November 9, 1867. Other additions were platted as follows: Lewis Hyman, June 13, 1873; Solomon Fouts, June 10,
1876; Theodore E. Brumbaugh, September 8, 1888; S. J. Beek, March 15, 1889, and John W. Cost addition in the '90s,
After the platting of the towns, James Ginn was the first to erect a house on Main street and J. H, Whitesides
on the corner.
The first business man was S. R. Coin, who erected a store building on lot 2, original plat, in which he kept a
general stock of goods for many years. He was succeeded by Cyrus Neff, who subsequently entered into a partnership
with Laben Thomas which lasted for some years, when George W. Hunter bought them out, and continued the business
until about 1867, The second business house was erected on lot 3, Main street, by James G. Johnson, about 1865,
who continued in business for many years, and is still an honored citizen of the town, but retired from active
duties, being now over eighty years of age, When the postoffice was first established at Young America, about 1870,
Mr. Johnson was appointed its first postmaster and served in that capacity for many years.
In 1870 Hiram Pickett erected the first hotel, a substantial brick structure, which is still standing,
Thomas Roush erected a two story building on the corner of Main and Roush streets and J. G. Johnson erected the
second two story brick building on the opposite corner,
The first mechanics in the town were: Robert Hunter, carpenter, John Etter and Edward Marshall, blacksmiths, and
Edward Montgomery, shoemaker, The first doctor and druggist was John Cooper, The first saw mill was operated by
Thomas Henry before the town was laid out, The first steam grist mill was opened in 1874, by B. F, Rhodes and Leander
Today Young America is represented by all kinds of mercantile business, towit:
Adis Wirick and David A. Staly, general stores; Robert Hunter, harness and buggies; Jud Wernick, postmaster and
deals in notions; Reid Weikle, livery stable; John W. Cost, druggist and notions; Shanklin Brothers, hardware and
agricultural implements; Reid Thurman, restaurant; Cell. Williams, hotel keeper; Soren Jacobson, flour mill; John
H Bridge, saw and planing mill; John Zook, meat market; Jacob Heinmiller, undertaker, with barber shops, blacksmith
and repair shops and all the necessary business interests of a city.
Drs, Andrew J. Gray, William E. Lybrook and his son, D. E. Lybrook, look after the health of the town. Its educational,
spiritual and fraternal interests are conserved by a commodious high school, three churches and several lodges,
all of which are noticed elsewhere. Young America. has a population of about three hundred and fifty, and is the
only town of any size in the county to which a railroad or interurban does not extend; and the only town not on
a railroad that has a postoffice, all the other offices have been superseded by rural mail delivery, and the mail
to this office comes from Galveston, nine miles distant, by the rural mail carrier. It is to be hoped that in the
near future, this prosperous little town, with its paved streets, cement sidewalks, in the midst of the finest
farming district in the county, will be connected with the county seat by an interurban line, It has, however,
a telephone exchange instituted about ten years ago, through which it can reach the outside world and by the numerous
automobiles, time and space can be annihilated, so to speak.
This enterprising little village is not lagging behind and a company is now organized and arrangements are being
made to erect a large canning factory this summer to put up and preserve the prolific crop of vegetables that grow
on the fertile fields around the town.
LODGES AND ORDERS
Young America Free Mason Lodge No, 534 was organized March 4, 1876, with ten charter members, The first officers
were: John L. Pickett, W. M.; Levi Campbell, S. M.; George W. Cantor, J. W.; William Kemp, secretary; E. J. Marshall,
treasurer; S. J. Beck, S. D.; Samuel G. Butcher, J. D.; Martin McCrackin, G. The present membership is one hundred
and three. The chief officers at this time are:
George Ulerich, W. M.; Edward Lybrook, S. W.; and J. W. Beek, secretary,
Young America Chapter No: 191, Eastern Star, was organized in 1895, with twenty charter members, The chief officers
at that time were: S. J. Beek, patron, and Mrs, May Gard, matron. Today the chief officers are: John M. Beek, W.
P.; Many Hunter, W. M.; and May Gard, secretary, Present membership seventy four.
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS
Helmet Lodge, No. 346, K. of P., was instituted June 8, 1892, with twenty four charter members, The first chief
officers were: Ross A, Montgomery, C. C.; Carl Zook, V. C. C.; and C. E. Mummert, K. R. & S. The present membership
is one hundred and eighty five,
There is also a lodge of Pythian Sisters, organized several years ago.
Young America Lodge, No. 243, I. O. O. F., was instituted August 25, 1865, and worked under a dispensation until
March 20, 1873, at which time a charter was granted and the lodge fully organized with John Cooper, B. M. Dunkin,
D. M. Butcher, W. H, Kessler, and F. Dagget as charter members.
The chief officers at present are: Ora Mack, N, G.; William Barber, V. G.; and William Hubler, secretary and treasurer.
Present membership seventy five,
FRIENDSHIP REBEKAH LODGE No. 504
was instituted in February, 1890, The present chief officers are: Mrs, Flora Williamson, N. G.; Eva McMannama,
V. G.; and Edna McClosky, F. & R, secretary.
ANCIENT ORDER OF GLEANERS
Young America Arbor, No, 119, Ancient Order of Gleaners, was organized June 12, 1906.
HALLS AND LODGE ROOMS
The Odd Fellows erected a commodious hall in 1872, which they still occupy.
The Masonic Hall, a substantial two story brick structure, was built in 1895, the upper story of which is occupied
as a lodge room.
The K. of P. erected in 1900, a two story brick building, representing a capital of over $3,000, the second story
of which forms the Pythian Castle.
Grange Banner Lodge, No, 964, Patrons of Husbandry, was organized in a schoolhouse in the northern part of the
township, February 4, 1874, We understand that a hall was erected at Deacon about 1886, and that meetings were
regularly held to advance the interests of the rural population and for social intercourse, The order has long
since suspended operations.
First white child born in Deer Creek township was a daughter to Z. Reagan and wife, in 1841, and about the same
time was born Josiah Neff, son of Joseph Neff and wife.
The first death which occurred was that of Z. Reagan in 1840, and interment was made in the Fouts graveyard.
Deer Creek has witnessed some exciting incidents in the shape of murders and attempted murders, In 1877 Abraham
Johnson, while on business a short distance from Young America, his home, was accosted on the road by three men,
who struck and knocked him down, and thinking he was dead concealed his body in a hollow log, When he regained
consciousness, several hours thereafter, he extricated himself and crawled to a nearby house and was cared for
and taken home, where he hovered between life and death for some time, but finally recovered, The culprits were
evidently bent on robbery. They were never apprehended, and the mystery has remained unsolved.
During the year 1880, Young America was thrown into a state of intense excitement by the murder of Enos Brumbaugh
by William Green. There was no cause for the murder, except intoxicating liquors, which filled the murderer and
made an otherwise peaceable man a foul criminal, who pursued his victim and shot him down. Green fled and was in
hiding for several years, His brother, Amer Green, when under the influence of liquor, told Luella Mabbit, a young
woman living over in Carroll county, where William Green was living. When sober he regretted his exposure of his
brother's whereabouts, and brutally murdered the Mabbit girl, lest she should give the knowledge of his brother's
abode to the officers.
He fled to his brother in Texas, Buck Stanley gained a knowledge of their hiding place in Texas, arrested them
and brought them back to Delphi, where William Green was taken out of the jail and hung by a mob, and Amer was
tried, convicted and sent to prison for life, but in 1912, being in failing health, Governor Marshall pardoned
him out, and he is now living a quiet and better life, it is said, free from the blighting influence of liquor.
The biographical sketches of the following well known and representative citizens of Deer Creek, who helped
to develop and make the history of the township, many of whom have passed over the dark river, may be found in
Helm's history, published in 1886, and will not be reproduced here, but simply a reference made where these sketches
can be found:
Andrew Caldwell, Theodore E. Brumbaugh, Samuel R, Coin, Joseph B. Cornell, John W. Cost, Nic, M. Davis, Benjamin
M. Dunkin, John Garver, Samuel Garver, George W. Harness, Thomas Henry, Robert Hunter, David D. Lennon, Dr, W.
E. Lybrook, John H, Bridge, Joseph Burrows, Daniel Clingenpeel, Benj. D. Cornell, Jacob Cripe, William Dunkin,
Malinda A. Farlow, William Garver, John Hampshire, John Hendrixson, George W. Hubler, Ezra Kahl, Daniel Lybrook,
Newton J. Martin, H, N. Miller, Frank Plank, George W. Poundstone, Dr, L. A. Simmon, Peter Tolan, Dr, Charles D.
Parks, John N, Poundstone, Joseph Shanks, John Sprinkle, William S. Toney.