Washington township lies immediately south of the city of Logansport and the Wabash river, in congressional
townships 26 and 27 north, ranges 1 and 2 east. It is bounded on the north by the city of Logansport and the Wabash
river, on the east by Tipton township, on the south by Deer Creek township, and on the west by Carroll county and
Clinton township and embraces an area of about thirty seven square miles.
The central and southern portions of the township are drained by Big Rock Creek, the north and south fork of the
same and subsidiary branches, which flow in a westerly course and empty into Deer Creek in Carroll county. Prairie
branch in the northwest corner and Minnow creek in the northeast part, drain those sections into the Wabash river,
but all of these water courses are of small size and not as large as the creeks in other townships, and not of
sufficient size to afford water power for the operation of mills, although one or two mills were built on Minnow
creek in early times.
The northern part of the township is rolling and somewhat hilly, and in the northwest corner near the city, lime
stone outcrops and has been used for commercial purposes.
The central and southern sections of the township are quite level and flat, so much so that water would stand over
large areas after heavy rains. This wet land, however, has been ditched and tiled until it is the most productive
part of the township.
The soil is a black loam of great fertility, and was originally covered with a heavy growth of timber composed
of the usual varieties found in other townships south of the rivers.
The first settlement of the county was made in Washington township, but now a part of the city of Logansport.
Alexander Chamberlain, on December 23, 1824, purchased the west half of fractional section 35, and on May 25, 1825,
bought the east half of the same section, located on the south bank of the Wabash river. On the east half of this
purchase, opposite the mouth of Eel river, he erected a cabin in the summer of 1826, being the first permanent
settler not only in Washington township, but also the first in Cass county.
In 1828 he sold this cabin home to. Gen. John Tipton, and built a similar double hewed log house on the west half
of his purchase, where Heppe's soap factory is now located. In the later thirties Mr. Chamberlain moved to Rochester,
Indiana, where he kept a hotel for many years and died there.
General Tipton was the second white man to locate in this township in the spring of 1828. He was an Indian agent
at that time, and erected a small office near the south bank of the Wabash river in front of his log house that
he purchased from Mr Chamberlain, but in a few years moved over into the town of Logansport.
In 1829 William Lewis settled in the south part of section 35, just west of Shultz Town.
On October 7, 1830, Andrew Johnson built a cabin on the southeast quarter of section 2, a short distance south
of Logansport, and became permanent resident and one of the most influential citizens of the township. Capt. Cyrus
Vigus came in 1831 and erected his cabin just south of the city and was a leading character in the township and
county for over fifty years. Soon after came Francis Murphy, Jacob Sine, Samuel and Thomas Kinneman, Jesse Julian
and William C. Richardson, all familiar names in pioneer days.
Washington township was a part of the great Miami Indian reservation, and was not opened to land purchasers until
1838 or later, except a small section near the Wabash.
In that year the government purchased of the Indians a part of the township, but it was not until 1843 that the
Indians relinquished their rights to the entire township and agreed to move west of the Mississippi. After this,
however, the township was rapidly settled. David Ripley settled near Anoka and Henry Wipperman came in an early
About 1840 John Morgan located near the steep hill that bears his name. In 1842 Henry Ramer settled in section
22, and Major Long in the same neighborhood, where both became leading citizens in the development of the township.
The same year Josiah Butler settled in section 4 and John Leffel in the same locality. About 1843 John Guy and
his sons, Joseph, Hiram, Alfred and James Guy, located in section 34, and became prominent in the affairs of the
In 1849 Peter Martin and his sons, Francis and Jesse Martin, located in the eastern part of the township, where
they were active in the material and religious development of the township, and where their descendants are still
Other early settlers who became actively identified with the progress of the township were: Barton R. Keep, Charles
and Almond Lyons, James Carney, William Sturgeon, Josiah Jones, Benjamin Spader, Michael Ward, William Delford,
Alexander Smith, John Spitznagle, Daniel Small, Michael Bruner, David Burkit, Daniel Brown, Gideon Vernon, Pickering
Vernon, John Cotterman, Painter West, Thomas Neal, Willard White, A. B. Knowlton, Robert Belew, James Helton, W.
J. Sagesser, James Hanna, Conrad Mench, Jacob Myers, John Neff, Leonard Simons, Robert Rhea, Matthew Jack, Christian
Washington township was formally organized September 7, 1842, and named in honor of the father of our country,
and an election was ordered to be held at the residence of Barton R. Keep, October 8, 1842, and Josiah Butler was
appointed inspector. Jesse Julian was elected the first justice of the peace.
INDUSTRIES AND MILLS
Washington township has no large streams, hence the milling industries were not extensive, especially before
the days of railroads and steam mills, yet we find the pioneers utilizing what little water power the small streams
The first mill in Washington township was built by David Ripley in 1843 on upper Minnow creek in section 3, northwest
of Anoka, who operated it in a small way for five or six years.
In 1853 William Nelson erected a sawmill on lower Minnow creek and ran it for several years.
Joseph Uhl, in 1855, erected quite a large two story flouring mill on Minnow creek in the northwest quarter of
section 4 and did an extensive business for several years. He sold to Mr. Mitchell in the early sixties. It then
fell into the hands of Dr. J. A. Taylor, and in September, 1872, William Like purchased the mill and operated it
a number of years, but the water supply becoming inadequate, it was closed and in 1908 was finally torn down and
the last water power mill in Washington township has passed into history.
Water power being inadequate, steam mills began early to appear in order to dispose of the heavy timber which covered
the township. As early as 1851 Thomas Neal built the first steam sawmill and operated it for many years, then sold
out to Henry Herr, who continued to run it for a time, but the timber being exhausted, was closed in the nineties
About 1851 Alexander Smith and Pickering Vernon started a sawmill in the central southern part of the township
and operated it by horse power, and while not a large mill, yet it was a great convenience to the pioneers in that
In 1855-6 Nicholas Small built a steam sawmill in the southeast part of the township and they had a buhr for grinding
corn to accommodate the farmers of the neighborhood. They continued to operate the mill until it was destroyed
by fire in 1871.
Bruner & Freed, about 1865, erected a large steam sawmill in the southern part of the township and did a large
business for some years.
George Burkhart operated a steam sawmill in the western part of the township for many years, but has done but little
sawing in recent years, as the timber is about exhausted.
Several mills for the manufacture of drain tile were operated quite extensively at one time, but the demand was
largely supplied and the mills closed.
Today there are no manufacturing industries within the township, it being pre eminently an agricultural district,
and its people are industrious and prosperous farmers, as a drive through the township will show fertile fields
well fenced and stocked with the best breeds of horses, cattle and hogs, with many elegant modern dwellings, quite
a contrast with sixty years ago, when log cabins, mud roads and ox carts were everywhere in evidence.
The transportation facilities have also been greatly changed and perfected since the pioneer began to clear the
forests and cut out roads. The first road to be opened up through Washington township was the old Michigan road,
about 1832, and the second was the Kokomo road, but these were simply lanes cut through the forests with no grading
or graveling, but poles and brush thrown in the low places and covered with dirt, making the corduroy roads so
common in the first settlement of the county.
These roads have gradually been straightened, graded, graveled or macadamized until all the important roads in
the township are now improved with stone or gravel.
One railroad passes through the eastern part of the township, with a station, "Anoka," and the Indiana
Union Traction Company's interurban line from Logansport to Indianapolis traverses the township, with stations
at every crossroads, which greatly adds to the convenience of the people. These with stone roads and automobiles
which are coming into general use, together with the electric telephone, practically annihilate time and space.
This generation can hardly realize the great changes in means of transportation since Josiah Butler first settled
here about 1840, when he made a business trip to Cincinnati on foot, requiring over two weeks to make the journey.
As soon as a few families had settled in a neighborhood they began to take measures to open schools for the
education of their children. The first school in the township was opened in the fall of 1838, in an old log cabin
situated on the hill south of Logansport, on the east side of the old Michigan road, on what was then called the
Johnson farm, in the southeast quarter of section 2, now owned by John M. Cantley. This was a primitive round log
structure that had been erected by a "squatter" or hunter, and was not built for school purposes.
John I Leyhe was the first teacher and "Billy" Keep, now living at 624 North street, went to school to
Mr. Leyhe in 1841 or 1842, in a log schoolhouse, the first school building erected in the township in the southeast
quarter of section 2. Mr. Leyhe was an Irishman with a fair education, and a rigid disciplinarian, who wielded
the birch unsparingly. Some years later the log structure gave way to a frame building and this was replaced by
the present brick schoolhouse situated on the southeast corner of section 2, and known as School No. 3, although
it is the successor to the first schoolhouse built in the township.
There was a log schoolhouse built in the forties on the southeast corner of section 7 (Center schoolhouse) and
was replaced in the sixties by a frame. A round log schoolhouse was erected in 1848 on the northwest quarter of
section 14, a little to the north of Frank Justice's present residence; this was a typical log structure, according
to J. R. Crain, with a log cut out and window glass set in along the whole length of the building, stick and mud
chimney, puncheon floor, etc.
Palmer schoolhouse No. 4 on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 24 was built by James H. Crain
about 1853, and Lucretia Jones was the first teacher at this school.
A hewed log house was built, in the later forties on the southwest corner of section 15, known as Long's schoolhouse.
This was burned down about 1863 and replaced by a frame structure. This schoolhouse became a center of intellectual
activity, debates and meetings of various kinds were held here, and the Center church was organized here.
The Burkit schoolhouse stood on the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of section 29. This was a hewed log
building and was used for religious meetings before the erection of churches in that vicinity.
Schoolhouses were erected in different parts of the township to meet the demands of the settlers, each neighborhood
having entire control over the schools. On taking effect of the new constitution in 1853 there were seven schoolhouses
in the township, but these were located irregularly throughout the township, according to the whims of each locality,
but after the new school laws became operative the trustee took full control of the schools, arranged them systematically
to accommodate all parts of the township. and in 1900 there were nine schools in the township, but in 1909 one
house, No. 6, known as Bruner school, situated on the southwest corner of section 27, was abandoned and the scholars
hauled to No. 7, and the trustee, W. P. Burkit, reports that the consolidation of the schools is satisfactory,
both to the township and patrons.
The township now has eight schools - No. 1, situated on the southwest corner of section 3, built in 1860; No. 2,
Center school, situated on the southeast corner of section 7; No. 3, on the southeast corner of section 3; No.
4, on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 24; No. 5 (Long's school), on the southwest corner
of section 15; No. 6, abandoned; No. 7, erected in 1890 on the northeast quarter of section 29; No. 8, on the northwest
quarter of section 31, and No. 9, in Anoka, a brick schoolhouse erected in 1885.
On October 24, 1859, the township purchased Lot No. 63 in Taberville, which was then a part of Washingtoh township,
and erected a frame schoolhouse upon it, where school was held for a number of years. This lot is now within the
city limits of Logansport.
The last year's report shows 337 children of school age, who are classified and arranged into eight grades of the
common school branches. The total valuation of school property is reported at 813,000.
The following is a list of the trustees from 1865 to 1913, with dates of service:
Robert Rhea, 1865 to 1878; John Palmer, 1878 to 1882; O. P. Burkit, 1882 to 1886; Nathan McManus, 1886 to 1890;
Jacob Nicodemus, 1890 to 1894; Silas Storer, 1894 to 1900; Herman E. Martin. 1900 to 1904; Charles I. Seybold,
1904 to 1908; William P. Burkit, 1908 to 1914.
This township being situated so near Logansport, its people could easily attend the city churches, and no regular
meetings were held in the township for several years after its settlement, although many of the early pioneers
were pious members of different religious denominations.
The first religious meetings were held about 1845 in the Johnson schoolhouse, a short distance south of the city
in the southeast quarter of section 2. These meetings were conducted at irregular intervals by ministers of the
Methodist and Baptist churches. No organization, however, was effected at this place, and it was not until 1853
that a religious society was established in the township.
UNION PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
This is the oldest religious organization within the confines of Washington township. Rev. M. M. Post, the first
preacher to locate in Cass county, was the moving spirit in its organization. Mrs. Hanna and daughter having moved
from Mr. Post's church in Logansport, nine miles into the almost impenetrable forests of Washington township, he
was induced to go to the house of this saintly woman, a round log cabin, and hold religious meetings, at which
were found a few of the faithful pioneers of that region.
Once a month this minister's voice could be heard in this rude and lonely cabin, crying in the wilderness, "Prepare
ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." Surely the roads over which Rev. Post traveled to reach
this country charge needed straightening and improving. He did not go in automobiles or on trolley cars, but on
horseback, winding along Indian trails and paths, around trees and stumps, struggling, often with much labor, through
mud, water and frost, over beech roots, to reach this lonely cabin in the clearing, in the then dense forests of
It was in the year 1849 when Father Post first began to meet this faithful band of Christians, in this primitive
way, but A was not until September 5; 1852, that there were enough settlers in the neighborhood to form a society.
On that day in Long's schoolhouse, situated on the southwest corner of section 15, an organization was effected
with the following nine charter members:
Peter Martin, Rebecca Martin, Henry Ramer, Elizabeth Ranier, Henry Schwalm, Eva E. Schwalm, Francis Martin and
This organization dragged along until June 20, 1853, when it was perfected and the following additional names added
to the church roster: Henry Schwalm, Jr., Elizabeth Mench, Elizabeth Hanna, Lucinda Layer, Jesse Martin, thus starting
Union church with fifteen members.
Peter Martin and Henry Ramer were ordained the first elders, and October 3, 1858, Francis S. Martin, Jesse Martin
and Nicholas Small were added to the board of elders. Soon after the organization was perfected, measures were
taken to build a house of worship, and in 1854 a handsome frame church was erected on land donated by Henry Ramer,
situated in the southeast quarter of section 22, about nine miles southeast of Logansport, near the Tipton township
line. The original cost of the church was nearly $1,500, but the furnishings were at first very crude, as the seats
were made of rough boards resting on wooden blocks. The Sunday school preceded the church organization. The pioneer
mothers, led by Mrs. Hanna, brought their children together every Sunday in one of the neighbor's cabins, and instilled
into their youthful minds the gospel truths, and since the erection of the church the Sunday school has been a
great means of promoting the interests of the church.
The first church building was replaced in 1905 by the present handsome modern church at a total cost of $7,500.
A ladies' missionary society was organized November 20, 1875, by Mrs. Post, the pastor's wife, with a membership
of ten, which has since increased to thirty.
The young people organized a Christian Endeavor Society in 1889, which has been helpful in promoting Christian
principles among the young people of the community: During Father Post's twenty six years' pastorate he baptized
eighty eight infants, four adults, and received one hundred and three members into the church.
The present membership is 135, and the church has been a great factor in developing the moral and Christian influences
in the township.
Pastors who have served the congregation are: Rev. M. M. Post, 1849-1876; Rev. Amos Jones, Rev. Bohannan, Rev.
Gilbert Small, Rev. J. B. Porter, Rev. A. E. Cammeron, Rev. W. R. Shelt, Rev. W. C. F. Lippert, Rev. C. A. Keracofe,
METHODIST OLD LOG CHURCH
Soon after the settlement of Washington township itinerant Methodist preachers began to visit the pioneers and
deliver messages of peace and goodwill to the scattered settlers in the wilderness. About 1853 the Methodist families
in the center and southern part of the township held meetings in private residences, and in 1855 Rev. W. K. Hobak
organized a class in the Burkit log schoolhouse that stood on the northeast corner of the southwest quarter of
section 29. This class was composed of fifteen members, among whom were: James Martin, father of William P. Martin,
and wife Elizabeth; Jerome McClain and wife, Lawrence Stalnaker and wife, Leonard Simon and wife, Christian Hipshire
Meetings were held at stated intervals at the residences of the members and occasionally in the above named schoolhouse,
until about 1863, when a. hewed log church was erected on the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section
This was a primitive building covered with clapboards and dedicated to the service of the Lord, January 23, 1864.
This log structure continued to be used by the neighborhood for religious meetings until "Blue Ball'' church,
a. short distance to the south, was built in 1872, after which it was seldom occupied for religious purposes.
A. Sunday school was established in the Burkit schoolhouse at the time of the church organization, with James Martin
as superintendent, and continued teaching the Gospel of Christ until the church organization was abandoned or merged
into the Christian society.
This class was never large, and with deaths, removals and political dissensions growing out of the Civil war of
1861-5, the membership was greatly reduced and finally disbanded and merged with the New Light congregation to
the south, which was formed in 1872. For some years after the old log church was used as a lodge room for the "Farmers'
Grange," which was active at that time, but was finally abandoned and torn down in 1882 or 1883, and since
that time the Methodists have had no church organization in Washington township until within the past year, when
a society was organized at Anoka.
The following pastors have administered to the spiritual wants of this congregation:
Rev. W. K. Hobak 1853-5; Rev. M. Wamin, Rev. Smith, Rev. Shackleford, Rev. Ramsey, Rev. Peck, Rev. A. J. Carey,
ANOKA M. E. CHURCH
This church had its inception through the efforts of Rev. S. J. Mellinger and wife, evangelists of Logansport,
who in February, 1913, held a series of revival meetings in the lower room of the Odd Fellows' hall in Anoka. They
awakened a great religious interest in the community, and as a result a church organization was perfected with
seventy six charter members.
Steps were at once taken to erect a house of worship and a board of trustees was appointed, consisting of A. J.
Shorts, president, with William Hopper, H. O. Warrick, A. J. Hunter, P. K. Shaffer, Harry Gotshall, G. W. Washburn,
W. R. Tousley and Charles E. Woodling.
The trustees at once purchased a building site east of the Odd Fellows' hall in Anoka, and have let the contract
for the erection of an $8,000 brick church which is now (May 27, 1913), in process of construction. This, the latest
church organization in Cass county, is starting out with bright prospects, and no doubt will be a tower of strength
to the weak and wavering sons and daughters of Eve in the Anoka neighborhood.'
The congregation has secured the services of Rev. Hall, a young and energetic' minister, who is holding regular
services in the Odd Fellows' building until their new church is completed.
ROCK CREEK VALLEY CHRISTIAN (NEW LIGHT) CHURCH
"BLUE BALL" CHURCH
About 1855 Elder Daniel Witters began holding meetings in private residences and at the Burkit log schoolhouse
in the south part of Washington township. Mr. Witters was a magnetic man of more than ordinary ability, and by
the forceful presentation of the doctrines of his church, succeeded in securing many communicants to accept the
Bible alone as the standard of faith and practice. About twenty six persons went into the organization which was
effected in the Burkit schoolhouse. Among this number were: David Burkit and wife, Painter West and wife, Alexander
Smith and wife, Theodore Hipshire and wife, Alfred Bunger and wife, Alfred Guy and wife, Jack Small and wife, Enslee
Vernon and wife. Mr. Enslee Vernon is the only charter member now living (1913), and we are indebted to him for
Meetings were held in the Burkit and Bruner schoolhouses for a number of years, and later in the old log Methodist
church in the neighborhood, which was built by the two societies jointly.
In 1872 the congregation, together with the aid of the Methodists, whose church organization had disbanded,
was reorganized by Revs. Thomas Whitman and William Winegardner, and a commodious house of worship was erected
on land donated by M. Rogers, situated on the southwest corner of section 28. The church was 36x50 feet in size
and represdnted a capital of $2,800.
On the top of the steeple was placed a large blue ball or globe, emblematic of the Christians' field of work, and
from this fact the church has commonly been called "Blue Ball Church." This building continued to be
occupied until 1911, when it was replaced by the present handsome church, constructed of cement blocks. The expenditure
of rebuilding was over $5,000.
A Sunday school was instituted in 1872 and with the Ladies' Aid Society are well attended and doing a noble work
in elevating the moral and spiritual character of the community.
Painter West and Enslee Vernon were elders and mainstays of the church for many years:
The following ministers have had pastoral charge of the congregation:
Daniel Witters, 1855-8; John Marshall, William Winegardner, Abraham Snethen, Thomas Whitman, A. S. Culbertson,
D. M. Fowler, 1886; James Uhlery, Al. Platt, John Cobb, Samuel MeNeeley, Silas Mosteller, C. E. McCoy, 1909-13.
ST. PAUL'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Ministers of this denomination occasionally visited this neighborhood and held meetings in private houses in
the early fifties, and in the spring of 1856 Rev. David Smith held a series of meetings in Long's schoolhouse,
situated on the southwest corner of section 15, Washington township.
As a result of these meetings an organization was effected on May 25, 1856, with the following membership: William
Long and wife, Aaron Long and wife, Samuel Long, Eliza Stough, Catharine Beall and others.
A Sunday school was established soon after and this little flock of earnest Christians continued to hold Sunday
school and occasional preaching services in Long's schoolhouse until 1877, when a reorganization, under the pastoral
charge of Rev. Simon P. Smith, was effected on January 14 of that year. This reorganization meeting was held in
Center schoolhouse and the following persons were received into membership:
Oliver E. Baughman, Mary A. Baughman, James and Catherine Miller, W. S. and Sarah Smith, Robert Nicodemus, Amelia
and Lucy Carney, David Woodling and wife, Aaron Long and family, John Long and family, Robert M. Carney.
The trustees, William Condon, Oliver Baughman and Robert Carney, were directed to erect a house of worship, and
during the summer of 1877 the work progressed and the church was completed and dedicated on February 17, 1878,
by Revs. Snyder and Wells.
This is a neat frame structure located on the southwest corner of section 8, on ground donated by William Condon,
and cost the sum of $2,500.
The first officers after reorganization were: Deacons, Aaron Long, Robert Carney, James Miller; elders, Peter D.
Herr, William Long, Oliver E. Baughman.
The list of pastors are:
David Smith, 1856; J. N. Barnett, 1860-2; J. C. Jacoby, 1885; L. Rice, 1886-92: A. C. Fryberger, A. J. Douglas,
J. A. Burkett, 1897-1901; H. D. Herald., 1895-7; George O. Ritter, 1902-6; C. Miller, 1907-12.
There are at least eleven different places in Washington township where the pioneers have been laid to rest
after their earthly career was ended, each of which will be briefly noticed.
This is the oldest burial ground in the township. Interments were made here in the forties, but no official
records appear until February 12, 1861. Alexander Smith conveyed one half acre of ground situated on the west side
of the south fork of Big Rock creek, on the southwest quarter of section 28, to Painter West, Christ. Hipshire
and Russel Crim. trustees appointed at a meeting, in consideration of affection for the dead. This is a small cemetery,
enclosed with a fence and neatly kept. First burials, as indicated by dates on monuments are the following, but
we are informed there are early unmarked graves: Mary Crim, daughter of R. and J. Crim, September 17, 1853; Elizabeth,
wife of J. W. Mitchell, 1855; Leonard N., son of L. and H. Simons, 1856.
Painter West has a large monument inscribed 1817-1898. Members of the White, Greaser, Weaver and other families
are buried here. The only soldier is William West, Company K, One Hundred and Eighteenth Indiana, died 1863.
HAHN OR ANOKA CEMETERY
John Hahn donated the ground about 1843, but deeds were not executed until after the lands had passed into other
hands, and on March 2, 1870, Martin G. Roderick, for the sum of $75, conveyed to Daniel Philips, Henry Gotshall
and William H. H. Tucker, trustees of Anoka cemetery, and their successors, one acre of land in the east half of
the southeast quarter of section 3, Washington township, with a twelve foot driveway from the road to the east
of the cemetery. This little cemetery is situated on raised ground a short distance east of Anoka, in the midst
of farm land, with only the driveway leading to it from the road on the east. The first person buried here was
John Hahn (the donor of the ground). The ground is not platted or, if so, is not of record.
Soldiers: McBane. Mexican war, died 1878; William Fiddler, Company F, One Hundred and Sixteenth Indiana, died 1877;
Perry Hudlow, Company F, One Hundred and Sixteenth Indiana, died 1864; Lafayette Tyler, Company A, One Hundred.
and Thirtieth Indiana, died 1893; Jacob Dunkle, Company K, Eighty-second Ohio, died 1903.
RAMER OR UNION PRESBYTERIAN CEMETERY
This burial ground was laid out by Henry Ramer, Sr., about 1850, but deeds were not executed until November
17, 1864, when he conveyed one half acre of land in the southeast quarter of section 22 to David Woodling, Francis
Martin and Nicholas Small, trustees, for a neighborhood burial ground, the east half to be used as a church site
and the west half for a graveyard. The deed excepts the lot on which his wife Ellen is buried. The church is for
the joint use of the Presbyterian (new school), the German Reformed and the Brethren denominations of Christians.
On February 6, 1904, John D. Ritter deeded an irregular tract of land adjoining the above on the west to John P.
Martin, Edwin F. Martin and Louis Kaufman, trustees of the church, for $1, and his love of the church.
On December 13, 1905, the trustees platted the ground. A church was built here many years ago.
This cemetery is not large, but is neatly kept and has some modern monuments.
The first interments were a child of John Wool. and Anna E. Ramer. From markers we note the following:
Infant son of W. and S. Long, 1843; Sarah E., wife of H. Shuman, 1848; Jacob Hildebrandt ____ 1850.
Soldiers: Henry Berry, Company B, One Hundred and Twenty eighth Indiana; John T. Martin, Company K, One Hundred
and Eighteenth Indiana. died 1905; Henry Kaufman, Company F, One Hundred and Fifty first Indiana, died 1906.
The ground for this cemetery was donated by Daniel Bruner in the forties but the farm adjoining changed hands
and on March 2, 1861, John. Small deeded to the trustees of the Christian church, one acre situated in the northwest
corner of section 34. Washington township.
First burials: Nancy Small, February 16, 1850; William, son of D. and M. Small, 1852; Benjamin Sagesser, 1856.
The grounds are nicely located, enclosed with a substantial fence, but only a few dozen interments have been made.
The church was not built on this ground but a mile to the west.
TABER PRIVATE BURIAL GROUND
is located on raised ground in the Taber prairie one half mile south of the Eighteenth street bridge and forty
rods east of the Morgan hill road. The land originally belonged to Cyrus Taber and is still owned by his descendants.
This ground was early used for burial purposes but no deeds were ever made and it belongs to the adjoining farm.
The first burial was a child of Charles Lyon, in 1840. There may be burials antedating this one, as there are many
unmarked graves: Wife of Almon Lyon, 1848; Almon Lyon, 1877. Other pioneer names found here are: McManus, Hahn,
Morphet, Guy. Cyrus Taber was buried here in 1855, but a few years ago he was removed to Mt. Hope.
There are several dozen graves here and the ground is enclosed with a fence but it is practically abandoned as
a burial ground.
TWELLS ' PRIVATE BURIAL GROUND
is situated on the old James Twells' farm in the southeast quarter of section 7, Washington township, now owned
by Gotlieb Schaffer. In the fifties several members of the Twells' family were buried here and a son of James Twells,
who was killed by a tree falling on him in 1876, and in 1885 James Twells was laid to rest in this secluded place,
but the remains of the Twells family were removed to Mt. Hope and no vestige remains to mark the place and it is
now farm land.
HUNTER FAMILY BURIAL PLACE
One half mile west of Anoka in the corner of a field in the northwest corner of the east half of the northwest
quarter of section 10,Washington township, are buried A. J. Hunter and two or three members of his family many
years ago. There are no markers at the graves but a paling fence 8x16 feet enclose the graves. The farm still belongs
to the Hunter heirs and the paling fence with its sacred enclosure is neatly kept (in 1907).
LEEDY FAMILY BURIAL GROUND
In the sixties Daniel Leedy owned and lived on a farm about one mile west of Anoka in the southwest quarter
of section 3. Prior to 1868, six or seven members of his family, and in that year Daniel Leedy himself, was buried
on his farm about sixty rods north of the schoolhouse No. 1. There were probably two or three other interments
made here. The remains of the Leedy family were removed to Anoka cemetery and all evidence of a burial ground has
disappeared except in the minds of a few old pioneers.
FOGLESONG PRIVATE BURIAL PLACE
Is situated on the Uhl farm in the southwest quarter of fractional section 33, just south of the road running
east along the south bank of the Wabash river and about forty rods east of the Uhl residence. Chris Foglesong,
a brother of Daniel Foglesong, ex-commissioner, now deceased, laid out a burial ground on this farm which he then
owned, and buried three of his children here, about 1847 and later. Members of the Nelson, Fiddler and other families
to the number of fourteen in all were buried here.
A small walnut tree, twelve feet high and a marble slab lying under it marks the place (in 1907). On this marble
slab is inscribed: Wm. Foglesong, died December 27, 1852, aged 23 years. All other proofs of this once hallowed
ground have disappeared and the place is now in the middle of a field, but the dead that lie peacefully here are
oblivious to the tread of the plowman.
But, although our bodies are only clay,
There's something sacred where they lay.
CRAIN FAMILY BURIAL PLACE
James H. Crain, father of Joseph E. Crain, the architect, was a pioneer of Washington township and lived on
his farm in the southeast quarter of section 14; and like many another pioneer when death entered his home he laid
his loved ones to rest on some knoll, under a giant forest tree on his own lands. On September 14, 1851, he buried
his son, Horace Benjamin, aged three years, on this farm with only a forest tree for a marker. Two children of
Mr. Harris and probably others were interred at this place. A fence once enclosed this little burial ground but
during a forest fire it was burned down and never replaced; the land was cleared and is now in a cultivated field
and no one can point out the exact spot once sacred to the pioneer dead.
BUTLER PRIVATE CEMETERY
Josiah Butler, some time in the forties, located on a farm in the southwest quarter of section 4, and several
members of his family were buried on the south bank of Minnow Creek, about thirty rods west of the east line of
section 4, which is at this date, 1907, a fine open woodland pasture. There are now two marble slabs lying on the
ground, under the shade of a Walnut tree, with the following inscriptions: Mary, daughter of W. S. and E. G. Butler,
died February 13, 1864, aged 1 year, 8 months and 10 days. Infant son of W. S. and U. C. Butler, died November
30, 1860, aged 5 hours. It is said other interments were made at this place. This spot once sacred to mourning
friends is beautifully located in a woods pasture, dotted here and there with walnut and other native forest trees,
beside a winding brook and the gentle noise of the flowing waters make sweet music in this wooded vale; yet the
ears of these little ones are deaf to all earthly surroundings and sleep the sleep that knows no waking until the
morn of resurrection day.
On earth we tenderly lay thy dust,
Under the branches of a forest tree,
But in heaven we put our trust,
Throughout all eternity.
CUBA - HERMAN CITY - ANOKA
Washington township is not distinguished for its towns or cities - yet two town sites have been laid out within
its borders but the original title or name given to these town plats have long since been dropped and but few of
this generation ever heard of the towns of Cuba and Herman City, yet such town sites are of record.
The town of Cuba was laid out February 8, 1853, by John Manna on the east side of the Newcastle and Richmond Railroad,
now the Richmond division of the Pan. Handle, situated in the northeast quarter of section 10, Washington township.
This town site consisted of seventy three lots and four streets: Oak, Columbia, Walnut and Railroad streets.
Herman City was, laid out by F. Herman Smith, September 29, 1876, at the junction between the two railroads, now
the Bradford and Richmond divisions of the Pan Handle Railroad. This town site lies north of "Cuba,"
above mentioned and consisted of sixteen lots and two streets, Franklin and Broadway, the former running north
and south, the latter east and west.
These two towns were never widely known by their original names but took the name of the postoffice, "Anoka"
that was established and kept here or in this neighborhood for years.
The name Anoka or Anoka Junction has been universally applied to this place for a generation past. It is situated
about five miles southeast of Logansport on the above named railroads near the east line of the township
Thomas P McBane was the first storekeeper in the town followed by Jabish Philips and a Mr. Deyo. Eldridge B. Knight,
Alexander Muntz and Thomas McBane carried on shoe shops at different periods. Jacob J. Ringer, in the fifties,
established a stave factory and manufactured flour barrels and sold his product to Joseph Uhl, who operated the
flouring mill on Minnow Creek, and Joshua Richeson also ran a cooper shop and shingle factory for some years in
In the early history of the town Daniel Myers opened a shop for the manufacture of two horse breaking plows which
he called the "Wabash Gold Digger." In 1865-6, E. B. and R. B. Knight conducted a broom factory quite
extensively. Willis R. Tousley, J. W. Puterbaugh, Geo. P. Dykeman, Louisa Benson and Warren Storer have conducted
general stores in the past. Ab Sissin is the present storekeeper, and Bert Turnpaugh, the village blacksmith.
In 1856 a postoffice was established, but there was another Cuba postoffice. The office here was named "Anoka"
and the town has accepted that name also. Thomas McBane was the first postmaster and the following persons have
since held that position.
Jabish Philips, appointed February 2, 1863; Jacob J. Ringes, November 30, 1863; Joseph Newcomb, 1865. The office
was discontinued and reestablished, several times moved south a mile where Geo. P. Dykeman was postmaster in 1872,
and again a mile east in Tipton township in 1875, with Jabish Philips, postmaster. In 1880 Willis R. Tousley was
appointed postmaster; 1886, Win. H. Gish, followed by John Novinger, 1888; John W. Puterbaugh, 1889; Meshack Berry,
1893; Louise Benson, 1903, she being the last to hold the office, which was discontinued in that year on the establishment
of free rural mail delivery and the farmers of the entire township now have daily mail delivered at their doors.
ODD FELLOWS LODGE
Anoka Lodge, No. 630, I. O. O. F., was instituted March 2, 1887, with the following officers: A. J. Sharts,
N. G.; L. J. Leedy, V. G.; W. R. Tousley, secretary, and J. W. Puterbaugh, treasurer.
The present officers arc: Clarence Archa, N. G.; Frank Parks, V. G.; Geo. Rust, secretary; J. C. Hahn, treasurer.
The present membership is 81.
Soon after the organization of the lodge, a two story frame hall was erected in the north part of the town; this
was destroyed by fire in 1889 but was soon rebuilt. This hall was again burned down on July 20, 1911, lint; the
following year, the present two story frame hall was erected in the south part of the town and the lodge, although
meeting with these losses, is pluckily pushing forward and was never more prosperous.
Dr. James Chadwick was born and educated in England, came to Cass county about 1860, and opened an office in
Anoka. About 1864 he moved to Perrysburg, Indiana. He was a young man with no family at that time.
Dr. Win. B. Hunter was a native of Washington township, where he was born and educated and taught several terms
of district school. He graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan, about 1884, and at
once engaged in practice near Anoka, where he continued for two or three years and then moved to Colorado where
he is still engaged in active practice of his chosen profession. He was a member of the Cass County Medical Society,
1885-7. The doctor was married in Colorado and has several children.
Dr. Vossburg was the first physician to locate in Anoka., about 1854. He only remained a short time and left for
greener fields of practice.
Dr. A. M. Chord located in Anoka in 1869, where he practiced until 1873, when he moved to Logansport and died there
in 1892 from the effects of being knocked down by Elmer Willard, a highwayman.
At the present time, Anoka is a small village, consisting of a dozen or more houses, the Odd Fellows hall, a schoolhouse
and a Methodist church now in process of construction, and being at the junction of the two divisions of the Pan
Handle Railroad, is a convenient railroad station for the surrounding country which is occupied by well to do farmers.
Probably the first marriage celebrated in the township was that of Peter Barron to Sarah Chamberlain, in 1830.
The bride was the daughter of Alex Chamberlain, the first permanent settler of the county, and the groom, the son
of Joseph Barron, the celebrated Indian interpreter of William Henry Harrison during the early Indian wars and
who died in Logansport in 1843.
Helm's history states that the first birth in Washington township was Geo. T. Tipton, son of Gen. John Tipton,
in 1830, but this is an error as Geo. Tipton, according to his daughter's statement, Miss Tillie Tipton, now residing
in Logansport, was born in Corydon, Indiana, on May 14, 1827.
The first death in the township was Sarah Buckman, who was stabbed with a knife and killed by her intoxicated husband,
The first hotel in the township and county was opened in a log house in 1826-7 by Alex Chamberlain on the south
bank of the Wabash river.
The first brick house in the township was built by Josiah Butler on the northeast quarter of section 4 and is still
standing. Mr. Butler settled on this land about 1841-2, erected a log cabin and replaced the log house with a brick
structure, making the brick with his own hands and occupied the house until the infirmities of age compelled his
retirement and he died at the home of his son, Frank Butler, in 1893; aged 88 and reposes in Mt. Hope cemetery.
On August 7, 1876, Archibald Baird and son were instantly killed by a passenger train near Anoka. Wm. S. Twells,
son of James Twells, while felling a tree on his father 's farm in section 7, was instantly killed, March 27, 1877.
Sol. D. Brandt, a prominent resident of Logansport, while going to see about business matters on Cedar Island,
which he, at that time owned, was in some way drowned in the excessive floods in the spring of 1905, and some days
later his body was found down the Wabash river near Georgetown.
Many years ago Samuel McCullough was hunting on Cedar Island and was backing around to get a good shot at a deer,
and in his excitement, not noticing where he was going, backed off the craggy rocks at the upper end of the island,
and broke his arm and otherwise injured himself and was laid up for weeks. It is needless to say the deer escaped.
Tom McBane while out hunting about sixty years ago wounded a catamount, that were numerous in those days, and when
cornered or wounded were very ferocious. The animal took refuge in a hollow log, and thinking he could capture
it, used his gun barrel to secure his prize, but the animal showed fight and McBane with his gun pressed the animal
down but could not let up for the animal would jump out on him. As long as he held the animal at bay he was safe
but he dare not let go. In this predicament W. H. H. Tucker came along and assisted McBane in dispatching the animal
or probably he would be there today holding that catamount in its hole with his gun.
The presidential campaign of 1856 was very exciting and a Republican Glee Club was organized in Washington township,
composed of Gillis J. McBane (the first white child born in Logansport), James G. McGrew, Jacob Hudlow, W. W. Hahn,
and W. H. H. Tucker. One of the chief issues in that campaign was the admission of Kansas as a free or slave state.
Buchanan and Breckenridge were the Democratic. and Fremont and Dayton were the Republican candidates. A stanza
of a song sung by this glee club ran thus:
"Buck and Breck, neck and neck,
A yoke of oxen slow,
Lugging at the Kansas load,
Whoa, haw, gee, whoa."
"A cracking pair of ponies to the world we'll show
The Rocky mountain hunter, and the girl in Jersey blue."
The voices of this club were heard not only in Washington township, but all over the county and surrounding counties,
and created great amusement and enthusiasm wherever they went.
Sketches of the following persons may be found in Helms' History published in 1886, and will not be reproduced
Bechdol, Elias, born 1818; died ____
Bradfield, Thomas, born 1819; died 1893.
Burkit, O. P., born 1854; still living.
Condon. Wm., born 1825; died 1913.
Crain, James H., born 1809; died 1897.
Creekmore, John, born 1810; died ____
Crockett, John S., born 1837; still living.
Dietz, John G., born 1806.
Gard, Canada, born 1823; died 1870.
Garver, Mrs. Amelia, born 1817; died ____
Gremmelspacher, Roman, born 1836; died ____
Guthrie, Joseph, born 1841; still living.
Guy James, born 1817; died ____
Leedy, Louis J., born 1854; still living.
Lyon, America J., died 1913.
Martin, Jesse, born 1834; died 1909.
Palmer, John, born 1842; still living.
Pierson, Matthew H., born 1843.
Snider, William, born 1814; died ____
Seyhold, John G., born 1824; still living.
Storer, Mrs. Mary C., born 1817; died 1905.
Tousley, Willis R., born 1848; still living.
Twells, James S., born 1814; died 1885.
Wendling, Michaels, born 1830; died 1905.
Wipperman, Henry, born 1882; died 1904.
Woodling, Mrs. Margaret, born 1820; died 1894.
Francis S. Martin, born 1830; died ____
Samuel B. Storer, born 1811 died 1884.
David Woodling, born 1815; died 1882.