History of Cloverland, Clay County, Indiana
From: A History of Clay County, Indiana
By: William Travis (of Middlebury)
The Lewis Publishing Company
New York - Chicago 1909
Cloverland, a town and postoffice on the National Road, in Posey township, six miles west of Brazil, near the
Vigo county line, founded in 1834, by Charles Modesitt, so named from the growth of native clover on the site.
A postoffice was established at this point in 1850. Prior to the building and operation of the Terre Haute &
Indianapolis Railroad, Cloverland was a business center of considerable importance, from its location on the great
and only overland thoroughfare of that day between the East and the West. The earliest infant clay plant, or pottery,
in the county was located here. The first steam flouring mill between Terre Haute and Greencastle and the second
in Clay county was built here in 1855, by Jacob Carpenter, George W. Eppert and John G. Ackelmire, named "Buffalo"
Mills, destroyed by fire in 1881. As this place is in the coal field, which has been recently developed, and on
the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Traction line, it has made some growth and improvement for the few years past.
It is a desirable location for residences and within easy reach of both Brazil and Terre Haute. Among the early
inhabitants of the town who contributed to the development, reputation and stability of the place, socially, industrially
and otherwise was the George Carpenter family, of whom several worthy representatives continue to reside there.
Among the early merchants of the town were Jesse Redifer and James M. Lucas, of whom the latter was the first postmaster,
holding the position sixteen years, and was succeeded by Jacob A. Carpenter. Other merchants were G. W. Eppert,
Carpenter & Hoskins, F. J. S. Robinson, George W. Moore, John Lucas.