GROWTH AS A TRADING POINT.
The census of 1830 gave Lawrenceburg a population of eight hundred and ninety five the census of 1840 found
one thousand four hundred and fifty, and the town was full of enterprise and business. In 1846 the town was incorporated
as a city under an act "granting the citizens of Madison and Lawrenceburg a City Charter." The first
election was held at Lawrenceburg on April 6, 1846. The city grew and the census of 1850 showed a population of
two thousand six hundred and fifty one.
During the decade between 1840 and 1850 the business of the place had grown rapidly. Pikes had been constructed
which added to the commercial life of the town. The broad highway leading out towards Ripley county had been macadamized
as far as Manchester during this period. A stage line was operated regularly between this city and Greensburg,
and from there the traveler could continue on to Indianapolis and to other points. The merchants were ready to
purchase from the farmers of the interior country anything that was offered and pay for it in good money. This
stimulated trade and the state road was thronged with farm wagons loaded with wheat and other products for the
Lawrenceburg market. These wagons would return carrying salt, sugar, molasses and many other articles needed in
the household. A few years back men could be yet found as far west as Gceencastle, Lebanon and Danville who had
driven their teams to Lawrenceburg with wagons loaded with wheat, where it would be disposed of; and returning
would bring home articles necessary in the household economy.
This extensive business brought considerable money to the city and increased its growth and fame. Many of the houses
now standing were built during this decade and perhaps the most of them in the early part of this ten years. Some
of the business men who were prominent during this period were George Tousey, C. G. W. Comegys, John Gray, Craft
& Company, Lemly & Dunn, Wymond & Ferris, Hauck & Wedelstadt, J. Gysie & Company, R. &
A. Parry, L. B. Lewis, James S. Heath and John Ferris & Company. The attorneys at that time were George H.
Dunn, Amos Lane, Philip L. Spooner, John Ryman, Daniel S. Majors, Abram Brower, David Macy, W. S. Holman, James
T. Brown, James H. Lane, James S. Jelley, and Theodore Gazlay. The physicians were Ezra Ferris, Jeremiah H. Brower,
Elisha Morgan, Myron H. Harding, E. P. Bond, Milo Black and William Starm.
During this decade of 1840 to 1850 the Methodist Episcopal church was erected at a cost of ten thousand dollars
and other improvements were made about the town. The seat of justice for the county, which in 1835 had been removed
to Wilmington, was again located at Lawrenceburg. Its incorporation as a city, among the few cities of that period
in the state, gave the place quite a prestige; and the volume of business increasing with the improvement of the
highways, the new era of prosperity began to take on an air of permanence, until many of the citizens were convinced
that the place would be the metropolis of the state. Its mercantile business grew with its commerce; steamboats
and flatboats carried the produce of the farmers to the lower river markets. The city became a rendezvous for men
following the river. The Mexican War period was during this decade and Lawrenceburg was prominent in recruiting
and equipping several companies for that struggle. It furnished the officers for several companies and a number
of the regimental officers besides privates and non commissioned officers. The discovery of gold in California
found many of those who had seen service in Mexico ready to go to that far away country in search of fortunes.
During this period the flood of 1847 visited the Ohio valley, causing much loss to the people, and Lawrenceburg
was inundated. However, the city recovered from it with apparently little trouble, and business was only temporarily
COMING OF THE RAILWAY.
In the period from 1850 to 1860 the railway came to the city. It was during that period that both the Ohio &
Mississippi and the Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis railways were built. The latter 'was largely built by Lawrenceburg
capital and Lawrenceburg energy. George H. Dunn, who had been the father of the earlier attempt to construct a
railway, revived the project, and very early in the fifties succeeded in completing it through to Indianapolis.
Thus Lawrenceburg bade goodbye to its stage lines, its caravans of live stock and long trains of produce. At first,
with the advent of the railways, it was thought that the city would grow by leaps and bounds, and it would command
the trade of the interior of the state, but before the decade ended it became evident to the far seeing merchants
and business men that the railways would be the means of building up, in a commercial way, only the centers of
trade, and that the smaller towns would contribute.
Accordingly, business men who were dealing largely with the country planned to get out of business here and remove
to the larger centers of trade and distribution. Year by year the country trade was cut off from the city by reason
of the changes in lines of communication and business. The city has been prosperous, but its business has ceased
to be largely a mercantile one, and it has gradually become a manufacturing center. The merchant of today no longer
expects to deal with a customer who has spent from a day to a week on the road with his load of produce, and who
in return for the money received for his produce will purchase supplies that will perhaps fill a wagon. The country
trade is limited to the immediate vicinity of the city, within a radius of some ten to twenty miles, owing to the
direction. People living farther out soon found a market on the railway nearer home and the business that had formerly
come to Lawrenceburg was transferred to nearer towns.
Yet with the coming of factories and the development of the nearby country, the little city continued to show a
growth and an increase in business. In 1870 the population had increased to three thousand one hundred and fifty
nine, and in 1880 to four thousand six hundred and fifty four. During the decade from 1880 to 1890 the city suffered
three disastrous floods, which caused the citizens immense loss. The water in the flood of 1884 reached a height
never before known. and many of the factories and business men never fully recovered from the losses entailed.
By 1890 the population of the city had increased to four thousand two hundred and eighty, and in 1900 it was four
thousand three hundred and twenty six. In 1910 the census showed a population of three thousand nine hundred and
thirty. The business of the city has somewhat slackened, but still shows great vigor. The great flood of 1913 caused
a loss of an incalculable amount, but the manufactories are. rapidly recovering and a few years will doubtless
bring the city back to its old time vigor.
For many years Lawrenceburg had no fire department, depending on the vigilance and willingness of her citizens
to rally to the assistance of the town when a fire occurred. For years it was the pride of the town to be able
to say that very citizen was an active member of the volunteer bucket brigade. It had been at all times vigilant
and ever ready to respond when an alarm was given. The bravery and heroism of this patriotic unorganized brigade
was admirable, but it was found by the great fire of July 4, 1866, when property estimated at a value of sixty
thousand dollars was destroyed, and the fire on the corner of Short and High streets in the spring of 1882, that
it was necessary to find more efficient means of fighting fire. Accordingly a fire department was organized and
equipped with two companies and two fire engines. The companies were for years organized on a volunteer basis,
with an exemption of five hundred dollars on their property for taxes. This fire department continued for thirty
years and the company was dissolved in 1910 and a new company organized that is alert and ready to go at a moment's
notice when duty calls.
The chief of the fire department is Drewry Northern; assistant, Peter Enclress. The officers of Fire Company No.
1 are: Captain, William G. A. Schneider; first lieutenant, Philip E. Jackson; second lieutenant, John M. Fichter;
surgeon, Edward J. Emmert. As an organization it also has for president, Emil Kestner; vice president, Isaac Cappel;
secretary, William Kaffenberg; assistant secretary, Oliver Fowler; treasurer, Adam Vesemmeier. The officers of
Fire Company No. 2 are: President, Henry M. Poollman; vice president, Henry A. Menke; secretary, John Beinkamp;
treasurer, Jacob Spanagel; captain, William J. Sicking; first lieutenant, Frank Schindler; first engineer, Frank
Sedler; second engineer, John Beinkamp.
DIRECTORY OF 1860.
The business men of Lawrenceburg during the decade from 185o to 186o were partly as follow: B. T. W. S. Anderson,
boarding house keeper; Leon Adler & Company, merchant tailors; Henry Adler, dry goods; George Huschart, marble
and freestone works; George W. Moore, dry goods; Helfer & Woodward, carriage manufactory; John Wymond, grocer
and commission merchant; J. P. Ulrey, dentist; T. & C. Gaziay, attorneys at law; Gaffs & Marshall, millers
and distillers; Alexander Beckman, commission merchant and wharfboat proprietor; Farmers' Hotel, George Meyer,
proprietor, corner Main and Third streets; Adam Kastner, baker; Ludlow & Tate. sash factory; C. H. W. Werneke,
cigar factory; Lewis & Moore, dry goods; D. S. Barthdell, cooperage; Metcalf & Fagan. lumber; Henry R.
Helmuth, dry goods; A. Bookwalter, editor of the Register; Henry Godert, boots and shoes; Ferris & Abbott,
drugs; Orville & Origen Thomson, editors of the Hoosier State; Piatt & Reid, attorneys; Amos Bolander,
proprietor of Bolander House; George W. Ferguson, house and sign painter; J. P. Chew, insurance; John Ferris. insurance;
David E. Sparks, insurance; Mrs. T. E. Dunn, ambrotpe artist; James T. Brown, attorney; Spooner & Schwartz,
attorneys; Philip L Spooner, attorney; George D. Tate, carpenter; E. G. Burkam, president of the Branch Bank of
the State of Indiana; C. B. Burkam, cashier; George Brodbeck, confectioner; George P. Buell, produce dealer; Chapman
& Son, grocers; William E. Craft, notary public; Philip Dexheimer, blacksmith; George S. Duncan, Ohio &
Mississippi ticket agent; George B. Fitch, proprietor of Fitch House; M. H. Harding, physician; Jacob Gysie, grocer;
Nichols Harold, boots and shoes; John Isherwood, news depot and carrier; John G. Kennedy, bank teller; Henry Kirsch.
cigars and tobacco; Lewis & Eichelberger, millers; Thomas J. Lucas, watches and jewelry; Joseph McGranahan,
grocer; Daniel S. Major, attorney; Mathias Miller, coal dealer; Joseph Mooney, clothier; R. H. Parry, dry goods;
Frank Riddell, postmaster; George Preston, carpenter; Robert Rodgers, livery; Hugh F. Smith, grocer; Norval Sparks,
grocer; William Tate, Jr., physician; Omer Tousey, land dealer: Charles Walters, physician.
The first brick house built in Lawrenceburg is thought to have been erected by Dr. Jabez Percival. The building
was the old two story, heavy walled dwelling house that stood some twenty five years ago back of the Methodist
Episcopal church at the foot of Vine street. It was a well built, deep windowed, well lighted brick, with a third
story that was used for some years by Lodge No. 4. Free and Accepted Masons, for their meeting place. After the
Percival family had all departed from Lawrenceburg, it fell into other hands and was a tenement house until the
Methodist congregation purchased it and tore it down. The walls were nearly three feet in thickness and it had
the appearance of being erected for defense. The building was thought to have been erected about 1806.
The residence now occupied by Louis Schusternian and owned by Conrad Stumpf, on the north side of High street,
next door to the Dr. W. D. H. Hunter residence, is probably the oldest brick house now standing and probably the
oldest house of any description in the city. The Farmers Mechanics Bank occupied it for a banking house in 1817,
and it had probably then been erected for several years. The corner portion of the Grand Hotel, High and Walnut
streets, was erected by Jesse Hunt in 1819 and has been occupied as a hotel ever since. It is claimed that it was
the first three story brick house built in the state of Indiana, which may probably be true. It was considered
at the time as a wonder, and it was a common remark of the people, "What in the world is Jesse Hunt going
to do with them rooms away up there?"
The brick house on the corner of Main and Third streets belonging to John A. Bobrink, county treasurer, is said
to have been erected in 1820. It has been occupied as a place of business ever since it was built, and is still
in a good state of preservation.
What is called the Tousey house, now belonging to the Lawrenceburg Roller Mills Company, wads erected about
1820, by Capt. Samuel C. Vance. It was claimed to be, for many years, the finest residence on the Ohio river between
Cincinnati and Louisville. The visitor in looking through its spacious rooms and critically examining its front
walls, will be impressed with the justice of this claim. The ceilings are high and the walls thick. Them hall stairway
is a wonder for modern mechanics, with its spiral staircase reaching from the cellar to the garret. The front is
massive, for those days, with freestone steps and arched doorway. It was the home of the Vances until the death
of the Captain in 1828. Afterward Doctor Piuckard used it as a college. Dr. T. B. Pinckard married Catherine Vance,
daughter of Captain Vance, and was a practicing physician and a druggist. He was also a man of considerable culture,
and after Captain Vance's death he undertook to promote a college in the residence. It was called "Washington
Agricultural School," and he advertised that with the site of the college building was some twenty five acres
of land which he proposed to make into a botanical garden where the students could study agriculture at first hand
in a practical way. He carried on the school for several years and as administrator of the Vance estate sold the
property to Omer Tousey.
The old frame house back of the Methodist church on New street was occupied by Amos Lane as a residence in his
palmy days, and was probably built early in the last century. His law office was on High street next door to the
Methodist Episcopal church, and the front of it up to the first story is the same frame that composed the office.
THE TOWN COUNCIL.
It is recorded that on the first of April, 1833, pursuant to an official call, the qualified voters of the town
of Lawrenceburg met at the tavern of Jesse Hunt for the purpose of electing a president of the town board and five
members of the town council. Fifty six of the qualified voters of the town were present and voted, electing David
V. Culley president of the council, and George Tousey, John Shook, Thomas Palmer, John Saltmarsh and James W. Hunter
councilmen. These held their offices for a term of one year and were elected to succeed Arthur St. Clair Vance,
president; Thomas Palmer, John Saltmarsh, D. V. Culled and Jabez Percival councilmen. At that time Charles Spooner,
grandfather of Ex Senator John C. Spooner, of Wisconsin, was clerk of the board and remained in that position for
several years afterward. David V. Colley was president of the board until April, 1837; he was followed by Green
Sparks, who served until November, 1837, when he resigned and was succeeded by William Brown, who in turn was succeeded
by Philip L. Spooner, who served until April, 1839.
Isaac Dunn was president of the board of the town council following Spooner from April, 1839, until April, 1840,
and was succeeded by William Steele, who served until April, 1843, when he gave up the presidency to Jeremiah Crosby,
who served until April, 1846. At that time the town was granted a city charter and David Macy was elected its first
mayor. Mr. Macy served as mayor until April, 1849, when he gave up the position to Sidney L. Sandford, who was
mayor until July, 1850, when he resigned and was succeeded by Jabez S. Ferris, who served until July, 1852, and
was followed by Jeremiah Crosby, who served until July, 1855. Joseph McGranahan served from 1855 to May, 1856,
and was followed by James H. Swope until May, 1857, who was succeeded by John Schwartz, who served the city from
May, 1857, to May, 1861; he was succeeded by Francis Riddell, who served until October, 1861, when the place was
declared vacant, Mr. Riddell having gone into the army.
Following Mayor Riddell the council elected John F. Richards to fill the unexpired term and then he was elected
continuously until May, 1869, when James H. Swope succeeded him, serving two years, until May, 1871. Mayor Swope
was succeeded by Richards, who served for two years, giving way in May, 1873, to Johann J. Hauck, who served three
terms, until May, 1879, when he in turn was succeeded by George M. Roberts, who was mayor for six years, until
May, 1885, giving way in turn to William H. O'Brien, who was mayor until 1894, when he was succeeded by Thomas
Winegardner, who served four years, until 1898. In 1898 William H. O'Brien was again called to the position and
was mayor until 1902, giving way to Charles J. Lang, who served until May, 1904, when he in turn gave up the position
to Edwin M. Lee, who resigned in. September and by virtue of the state law, Joseph F. Frazer, city clerk, was made
the mayor. Mr. Frazer served until September, 1906, when he was succeeded by Estal G. Bielby, who was mayor until
January 1, 1910, and was succeeded by Leonard Axby, who served until January 1, 1914, when he gave way to Estal
G. Bielby, who is now mayor.
The city has had some very able men at the head of its government, and its citizens may well be proud of the list
herewith given. As the city grows older and the state laws relative to city affairs become more strict, the amount
of legislation transacted in council sessions grows more and moire lengthy and of greater importance.
When the town government was first installed it was the custom, and perhaps the law, to issue a call for an election
signed by the president of the board for an election some certain evening. The meeting would be much after the
fashion of the political caucus of the present day, or the Massachusetts town meeting. They would assemble and
a chairman would be selected: the candidates placed in nomination and balloted for. In the meeting of April 1,
1833. it was stated that the meeting was legally called and fifty six qualified voters were present and the result
was as stated that D. V. Culler was duly elected president of the board to serve for one year. This method seemed
to have continued up to the time the town was given a charter as a city, when the office of mayor was filled by
an election the same as it is today.
In 1830 John McPike was the president of the town council and under date of March 17 of that year he advertised.
in the capacity of president, for bids for the construction of a wharf for the embryo city. said wharf to be between
Walnut and Short streets. John P. Dunn also advertised. as the clerk of the town, that there would be an election
held on the evening of the first Monday in April, at the house of Jesse Dunn. for the purpose of electing a president
of the council and five select councilmen.
DONATION TO THE RAILROAD COMPANY.
In 1835, when the railway fever was strong, and George H. Dunn was endeavoring to secure money sufficient to
finance the road, a meeting was called which was attended by a number of representative citizens, at which meeting
a resolution was unanimously adopted that the town council be requested to appropriate the sum of three thousand
three hundred and fifty dollars, which was to be donated to the railway company with the understanding that it
was to be used altogether within the corporation limits in constructing fills and culverts. It was met by the usual
counter, which was in the shape of a petition urging the town officials not to donate a cent until it was clearly
understood that the engineer had made a survey and the estimate of the cost filed. This was also signed by a number
of representative citizens, thus showing that the business of "knocking" was abroad in Lawrenceburg even
at that early day.
The select council and its president voted the three thousand three hundred and fifty dollars in stock at their
next meeting, with the proviso that it be used in construction work within the town corporation. At the meeting
of council that ratified the action of the railway meeting, the following persons were present and endorsed the
action of the council: Asa Smith, Edward Hunt, J. H. Brower, William Tate, T. L. Percival, Isaac Protzman, J. P.
Dunn, D. Springer, William Brown, Omer Tousey, Philip L. Spooner, Walter Armstrong, James Salmon, George Cable,
J. Rees, John Wymond, Morgan Welsh, David Guard, James Jones, Isaac Dunn, John Binegar, John Saltmarsh, George
W. Lane, John Ferris, George Tousey, Jacob P. Dunn, Arthur St. Clair Vance, George H. Dunn and Ezra Ferris; twenty
nine in all. The monied men of the town and many of the wealthy farmers of the vicinity were heartily in favor
of building the road, and if it had not been for the stringent financial situation that came on shortly after the
contracts were let at several points, the road would have been completed at that time some fourteen years previous
to its final completion. What would have resulted in Dearborn county, by having a railway to enter the rich farming
country in central Indiana, in the way of trade and commercial activity, is hard to decide at this length of time
since it was attempted.
At the time that George H. Dunn and others were agitating the proposition of building a railway from Lawrenceburg
to Indianapolis, the railway business was in its infancy. There were only three or four railways in the United
States and they were short ones. No one even dreamed of the great trunk lines of the present day and George H.
Dunn and others favoring the project were thought by many to be dreamers only. Looking hack at it from the present
it is easily seen that if the railway had been pushed to completion at that time it would have redounded to the
advantage of Lawrenceburg more than can even now be estimated. To show the interet taken in the project at that
time and that Lawrenceburg had the usual per cent. of objectors in those days; there is appended here the doings
of the town selectmen of the time:
A DIVISION OF SENTIMENT.
"Thursday, June 2, 1835. Council met pursuant to adjournment. Present, D. V. Cully, president; J. W. Hunter,
D. Nevitt, George Tousey, Jame M. Darragh and John Saltmarsh. Mr. Hunter, from committee on tax, reported the assessment
as made by and under the authority of the marshal amounting to two hundred and twenty two thousand four hundred
and eighty seven dollars, and same was considered formal and accepted by council. Mr. Hunter presented the proceedings
of a meeting of a respectable portion of the citizens of the town of Lawrenceburg held May 22, 1835, requesting
the council to subscribe a certain portion of stock to enable the Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis Railroad Company
to construct said railroad within the limits of said town, which, with a remonstrance presented by J. M. Darragh,
signed by L. W. Johnson and others, after having been read were laid on the table and ordered spread on the minutes.
Minutes of a meeting of the citizens of Lawrenceburg, as presented by J. W. Hunter to the select council, as follows:
" 'On motion of Major J. P. Dunn it was unanimously resolved that George H. Dunn, Esquire, preside over the
meeting and Arthur St. Clair Vance act as secretary of said meeting. On motion of J. P. Dunn it was resolved unanimously,
the question being taken by the ayes and nays of all the citizens present; that the select Council of our town
be requested to subscribe three thousand three hundred and fifty dollars of stock in the Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis
Railroad Company, to be paid in four installments, six, twelve, eighteen and twenty four months from the 28th of
last February on the same principle some individual subscriptions have been received, and that the money be applied
within the corporation of Lawrenceburg; and that the ayes and nays of the citizens present be required.
" 'On motion of Isaac Dunn, resolved that a committee of ten be appointed to go round among the citizens and
obtain the sense of the citizens on the subject of the foregoing resolution; and the meeting adjourned sine die.
George H. Dunn, chairman; Arthur St. Clair Vance, secretary.
" 'On the resolution to subscribe three thousand three hundred and fifty dollars of stock in said railroad
the ayes were: John Weaver, Joseph Boon, N. Sparks, G. Sparks, Wrexhan West, W. B. Snyder, E. F. Test, John Gattenby,
H. McNeely, Reuben Hathaway, Cyrus Clarke, Moses Seeds, Ellis Brown, Eph Sutton, Milton Beach, Andrew Morgan, W.
T. Chappell, John McPike, Samuel Craft, John Bowen, Joseph Daniels, Enos Musgrove, James Thompson, Jesse Coishire,
E. Morgan, A. R. Hinkley, W. A. Rodney, C. R. West, J. Ferris, Jabez Percival, James Cummins, Ephraim Hollister,
V. M. Cole, D. V. Culley, D. S. Major, Enoch D. John, Jothan Clarke, John Lawrence, Silas Richardson, Uriel Maxwell,
Alex McPherson, Horace Whitney, David Nevitt, Samuel Johnson, Alex Sugur, William Johnson, Isaac Lathrop, Jr.,
Davis Woodward, Joseph Sutton, W. C. Stewart, Ira Hill, Abe Osborn, A. Horton, James Walden, W. S. Durbin, Joseph
Groff, Elisha McWethy, W. H. Vaughn and N. Covell.'
"The remonstrance which was filed against the proposed subscription, as presented by J. M. Darragh, was as
" `To the president and select council of the town of Lawrenceburg. We, the undersigned citizens of the town
of Lawrenceburg, do respectfully represent to your honorable body that we have understood that you have been requested
by a part of the citizens to subscribe, in the name of the corporation, the sum of three thousand three hundred
and fifty dollars shares of stock in the Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis Railroad Company, for the purpose of commencing
the embankment for said railroad at a point from said town of Lawrenceburg. We therefore respectfully request your
honorable body not to subscribe for any stock until the survey shall be completed, its location fixed and the estimates
reported. (Signed). L. W. Johnson, F. Lucas, George Johnson, Daniel Bedford, W. H. Runyon, George W. Ward, Thomas
Blythe, Samuel Packer, T. C. Shaw, Joseph Fitch, William Cook, Elias Conklin, John Garnett, Richard Orchard, A.
H. Dill, J. M. Darragh, T. Percival, Hamilton Smith, A. Pugh, Robert Bryant, Jabez Percival. James H. Lane, Morgan
Welsh, Samuel Kincaid, John D. Crontz, David Spurgin, John Dymond, Elijah Bower, Jesse olcher, Evan Watkins, John
S. Percival. W. H. Davidson, Warren Kincaid, J. West, Henry Pierce, Jones McLester, James Dill, Edward B. Hunt,
David Nevitt, John Goddard, W. C. Stewart, John C. Craig, Harris Fitch and A. W. Thompson.' "
ADDITIONS TO THE CITY.
The original plat of the town of Lawrenceburg comprised all that portion of the present city that lies between
Mulberry Row, as it was then called, to Elm Row on the east, and Partition Lane on the north, to the Ohio river.
Besides this there were north of Partition Lane, extending along the entire north of the town, out lots numbering
from 21 to 55. As the years sped and other promoters saw opportunities, other plats or additions were added to
the town. The first attempt of the kind was done with the idea of laying out another and a separate town. Pinckney
James, afterwards of Rising Sun, about 1809, purchased the land where that part of the city of Lawrenceburg called
Newtown lies, and platted it. He gave the name of Edenborough to his proposed town, and meeting with no demand
for lots, in the year 1819 sold the ground to Stephen Ludlow, George Weaver, John Weaver and Thomas Porter. This
included the pond and on this side of the depression to Tate street. The exact description was from Tate street
in a direct line to the meanderings of Tanners creek, to a point where the north line of the old graveyard struck
it, thence east to where the old fence north and south used to divide the new addition from the city dirt lot.
Isaac Dunn being elected a member of the Legislature then meeting at Corydon, got the 'town of Edenborough vacated.
But some years afterwards a demand being found for lots in that locality, Stephen Ludlow, who was already a large
lot owner in the original town of Lawrenceburg, had the old plat, with the exception of the two southern tiers
of lots, re-recorded, and reinstated as a town under the statute and then incorporated as an addition to the town
of Lawrenceburg. The new addition consisted of lots from 1 to 128 and provided for a park and a lot for school
purses. The re-recording of the plat was done on April 6, 1819.
It was several years after this plat was filed before other additions were added. In 1831 was added what was called
Elliott's addition, which was a few lots at the foot of Elm street. In 1835 Elliott added several more in the same
locality. In 1835, Stephen Ludlow filed a plat for the extension of Short street to the wharf. In 1839 W. T. Chappell
made an addition laying off some lots extending from Short street north of Center. Guard, Dunn and Gibson's addition
was also added about the same time. Other additions were Morgan and Spooner's, Enoch B. John's, Daniel S. Major's
first and second additions; David Guard and Jabez Percival's addition, Pius Frederick's addition; Eichelberger
and Lewis' addition; Omer Tousey's addition and George H. Dunn's addition, Ross's addition, Ludlow's extension
and Hornberger's addition.
In the original plat it was provided that a cemetery was to be laid out at the west end of High street, joining
Mulberry Row. This was used for a number of years, but the plat filed by Isaac Dunn in April, 1819, provided for
a cemetery which seemed to be a better location; and the first burying ground was in later years abandoned, and
the latter was used for that purpose until the new cemetery of Greendale was laid out in 1867. Since that time
the burials in the old cemetery have gradually ceased until now it is only occasionally that a burial is made there.
The flood of recent years has inundated it and the monuments have been badly wrecked, which further hastened its
abandonment as a cemetery.
The blacksmith, the carpenter and joiner, the shoemaker and the tailor, represented, in general, the manufacturing
interests of Lawrenceburg up to the decade between 1830 and 1840. During that period internal improvements became
the watchword in the state and was an issue between the political parties of the time. The building of the Whitewater
canal and the unsuccessful attempt of George H. Dunn and others to build the Lawrenceburg & Indianapolis railway,
together with the advent of the state bank. aroused among the people a great interest in their ability to manufacture
articles in a larger way for the trade. It was realized that the town possessed advantages as a distributing point
and at once the manufacturing interests were stimulated. About the first to engage in it was Enoch D. John, who
erected a flouring mill at the foot of Elm street, where he availed himself of the water power derived from the
wasteway of the canal. In connection with Dr. C. G. W. Comegys, afterwards of Cincinnati, he built a three hundred
barrel flour mill. A small distillery that would make two barrels of whiskey per week was erected, in 1809, near
the present site of the W. P. Squibb & Company plant, by Isaac Dunn and Stephen Ludlow. This concern seems
to have been abandoned in a short time. The Hobbs distillery was destroyed by fire in 1839, but was rebuilt by
Hobbs & Craft soon after. It was again destroyed by fire in 1850 and never rebuilt. Other distilleries have
since been erected and run very successfully, until today Lawrenceburg is known far and wide as one of the most
successful locations for the manufacture of alcohol and spirits in the country.
OTHER MANUFACTURING PLANTS.
The manufacture of furniture was, for a period, an important part of the manufacturing interests of the city.
The E B. Dobell Furniture Company, with a manufacturing plant in Greendale and warerooms in Lawrenceburg, was established
in 1863. It was destroyed by fire in 1873, but was rebuilt at once and continued in operation for ten years longer,
when Mr. Dobell getting old, retired. The Miami Valley Furniture Company, with a capital stock of twenty thousand
dollars, which was afterwards increased to forty thousand dollars, was organized in 1868. The stockholders were
George Hodel, Jr., John Christena, Henry F. Wencke, Adam Schleicher, George Schleicher, Gustav Schoenberger, Herman
H. Woehla, John F. Sembach, Philip Dexheimer, George Hodei, Sr., Johann J. Hauck, Samuel Dickinson, John Bookster,
Levin B. Lewis and Alexander Beckman. The officers of the company were George Hodel, Jr., president; Harris Bateman,
secretary; Levin B. Lewis, treasurer. The company erected the extensive building now a part of the James &
Meyer Buggy Company's plant, and continued a successful business until about the year 1888, when it discontinued.
The Lawrenceburg Furniture Company was organized on February 13, 1868, and had at its start a capital stock of
seven thousand dollars. This was increased to sixty three thousand two hundred and fifty dollars in 1876, by successive
votes of the directory. The officers when first organized were Conrad Sanders, president; Chris Lommel, secretary
and treasurer; Frederick Kleinhans, superintendent. This concern continued in business until along in the nineties,
when it too closed out.
The Dearborn Furniture Company was organized in 1873 with a capital stock of eighteen thousand dollars. It erected
a three story building on the lot that had formerly belonged to the father of W. T. Durbin (W. S. Durbin), now
the property of the G. H. Bishop Saw Works. This plant was in business only a few years, when it dissolved, and
the factory was used by the Lawrenceburg Chair Company. It continued for only a short time and was purchased by
the George H. Bishop & Company, saw manufacturers, who have used it as part of their plant ever since.
The Miami Stove Works was located at the upper end of William street, between the tracks of the Big Four and
the Baltimore & Ohio railways. It was established by Samuel L. Yourtee & Company. The city of Lawrenceburg
donated to this concern twenty seven thousand dollars. Shortly after it was erected the firm made an assignment
and a stock company purchased the plant, with Fred Naeher, president; John E. Warneford, vice president; Benjamin
Ruthman, secretary. The concern was very prosperous for a time, employing as many as one hundred and fifty men,
but misfortune overtook them and they closed out. The plant was shortly afterward taken over by A. D. Cook, as
a place for manufacturing well supplies. The main building burned and Mr. Cook removed his plant to Greendale.
The buildings were sold to the Batesville Veneer and Lumber Company, who now occupies it.
Cigar factories were a source of much commercial business to the city during the decade ending with 1880. Jacob
Rief & Brother ran a large factory for the manufacture of cigars on the corner of Walnut and New streets. They
commenced business in September, 1869, and continued it until about 1885, when it was gradually discontinued. William
Huber commenced the manufacture of cigars in 1866. He continued the business very profitably for several years
but gradually closed out, and several years before his death. in 1905, had entirely discontinued the manufacture.
The Lawrenceburg Woolen Mill Company was organized in February, 1866, with a capital of fifty thousand dollars.
Its president was E. S. Biasdel; secretary, E. D. Moore; directors, E. C. Hayes, Walter Hayes. John H. Gaff, Isaac
Dunn, E. S. Biasdel, Levitt B. Lewis and C. B. Burkam. They purchased the site opposite the court house and erected
the present three story building. The venture proved unprofitable and it suspended in 1870.
The Lawrence Gas Works was organized in 1868 with a capital stock of twenty eight thousand six hundred dollars.
Its first board of directors was John H.' Gaff, Theodore Gazlay, Omer T. Stockman, Zephaniah Heustis, Andrew A.
Helfer, J. Giphard, J. B. Shephard and John Hornberger. The first gas was used for lighting the city, October 12,
1868. This concern was several years ago taken over by the present management.
When Captain Vance laid out the city of Lawrenceburg he stated in his filing that he had provided for a cemetery
adjacent to the plat and adjoining it to the south and west. This was the cemetery at the west end of High street,
just below Mulberry. It was used as a burial place from the time the town was laid out until after the addition
of Newtown was added by Isaac Dunn. Even after that, and until as late as 1840 and perhaps later, the site was
used. But it gradually came into disuse and the cemetery in Newtown was the burying ground up until the time when
Greendale cemetery was incorporated in 1865. Since that the Newton cemetery has also gradually been abandoned,
until at present only a few of the lot owners bury there. The Newtown cemetery, it was found, was subject to overflow,
and on that account was not desirable for a burying place for the dead. Yet the early residents are all buried
there. The tombstone of Capt. Samuel C. Vance can be found in a conspicuous place. The floods of recent years have
wrecked many of the monuments and few of those buried have descendants to look after them.
On account of the smallness of the Newtown cemetery and its being subject to overflow, the citizens of Lawrenceburg,
as the place grew in wealth, population and importance, saw that a larger and more desirable location was needed.
Accordingly a number of the citizens of Lawrenceburg organized and purchased thirty acres of ground from Joseph
Hayes north of the town of Greendale (now a part of the village); on a beautifully located high bottom overlooking
the valley. It was tastefully laid out by Benjamin Grove, an engineer from Louisville, Kentucky, and the landscape
planning was done by a Mr. Ihle, who was an artist in such matters. The articles of association of the original
incorporation in their first two sections state the object as follows:
"Section 1. Under the laws of the state of Indiana, Ezra G. Hayes, Andrew A. Helfer, Edward D. Moore, Thomas
J. Lucas, Myron H. Harding, Omer T. Stockman, William Eichelberger, George Huschart, Zephaniah Heustis, John Ferris,
Kendal M. Lewis, Henry H. Meyer, Levin B. Lewis, E. Sparks Biasdel, John H. Gaff, Joseph H. Burkam, Alexander Beckman,
DeWitt C. Fitch, John Anderegg, Theodore Gazlay and Daniel S. Major, agree to associate themselves together, and
they, or their successors, are hereby associated as a body politic, a perfect corporation under the name and title
of the Greendale Cemetery for providing within appropriate distance of the City of Lawrenceburg, Dearborn county,
Indiana, suitable grounds for the burial of the dead.
"Section 2. The distinct and irrevocable principle in which this association is founded, and to remain forever,
except as hereinafter allowed, is that the entire funds arising from the sale of burial lots and the proceeds of
any investments of said funds shall be, and they are specifically dedicated, to the purchase and improvement of
the grounds for the cemetery; and keeping them durably and permanently inclosed and in perpetual repair for all
future time; including all incidental expenses for approach to the cemetery and the proper management of the same,
and that no part of such funds shall, as dividends or profit in any manner, inure to the corporators."
The desirability of the location and the taste with which it was laid out, together with the strict management,
has made it a very desirable place for the burial of the dead; and the citizens of Dearborn county, that live conveniently
near have purchased lots from the association and bury their dead here. It has been counted one of the most beautiful
spots for burial purposes in the county. The first person buried in the new location was Hugh F. Smith, who was
laid away on September 19, 1867.
Each year the incorporators of this cemetery elect, from their number, a board of managers consisting of seven
members. They in turn organize by electing a president, secretary and treasurer. The first board of managers was
elected on August 25, 1866, and were E. G. Hayes, T. J. Lucas, A. Beckman, John Anderegg, A. A. Helfer, O. T. Stockman
and D. W. C. Fitch. They organized by electing E. G. Hayes, president; Henry H. Meyer, secretary, and Omer T. Stockman,
treasurer. One of the local papers of the time had this to say in regard to the incorporation of the cemetery:
"The necessity of this community is a first class cemetery. Experience has taught us not to establish cemeteries
on too small a scale, or in localities where it is neither possible nor desirable to extend them. The cemetery
for this community must be commenced large enough; must have proper management, and must be established upon a
plan making it perpetual. The Greendale Cemetery Association has been called into existence for this purpose. The
articles of association, as published, will give as good an an idea of its object as can be given. The citizens
of Lawrenceburg and vicinity are now being called upon to assist with their means in this undertaking. Let none
stand back, but let each do all that is in his power to make this cemetery a success. All that is necessary is
to raise sufficient means to buy the place, and pay for surveying and laying it off into lots; when a sale of lots
will enable the board of managers to go ahead with the improvements. All monies subscribed will be considered as
a loan to the association, bearing six per cent. interest, and the amounts so subscribed may be applied to the
purchase of lots. A more desirable location cannot be found. The soil is dry and of a sandy quality and the surface
slightly undulating. The distance from the city is about a mile and a half, just about far enough."
The association spent nearly twenty two thousand dollars in the purchase of grounds and ornamenting and laying
out the same. Yet in the report of 188o an indebtedness of only three hundred and sixty four dollars and one cent
was reported. This was all paid the next year. The present corporators of the cemetery are Jacob M. Bauer, A. D.
Cook, P. J. Emmert, W. S. Fagaly, George Fahibush, E. G. Hayes, E. P. Hayes, W. N. Hauck, J. F. Hornberger, Frank
J. Henn, Henry Hodell, O. S. Jaquith, George Kunz, Omer T. Ludlow, W. H. O'Brien, Victor Oberting, John Stahl,
George H. Wood and George Willers. The board of managers are J. M. Bauer, P. J. Emmert, O. T. Ludlow, A. D. Cook,
Henry Hodell, W. H. O'Brien and George Kunz. The president is Omer T. Ludlow; secretary, Archibald Shaw; treasurer,
William H. O'Brien. E. G. Hayes, venerable and vigorous, the first president of the organization in 1866, is now,
at the age of eighty eight, the president of the board of corporators. The concern has been managed well and its
financial condition such that it will be able to perpetuate itself as the years go by. On the 18th of August, 1915,
there had been forty one hundred and eighteen burial permits issued and that many persons had been laid away in
this city of the dead.
Abstractors-James H. Ewbank.
Agents-C. D. Langham, Big Four; H. H. Dixon, Baltimore & Ohio; M. E. Ferris, People's Telephone Association;
Charles Leist, Wells-Fargo and American Express; C. E. Baisley, Western Union Telegraph Company.
Attorneys-E. G. I3ielby, Givan Givan, W. N. Hauck, Russe & Russe, C. J. Lang, Thomas S. Cravens, Ira N. Miller,
Charles A. Lowe, Cornet & Hayes.
Auto garages-Ed Vogelgesang, V. J. Yingling.
Auto dealers-Dearborn Auto Company.
Bakeries-Conrad Kraus, A. Hoffineier.
Barbers-Richard Nelson, Edward Seekatz, Louis Kirsch, Charles W. Dawson, Robert Kirsch.
Boat house-C. F. Billups.
Blacksmiths-Charles Rabe, John Knippenberg, J. R. Meyer.
Butchers-William F. Fox, Peerless Meat Market; Blyth & Ruth.
Banks-Dearborn National Bank, People's National Bank, German-American Bank.
Building socities-German Perpetual Building Association, Dearborn County Loan and Building Association.
Bands-Eagle Band, Carl Roehrig, leader: Lawrenceburg Military Band, Henry Junker, leader; Junior Military Band,
Miss Lottie Harry, leader.
Confectioners-A. R. Klepper, Ernest Kestner, Herman Klepper, Kirtley Baker, Emma Kimmel.
Clothing-Clyde Predmore, I. Frankel, E. Dober, N. Frankel & Company, Gordon Underselling Store.
Coal dealers-Frederick Wesler, People's Coal Company, Schneijer Coal Company.
Druggists-A. F. Schmidt, C. W. Fitch, L. Lommel, McCullough Drug Company.
Department stores-C. W. Decker, Ernest G. Oertling.
Dry goods-Philip J. Emmert, C. McKWim, C. M. Jackson, W. M. Corbin, F. C. Heck, A. Kress, S. B. Harris, William
Dentists-Edwin J. French, Samuel E. Harryman, G. M. Terrill, Guy H. Smith.
Factories-James & Meyer Buggy Company, Ohio Valley Coffin Company, Lawrenceburg Roller Mills Company, A. Wieman
& Company, William F. Ritzmann, Batesville Lumber and Veneer Company, Frohlicher Shoe Company, Bauer Cooperage
Company, Gamier Brewery, James Walsh & Company, rectifying house; Suer Brothers, brick manufacturers; George
H. Bishop & Company, Lawrenceburg Tool Company; Lawrenceburg Gas Company.
Groceries- G. H. Wood, O. A. Stockman, James McGranahan, Schleicher Brothers, John A. Bobrink, Louis H. Helmuth,
Glockner's Cash Grocery, Adam Vesenmeier, Thomas Vaughan, H. J. Bechtel, H. G. Warneford, Elmer Haversack, George
Brill, L. & M. Wolff.
Hardware-E. Barrott & Son, C. O. Kemp.
Hotels-Reagan House, Peter Reagan, proprietor; Nees House, Thomas Nees, proprietor; New Central.
Jewelers-John F. Hornberger, I. N. Biddle, R. Kupferchmidt.
Insurance-Miller & Elder, A. J. Hassner, W. S. Fagaly, O. A. Stockman, Grace Walker, Frances Jones, Earl P.
Gooden, Edward Hayes, Edward Metzger, Julius Schneider.
Electricians-Decker & Hauck, F. C. Dile.
Granite works-Henn & Huschart.
Feed store-William W. Bihr.
Hay and Grain-George T. Bateman.
Laundry-Favorite Steam Laundry.
Livery and Undertaking-Fitch Brothers.
Livery-R. S. Jackson.
Lumber-J. C. Wright & Sons, Lawrenceburg Lumber Company.
Merchant tailors-Kreig Brothers.
Millinery-Miss Fannie McGranahan, Bryant Sisters.
Newspapers-Press Printing Company, Register Printing Company. The News.
Physicians-E. J. Emmett, O. S. Jaquith, F. M. Mueller, A. T. Fagaly, George F. Smith, H. H. Dwyer, E. D. Bateman.
Pool rooms-R. B. Moore.
Photograph gallery-George O. Lane.
Rags and old iron-Louis Schustermann.
Restaurants-L. W. Gramer, T. T. Miller, L. H. Aylor.
Stoves and tinware-John Roehm, F. Stuber & Son.
Shoe store-Frederick Pfalzgraf, William G. A. Schneider, Mrs. A. Schneider, C. O. Miller, A. L. Fox, Seekatz Shoe
Shoe repairers-Schmarr Brothers, Anthony Tschaen.
Shoe and boot makers-Emanuel West.
Real estate-Warren Tebbs.
Theaters-The Gem, Terrilla & Vesenmeier, The Liedertafel Opera House.
Veterinarian-J. L. Axhy.