RENAMING THE STREETS OF CONNERSVILLE.
In May, 1866, the names of the streets of Connersville were changed as follows: Main to Eastern avenue: Monroe
to Central avenue: Tanner to Western avenue; Short to First; Baltimore and Boundary to Second; High, to Third:
Madison to Fourth: Harrison to Fifth: Head to Sixth: Maple to Seventh: Mill to Eighth.
CONNERSVILLE CREATED A CITY.
Hidden away in the recesses of the city clerk's office in the town hall is a musty old document, yellow with
age, which is responsible for the advancement of the village of Connersville to the city of the same name. It is
about four feet long, of the usual legal cap paper size in width, and contains the names of three hundred and eleven
citizens of the village of Connersville who signed the petition which was presented to the town board asking that
steps be taken to apply for a city charter. The document is headed as follows:
To the honorable board of trustees of the town of Connersville. county of Fayette, state of Indiana:
We, the undersigned city voters in said corporation. do hereby respectfully petition your honorable body to take
such action as shall in your wisdom seem proper to enable said corporation to secure a city charter puruant to
the laws of said state. And for your welfare your petitioners will ever pray.
Dated this fifteenth day of May, 1869.
The first signer to this petition was Daniel Rench and the last was William Newkirk. It may be said that practically
every prominent citizen of the village signed the document. The result of this petition on the part of the voters
was the ordering of an election by the village council.
The election was held on June 16, 1869, at which three hundred of the voters out of three hundred sixty five expressed
themselves in favor of a city charter. The city charter was procured and adopted, the city ordered divided into
three wards, and July 5 appointed as the day for the election of city officers.
The election resulted in the choice of William H. Beck as mayor; C. D. Smith, marshal; Henry F. Kane, clerk; John
Uhl, treasurer; A. H. Wood, assessor; council for the First Ward, Train Caldwell and F. Martin; for the Second
Ward, John R. McCabe and Lee Thalheimer; Third Ward, E. F. Claypool and John S. Wilson. The mayors since have been:
John P. Kerr, 1871; W. C. Forrey, 1872; Gilbert Trusler, 1876; W. C. Forrey, 1877; Charles Roehl, 1880; Charles
Murray, 1884; James M. McIntosh, 1886-88; William F. Downs, 1890-92: Hyatt L. Frost. 1894-96; Thomas J. Clark,
1899-1904; Finly H. Gray, 1904-06; Frederic I. Barrows, 1906-10; Finly H. Gray, 1910-11; John S. Hankins, 1911-14;
Philip Braun, 1914.
In 1917 the city officials were: Philip Braun, mayor; Charles E. Hud¬son, treasurer; W. L. Schaefer, clerk;
R. J. Greenwood, engineer; G. Edwin Johnston, attorney. Councilmen: First ward, W. J. Walsh; second ward, Charles
Rieder; third ward, A. T. Pigman; fourth ward, John G. Krasser. Councilmen at large: James A. Chrismer and John
J. Peters. The police department has J. R. Gillespie as chief and six patrolmen; the fire department has two stations,
with G. W. Woolley, fire chief, and nine men. Board of health: Dr. J. M. Sample, Dr. Frank Chitwood and Dr. V.
D. Ludwick. Superintendent of cemetery, Charles A. Rieman.
THE TOWN HALL.
In 1848 the commissioners of Fayette county granted the trustees of the town of Connersville permission to erect
on the west part of the public square a public building for the use of the town officials. The first story was
to be utilized for a town hall and engine house; the second and third stories by any moral or philanthropic association
of the city or county that was then, or would thereafter be, recognized by the laws of the state, provided that
the consent of the president and trustees of the town was first obtained.
The building was erected by the citizens, the Society of the Sons of Temperance and the Masonic order each paying
one third of the cost. Sherman Scofield undertook the erection of the building for four thousand eight hundred
dollars. Each of the three parties was to finish their respective portions. The first floor contains the city offices;
the second was used by the Sons of Temperance, and the third by the Masonic order. After the Sons of Temperance
dropped their organization the Masons took over the second floor. In 1906, and again in 1914, the town hall was
remodeled and enlarged and new offices for the efficient conduct of the city's business erected. The building provides
accommodations for mayor's office, clerk's and treasurer's office, city engineer's office, and court room.
A city is in a peculiar sense a business corporation. It must light and water itself; carry away its waste products;
provide means of protecting itself against fires; guard the lives and property of its citizens; build sidewalks
and streets for them; and as in the case of some cities, means are even provided for a place to bury citizens after
death. In many cities part of these various functions are in the hands of private persons, while in others the
cities themselves own and operate them. Every city has its own police and fire departments, and in the case of
Connersville the city owns the waterworks. Naturally the city installed its own sewerage system, and has built
all of, its own streets and sidewalks. The telephone system in Connersville, as in all other cities in Indiana,
is in the hands of a private corporation.
The oldest cemetery of the city is under municipal management, and a part is set aside for those who are unable
to purchase a burying lot. The city hospital does not belong to the city, but to the county as a whole. The following
pages are devoted to a detailed discussion of the various public and semi public utilities of Connersville.
Up to the decade between 1830 and 1840 the villagers protected property against fire as best they could without
the aid of a fire engine, the old bucket line system being then in vogue. Toward the latter part of the decade
the first fire engine of the village was purchased of a Mr. Wadley, of Oxford, Ohio, and was called "Pluto."
The "Pluto" was a small engine and consisted of a rude device for throwing water placed in a box or bed,
the whole being mounted on four small wheels. The water was thrown into the box by a line of men with buckets extending
from the nearest supply. From the box the water was pumped by hand brakes and thrown upon the fire.
The second fire engine introduced into the village was the "Ocean," which was contracted for on June
7, 1848, between the board of trustees of Connersville, and D. L. Farnham & Company, of Cincinnati, Ohio. The
"Ocean" was what was known as "Farnham's patent horiontal engine," having a row boat movement,
working horizontally without levers. It was a two stream suction engine, worked by men occupying a sitting posture
as oarsmen in a boat. The cost of it was twelve hundred dollars. These two engines were the property of the city
authorities up to 1870. On the purchase of the "Pluto" and the "Ocean," volunteer companies
were organized and kept up during the use of the engines.
On the organization of a city government in 1869, and the installation of The first waterworks, steps were taken
looking to a better system of protecting property from fire. On January 3, 1870, an ordinance to this end was established
providing for a fire department, to consist of sixty able bodied male citizens, to be divided into four divisions
of fifteen members each - three divisions of hose and one division of hooks and ladders, each to be located in
a suitable place in the city. In accordance therewith the fire department was re-organized on January 19, 1870.
It consisted of forty eight men divided into four sections, a division of twelve men each - one hook and ladder
division, and the others, hose divisions, located as follows: One hose division on Seventh street, just west of
the canal; another on Eastern avenue, south of the railroad, and the remaining hose division and the hook and ladder
division at the city hall building. There was located at each of the hose divisions one hose reel, and at the hook
and ladder division one wagon with the necessary equipments. The department had about eighteen hundred feet of
serviceable hose on the reels and about one hundred feet of ladders with the general accompaniments. By an ordinance
established in 1875 each member of the department was to receive annually ten dollars, which was increased by another
ordinance established in 1881, to twelve dollars and a half. The number composing the department was reduced in
the latter year to forty eight. The whole department was under the supervision and management of an officer styled
the chief of the fire department, whose salary was fifty dollars a year. Since the completion of the waterworks
the system has been in successful operation.
No radical changes were made in the management of the department between 1881 and 1894. On June 20, 1894, an ordinance
provided that additional hook and ladder wagons be acquired and stationed at convenient points over the city. About
the same time a change was made in the composition of the fire department; six men were employed on full time,
that is; the city for the first time had a regular department. However, twenty four volunteer firemen were retained.
The chief's salary was fixed at five hundred dollars. An interesting feature of the department at this stage of
the city's history is the fact that the city council ordered that the first volunteer fireman present to have the
fire hose out on a call should be given a prize of two dollars and a half. How long this was continued the records
fail to state. In this same year (1894) fire alarm boxes were stationed at various points over the city, and as
the city has grown new ones have been added, the total in 1916 being thirty three.
The retention of some of the volunteers in 1894 and their work in connection with the six regularly employed firemen
does not seem to have been a complete success. Complaints were made that the volunteers were not on hand at all
times and the result of these increasing complaints was an order on the part of the city council which abolished
forever the old system of volunteer firemen. This occurred in 1899 and since then the city has had a regular body
of firemen on full time. At this time a central hose house was established on the north side of the city at Sixth
street between Central and Grand avenues.
The next chapter in the history of the department was the establishment of fire station No. 1, in 1906, in the
city hall. Fire station No. 2 was opened in 1908 at the corner of Eighteenth street and the canal. The first fire
chief under the new regime in 1906 was Ezra B. Brown, F. I. Barrows being mayor, during which administration the
fire department was kept on a nonpartisan basis.
The use of horses by the department was continued up to 1914. In July, 1914. the city, on the recommendation of
Chief Hassett, passed an ordinance abolishing horses and provided for the introduction of motor trucks. On November
30, 1914, the first motor wagon was purchased at a cost of thirty five hundred dollars for station No. I. It was
built by the McFarlan Motor Company, of Connersville. On March 8, 1915, a motor hook and ladder wagon was added
at a cost of three thousand dollars, also built by the local company. On April 5, 1915, a motor truck for station
No. 2 was provided at a cost of thirty five hundred dollars. The present value of the entire equipment is sixteen
thousand one hundred and twenty one dollars.
Chief Bassett died in the early part of 1915 and the present chief, George W. Woolley, was appointed to succeed
him. Chief Woolley was connected with the old volunteer department in the early eighties, and in those days received
the munificent sum of twelve dollars and a half a year for his services.
At station No. 1, in the town hall, are located The chief and five men; at station No. 2, Assistant Chief C. C.
Hibbs and. three men. The salary of the chief is nine hundred dollars annually; the assistant receives eight hundred
and fifty dollars; the firemen are paid sixteen dollars and fifty cents a week.
In 1916 the department responded to sixty three calls, seven of which were false alarms, leaving fifty six fires
to fight. None of these were serious, the estimated damage being about six thousand dollars. One of the fires,
in December, was supposed to be of an incendiary character and a reward of one hundred dollars was offered for
such information as would lead to the arrest and conviction of the incendiary.
One of the most serious fires in the history of Connersville occurred on the night of May 19, 1880. The coffin
factory, located in the northwestern part of the city limits, was totally destroyed causing a loss of seventy thousand
dollars. As a result more than one hundred men were thrown out of employment. In 1905 the Central Manufacturing
Company's plant at Seventh street was burned, with a loss of one hundred thousand dollars; a part of their new
plant was burned in 1917, with a loss of two hundred thousand dollars.
The council of Connersville, in September, 1869, entered into a contract with the Holly Manufacturing Company,
of Lockport, New York, for the erection of a waterworks for the city, which was intended to furnish a more efficient
and reliable fire protection, rather than with a view to revenue therefrom for water supplied for domestic purposes.
The waterworks plant was completed in January, 187o, at a cost of forty seven thousand dollars. The plant was situated
about one mile from the center of the city, built on ground bought from Wanee & Martin for five hundred dollars.
The machinery of the waterworks was propelled by power from the Connersville hydraulic ( formerly White Water)
canal. The power was so regulated that a pressure of from forty to sixty pounds was always kept up in the mains,
which was sufficient for all purposes except in case of fire; and in case of an alarm of fire the power was immediately
increased to give a pressure of seventy five to one hundred pounds. The mains were the property of the city; the
pumping station being on leased grounds. The annual cost of operating the plant ranged from three to five thousand
dollars a year, with a gross return of from two or three times this amount. The plant which was established in
1870 was in operation for forty years and was enlarged from year to year to meet the growing needs of the city.
For several years the city paid the Hydraulic Company one thousand eight hundred dollars a year for the water which
it furnished, the water for both public and private consumption being taken from the canal.
For some years prior to 1910 there was continual agitation on the part of some of the citizens for a purer water
supply. When the canal was cleaned out there were occasionally found dead animals in it, particularly about election
times, and these occurrences were sufficient to arouse the public to the need of providing water from another source.
In 1910 affairs came to a climax on the waterworks situation: the desire of the hydraulic company for more rent
was the last straw on the camel's back. The result of years of agitation and discussion was a decision on the part
of the city to build a new plant. This was done in the year 1910, the new plant being in the, eastern part of town
at Eighth and Fayette streets.
It would be a long story to tell of the building of the new plant, but it is sufficient to state that it was finally
erected, although its cost considerably exceeded the original estimate of thirty thousand dollars. This amount
was found insufficient to complete the plant and by the time the plant was complete the city had expended about
ninety thousand dollars. In 1914 the city expended ten thousand dollars on improvements. The water is derived from
wells sunk in the immediate vicinity of the plant and thus the city always has the assurance of a plentiful supply
of clear water.
At the close of the fiscal year 1916 the plant was found to be self sustaining, that is, if the interest on investment
and the amount of depreciation are not taken into consideration. Operations for the year showed that there was
a surplus of eight hundred dollars over and above bare operating expenses. Since this is a municipally owned utility
it is operated with a view to service and not for profit. The plant is in charge of James O. Massey, as superintendent.
He has a force of eight men under his charge. The clerk of the waterworks department is W. F. Michael.
The charge for domestic water service is a flat rate per opening, averaging eleven dollars and fifty cents per
annum. For manufacturing purposes the rate by meter is as follows:
Per 100 feet
Under 1,000 cubic feet
1,000 to 3,000 cubic feet
3,000 to 6,000 cubic feet
6,000 to 200,000 cubic feet
Over 200,000 cubfeet
In 1917 there were nineteen miles of water mains within the city limits.
The early records of Connersville shed no light as to whether any means existed to dispel the outdoor gloom
which comes with night fall. It is certain, however, that the old fashioned and much used oil lamp was the first
illuminant to cast its rays on the streets of the, town, and that mode of lighting continued until 1875.
Following the granting of the charter of 1869, which gave Connersville the status of a city, a gradual development
of civic enterprise ensued, one of the results being the organization of the Connersville Gas Light Company in
1875. Ground was purchased at the south end, of the city and a brick building erected, and Connersville appeared
for the first time lighted by gas on Christmas night, 1875. As the city progressed additional lights were provided
from time to time, and, finally, the municipal authorities decided to supersede the gas light by a system of electric
Early in 1887 it became evident that there was a growing desire on the part of the public to have a more modern
lighting service, inaugurated. To this end the city council passed the following ordinance on March 7, 1887.
The Thomson-Houston Electric Light. Company, or their assigns, shall have the privilege of erecting poles. stringing
wires and providing the necessary appliances in and over the streets and alleys of said city for the purpose of
supplying the citizens of said city with electric light. Said poi* appliances and wires to be so erected and strung
at such places and in such manner as will least interfere with the free use and enjoyment of said streets and alleys,
under the direction of the committee on the streets and alleys of said city. Provided, however, That such poles;
appliances and wires shall be so erected and strung as not to interfere with the use and management of the telegraph
and telephone poles and wires already erected and maintained in said streets and
This order shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.
Ordered and established this 7th day of March, 1887.
JAMES M. McINTOSH, Mayor. Attest: WILLIAM F. DOWNS, City Clerk.
However, nothing definite was done in the electric lighting matter until May 5, 1890, when the plat of the location
of lights was submitted to and approved by the council. The Connersville Electric Light Company, of which James
N. Huston was president, proceeded rapidly with constructive work, and on August 1, 1890, Connersville was electrically
lighted. The cost of the public lighting for the first month after installation was two hundred and sixty two dollars.
For December, 1916, the light cost the city seven hundred and eighty dollars and eighty seven cents:
On July 18, 1892, an order was made to the effect that on and after that date the city should be lighted throughout
the night; said order is still in force.
In January, 1917, the city was supplied by the following service: 140 six hundred candle power arc lights; 129
pedestal lights, and 20 sixty candlepower arc lights. The Hydro Electric Light Company is the present contractor.
GAS AND ELECTRICITY IN CONNERSVILLE.
The gas and electric plants of Connersville have always been in the hands of private parties, the city never
having owned either its own gas or electric plant. The history of the gas company in the city dates back more than
forty years, gas having been the means of street lighting from 1875 to 1890. The Connersville Natural Gas Company
was incorporated in, 1889 and supplied natural gas to the city until 1913, when the pressure became so low, that
the company began to make artificial gas at the plant on Sixteenth street near White Water canal. In 1914 their
plant was enlarged and the latest gas making machinery installed. On December 24, 1914, natural gas was entirely
discontinued. The company, now known as the People's Service Company, has quarters in the McFarlan building on
Sixth street. There were a few wells being drilled in the vicinity of the city, but none of them proved successful,
the natural gas used in the city being piped in from other fields. It might be mentioned in this connection that
there were a few gas wells in the western part of the county, in Fairview and Posey township, but the supply was
only sufficient for the farmers who were interested in drilling the wells. Very little, if any, gas has been piped
from the county.
Gas lighting was seen for the first time in Connersville on Christmas night, 1875. and for fifteen years it was
the only means of public lighting. The first attempt to introduce electricity was made in 1887, when the Thomson-Houston
Electric Light Company, a foreign corporation, was granted a franchise by the city council. The ordinance of: March
7, 1887, granted this company the privilege of putting in the poles and installing the wiring and other apparatus
for "the purpose of supplying the citizens of said city with electric lights.'' This company was not to install
the plant proper, but only the poles and wiring. A local company was to equip the plant. The company, however,
did not proceed with its plans, and it was not until three years later that definite steps were taken to install
THE ELECTRIC LIGHT PLANT.
On May 5, 1890, the city council granted a franchise to supply electric service to the Connersville Electric
Light Company, organized by James Huston, and by the first of the following August the plant was ready for operation.
The first plant was situated at the southern edge of the city and continued in full operation until January 1,
1917, when it became the property of the Hydro Electric Light and Power Company. However, in the meantime it had
passed out of the hands of the original owner. The plant struggled along for the first five years of its existence
and then went into the hands of a receiver. In the early part of 1895 George M. Sinks became the receiver of the
company and on March 9 of that year the entire plant was sold at a receiver's sale. The purchaser was George B.
Markle of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, who paid twenty six thousand dollars for the plant.
The new owner had the entire field to himself for the following fifteen years and during that time extended the
system to meet the growing needs of the city. The next chapter in the history of electricity in Connersville came
about as the result of the city deciding to install a new waterworks system in 1910. At the time the old waterworks
plant was discontinued, the Hydro Electric Light and Power Company, the successor of the Connersville Hydraulic
Company, and the owner of the building and part of the equipment of the old waterworks system was organized and
at once installed an electric light plant in the building which had been the home of the waterworks plant. The
first meter was installed on November 27, 1911, and within four years the company had installed more than one thousand
meters in the city.
The two electric light companies divided the field between themselves and as a result neither company was able
to make much money. It was evident that it would be for the best interests of the owners to have but one electric
light plant, but it was not until January 1, 1917, that the two systems were consolidated. On that date the Hydro
Electric Light and Power Company took over the other plant and at the time this volume went to press the old plant
was being dismantled. The Hydro Electric plant uses both water and steam power, deriving its waterpower from the
old White Water canal. The Hydro Electric plant entered into a ten year contract with the city for lighting the
streets, the contract beginning February 5, 1916.
The present sewerage system dates from 1894 and each year since that time there have been additions to the system.
It is known as the combined storm and sanitary system and with the extensions which are already proposed for 1917
it will be extended to reach practically every lot in the city. The first sanitary sewer in the city was constructed
from Seventh street south to the river in 1894 and from it laterals were extended to other parts of the city. In
1904 a combined storm and sanitary sewer was extended from Seventh street to Twenty second street. and by 1916
this was extended to remainder of the city. The system has cost the city in the neighborhood of $160,000. All the
city sewage is emptied into the old mill race at the foot of Seventh street and eventually finds its way into White
The city of Connersville had nothing but graveled or macadamized streets from the beginning of its history down
to 1902. In that year the first paving was done in the city, Central avenue being paved with brick from First to
Seventh streets. A few other streets were paved for short distances between that time and 1912 when the first concrete
paving was started. Since that year all new street paving has been concrete, the alleys being uniformly paved with
Connersville now claims to have more paved streets than any other city of its size in the state and is adding new
streets each year. This work has been of such an unusual character that it seems pertinent to list the work done
year by year since the inauguration of concrete paving in 1912. The figures have been furnished by Robert J. Greenwood,
the present city engineer, and an incumbent of the office eight of the last ten years. He has had general charge
of all the paving while in office. The year by year summary of paving follows, including the streets paved, the
distance improved and the number of square yards of improvement:
1912 - Grand avenue, Seventh to Eleventh, 6,733.03 square yards; Washington avenue, Seventh to Fifth, 1,615; Milton
pike, Eighth to Eighteenth, 10,500 Ninth street, Milton pike to Eastern, 4,365.12; Seventh street, Western to Eastern,
1913 - Grand avenue, Eleventh to Seventeenth, 8,459.46; Central avenue, South First to Fourth and Seventh to Virginia,
17,265: Eastern avenue, South First to Eleventh, 16,771,87; Eastern avenue, Eleventh to Twelfth, 1,828,51; Eighth
street, Milton pike to Eastern, 3,338.74; Sixth street, 7,444,55; Fifth street, 2,700: Fourth street, 1,035,47;
Grace alley, 350.
1914 - Third street, 4.155.94; Second street 724,39: First street, 742,50: Western avenue, 4,447.59; Mount street,
3,931,84; Illinois street, 500; Eighteenth street, 3,268.87; Summit street; 1,730; alley between Seventh and Eighth,
1915 - Grand avenue, 635.11; Rieman alley; entire alley, 469,33.
1916 - Grand avenue, Seventeenth to Twenty second, 9,742,69; Indiana avenue, Thirteenth to Twenty first, 12,079.08;
Virginia avenue, Fifteenth to Twenty first, 11,020,8; alley between Eleventh and Twelfth, 1,517,18.
The city now (1917) has 1,300,000 square feet of cement sidewalks, practically every sidewalk in the city being
so improved, The curbing and guttering totals 200,000 lineal feet.
The present police department of the city of Connersville dates from May 21, 1888, During the mayoralty of James
McIntosh the question was first agitated and the council finally passed an ordinance establishing a regular police
department, The first marshal under the ordinance was William Cotton, The ordinance gave the mayor power to appoint
a marshal and one or more policemen, and the mayor still exercises this power. At the present time the department
consists of a chief and six patrolmen,
City prisoners are kept in a cell in the town hall pending a trial, but if a jail sentence is given the prisoners
are incarcerated in the county jail, The mayor presides over all police court proceedings, There is no regular
time for sessions of the mayor's court, the sessions being held as cases may arise, The prosecution in the city
court is in the hands of the circuit prosecutor, James A. Clifton, and his deputy, Frank M. Edwards, In 1916 there
were two hundred and five cases tried by the mayor, The amount received in fines amounted to seven hundred and
seventy eight dollars and fifty cents.
J. R. Gillespie has been chief of the department Vince 1914. The annual salary of the office is eight hundred dollars.
The patrolmen receive sixteen dollars and fifty cents a week, The headquarters of the department is in the town
hall, The city has no patrol wagon, motorcycle men or mounted police of any kind, although there is considerable
agitation at the present time to add a patrol wagon,
To move apace with the industrial and civic development of Connersville; to provide ready means of communication
other than by mail, became a problem which could only be solved by the installation of telephone service.
In 1882, James H. Fearis, of Connersville, started the Bell telephone exchange; which was the one hundred and eighth
station opened in the United States up to the year mentioned. Fearis continued to operate the exchange for two
and one half years, at the end of which time it was sold to the Central Union Telephone Company of Chicago, At
the time of the transfer eighty subscribers were using the telephone service. The rates in those days were; for
business lines, three and one half dollars a month, and residence service was fixed at two and one half dollars.
Following the change in ownership, W. Everett Lowe was in charge of the local station for some years,
In 1895, L. Andrew Frazee, of Connersville, organized the Connersville Telephone Company, which has since been
in continuous operation, and has no local competitors. The rates are, for business service, two and one half dollars
per month, for residence, two dollars, and party wire service one and one quarter dollars per month. The company
provides facilities for long distance service, and three toll lines are also in operation. The entire plant is
owned and managed by Mr. Frazee, who, in 1917, installed new equipment costing thirty thousand dollars and acquired
a new location on Sixth street, At the end of 1916 the company had one thousand six hundred subscribers. In December,
1916. the public service commission of Indiana was asked by certain subscribers of the company to review its existing
rates, their complaint being that the present charges were excessive. The commission ordered a reduction of the
rates, which the owner either had to accept or appeal to the courts. Feeling that the decision of the commission
was unfair, Frazee applied to the courts for relief. The decision of the court resulted in the matter being referred
back to the public service commission, whose further action had not been reported when this work went to press.
As old as Connersville itself was the first place of burial, which was located on the river bank opposite Third
street; and extending above and below. For burial purposes this place was not used much after 1828; the encroachments
of the river making it necessary to remove the graves and abandon the grounds. The water now passes through what
was the first city of the dead.
The second grave yard was laid out on Western avenue, now the site of the Methodist Episcopal parsonage, and was
used until the growth of the town necessitated another change. The third site, a part of the present beautiful
cemetery, was located in 1851. It comprises about fourteen acres of land laid out and dotted over with choice evergreens,
shade trees and many elegant and costly monuments of marble and granite.
On October 8, 1851, ten acres of the cemetery were purchased by the corporation of Silas Pumphrey, Sr, and laid
out into lots the following December - it being the north part of the present grounds. The greater number of the
bodies interred in the other grave yards were removed to this cemetery. The latter has been under the care and
management of the town and city authorities from the beginning. A former superintendent, R. C, Bratten, held the
position for twenty years. Owing to this ground offering no further space for interment, it became necessary to
acquire a new site,
In 1916 Manford E. Dale donated sixty six acres, fifty five acres of which is laid out for cemetery purposes; the
value of the land was $7,500. Following Dale's benefaction, Daniel Hankins built a chapel, known as Hankins chapel,
in memory of his father and mother, and his son provided the interior furnishings. The present cemetery, known
as "Daleview," is located one mile west of Connersville, The association is called the. Dale Cemetery
Association and consists of twenty of the most prominent citizens, chosen by the lot owners. More than twenty thousand
dollars has been expended by the association and much by private parties, the Ansted mausoleum alone costing ten
thousand dollars, M. E, Dale is president; E. W. Ansted, vice president; R. N. Elliott, secretary and treasurer,
and W. M. Gregg, superintendent, A beautiful stone road leads to this cemetery.