Jennings township, named in honor of Jonathan Jennings, then governor of the state, was one of the five townships
organized by the county commissioners on February 9, 1819. As originally constituted its boundaries were as follow:
"Beginning at the southwest corner of section 16, township 13, range 13: thence north to the northwest corner
of section 21, township 14, range 13; thence east along the line dividing sections 21 and 16 to the boundary line
(Indian boundary line of 1795): thence south along said boundary to the southeast corner of fractional section
18: thence west to the place of beginning." Thus the township included, in addition to its present territory,
a considerable strip of Union county, now parts of Liberty and Harmony townships of the latter county. Upon. the
organization of Union county. January 5. 1821, Jennings township was left with its present limits.
When the county was organized, February 9, 1819, all of the land in this township had been entered with the exception
of the northeast quarter of section 15, this tract being entered by William P. and James A. Belton on November
18, 1831. The complete list of land entries of the entire township is as follows:
Township 14 North, Range 13 East.
Section 21 - Sold in 1812, 1813, 1815 and 1816 to John C. Death, Isaac Fletcher, Jonathan Hougham O. Stoddard
and N. Robinson.
Section 22 - Sold in 1811, 1812 and 1813 to John Keeney, Abraham Vanmeter, David Fletcher and Hill & Oldham.
Section 23 - Sold in 1814 and 1816 to Thomas Simpson, Amos Sutton and Valentine Harman.
Section 26 - Sold in 1811, 1813 and 1814 to Lewis Noble, William Knott and Daniel Boyles, Jr.
Section 27 - Sold in 1811, 1814, 1815 and 1816 to Samuel Riggs, Michael Brown, John Oldham and Zachariah Ferree.
Section 28 - Sold in 1813. 1814 and 1816 to Smith & Conner, James Ward, John Keeney and Robert Brown.
Section 33 - Sold in 1813, 1814 and 1815 to Samuel Bell and Phineas McCray.
Section 34 - Sold in 1813 and 1814 to Peggie Shields, Jacob Darter. Thomas Patton and Richard Colvin.
Section 35 - Sold in 1814 and 1815 to Robert Abernathy. Samuel Wilson and Joseph Dungan.
Township 13 North, Range 13 East.
Section 2 - Sold in 1813 and 1814 to Joseph Vanmeter, Giles Mattix and Michael Brown.
Section 3 - Sold in 1811, 1813 and 1814 to Samuel Fallen. Jacob Darter, Joseph Vanmeter and Andrew Bailey.
Section 4 - Sold in 1813 and 1814 to Thomas Clark, William Patton, John Manley and William Manley.
Section 9 - Sold in 1818 and 1815 to Adam Pigman, Jesse Pigman. Herod Newland and John Wood.
Section 10 - Sold in 1814 to John Bray, Benjamin Elliott, Ephraim Bering and John Hilff.
Section 10 - Sold in 1814 and 1815 to Henry Bray, Jacob Mattix, John Black and Solomon Wise.
Section 14 - Sold in 1814. 1815 and 1816 to Benjamin H. Hanson, Herod Newland, Elisha Crandel, William and Robert
Section 15 - Sold in 1813. 1814 and 1831 to James Worster, Herod Newland, John Huff, William P. and James A. Belton.
Section 16 - Reserved for school purposes.
Although a great amount of the land in this township was purchased in 1811 and 1812, there were very few actual
settlements prior to 1814. To Thomas Simpson. a native of Maryland, is given the credit of being the first settler
within the limits of this subdivision. About 1805 or 1806, having in view the purchase of land in the Indiana territory,
he removed to the vicinity of Harrison. Ohio, and there awaited the further preparation of lands for market. When
the party was being made up for the purpose of making the survey of the "Twelve Mile Purchase," Simpson
joined them to act as hunter for the party. He remained with the surveying party until the survey was completed.
after roaming over the country from Michigan to the Ohio river. With the approach of winter in the fall of 1809.
the party built a log cabin by a spring on the northeast quarter of section 23, township 14, range 13, which they
occupied during the survey of that region of the country.
Upon the completion of the surrey Simpson moved his family into the cabin and there passed the remainder of his
days. Within three quarters of a mile from the cabin was the Indian camping ground and many were the visits paid'
to the Simpson cabin, where the red men were often fed and treated with kindness. Just north of the creek known
to the Indians as Brushy creek, subsequently given the name of Simpson by the pioneers, was the burying place of
the Indians and upon the arrival of the Simpsons was still used.
The majority of the early settlers were emigrants of the Southern states, yet many were natives Of the North and
East who had emigrated in the earlier history of that section.
The next earliest settlers coming into the township were John Keeney, James Smith, Samuel Smith. John and Stephen
Oldham, all men of families, who came from the same neighborhood as the Simpsons. Smith and one of the Oldham brothers
were ministers of the Regular Baptist church.
James Darter and family, from Virginia, settled on the east fork of White Water river in what is now Union county
in 1812 and in the spring of 1813 moved over into Fayette county. The same season Joseph Vanmeter and John Manley
came to the same neighborhood. About this time Isaac and James Jones settled in the same vicinity and are supposed
to have purchased land of Joseph Vanmeter.
Many of those entering land settled upon it near the time of the purchase, while a few never had any idea of
making permanent settlement, but bought for others and for speculation.
Isaac Fletcher was one of the early settlers, but after remaining for only a short time sold his land to William
Walker, from Ohio.
Aaron and Jonathan Haugham, from Kentucky, after a residence in the township for a few years, removed farther west.
Some of those who followed their example were Lewis, Daniel and Joseph Noble, the Stoddard and Robinson families
Adam and Jesse Pigman, brothers, were among the earliest settlers and were men who took an active interest in public
affairs and civic improvement. The land on which these men entered was a dense forest. The first year they managed
to clear about six acres, which they planted in corn. By the next spring twelve acres more had been cleared. part
of which was planted in fruit trees, the first planted in the \Tillage creek valley.
Several families came from Pennsylvania about 1814 and 1815, among whom were James Worster and his father, Robert,
who was among the early school teachers of the county and also was the first Methodist minister west of the Alleghany
mountains. Other settlers from Pennsylvania were Amos Milliner, a soldier of the Revolution who settled in the
township in 1819. David Sutton, who came in 1816 and entered a vast tract of land, John Jacob Scholl, a later settler
and the father of Jacob, Solomon and George Scholl.
From Virginia came several settlers, among whom were Abraham Lyons, who came to Indiana territory in 1808 and in
1815 located in the vicinity of Alquina. William Lair, a soldier of the War of 1812, was an early settler, entering
land in the township, upon which he died. William Walker was another settler from Virginia and settled here in
1819. Michael Petro came from the same state and located in 1816.
From North Carolina came the Fosses and Garland Stanley. The Rosses were pioneers in the vicinity of Alquina. The
Stanley family immigrated to Union county in 1822 and in 1824 settled in this township.
Among settlers from various other places of the South and West were the Rutherfords, who purchased a tract of land
of one hundred and seventy acres in section 4 for the sum of eight hundred dollars. Samuel and Joseph Bell, Stephen
Goulding, Jeremiah and John Woods were very early settlers. Others were George Death. Samuel Riggs, William Knott.
Michael Brown. the Veatch, Loudenback and Hutchins families.
The Jones and Darter school houses were among the first places of learning in the township and were located
about half way between those farms. Bayliss Jones was one of the first teachers. Another school house of the same
period, known as the Eyestone school, stood probably one mile east of the Mount Garrison meeting house on the Asbury
Hanson farm. Some of the early teachers in this locality were Matthew R. Hull, Green Larimore, Washington Curnutt,
Thomas O'Brian, John P. Brown and a man by the name of Linn. James Worster was also an early teacher in the southern
part of the township. An early school was taught in the neighborhood of Alquina by Squire Harrison. of Connersville,
and a man by the name of Barnard. The first houses were constructed of logs and the teachers were paid entirely
The early industries of the township were characteristic of those of the other townships. During the early period
copper stills were found on nearly every creek and branch. Those who owned stills were John Harlan, James Riggs,
William Walker, Hige Hubbell and Michael Petro.
Henry Cashner erected the first and only grist mill of the township On Simpson's creek sometime prior to 1826.
In connection. he also operated a saw mill and a distillery. Peter Fiant and Lewis Monger were later owners and
for a number of years a large amount of business was transacted.
The origin of this little village seems wrapped in mystery and doubtless will always remain thus. The original
proprietor of the land occupied by the village was Joseph Vanmeter. According to tradition, a merchant there by
the name of Green Larimore gave the name to the place.
Records show that two additions have been made to the village. The first and south addition was laid off, November
2, 1838, by Joseph D. Ross and Isaac Darter, while the northern part was laid off by Jacob Reed, December 27, 1841,
Wilham Dickey being the surveyor.
The first merchant of whom there is any record was Samuel N. Harlan, who was granted permission by the county commissioners
to sell merchandise in May, 1830. H. G. Larimore was given a similar privilege in January of the following year
and continued in business for some time. Moses Lyons conducted a general store from 1836 until 1839, when he was
succeeded by Joseph D. and Samuel K. Ross. On May 23, 1839, Joseph D. Ross was appointed postmaster to succeed
Joseph C. Ross, the first postmaster, appointed December is, 1832. Joseph D. Ross kept the postoffice in his store
and was postmaster until the office was discontinued, March 30, 1843. David Maze became the business successor
to the Rosses and after several years sold to John H. Eyestone. Subsequent firms were S. & T. Jackson, Eyestone
& Newland, H. It & Thomas Jackson, Maze & Jackson.
The earlier blacksmiths of the village include the following: John Cashner, Joseph Graham, Jacob Davis, Joseph
Pullen, John Sims, Aaron Goulding and a man by the name of:gallery.
One of the early industries of the village and one which was operated for more than a decade was a tan-yard, owned
by John H. Eyestone. The only other industry worthy of mention was a steam flour mill, in operation about 1841
and owned by George P. Lyons, Samuel Branum, William Freely and a fourth party. After haying changed ownership
a number of times, the mill was destroyed by fire when owned by Price Brothers. It was rebuilt, with the addition
of a planing mill for the manufacture of doors and sashes. In later years it was removed to another location.
The village, which is unincorporated, has a population of about one hundred and is served by a rural mail route
out of the county seat. L. C. Titterington & Company have the only store in the village. There are two resident
physicians, Drs. Omer E. Dale and Stanton E. Gordon.
The following includes the names and times of service of each postmaster, beginning with December 13, 1832, when
the office was established with James C. Ross as postmaster: James C. Ross. 1832-1839; Joseph D. Ross, 1839. to
March 30, 1843 (discontinued): Thomas H. Jackson, April 28, 1843 (re-established). 1848; Baltharis Whitsel, August
10, 1848, to November 22, 1848; George W. Woodbury, 1848-1849; John H. Eyestone, 1849-1854: Thomas H. Jackson.
1854-1855; Balis E. Jones, January 23, 1855 to November 27, 1855; Joshua Lemmon, November 27, 1855. to 1857; Hiram
H. Maze. 1867-1869: Milton A. Price. 1869-1870; Isaac Weils, 1870-1872: Hiram H. Maze. 1872-1875; Martha R. Hull.
1875-1876: Hiram H. Maze, 1876, to October 29. 1877 (discontinued): Mary F. Darter, November 26. 1877 (re-established)
to 1881: William H. Hewitt, 1881-1883: Andrew Young, March 8. 1883. December 17, 1883: Willis O. Parker, December
When the Cincinnati. Hamilton & Dayton railroad, now known as the Cincinnati. Indianapolis & Western,
was being built through the county, a station was established just south of Springersville and given the name of
Lyons Station. The station and postoffice, the latter being established June 2. 1863, continued to bear this name
until June. 1916. At that time the postoffice was discontinued and the railroad company at once changed the name
of their station to Lvonsville. This was done because there was a town by the name of T sons in Greene county.
Indiana. and freight and express for the two places frequently got misshipped because of the similarity of names.
The little hamlet contains about eight dwellings and contains a population of nearly fifty people. The business
interests include the following: O. P. Stelle, general store: G. W. Walker. general store; T. O. Stanley. grain
dealer: Heider & Bland, wagon makers: Dickson Brothers maintain a store room and warehouse for hardware and
farming implements. but conduct no retail store. The station agent is E. A. Lyons.
The first postmaster of the village was Robert R. Monger, who held the office from 1863 to 1865. He was succeeded
by James V. Lyons. C. E. Brandenburg was postmaster for some time prior to June. 1916.