Orange township, named in honor of a county in North Carolina from which many of the early settlers came; was
organized out of patts of Columbia and Connersville townships on February 18, 1822. Its original limits were as
follows:- "Beginning at the southwest corner of Fayette county, running easterly with said county line three
miles to the range line; thence north with the said range line to the nothern boundary of Connersville township;
thence west with the said township line to the county line; thence south with the said county line to the place
of beginning," The township thus contained six more sections than it now has; the organization of Fairview
township in December, 1851 resulting in the detachment of the two northern tiers of sections.
All of this township, with the exception of small fractional portions of sections 13, 24, 25 and 36 falls within
the "New Purchase." and consequently was not open for entry until after 1820. In fact, there was no land
entered in the township until at least one year after the county was organized. The complete list of land entries
Township 14 North, Range 11 East.
Section 34 - Sold in 1820 to Robert Lyon and Joseph Justice.
Section 35 - Sold in 1820 to Ephraim Frazee and John Gregg.
Section 36 - Sold in 1820 to Ephraim, Smith, Nathan Ells, Moses Scott and Ephraim Frazee.
Township 13 North, Range 11 East.
Section 1 - Sold in 1822. 182;, 1830 and 1831 to Ephraim Frazee, John Coley, Dyer Woodsworth, Abraham Finch, Enos
Carter, Samuel Smith and William Martin.
Section 2 - Sold in 1822, 1824, 1826, 1828 and 1830 to David Dill, John Coley, Robert M. Orr, John Wagoner, Philip
Rich and Aaron Anderson.
Section 3 - Sold in 1820, 1821, and 1822 to Aaron Betts, John Ratcliff, John Russell, Susannah, Margaret, Marion
and Regannah Ronald, David Dill.
Section 10 - Sold in 1820, 1821, 1822 and 1830 to Isaac Thomas, Hugh Allen, Joshua Moore, David Dill, George H.
Puntenny and Joseph McDonald
Section 11 - Sold in 1822, 1830, 1831, 1832 and 1834 to George H. Puntenny, Silas M. Stone, Thomas R. Stevenson,
John Alexander, Jefferson Helm, James Case, Hugh Wilson, James Lathers, and Noah Dawson.
Section 12 - Sold- in 1820, 1831, 1832 and 1834 to John Ronald, John C. Halstead, John Thomas and Hugh Wilson.
Section 13 - Sold in 1820, 1822, 1823, 1825. 1827, 1831 and 1832 to William Callett, John Klum, Henry Klum, George
K. Cook, John Cook, John Haglett and Thomas G. Stephens.
Section 14 - Sold in 1821, 1822, 1824 and 1831 to Triplett Lockhart, Shelton Jones. Thomas Williamson, Elias B.
Stone, Jonas Jones, Silas H. Stone, Bethuel Rychmaul and Henry Klum.
Section 15 - Sold in 1821 and 1822 to Henry Brown, Aaron Betts and Elias B. Stone.
Section 22 - Sold in 1821. 1822, 1824 and 1830 to William Stephens, John Wagoner, Charles Scott, David Dill. Elias
B. Stone, John Longfellow, and Daniel Jackson.
Section 23 - Sold in 1822. 1824 and 1830 to Daniel McNeill, David Dill, Peyton Cook, John L. Lindsey. John Daniel
and Thomas G. Stephens.
Section 24 - Sold in 1825, 1831, 1832 and 1843 to William McPherson, Josiah Mullikin, Euphemia Morrison, Daniel
Jackson, John Klum and Lewis B. Tupper.
Section 25 - Sold in 1821, 1823. 1832, 1833 and 1834 to Elias Matney, John Jacobs, Elisha Ellison, James Stevens,
Thomas G. Stephenson, Mary Johnson and Richard Stevens.
Section 26 - Sold in 1822, 1824, 1830 and 1833 to Robert Stevens. Ephraim Johnson, Lewis Johnson. Jacob Moss. Samuel
Wilson. John English and Lawrence Johnson.
Section 27 - Sold in 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823, 1825 and 1830 to David Crews, Jr., William Moore. Michael Beaver,
James New, Solomon Cam, Lawrence Johnson and Rinard Rinearson.
Section 34 - Sold in 1820. 1822. 1823, 1825 and 1829 to C. Rinearson, William Pool, Joseph Stevens, William Dearning,
Conrad Plow, William Arnold and Moses Bart.
Section 35 - Sold in 1821, 1822. 1823 and 1831 to Catherine Watson, B. E. Haim, Conrad Plow, Elijah Pool, Adam
McNeill and C. W. Burt.
Section 36 - Sold in 1820, 1821, 1822. 1829 and 1834 to Cornelius Rinearson, Alexander Ayers, Timothy Allison,
John Woolech, John Linville and James Conwell, John Gregg.
Pioneers in Orange township were John Scott, John Reed and wife, Mrs. Sarah Wyle, Silas Stone and wife, William
Huston and wife, W. T. Daniel, Joseph Cotton, Wells Stevens, John Springer, Elias Matney and wife, Edwin Austin,
As will be noted from the above land entries, no settlement was made in Orange township prior to 1820 Probably
the first to settle in the township was Wells Stevens, the son of Robert Stevens, who emigrated from Carolina during
the first decade of the century and settled in the vicinity of the east fork of the White Water river. Wells Stevens,
in 1820, having just married, settled in the southwest corner of the township and began the work characteristic
of the early settler. He completed his little pioneer cabin before the completion of the survey and the story is
told that on several occasions the surveyors sought comfort and rest in his humble dwelling.
Another man who made settlement in 1820 but somewhat later in the year than Wells Stevens, was Elias B. Stone,
who emigrated from Kentucky and settled on Garrison's creek, southeast of Fayetteville. Silas B. Stone, a brother,
came two years later, but did not make a permanent settlement until 1824.
Adam McNeill, a brother in law to Robert Stevens, and William Pool were early settlers in the Stevens neighborhood.
In 1821, George Creelmari, a native of Ireland. settled in the township. At the same time the Dills settled here.
In 1822 John Scott entered land in the township and the same year constructed a shanty upon it and removed his
mother's family thereto. The father had died leaving the family in destitute circumstances. The son John travelled
the river, worked on flat boats and in other employment and with his earnings made the purchase mentioned. Later
he served as one of the associate judges of the county and occupied other public positions:
During the period from 1820 to 1830the following persons settled north and east of Fayetteville: Hugh Allen, John
Russell, Samuel Hornady, John Coley, James Lathers and a Mr. Perkins.
About 1823, Ralph Titsworth and family settled probably one mile and a half north of Fayetteville.
Among others who were early pioneers were Henry Dicken. Triplet Lockhart, Joseph Justice, Cornelius Rinearson,
Laurence Johnson, Elias Matney and Alexander Ayers.
The farms in this township were improved and cleared mostly by renters. These renters, as soon as they had made
the specified improvements on the premises, casually moved on to another location, thus leaving little account
of themselves. In some cases the purchasers of the land remained away until the land was partially cleared up and
the ground put into a tillable condition.
A little log cabin located just north of Fayetteville is supposed to have acted as the first school house in
the township. The first teacher was Eleanor Blair, who taught in 1823. Another school was conducted two or three
years afterward in a cabin that stood about a mile and a half northeast of Fayetteville on what was known as the
Russell farm. One of the first teachers was a lady by the name of Mitchell.
School district No. I was organized in 1824. The building, which was in keeping with the houses of the period,
was built on the ground donated by John Coley. The school tax was nearly all paid in labor and material. A man
by the name of Gunn taught the first school in this building. In 1825 another school district was organized in
Danville (later Fayetteville, now Orange). Wiley J. Daniel was one of the early teachers at this place. J. P. Daniel
and James Rhodes were also early teachers in the village.
In the Sain's creek neighborhood, the first school house stood in the northwest quarter of section 36, on what
was later known as the Winchell farm. John Bell, Thomas Points and Alexander Patton were among the early teachers.
After several years the building became inadequate to the needs of the community and another building was constructed
about four hundred yards south of the old one. Alexander Matnev was one of the early teachers.
Elias B. Stone had the honor of erecting the first grist mill in the township, located on the south branch of
Garrison's creek. Subsequently, S. H. Stone bought the grist mill, and operated it for several years. He disposed
of his interests to John Lindsey and James Tuttle, who built and carried on a distillery in connection with the
mills. Later. S. H. Stone built another grist mill in the northeast part of the southeast quarter of section 14,
and afterwards added a saw mill to the grist mill. On the north branch of Garrison's creek, a saw mill was built
by Hugh Gray sometime prior to 1833. William Reed erected a saw mill only a short distance above the Gray mill
about the same time. A man by the name of Starbuck started a tanyard at the village of Fayetteville (now Orange)
very earl and was succeeded by Isham Keith. An industry that was of a short life was the carding machine that was
operated in Fayetteville by Benjamin F. Morrow.
Located in the northeastern part of the township is the largest apple orchard in the county, owned by Reed &
Fielding. The orchard is a model of its kind and, along with others, has been favorably mentioned as one of the
best in this section of the state.
Orange, formerly known as Fayetteville, is in Orange township and on the boundary line between the two counties.
The village was surveyed and platted by Thomas Hinkson for Elias B. Stone and Isaac Thomas, October 12, 1824, and
given the name of Danville. On September 30, 1841, an addition was made on the south side by Elias B. Stone. Robert
Cox was the first business man of the town, he conducting a general store and a blacksmith shop and also manufactured
bells. Robert Wilson was perhaps the first blacksmith and Doctors Mason, Helm and Daniel were early physicians.
In 1833 Burgess G. Wells was given permission to vend merchandise and in 1837 became postmaster of the village.
Other early merchants were James M. Conner and Thomas Marks. John Latchem and Joshua Wolf were among the early
blacksmiths. John B. Williams was the cabinetmaker for the community in 1833. A man by the name of Vantyne was
one of the first wagon makers in this section.
Doctor Jefferson had the distinction of building the first frame house in 1830 or 1831. The first brick house was
built by Joshua Wolf.
A postoffice was established here, February 8, 1833, under the name of Orange. The following is a complete list
of the postmasters up to the time the office was discontinued: Wiley J. Daniel, 1833-1837; Burgess G. Wells, 1837-1840;
Thomas Marks, 1840-1842; John B. Williams, March 2, 1842-July 28, 1842; Isham Keith, 1842-1846; Joseph P. Daniel,
1846-1862; Joel Rhodes, 1862-1865; Joseph George, 1865.
Glenwood, a village of about three hundred and seventy five population, is on the Fayette-Rush county line,
the part of the village in Fayette county being in Fairview and Orange townships. According to the 1910 census
the village had a population of two hundred and sixty six with forty nine in Fayette and two hundred and seventeen
in Rush county. Of those forty nine in Fayette county, eight were in Fairview and forty one in Orange township.
The village is on the Cincinnati, Indianapolis & Western railroad and the traction line running between Indianapolis
and Connersville. The history of this village really belongs to Rush county.
The following places of business in Glenwood are on the Fayette county side: Saw mill, Orlando Nichols: barber
shop and pool room, Jesse Vandiver; livery stable and auctioneer, Clarence Carr; veterinary surgeon, Leon Mingle;
harness shop and confectionery, Otto Cameron; butcher shop, William Combs & Son; general store, A. P. Reynolds;
blacksmith, Bert Timmerman; garage, Mr. Osborn; physician, H. S. Osborn. The three fraternal organizations of Glenwood
are on the Rush county side. There was formerly a congregation of the Seventh Day Adventists in Glenwood on the
Fayette county side. The congregation built a small church in the southwestern corner of Fairview township about
twenty five years ago, but the congregation was disbanded several years ago. The old church building is now a part
of a dwelling house with a store room in front. The grain elevator is on the Fayette county side. It is managed
by Jesse Murphy & Son, who also handle coal. cement, flour, paint and farming implements.