Posey township, roamed in honor of Thomas Posey, governor of Indiana territory from 1812 until the state was
admitted to the Union, was created out of Harrison township by the county commissioners in February, 1823. The
boundary lines as first defined in 1823 have never been changed. They follow: "Henceforth all that district
of country and part of Harrison township which is inclosed in the following bounds shall form and constitute a
new township to be known and designated by the name of Posey township, to-wit: Beginning at the southwest corner
of Wayne county, at the southeast corner of section 28, running thence north on the county line five miles to the
extreme northeast corner of Fayette county: thence west six miles to the northwest corner of said county; thence
south five miles to the southwest corner of section 27; thence east on the section line to the place of beginning."
The following is a complete list of the original land entries in Posey township:
Township 15 North, Range 12 East.
Section 4 - Sold in 1817, 1821, 1822 and 1823 to Joel Rains, Thomas Reagan, Henry Thornburg and Chancey Ridgeway.
Sections 5 - Sold in 1821, 1822, 1823 and 1824 to James Swofford, Henry Thornburg, Peter Wails, Daniel Mills, Nehemiah
Staubrough, Andrew Pentecost, Michael Spencer and Isaac Galbraith.
Section 6 - Sold in 1822, 1824, 1826 and 1836 to Rachael Frazier, David Galbraith, James McConkey, William Moore,
John Frazier, Ezra Hunt and Benjamin Griffin.
Section 7 - Sold in 1823, 1824 and 1829 to James Kirkwood, James Gilleland, Thomas Kirkwood, Robert Harrison, James
S. Kirkwood, Levi Charles, Andrew Pentecost and Garrison Miner.
Section 8 - Sold in 1821, 1823 and 1828 to Joel Rains, Henry Thornburg, Elizabeth McColum, James Gilleland and
Section 9 - Sold in 1817. 1825, 1828 and 1829 to John Bell, Henry Thornburg, Thomas Butler and John Beal.
Section 16 - Reserved for school purposes.
Section 17 - Sold in 1821, 1822 and 1823 to Samuel Bantham, John Whitehead, Micajah Ferguson and John Ingles.
Section 18 - Sold in 1821 and 1822 to John Higer, John Ingles, John Higer, John K. Munger, William McCann and John
Section 19 - Sold in 1821 to Lawrence Ginn, Trueman Munger, Hugh Dickey, and Edward K. Munger.
Section 20 - Sold in 1821 and 1823 to John Gilleland, John Huston, John C. Cook, Prudence Manlove, Laurence Ginn
and James Gilleland.
Section 21 - Sold in 1812, 1813, 1814 and 1821 to Elisha Dennis, William Lowry, Amos Ashew, Samuel Heath and John
Section 28 - Sold in 181r, 1812 and 1814 to George Manlove, R. Kolb, Manlove Caldwell and John Caldwell.
Section 29 - Sold in 1814, 1821 and 1822 to John Loder, Philip Srader, David Sprong, John Huston and Charles Legg.
Section 30 - Sold in 1821 and 1822 to John Higer, Philip Srader, John Huston, William Sutton, John Murphy and Bennett
Township 15 North. Range 11 East.
Section 1 - Sold in 1821, 1822, 1823 and 1824 to Stephen Hull, Joseph Evans, Solomon Waller and John Finney.
Section 2 - Sold in 1821, 1822 and 1823 to Joseph Evans, John Walters and Conrad Walters.
Section 3 - Sold in 1822, 1823, 1829 and 1830 to William Walters; Isaac Metcalf, Charles Smith, R. Spencer, Peter
Voorhees, John G. Eaton and Thomas K. Stiles.
Section 10 - Sold in 1821, 1826, 1830 and 1831 to Noah Fouts, Thomas Smith, Edward Frazier, John Moffitt, Edward
Fryan, William Shaw and Thomas Knipe.
Section 11 - Sold in 1822. 1824. 1826. 1829 and 1833 to Mary Wetterfield, George Merrick, Catherine Heck, Godfrey
Heck and John Slinks.
Section 12 - Sold in 1824, 1826, 1830 and 1833 to Peter Kemmer, John W. Waterfield, William Henry, Charles Campbell
and Joseph Evans.
Section 13 - Sold in 1821, 1823. 1824 and 1827 to Thomas K. Stiles, John Treadway, Enoch Warman, Jane Gilleland.
John Norcross and Jesse Dobbins.
Section 14 - Sold in 1821, 1822, 1824 and 1825 to Robert Dollahan, John Banfill, Isaac Metcalf, William Beard,
Samuel Alexander and Casper Stoner.
Section 15 - Sold in 1821, 1822, 1824 and 1826 to L. French, Jacob Lonen, John Hillis and Thomas Woodman.
Section 22 - Sold in 1824, 1825, 1826. 1828 and 1829 to John Coleman, Isaac Personett, Robert Moulton, G. Pattison,
A. J. Veatch and William Jackson.
Section 23 - Sold in 1821, 1823, 1826 and 1828 to Micajah Jackson, John Mallins, John Peanell, William Pattison,
Matthew Marland, L. Whitehead, Henderson Bragg and Nathan Wilson
Section 24 - Sold in 1821, 1822 and 1823 to John Stephen, William Dickey, James Russell. Elijah Haymon, James Gilleland,
and Robert McCann.
Section 25 - Sold in 1821, 1822 and 1823 to John Huston, John Daubenspeck. William Alger, William Pattison and
Section 26 - Sold in 1821 to Matthew Howard.
Section 27 - Sold in 1821, 1823, 1824 and 1826 to Michael Brown, John C. Cook, Reason W. Debriler, Samuel Knotts,
Jonathan Hatfield, and Greenbury Lahine.
The earliest settler of whom there is any authentic information was George Manlove, who came to this country from
North Carolina in October, 1811, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 28. However, it seems that he
remained on his purchase only a short time, as he feared trouble with the Indians and consequently returned to
Preble county, Ohio. He remained in Ohio until 1814 and then returned to the place of original settlement.
The Mungers, among the first to enter and settle upon land in the "New Purchase, came from Rutland county,
Vermont, and settled about one and one half miles southeast of Bentonville in the fall of 1821. Among others who
settled in this territory were, Isaac Galbreath, David Galbreath, both from Kentucky, and Jehu Vickroy, from North
The years of 1821 and 1822 were periods of greater settlement up to that time and included settlers from many parts
of the Eastern and Southern states. Among the number were, John Chapel, Micajah Jackson, Henry Thornburg, Reason
Reagan, Bennett B. Cook, John Mullins, John Coleman and John Frazier from North Carolina; John Hallis, William
Beard. Robert Mitchell, James McConkey, Daniel New, William Patterson, Godfrey Peck, John and Peter Kemmer, Lawrence
Quinn and Amos Goff from Kentucky; Thomas Legg, Randall Brewer. Peter Voores, John G. and William Eaton from Ohio;
Peter Marts, William Alger, John and James Gilleland from Pennsylvania; John Middleton and Thomas B. Stiles from
New Jersey; Isaac Metcalf, from England
Following is a copy of a poll book of an election held in 1826 and includes the names of many of the pioneers.
"Poll book of an election held at the house of Thomas K. Stiles, in Posey township, Fayette county, Indiana,
on the eighth day of April, A. D. 1826, for the purpose of electing one justice of the peace for said township,
agreeable to an order of the board of Fayette justices at their March term, at which time and place the following
persons appeared and gave their vote: Henry Thornburg, Paul Coffin, Randall Brewer. John Thornburg, Aaron Youke,
John Frazier. William Russell, Thomas H. Stiles, John Huston, Peter Kemmer, Joseph Spencer, Thomas Dancen, Abijah
Haman, George Weirick, Robert McCann, John Rasher. George Raines, Andrew Penticost, John Treadway, Jacob Shinkle,
Nehemiah Stanleydogh, Barnes Claney, Samuel Ridgeway, Tittman Kolb, James Kirkendall, Daniel New, Micajah Jackson,
Masters Vickroy, George Shinkle, John Norcross, David Canady, William Sutton, Isaac Sutherland, Solomon Sprang,
Samuel Minanda, Jehu Vickroy, Jacob Watson, James Denkearad, Thomas Legg, Nathan Billson, James Sprang, Samuel
Peaks, John Shinkle, Moses Gard, Thomas Kirkwood. John Weaver, Lawrence Guinn, Cornelius Wadword, John Mullins,
Thomas Patterson, Peter Shepler, Edmund K. Munger, Samuel Banther, James Gilleland."
The candidates for this election were Thomas Kirkwood, Jacob Shinkle and John Treadway, and the number of votes
cast for each was Seventeen, twenty one and sixteen, respectively.
SOME FIRST EVENTS.
William Manlove, born January 19, 1815. son of George Manlove, is believed to have been the first white child
born in the township.
The first wedding is believed to have been that of John Case to Mary Caldwell and occurred at the home of the bride's
The first death in the township is thought to have been that of William Manlove, Sr.
The first house constructed with a shingle roof was the dwelling of George Manlove.
The first and only grist mill in the township was built about 1830, in section 5, on Simon's creek. The mill was
in operation for nearly twenty Years. Located on the same stream in section 4. and about the same time, was a saw
mill operated by the father of J. A. Baldwin.
The first school house in the township was located. in section 28, in what is commonly known as the "Twelve
Mile Purchase." The exact time that the school house was built is not known. but it is known that school was
held there in 1818 and that George Manlove, who settled in the vicinity in 1811. was the first teacher. Another
one of the early schools in this community, but which stood just over the line in Wayne county, was the one in
the Loder settlement. erected about 1826, Joseph Williams being one of the first teachers there. During the period
from 1820 to 1830 as many as five school houses were built in various parts of the township.
The first school house erected in the Van Buskirk settlement, just west of Bentonville. was on the land owned by
one of the Van Buskirks in 1831. The house was of the usual primitive type - round logs, large fireplace. greased
paper for windows, etc. Among the first teachers here were John Treadway. Merchant Kelley, John Legg and Lavinia
Church. This building had not been in use many years until it was supplanted by a more modern one. located about
a quarter of a mile farther west.
Bentonville, named in honor of Thomas Benton, of Missouri, is located near the center of Posey township on the
Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis railroad, twelve miles northwest of the county seat, and six miles
from Dublin, the nearest banking point. William Dickey surveyed and platted the site of the village for the proprietor.
Joseph Dale, December 7, 1838. The original plat consisted of thirteen lots. A small addition was made in 1844
by Thomas K. Stiles.
William Young, a tailor, built a house on the townsite before it was surveyed and doubtless was the first business
man on the ground. Among other business men were Bradley Perry, a blacksmith: Samuel Dickey, Joseph McCauley, Woodford
Dale, Alfred Loder and a man by the name of Woodson, merchants; William Stockdale, tanner.
The business interests of the present time are represented by the following: Van D. Chance, general store and postmaster;
Smullen Brothers, groceries: Mason & Hackleman, farming implements: Connell & Anderson, Grain Company.
The Bentonville postoffice was formerly known as Plum Orchard and was established under the latter name November
28, 1827, with Moses Ellis as postmaster. On February 13, 1838, the name of the office was changed to Bentonville
and Samuel Dickey was the first postmaster. In connection with the office is one rural route.