Green township, named after John Green, one of the very early settlers, is located in the north central part
of Hancock county. It is six miles east and west by five miles north and south. The civil township lies in two
congressional townships. Sections 12, 13, 24, 25 and 36, off of the west end of the civil township, lie in congressional
township 17 north, range 6 east. The remaining twenty five square miles composing the township lie in congressional
township 17 north, range 7 east.
Green township was first organized at the September term of the board of commissioners, in 1832, and was formed
from the northern parts of Jackson and Harrison townships. At that time it included all of what is now Green and
Brown townships. Brown township was organized as a separate township at the September term of the board of commissioners,
in 1833. Since that time Green township has had its present boundaries.
Its surface is generally level except along Sugar creek, where it is rolling. Sugar creek enters the township near
its northeast corner, then comes down almost to the middle of the township and takes a westerly course almost to
its west line. It then turns sharply, cutting the west line of the township about a mile north of its southern
line. There is no other natural drainage, but a large number of open ditches have been constructed, both from the
north and south, which empty into Sugar creek. These open ditches, with a system of tile drains, give the township
a complete system of artificial drainage. The level surface of the township, together with a fertile soil, makes
it admirably adapted to heavy farming.
The first land entry in the township was made by William Shortridge on May 26, 1829, who entered the northeast
quarter of section 19, township 17, range 7. Among other families who came at a very early date and entered land
in Green township, as shown by the tract book in the county recorder's office, are the following: James Alford,
Frederick Jackson. Henry Collins, Levi Jackson, Harvey Scott, Matilda Edwards, George Baity, William Cass, Elizabeth
Green, Ichabod Ashcraft, John L. Alford, Andrew Alford, George Davidson, George Y. Atkison, Henry Jackson, Samuel
Smith, Joseph S. Watts, Joseph Murfin, Drewney Reynolds, Thomas L. Fuqua, Robertson Jarrett, George Shortridge,
Andrew Bragg, Dempsy Jackson, John D. Cooper, Lucinda McCray, James Cass, William Willett, John Green, Alfred Henby,
Neri Jarrett, Isaac Magruder, Enos Jarrett, William Shortridge, Nicholas Jarrett, John McKinsey, David Hittle,
William Barrett, Levi Rash, Samuel Wilson, George Henry, Morris Pierson, Elijah S. Cooper, Alford Thomas, Moses
Gibbs, Robert Curry, Jacob Amick, Abraham Rhue, Robert Sanford, David McKinsey, Andrew F. Hatfield, Edward Barrett,
Stephen Jackson, Robert Wilson, James Walker, Henry Hunt, Jonathan Dunbar, John Gibbs, Henry Manifold, James Judkins,
William Amick, Logan Alford, Jacob Kingery, Harper Reed, Rolla Personett, John Power, Joseph Barrett, William Wilson,
John Rash, James Wilson, Vincent Cooper, Paul Moore, Robert Jackson, Hugh Gibbs, James Drury, Isaiah Jackson, Seth
Wilson, David Piper.
Following are a number of the industries of the township: Grist and sawmill, built by George Mason, in 1835, and
located northeast of Eden on the northwest quarter of section 22, township 17, range 7. Grist and sawmill, erected
by William Beeson, in 1836, on Sugar creek about two and one half miles from Eden. Saw mill, built about 1850,
by Bragg & Guy, at Eden. Saw mill, erected by Dr. Samuel A. Troy on his farm on the northwest quarter of section
23, township 17, range 7. It was later owned by Trueblood, Barrett & Trueblood, and Walker. During the seventies
it was moved to the extreme southwest corner of Green township and located on the south half of section 36, township
17, range 6. Saw mill, erected at Milner's Corner in 1873, by Walton, Rule & Miller, and operated for probably
two years. Saw mill, erected at Eden by C. Mingle, in 1875, or probably a little later. Saw mill, erected by Stephen
B. Tucker at Milner's Corner, in 1880, and operated for several years.
A tannery was established by Dudley Eaks in the northern part of section 36, township 17, range 6, probably in
the latter thirties or early forties, and one was established at Lewisburg by John Price, probably in the latter
forties or early fifties.
The Barnard sorghum factory, owned and operated by Elwood Barnard, was built in 1901 and has been operated every
season since that time. It is the largest and best equipped plant of the kind in Indiana, having a capacity of
twelve hundred gallons of sorghum per day, and a season's output of from twenty to thirty thousand gallons. Barnard's
sorghum is a household word in Hancock and adjoining counties. It is the only manufacturing establishment now in
At a very early date in the township's history a town was laid out on the west bank of Sugar creek about where
it crosses the south line of the northwest quarter of section 22, township 17, range 7. Its name appears in the
county commissioners' record in connection with road construction. A cemetery is now located very near the site
where the town was surveyed. Like Berlin in Center township, and many other towns that are platted in new territory,
it never came into actual existence.
Eden, originally Lewisburg, was surveyed and platted on August 21, 1835. Though the record fails to show the
name of the person making the plat, the deeds for the lots were executed by John L. Alford, who no doubt caused
the survey to be made. The original plat consisted of thirty lots. To this one addition was made, by Levi Archer,
on April 26, 1871, consisting of seventeen lots.
The commissioners' record shows that in 1836 George Henry was licensed to sell foreign and domestic merchandise
at the town of Lewisburg. Since then small stores have been conducted at the town practically all of the time.
Orville Baity conducted the store for many years. Lee Justice and Umberhower & Fuqua have been later merchants.
It has also had its sawmills, blacksmith shops, etc., during the years. A postoffice was maintained at Eden until
the rural routes were established from Greenfield.
Milner's Corner is located at the northeast corner of section 23, township 17, range 7. It consists of a dwelling
or two, a store and a blacksmith shop. No plat has ever been made, but business has been conducted there for more
than a half century. Among the merchants of the town have been David McKinsey, John Dawson, Henry Milner, Nimrod
Davis, Joseph Decamp, Caldwell & Keller, William and Joseph Bills, Tague & Brother, W. Vanzant, Charles
H. Troy, Charles Albea, Sanford Gable and Frank Pritchard, the latter now conducting the store.
A postoffice was established here in 1868 and maintained until the Wilkinson rural route was established, May 1,
Among the physicians who have been located here are D. H. Myers, George Williams, Charles Pratt and S. A. Troy.
Dr. Troy for a number of years had an exceedingly lucrative practice from this point.
The village has also had its blacksmith shops, saw mills, etc., during its history. For many years Cyrus Manning
& Son conducted the blacksmith shop. The elder Manning died several years ago and since that time the son has
conducted the business.
The first school in Green township was erected a short distance northeast of Eden. This was in the settlement
built on the Greenfield and Pendleton state road. The second school house was built in the northeast corner of
the township by settlers who evidently came over the Knightstown and Pendleton state road. Other houses were built
as they were needed until finally ten districts were established. Ten single room district schools were maintained
in the township until the two room building was erected at Eden in 1889, during the trusteeship of Charles H. Troy.
The first district abandoned was district No. 10, known as the Purdue school, about one and one half miles west
and a little south of Eden. In 1900, during the trusteeship of Dr. William A. Justice, two additional rooms were
built to the Eden school preparatory to the establishment of a township high school.
The first high school subjects were taught in the school during the winter of 1896-7 by I. H. Day. No definite
course had been outlined, but work was introduced in the fall of 1897. The principals of the high school, since
its organization, with the dates of their first appointments, are as follow: I. H. Day, 1896; John T. Wilson, 1898;
J. M. Pogue, 1901; L. M. Luce, 1904; A. H. Symons, 1906; Charles Collingwood, 1907; J. A. Moore, 1911; O. W. Jackson,
1912; J. A. Moore, 1914; O. W. Jackson, 1915.
During the principalship of John T. Wilson the Eden high school became one of the most prominent of our township
high schools. For several years it was regarded as probably second to none among the township high schools of the
county. On account of the smallness of the attendance during recent years the school has not been given the advantages
of development provided by later legislation. A three year course has been maintaind, and efficient teachers have
been employed, but the school has never been certified nor has it ever had a four years course of study. It has
followed the first three years of the course outlined for the certified and commissioned high schools of the county.
Green township has a population of 1,035, as shown by the census of 1910. In the spring of 1915, 264 children
between the ages of six and twenty one years were enumerated in the township. During the winter of 1914-15 208
pupils were enrolled in the schools. Of these, 27 were in the high school and 181 in the elementary grades. The
average attendance for the year was 151 pupils in the elementary grades and twenty three in the high school. The
total cost of maintaining the elementary grades during the year was $2,963.00; the total cost of maintaining the
high school was $1,540.75: the total amount paid teachers during the year was $4,194.00; the estimated value of
the school property as reported by the trustee, August 1, 1915, was $25,000; the total assessment of taxables in
the township was $1,234,870; the township paid for the transportation of school children, $1,449.85.
The following men have served the township in the capacity of township trustee since the enactment of the law
creating the office in 1859: Meredith Gosney, 1859; Edward Valentine, 1861; Joseph Barrett, 1865; Edward Valentine,
1866; Andrew H. Barrett, 1869; William L. McKinsey, 1874; Sidney Moore, 1880; Henry B. Wilson, 1882; Irvin Porter,
1884; Henry B. Wilson, 1886; Charles H. Troy, 1888; William A. Justice, 1894; James K Barrett, 1890; Almon Murfin,
1900; Sherman Rothermel. 1904; Daniel J. Warrum, 1908; Walter A. Jackson, 1914.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
The local courts of the township have been presided over by the following men: John L. Alford, 1833; Andrew
J. Hatfield, ____; John Ferguson, ____; Elijah S. Cooper, 1841-46; James Jones, 1843; Miles Walker, 1850; Michael
Cooper, 1853; William Cook, 1858-62-66; R. M. Fuqua, 1863; Isaac Barrett, 1867; J. M. Trueblood, 1869-73-77; W.
T. Hamilton, 1870; W. R. Ferrell, 1846, 1855, 1859, 1878; John Price, 1848; M. M. Addington, 1848; William Barrett,
1849-54; Joel Manning, 1882-86; David H. McKinsey, 1884; William Collins, 1880; James W. Wilson, 1880; William
R. Ferrell; 1882-86; James W. Jackson, 1886; William R. Ferrell, 1886-1890-94; James M. Trueblood, 1901; Samuel
H. Trueblood, 1907.
Green township has contributed several names to the list of county servants, among whom are Andrew J. Hatfield,
representative; Charles II. Troy. auditor; Elijah S. Cooper, county treasurer; Samuel Archer and Benjamin F. Pauley,
sheriffs; Jonathan Smith and Daniel M. Ballenger, commissioners.
Among the physicians who have been located in Green township are Paul Moore, William Loder, Jones & Edwards,
Samuel A. Troy, J. J. Carter, John and William A. Justice, and J. E. Ferrell, the latter being located at Eden
The following persons in Green township paid taxes in amounts larger than one hundred dollars during the year
1915: David H. Alford, $135.56; Samuel Alford, $116.29; Charles Z. Albea, $216.15; A. C. and E. Albea, $125.14;
Anna B. Adkins, $114.31; Martha Baden, $117.16; John Brooks, $113.22; David H. Baity, $462.58; William NI. Barnard,
$223.16; Elwood Barnard, $198.41; Hiram N. Barrett, $474.57; Daniel M. Ballenger, $102.71; Elsie H. Berkebile,
$118.26; Thomas M. Carrollton, $149.58; Mary J. Collingwood, $155.49; James F. Cass, $222.50; H. A. Cranfill and
wife, $136.09; Flora Curry, $250.09; George P. Frank, $124.83; Johnson H. Frank, $181.20; Matthew L. Frank, $346.68;
Robert and Mary L. Fair, $185.06; James M. and Viola George, $102.50; Anthony T. Ginley, $148.04; Levi A. Jackson
and wife, $117.16; Lambert Jarrett, $100.52; Francis M. Jackson, $114.10; Jesse B. Jackson, $142.78; William A.
Jones, $141.92; Thomas J. Jones, $232.14; William H. Keller, $312.29; Edward J. Keller, $228.29; Oliver P. Keller
and wife, $170.70; Isaac and Margaret J. Martin, $231.51; Maggie Morris and children, $113.45; Stephen A. Moore,
$289.83; John A. Morrison, $129.43; Almond H. Murphin and wife, $187.55; James T. McCarty. $187.46; Ward T. Martindale;
$262.01; Orpha J. Murphin, $101.40; Eliza Mingle, $210.02; Marion A. Mingle, $252.83; Lee D. Olvey (estate), $1,020.54;
William H. Piper, $210.24; Thomas B. Piper, $144.97; A. Paisley, $122.86; $ Piper, $258.20; Mary $144.97; James
F. .86; Rosa Poole, S129.74, Azel Shull, $102.28; William H. Sherry, $14.1.69; Mary F. Spurry, $103.36; Charles
H. Troy, $383.25; Henry B. Wilson (estate), $236.95; Archibald Wilson, $310.76; Noah W. Wilson, $106.21; Ida M.
Wilson, $280.75; Margaret E. Wilson, $249.44; Elizabeth Warrum, $100.00.
BARNARD FAMILY ORCHESTRA.
The Barnard family of musicians consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Elwood Barnard and their five children, Ethel, Olive,
Helen, Anna and Robert.
Mr. Barnard was born on a farm near Eden. Mrs. Barnard, who was Miss Ola Gordon, was born near Knightstown,
Henry county, Indiana. Both received their education at Spiceland Academy. Each had musical talent, but neither
had an opportunity of developing it to any great extent. As their children grew up the parents gave them musical
instruction until they had an opportunity to procure teachers for them. In 1899 the necessary instruments to form
an orchestra were selected and each began taking lessons on the instrument chosen. The children drove from the
farm in Green township to Fortville, a distance of six miles, then took the train to Indianapolis to take their
lessons at the Metropolitan School of Music. They developed rapidly and made their first appearance in public at
the installation ceremonies of the Eden Masonic lodge in December, 1900. On March 29, 1901, they played for a school
commencement at the Methodist Episcopal church in Eden. They also played for several other commencements in Hancock
county during that season. On December 13, 1901, they gave their first concert in the church at Eden. In 1902 they
played for all the common school commencements in Hancock county and for a number outside. They continued their
study of music and in the spring of 1903 the family moved to Indianapolis. From that time their development was
rapid. Their first chautauqua engagement was at Madison, Ind., in July, 1903. Since that time they have probably
filled more chautauqua engagements in various parts of the United States than any other similar organization. During
one summer under the management of the Redpath Chautauqua system of Chicago they played for one hundred and ten
chautauquas. The family as a whole disbanded in the spring of 1909, after having toured a greater part of the United
States and Canada in lyceum and chautauqua work under the management of the leading bureaus. Some of the younger
members of the family, with the aid of others, continued the work under the family name until the spring of 1915,
when the Barnard Family Orchestra ceased to be an organization.
EDEN CORNET BAND.
The first brass band was organized in Eden about 1887 and was known as the Eden Cornet Band. It was composed
of the following members: Sam H. Moore, E-flat cornet; Joseph W. Green, &flat cornet; Elwood Barnard, solo
B-flat cornet; Walter Cranfill, first cornet; Oliver N. Trueblood, first alto; Ernest J. Alford, second alto; James
Cranfill, first tenor; James W. Jackson, first tenor; Joseph E. Jarrett, second tenor; Yancy Cranfill, baritone;
James W. Johnson, E-flat tuba; Hiram Jarrett, bass drum; Albert E. Chappell, snare drum.
This band was organized, financed, instructed and managed by Elwood Barnard for a number of years, with the exception
of a term of lessons given by Isaac Davis, of Greenfield. During this time there were quite a number of additions
and changes, Walter N. Bridges taking up alto; Oren Moore, slide trombone; John W. Huston, tuba; Fred Huston, tenor;
Samuel H. Trueblood, snare drum, Albert E. Chappell having dropped out.
The band did a profitable business during its life, furnishing music for rallies, Sunday school picnics, public
speakings, and Played a number of times for the Hancock County Fair Association.
EDEN CONCERT BAND.
After the old band became a matter of history, a new band was organized, known as the Eden Concert Band, under
the management and instruction of Samuel H. Trueblood. This organization was maintained for about twenty years,
or up until four or five years ago.
The following is a list of members and the parts they played during the existence of this band: Jesse Warrum and
Gem Decamp, clarinets; Samuel H. Trueblood, Stewart Slocum, Frank Stewart, Charles Roberts and Ernest Warrum, B-flat
cornets; Thomas L. Huey, Arnold Roberts, Edward Wagner, Clarence Dangler, altos; Lee F. Justice, Noble Beagle,
Thomas M. Alford, tenors; William E. Burkes and Samuel H. Moore, trombones; James Barnard and Bert J. Cooper, baritones;
Edward Decamp, Orville Baity and Albert Barnard, E-flat basses; James N. Warrum and Walter Huey, B-flat bass; Oliver
Ball, Olen E. Ball and Edward M. Shull, bass drums; Lawrence Jarrett, H. D. Reeves and George Roberts, snare drum.
MILNER S CORNER CITIZENS BAND.
By Noble H. Troy.
The Milner's Corner Citizens Band was organized on April 4, 1913, by the young men of this community for the purpose
of a social pastime and developing their musical talents. It can be truly said that the band has pleased hundreds
of people who have listened to their sweet strains of music. This organization is composed of the following members:
Noble H. Troy, manager; Aubrey Thomas, director; Ralph Fisk, C. H. Jackson, Roy Hassler and Glen Johns, cornetists;
Robert Troy and James Barnard, baritones; Dale Troy and Luther Barnard, trombones; Lon Godhy, alto; Chester Alford,
tenor; Jesse Hays, tuba; Edward Jackson and Robert Dorman, drummers.
Eden Lodge, No. 477, Free and Accepted Masons, was instituted May 26, 1871, with the following charter members:
L. H. Riggs, E. S. Bragg, G. Morrison, A. H. Trueblood, D. H. Alford, T. T. Barrett, Samuel Alford, J. W. Green,
G. W. Hopkins and A. W. Powell. The present number of members is one hundred and twenty five. When the lodge was
first organized it held its meetings in a room over Barrett & Company's store. In the year 1885 it was moved
to the room over the old "Wagon Shop," where it remained until 1899. Then it was moved to the hall which
it occupies at present. The lodge owns its own hall and a lot adjoining, and is in a prosperous condition. Its
meetings occur on Saturday evening on or before the full of the moon of each month.
Eden Chapter No. 119, Royal Arch Masons, vas chartered January 17. 1900, with the following charter members, who
were also its first officers: W. A. Justice; high priest; Irven Barnard, king; H. B. Wilson, scribe; M. B. Walker,
treasurer; Elwood Barnard, secretary: R. J. Sample, captain of the host; I. H. Day, principal sojourner; John H.
Mugg, royal arch captain; John W. Hudson, master of third veil; Jesse H. Jackson, master of second veil; J. W.
Trittipo, master of first veil; J. S. Bills, guard.
Eden Chapter No.101, Order of Eastern Star, was organized April 23, 1890, with twenty six charter members The first
officers were Carrie Barrett, worthy matron; Irven Barnard, worthy patron; Rosa Smith, associate matron. At present
there are ninety five members. The lodge has always held its meetings in the Masonic hall, on Saturday evening
on or before new moon.
Hancock Lodge No. 705, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Eden, was organized March 13, 1893, with five charter
members, Matthew L. Frank, Marion Ferrell, Samuel B. Slaughter, O. P. Barrett and William Chappell. At present
there are about one hundred members. The meetings were held in the hall over Trueblood's shop. In 1901 the lodge
was moved to the hall in which it meets at present. The lodge owns the building and the site upon which the building
stands. It meets on Tuesday night of each week. An encampment was also organized at one time, but its charter has
Lodge No. 483, Daughters of Rebekah, was granted a charter on March 12, 1895. Following are the names of the charter
members: Flora Barrett, Mary Mathews, M. O. Maley, Myrtle Taylor, J. L. Dangler and wife, Effie L. Alford, Minnie
Jarrett, Daisy Jarrett, Cludie Huey, Orla Taylor, Dora West and Hattie Short. There are sixty members at present.
Meetings have always been held in the Odd Fellows hall. Meetings are held the first and third Saturday night of
Several of the early churches of the township are no longer in existence. Thus there was a Methodist Episcopal
church known as Roberts chapel, located two and one half miles southwest of Eden in the elbow of the road near
the southwest corner of the northeast quarter of section 25, township 17, range 6.
At about the same time the Baptists also erected a small church house along the west side of section 24, township
17, range 6, or about one and one half miles west of Eden. It was moved into Vernon township probably about the
time of the Civil War.
CENTER GROVE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
A class, from which grew what was later known as the Center Grove Methodist Episcopal church, was first organized
in 1845 and worshipped at a point about three miles east of Eden. Their meetings were at first held at what was
known as the Barrett school house. In 1855 the congregation erected a frame building at a cost of one thousand
two hundred dollars, on the west side of the road that angles a little to the southwest through the cast half of
the northeast quarter of section 28, township 17, range 7, at a point probably twenty rods south of the north line
of 'section 28. Services were conducted here until about 1897.
EDEN BAPTIST CHURCH.
The Eden Baptist church was organized northeast of Eden at the Crist school house in April, 1871. Among its
charter members were G. W. Hopkins and wife, Gavin Morrison and wife, Ira Shafer and wife and S. F. Baker. Services
were held for several years, but no pastor preached regularly for the congregation after the latter seventies.
EDEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The first meetings of the Eden Methodist Episcopal church were held at the private residences and barns of the
members, Thomas Dawson, Robert Walker and Robison Jarrett. The first ministers were Stephen Masters and James Vess,
followed by Reverends Donaldson, Leach and Richmond.
In 1838 the society erected a log house for worship in Eden on the ground where the present brick church stands.
Here services were held until about 1860, when a frame building, costing about one thousand and five hundred dollars,
was erected and was dedicated by the Rev. John S. McCarty.
In the spring of 1904 a meeting of the members was called and a subscription started for the erection of the present
new building, the cost of which was about eight thousand dollars, one half being subscribed before work on the
same was commenced. It was dedicated by Bishop J. H. Vincent and the Rev. J. W. Zerbe, pastor, Sunday, October
13, 1904 The building committee was composed of Henry B. Wilson, D. H. Baity, Irven Barnard, B. L. Barrett, William
Barnard and Elwood Barnard. The church trustees at that time included the above named, also John E. Barrett, John
S. Spurry, Samuel Alford and A. E. Curry.
Among those who have served the congregation as pastors during the latter years are John S. McCarty, Thomas Stabler,
M. Black, J. L. Ramsey, William Anderson, D. D. Powell, J. C. White, Lamb, Short, Tague, Bowers, Thomas, McDaniel,
Covert, Southerland, Rogers, Bicknell and Girard; J. C. Tettro, 1893-94; J. H. Slack, 1895; F. M. Lacy, 1895-98;
G. H. Myers, 1899-1902; J. W. Zerbe, 1903-06; M. M. Reynolds, 1907; Rhodes, 1907; W. E. Loveless, 1908-10; L. G.
Black, 1911; F. M. Dawson, 1911-12; A. J. Duryee, 1912-15. The congregation at present consists of one hundred
and forty members. The average attendance is about thirty or forty.
The Eden Methodist Episcopal church has been on many different charges. At one time it was with Curry's chapel
and Mt. Carmel, with the parsonage located at Eden. Next it was joined with Philadelphia, then it was put on the
Fortville charge, with the parsonage at Fortville. Later, Fortville was made a point within itself and Eden was
put on the Ingalls circuit, with the parsonage at Ingalls. Next it was put on the Maxwell charge, where it is at
present, the parsonage. being located at Maxwell.
Previous to 1885 a Sunday school was conducted just for a few months during the summer seasons Since 1885 it has
been conducted every Sunday. In May, 1884, Elwood Barnard organized the first Sunday school that was conducted
regularly, with L. H. Riggs, superintendent. For the first few years Mr. Barnard also took upon himself much of
the responsibility of the Sunday school in managing and conducting its business and buying its supplies. The first
winter it sometimes fell to him to build the fires. For many years he was choir leader and did a great deal to
advance the people in singing and music. The average attendance at present is about one hundred. There are twelve
classes at present. Adult church members take an active part. The following is a list of the superintendents: Irven
Barnard, B. L. Barrett, Elwood Barnard, Ozrow Kemerly, John S. Spurry, D. H. Baity, Margaret Barrett, H. B. Wilson,
Irven Barnard, I. H. Day and A. E. Curry: The Sunday school is supported by the farmers and their families and
it is said to be one among the best Sunday schools, though not the largest, in the Richmond district.
The Ladies' Aid Society of the Eden Methodist Episcopal church was organized in 1904, for the purpose of raising
money to help build the new church. The organization was composed of the ladies who were members of the church
and a few others. The organization paid over to the building committee about one thousand and five hundred dollars.
which the ladies raised by giving dinners, festivals, and doing sewing, etc.
LITTLE CREEK CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
The Lick Creek Christian church was originally located about forty rods east of the northwest corner of the
northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 12, township 17, range 7. Among the charter members were
John K. Rash, Lawson Fuqua, Joseph Winn, John. H. Huston, Benjamin Legg and a Mr. Snodgrass. Among the first officers
of the church were. Joseph Winn, John Huston and John K. Rash. Among the ministers who served the congregation
were J. W. Ferrill, Rev. Blaney, Robert S. Ackerman and Thomas H. Kuhn.
The church was maintained at the location above described until about 1893, when it was moved to the northwest
corner of the northeast quarter of section n, township 17, range 6, in Vernon township. The congregation worshipped
here until about 1896 when it was consolidated with the Christian church at Ingalls.
MAPLE GROVE FRIENDS CHURCH.
The Maple Grove Friends church is located a quarter of a mile east of the middle point of the west line of section
24, township 17, range 6. The congregation was organized during the latter seventies and worshipped for a time
at the Purdue school house, which stood at the southeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 24, township
17, range 6. During the early eighties the present church building was erected. Among the men who donated fifty
dollars or more toward the construction of the church were Lee D. Olvey, James B. Galbreath, George F. Lewark,
Daniel N. Jackson. Jesse P. Cook, General W. Jackson, Monroe Gant and Jasper Cauldwell. The building committee
was composed of Lee D. Olvey, James B. Galbreath and George F. Lewark. A Union Sunday school was organized while
services were still held at the Purdue school house. It was afterwards moved to the church and named Maple Grove
Union. On January 1, 191.5, the name of the Sunday school was changed to the Friends Sunday school. There is an
average attendance at church and Sunday school at present of about twenty five.
Among the pastors who have served the church are Mrs. White, John Kittinger, Fred Bous and Rev. Hinshaw, the latter
being pastor at this time. Among those who have served as superintendents of the Sunday school are Thomas McClarnon,
George Lewark, Alfred Bills, General Jackson and Rose Cooper, the latter being the present superintendent.
The first church was destroyed by fire about fifteen years ago. Lee Olvey had kept up insurance on the church and
the money received from the insurance company was used toward the construction of the present building. Adjoining
the church is a beautiful cemetery, formerly known as the Jackson and Olvey cemetery, and later simply as the Olvey
cemetery. About 1906 Mr. Olvey expended quite a sum of money in improving the grounds, making cement walks, fencing,
etc. Others donated days of labor, among 'whom were Joseph A. Fuqua, George Andis, Frank Andis and General
MILNER'S CORNER UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH.
By Noble H. Troy.
The Milner's Corner United Brethren church was organized in May, 1885, in the school house (which is still standing)
by Rev. William Gossett. It can be truly said of this venerable man that he was the means of bringing this portion
of the county out of the mire, for by his preaching of the blessed Word the eyes of men and women were opened to
the beauties of life and the hope of the great Beyond.
It was through the efforts of Rev. William Gossett that the present church building was erected in the summer of
1885. He was ably assisted in the work by Dr. S. A. Troy (deceased), James Keller (deceased), John Keller (deceased),
F. M. Jackson, M. L. Frank and others. This church is in good spiritual and financial standing, surrounded by prosperous
The present officials are Dr. J. E. Shannon, superintendent; Rev. Alexander Eddington, pastor; C. H. Troy, secretary;
James H. Bussell, treasurer; James Albea, E. J. Keller, A. E. Albea, Elmer McComas and Charles Alvea, trustees.
The Milner's Corner United Brethren Sunday school was organized by Charles H. Troy, April 1, 1886. Mr. Troy was
elected superintendent and served five years, after which he was succeeded by Mrs. Hepsy Shipley, James R. Walker,
W. P. Bussell, E. J. Keller, James M. Bussell. Charles H. Troy is superintendent at the present time.
The Sunday school is in a fine spiritual condition, has a membership of eighty and an average attendance of fifty;
and we can truly say this school is blessed with good musicians, both vocal and instrumental; it has a fine piano
and orchestra. The members of the orchestra are, Mary Troy, pianist; Noble H. Troy, violinist; Robert Troy, baritone;
Dale Troy, trombone; Ralph Fisk and Charles H. Jackson, cornetists.
The present Sunday school officials are C. H. Troy, superintendent; Ruth Troy, secretary; James Bussell, treasurer;
F. M. Jackson, Ellen McComas, Ralph Fisk, E. J. Keller and Charles H. Jackson, teachers.
JACKSON CHAPEL (UNITED BRETHREN).
Jackson chapel stands on the county line at the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter
of section 10, township 17, range 7. The present house was built during the summer of 1895 and was dedicated by
the Rev. William Bell, of Dayton, Ohio, on December 4, 1895. Another church, known as White chapel, stood two and
three quarters miles west of the point above described, and on the Madison county side of the road. This house
became dilapidated, and during the pastorate of the Rev. William Gossett the new house was constructed on the new
location. The charter members were, Martha Mingle, Madison Mingle, Thomas Franklin, Mahala Franklin, W. A. Pritchard,
Electa Pritchard, Herman Pritchard, Effie Pritchard, Carrie Jackson, Ellen Jackson, Levi Jackson, Louise Jackson,
Hannah Milliner, Rosa Blakely and Mattie Pritchard. At present there are thirty seven members.
Among the pastors who have served the church are, James F. Reynolds, William Demundren, Charles P. Martin, Morton
Hobson, N. P. France, Alonzo Myer, A. C. Willmore, O. F. Lydy, W. M. Griffin, E. J. Jenkins, D. E. Johnson, Grover
Wright and A. Edrington.
A Sunday school was organized in 1896, which now has four classes, with an average attendance of thirty five. The
adult members of the church are generally in attendance at Sunday school. Among the superintendents of the Sunday
school are, W. A. Pritchard, Louise Jackson, Preston Chadwick, William Rogers, William Franklin, Ira Franklin,
W. S. McCarty, Eva Albea. The average attendance at church services is about forty.