The nucleus of what has since become generally known as the "German Settlement" was formed in 1828.
In that year Carl Julius Leopold Albert von Bonge was banished from the Fatherland because of participating in
a political revolution. Bonge was a nobleman and had received a classical education in Prussia, his native state.
He came to Sugar Creek township and entered the southeast quarter of section 12, township 15, range 5. A companion,
Albert Lange, who was also banished by Prussia came with Bonge and entered the northeast quarter of section 14,
township 15, range 5, the land upon which school No. 3 is now located. Bonge's land was just north and west of
this school. Bonge remained in Sugar Creek township until about 1840, when he removed to Marion county. Lange had
moved to Terre Haute a few years before and had taken up the profession of law. He was later elected mayor of Terre
Haute and served twice as auditor of Vigo county. During the Civil War he served two terms as auditor of the state
About 1833 Anton Wishmeier came from Minden-on-the-Weser, in East Prussia, and settled in the north central part
of section 24, township 15, range 5. His buildings stood about eighty rods southwest of the present German Lutheran
church. A tree or two of the old orchard may still be standing. When Wishmeier came he brought his wagon, harness
and farming implements from Germany. He bought horses in Baltimore and drove from that city to the home just mentioned.
In 1834 Dr. Rosenberg, who had gone from Germany to the state of Illinois, wrote some articles for the Sunday school
journals of East Prussia. He described the beauties of Illinois, dwelling especially upon its broad prairies, its
beautiful flowers, etc. Through reading this literature a group of about sixteen young people at the town and in
the vicinity of Minden-on-the-Weser were inspired to seek their fortunes in the state of Illinois. They left home
on Easter Sunday, in 1835, and set sail from Bremen, reaching Baltimore after a stormy passage. Several of the
group remained at Baltimore and at other points in the East; others came by wagon from Baltimore to Wheeling, West
Va. Their goods were stored in large, heavy oak boxes, some of which may still be found among their descendants.
One wagon was sufficient to carry their effects. A few of the company rode, while others walked. At nights sleeping
apartments were made, both in the wagon and under the wagon. They were all in good health and, from their own reminiscences
it seems that they had quite a jolly trip crossing the mountains of Pennsylvania and western Virginia. From Wheeling
they came by boat to Cincinnati, and there at the wharf stood Dr. Rosenberg. To their bitter disappointment, if
not to their utter consternation, he told them that the state of Illinois was the unhealthiest spot on the face
of the earth; that milk sickness was so prevalent that people were dying everywhere. Several of the company wept.
Others, including Ludwig Richmann, were acquainted with Anton Wishmeier, who had settled in Sugar Creek township,
and in their extremity. they decided to find him.
A wagon was procured and the company started northwest from Cincinnati, reaching the National road probably at
Cambridge City. They then came on to Greenfield, where it seems that the taverns were filled. The driver finally
rented a blacksmith shop for the night. Here the companv stayed, and the next morning went on west to the point
now known as Brier's switch. Arthur Carr lived on the west half of the southeast quarter of section 1, township
15, range 5, and their first night in Sugar Creek township was spent at his residence. From this point they found
Wishmeier, and the remaining members of the company made other homes in Sugar Creek township. Among them were Christian
Spilker, William (Luke) Rosener, Christian Steinmeier, Sr., and his three children; Christian Steinmeier, Jr.,
and his two daughters, Louise and Sophia; Lewis Richmann and Louisa Bohne, and probably one or two others. Louise
Bohne was married to Lewis Richmann soon after they reached their destination. She is familiarly remembered as
"Grandma" Richmann throughout the western and southern parts of Sugar Creek township. It was she who
became the author's foster mother in his infancy; who spoke the sweet gentle words and who gave him the kindly
care that his own mother was not here to give.
Among other Germans who came and whose descendants may still be found in the township, are Jacob Schramm, France
Landwehr, Christian Schildmeier, Christian Miller, Anton Eickman, C. Henry Rosener, F. L. Christian Rosener, Anton
Fink, Gottlieb Ostermeier, Christian F. Hoff, Anthony Kirkhoff, Charles Klopper, Wilhelm Langenberger, Christian
Knoop, William Borman, Carl Oswald, Adam Medan, Benjamin Rothe, Carl Breuer, Wilhelm Ruschaupt, Anton Meier, John
Greim, Conrad Gundrum, George Lantz, Ernest H. and Ernst W. Faut.
Jacob Schramm sent an agent named Havemeier from Germany to select some land for him. Havemeier selected the southeast
quarter of section 12, township 15, range 5, in Sugar Creek township. He also had a house built, part of the ground
cleared, and in 1835 Mr. Schramm came. He soon became one of the most enterprising farmers and citizens of the
county. He erected the first frame barn in Sugar Creek township, which is still standing. While the National road
was being planked he also constructed a plank road from his home on the south side of section 12 to the National
road. He charged toll for the use of this road, and the people from that vicinity and those located south and east
of his residence commonly took the plank road to Indianapolis to do their marketing. He also established the first
tile factory in Sugar Creek township, making first the "horseshoe" tile, and later the flat bottomed
tile. This factory was established about 1863, soon after Isaac Beeson began manufacturing tile in Blue River township.
During the fifties, and before the manufacture of tile in the county, he had a carload of stone shipped which he
used to put in blind ditches. He accumulated a great deal of wealth during his lifetime and used portions of it
in traveling. He made several trips to Germany, and at least one to Jerusalem and other points in the Holy Land.
Before his death he was instrumental in having a free gravel road constructed in the German Settlement. and by
virtue of a clause in his will he left two thousand dollars, the income of which was to be used for the maintenance
of the road.
William Borman, though of very humble station, lived to be just about one hundred years of age. He died in the
early eighties. As a young man he had been in the Napoleonic wars, and was one of Napoleon's soldiers taken from
Prussia in his famous campaign against Moscow.
Germans kept coming into the neighborhood of the settlement until about twenty five years ago, since which time
there probably have been no accessions at all by immigration. Some of the older families have entirely disappeared,
but the descendants of most of them may still be found in the community. They have been a frugal, industrious people.
and have made their portion of Sugar Creek township a garden spot in the county. The land has been drained, roads
have been constructed and the best of buildings may be seen upon their farms.
Ernst H. Faut located at New Palestine and took up the trade of a blacksmith. He was shrewd and intellectual, and
soon came to be an influential man, not only among the Germans, but as a man of the county. He served both as assessor
and township trustee of Sugar Creek township, and later as county treasurer of Hancock county. He used to say that
he carried the vote of the old. German Settlement in his vest pocket, and this came near being a literal truth.
They laid before him all their troubles, foreign and domestic, and counseled with him upon all matters. He wrote
the wills of the living and the obituaries of those who had passed through the veil of eternity.
The first German church is said to have been established in 1836 by a number of Germans who came from Hamburg,
Germany. They built a little log house on the west line of section 24, township 15, range 5, just south of the
railroad. The first minister was a man named Kiebler. He was followed by the Rev. Muth, a United Brethren minister,
who is mentioned in connection with other churches in the counts. It seems always to have been denominated an Evangelical
The Germans who settled to the north and east of this locality came principally from East Prussia. They held tenaciously
to their old form of worship and in 1841 called the Rev. J. G. Kunz, of Indianapolis, to preach for them. Rey.
Kunz preached every fourth Sunday for several 5 years and laid the foundation of the present
GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH.
This congregation at first worshipped in the little log church located on the west half of the southwest quarter
of section 24, township 15, range 5. It stood on the east side of the road, immediately south of the Cincinnati,
Hamilton & Dayton railway and just across the highway from the present Schildmeier cemetery. The congregation
worshipped in this little log church until 1851, when the present frame church was built. On March 28, 1845. Christian
Schildmeier and Maria, his wife, sold and conveyed to the "Church of Zion," in consideration of two dollars
and fifty cents, one fourth acre upon the following express conditions: "That said land is to be used for
no other purpose but for a burying ground and that there shall never be a dwelling house built on said land, and
further, that the members of the Church of Zion shall fence said ground with a good fence and keep said fence in
good repair, and should the meeting house that is adjoining the above described burying ground be discontinued
at any time hereafter, the said Christian Schildmeier and his heirs or assigns are to have the burying ground back
for the sum of two dollars and fifty cents." The burying ground above described is the ground now known as
the Schildmeier cemetery.
The ten acres of ground now owned by the congregation, upon which the church, school, parsonage and teacher's residence
are located, was first bought from Anton Frederich Wishmeier and Maria Wishmeier, his wife, on September 24, 1848,
for one hundred and fifty dollars. It is located near the middle of the north line of section 24, township 15,
range 5. The grantees named in the deed from the Wishmeiers are Anthony Reasoner, Charles Henry Reasoner, Christian
Rethmeier, William Lewis Reasoner, Christian Spilker, Charles Rethmeier, William Brier, Anthony F. Wishmeier, Anthony
F. Rabe, Charles Miller, Gottlieb Ostermeier, Anthony Eikmann and Christian Schildmeier. The deed recites that
the real estate is conveyed "as a site for a school house and parsonage, and it is stipulated between the
parties respectively that if any other person of the neighborhood shall join in the association or company and
pay their proportion for the land, and have their names recorded in a book to be kept for that purpose, then in
that case those persons so joining shall be joint sharers in the real estate."
The first parsonage and a little log school were built on this real estate in 1848; the church, as stated above,
was not built until 1859. The Rev. A. Brandt was the first resident pastor, who came about 1848 or 1849. The relation
between Brandt and the congregation seems to have been rather unpleasant; for some cause he brought suit against
Christian Schildmeier, one of his members, and was twice defeated before George Leachman, a justice of the peace.
The congregation did not support Brandt in his contentions, and a split occurred which came near causing the dissolution
of the church. A number of Members living to the north and west withdrew permanently and organized the German Evangelical
church, which now stands just west of Cumberland. Others in the immediate neighborhood withdrew and never returned.
Brandt was followed by Revs. Hermann and Scheurmann. It developed that Hermann was a free thinker. His congregation
came to feel that his sermons did not ring true, and finally one of the brethren asked him whether he believed
that Jesus Christ was the Son of God. "Certainly," replied Rev. Herman, "we are all sons of God."
This lacked a great deal of satisfying the orthodox German, and the congregation had another crisis to pass through.
Rev. Kunz was then recalled and remained as pastor of the church from 1853 until 1882.
The land above referred to was held in the name of the entire membership of the congregation, as shown by the deed,
until October 13, 1857, when it was deeded to Christian Frederich Reasoner. The following members are named as
grantors in this deed; Charles Rethmeier, Elinore Rethmeier, William Brier, Christina Brier, Anthony Wishmeier,
Elinore Wishmeier, Anton Rabe, Louise Rabe, Charles Miller, Christina Miller, Gottlieb Ostermeier, Sophia Ostermeier,
Anton L. Reman, Sophia Reman, Christian Schildmeier, Maria Schildmeier, Anton Frederick Reasoner, Louisa Roesner,
Charles Henry Rosener, Sophia Rosener, Christian Hoff. Christina Hoff, Ernest Creger, Sophia Creger, Christian
Miller, Christina Miller, Henry Meier, Louise Meier, Christian Rethmeier, Elinore Rethmeier, William Rosener, Christian
Spilker, and Sophia Spilker.
On November 10, 1857, Christian Frederich Reasoner and Elinore Reasoner, his wife, conveyed the church lands back
to Henry Meier, Charles Meier, Anton Henry Reasoner and C. Henry Reasoner, trustees of the German Evangelical Zion's
church of Doe creek. The deed recites that this conveyance is made "with the express condition that said land
shall be used for religious and school purposes of said denomination, and further, should a split occur in the
congregation, then the right of the property in said land shall go exclusively to that portion which shall adhere,
without reservation, to the full and true confession of the above named Evangelical Lutheran church, whether such
portion shall be the majority of the entire congregation or not." The congregation still holds the land by
virtue of this deed.
The original frame church was built by a man named Kaiser, in 1859, at a cost of eight hundred dollars, and was
dedicated on September 26 of that year. It was remodeled in 1892 by Charles F. Richman. A pipe organ was installed
and dedicated on June 18, 1899. The services in the church were conducted in German until 1902, when English services
were held in the afternoon on one Sunday of each month. On October 12, 1903, a resolution was adopted to have English
and German services every third Sunday. On January 2, 1905, a resolution was adopted to have English services only
on the morning of every third Sunday; all other services were to be conducted in German. This resolution still
A Ladies' Aid Society was organized in the church in 1903; it now contains thirty two members and meets once each
month at the home of one of the members. Its purpose is to help poor students who are preparing for the ministry,
and to keep up the interior of the church. The Ladies' Society bought a new altar for the church in 1903. It has
papered the church twice, and in 1914 paid for revarnishing the benches. During the pastorate of Rev. Henkel the
society and the entire congregation contributed generously toward the education of his sons for the ministry.
The old log school house which stood between the present parsonage and the church was used until 1878. At that
time the present school house was built. A new parsonage was built in 1885 by Charles F. Richman, and the parsonage
was enlarged by the addition of several rooms in 1893. Following is the list of pastors who have served since the
organization of the present congregation: J. G. Kunz, 1853-1882: Frederick Zagel, 1882-84; William K. Kaiser, 1884-92;
H. Henkel, 1892-1903; F. Markworth, 1903 to the present time. G. Markworth, the father of the present pastor, has
acted as assistant pastor of the church since 1905. For many years, in the absence of the pastor, Henry Meier,
whose name appears so prominently in the history of this church, read sermons from the books of Dr. Walter or Dr.
Luther. Several of the above named pastors also taught in the church school. Rev. Kunz taught in the old log building
and also in the present building for a period of almost thirty years. He had a large family of girls and at different
times they assisted him, especially his daughters, Maria and Bertha.
During the sixties a teacher, named Lahusen, was employed by the congregation. He was to receive a salary of possibly
one hundred and eighty or two hundred dollars per year, and was to "board around" with the people. staying
one week at each house. He stayed part of the year on this plan, but one night, while he was boarding at Noelting's,
he disappeared and never returned, nor was anything ever heard of him afterward.
Following is also a list of teachers who afterward served thecongregation: Schoenhart, 1879-81; Wagner, 1881-83;
M. Kunzelman came about 1883 or 1884 and stayed until 1897: Oscar Gotch, 1897-1902, after which Mr. Kunzelman and
the Rev. Markworth each taught a few months. William Binder was called in October, 1903, and remained until March,
1905; Theodore Markworth taught from September, 1907, to December, 1909; Carl Buick, February to, 1910, to October,
1912; Rev. Markworth then taught again for several months. The present teacher. Gustav Scheiderer. was called in
To the German Lutherans the house that has been dedicated to the worship of God is a sacred place. For this reason
they will permit no meetings to be held within the church except regular services and business meetings for the
administration of the affairs of the church. Nothing of a secular nature is permitted to come in. Even the Christmas
entertainments for years and years have consisted of exercises by the children in telling the story of Christ's
birth and reciting the prophecies, etc., pointing to Christ. The children are taught the Bible and Bible history
in the parochial school, and they are able to recite verses of Scripture with ease. They have a beautiful custom
of responding to the questions of the pastor on Christmas eve within the hallowed precincts of the church. The
following little statement concerning these Christmas entertainments appeared in the Hancock Democrat on December
30, 1880: "At the German Lutheran church, under the superintendency of Rev. J. G. Kunz, the Christmas tree
and the appropriate declamations and the Christmas songs, and the extra large amount of presents on the occasion,
was surely the greatest affair ever exhibited in Hancock county. This congregation is the most numerous in membership
and wealth, and the members are very liberal in their donations for church and school purposes and have celebrated
Christmas in the greatest manner imaginable, which would have been a credit to a metropolitan city, as it is much
credit to the church and its worthy minister and will bear imitation."
The writer of the above article, who listened to the "declamations," probably did not understand German,
and did not know that these "declamations" consisted of portions of the Scripture. The Christmas tree,
with the angel at its top and its burning candles, has always been a feature of the Christmas entertainment. Any
departure from the simple Christ story that has always been so beautifully and joyfully told by the children must
detract from the beauty of their Christmas celebration. The children are always young - the story never grows old
and never becomes tiresome.
THE GERMAN CORNET BAND.
Rev. Henkel had some knowledge of brass instruments and band music, and organized a band among the boys of the
congregation, when he came to the Settlement in 1892. Several soon dropped out, but the following members played
for several years: Fred Wampner, Christian Hoff, Will Knoop, Henry Knoop, Fred Bruns, George Sander, Otto Schramm,
George J. Richman, Fred Harmening, Lewis H. Merlau, Lewis Richman, Henry Brier and Ed Knoop.
They had no instructor except the pastor for a short' time. They were all laborers on the farms and gave only their
spare time to practice. The band never succeeded in playing a very high grade of music, yet during the summer of
1896 they played a number of the marches of John Philip Sousa, who was then the march king of the world. After
that year the band declined and the boys finally quit entirely. Later a new band was organized which played for
two or three years.
ALBRIGHT GERMAN CHURCH.
A new frame church was erected on the east side of the county line, just below Julietta, in 1866, and became known
as the Albright German church.
Services were conducted in German until about 1890, after which they were conducted in. the English language on
certain Sundays of each month. The German membership began moving away, others died, and after about 1895 services
ceased to be held. Since that time the church has been sold and moved away. Among those who were faithful for many
years should be mentioned Elinore Custer, Fred Schmoe, Mrs. Weber, of Julietta, and the Fink family.
Philadelphia, the first town in Sugar Creek township, was platted on April 11, 1838, by Charles Atherton, the
original plat consisting of eighteen lots. The record fails to show by whom the survey was made, but in all deads
of conveyance the lots are described as being in Charles Atherton's original survey.
Two additions have been made to the town since then. Pearson's addition, known as Second addition, was laid out
on June 7, 1839, by Ovid Pearson, and contains forty two lots and six outlots. A third addition, known as Clark's
addition, was laid out on April 2, 1864, and consists of nineteen lots.
For many years after the town was laid out Charles Atherton was the general merchant and postmaster. During the
latter fifties a man named Berry also operated a grocery, in which he sold liquor. The ladies of the town and vicinity
took exception to this part of his business and conspired together to rid the town of the evil. Berry received
an intimation of what was about to happen, locked up his store and left town. The ladies, however, made an entrance,
some say through a window, and others say they battered the door down. However, that may have been, the liquor
was found and poured upon the floor. Soon thereafter the owner left for other parts.
Later merchants were Allen McCane, Joseph Marshall, G. W. Willett, Samuel McConnaha, J. B. String, J. B. Conover,
Oscar Meek & Brother, John Garner and H. F. Wilson. The present merchants are Raymond Wilson and Mr. Swarms.
Elzy Grigsby also sells groceries from a room in the rear of the barber shop.
The early physicians of the town have been mentioned elsewhere, but the list of later ones includes Drs. Eubank,
King and Bell.
During the latter seventies and eighties a great deal of business was transacted at Philadelphia. It was an important
little railroad town. There was a saw mill, grist mill and a grain elevator, and the Stutsmans and Benjamin Elliott
had a blacksmith shop. The first brick school house in the township was also erected at Philadelphia in 1873.
Very few improvements have been made in the town during the past fifty years and the older citizens tell as that
it remains very much as it was from their earliest recollection. The postoffice was removed when the Greenfield
rural routes were started in 1902.
PHILADELPHIA METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH,
The first meetings of the people which resulted in the organization of this church were held about 1835. The
people who attended at that time were Charles Atherton, Sr., and family, William Brown and family, Mrs. Willett,
Jonathan Hornaday and family, Thomas J. Smith and family, Joseph Gray and family, and likely others.
In the very early history of the church meetings were held in an old log school house that stood on the north side
of the National road, near the east end of town, and, later, in a frame school house built by James Boyce and Joseph
Marshall, on the north side of the National road about the middle of town. Services were also held in the large
reception room of Willett's tavern, on the south side of the National road, and at the old Pennsylvania station
and freight depot, which burned down about 1878 or 1879.
Among the early ministers were Mr. Edmondson, J. B. Burch, Abraham Kuntz, Rev. Havens, William Anderson and Rev.
Colclazier. The latter was the minister about the time the present church house was built. The Rev. Abraham Kuntz,
and his wife, who was a sweet singer, held a very successful revival in the old school house in the winter of 1854-5.
The present house was built in 1856 and was dedicated by Bishop Ames. At that time it stood about twenty rods south
of where it now stands. Ten years ago the building was moved to its present site, and since that time has been
remodeled. A Sunday school has been conducted in connection with the church ever since about 1850.
The church belonged to the Greenfield circuit until the Greenfield church was made a station, in 1879. At that
time the Philadelphia circuit was formed, including Philadelphia, Eden, Curry's Chapel and Sugar Creek, under the
pastorate of Harvey Sutherland. Among the ministers of the church, and the dates of their appointment, are Harvey
Sutherland, 1878; William Anderson, 1879; Hosea Woolpert, 1881; A. C. Gruber, 1884; William Peck, 1885; D. H. Guild,
1888; E. W. Reinhart, 1890; John Heim, 1891; William Ramsey, 1893; H. H. Compton, 1895; S. F. Harter, 1896; M.
C. Pittenger, 1899; Albert Luring, 1900; L. P. Pfeiffer, 1901 F. M. Waggoner, 1904; H. Hardingham, 1905; ____ Barton,
1906; M. M. Reynolds, 1906; C. A. Hile, 1907; F. Greenstreet, 1909; Paul Truitt, 1909; E. H. Taylor, 1911; Leroy
Huddleston, 1912; J. B. O'Connor, 1915.
PHILADELPHIA CHURCH CEMETERY.
This cemetery, long known as the Hawkins cemetery, was surveyed in May, 18.71, and presented by Joseph Hawkins
to the trustees of the Philadelphia Methodist Episcopal church. The price of the lots were fixed at six dollars,
the proceeds to be used in caring for and ornamenting the ground. The trustees of the church were to fence the
ground, keep it enclosed, and keep up the cemetery. The deed was delivered by Mr. Hawkins to the trustees of the
church at a meeting attended by a number of the members. Several people present made short talks, and W. S. Fries,
the surveyor, gave a discourse upon "The Sacredness of the Grave."
Additions have been made to the cemetery since that time. It was maintained by the church until 1908. In the fall
of that year it was incorporated under the laws of the state of Indiana and has since been in the hands of the
FRIENDS CHURCH AT PHILADELPHIA.
The Friends church at Philadelphia was organized as a result of a great camp meeting held at Dye's lake in the
fall of 1886, by Eli Scott and a party from Indianapolis. The camp meeting was held in the open air until the nights
became too cool, when a large tent was erected. There was much enthusiasm and before the meeting' closed the following
families, with others, had banded themselves together for the purpose of organizing a church: Clarence L. Black
and wife, Emma Jane Gilson, John Short and wife, Mrs. Jennie Colestock, several members of the Fields family, James
Shelton and wife, Henry Hawk and wife, Arinenus McKelvey and wife, John McKelvey and wife, Oliver Smith and wife.
During the spring and summer of 1887 a church was constructed on' the north side of the National road at the west
end of Philadelphia. For several years Revs. Eli Scott, Hunt, Mrs. Carter, and others preached to the congregation.
Some of the members moved away, others withdrew to other churches, and after a few years services ceased to be
held in the church. The house stood vacant for a number of years and was sold a few years ago to Mrs. Flora Stant,
During the winter of 1897-8, Rev. Mower, a United Brethren pastor,' conducted a revival for several months in this
house in an effort to organize a United Brethren church at Philadelphia. The effort, however, was not successful.
SPRING LAKE PARK.
Spring Lake park is located aboht one half mile southwest of the town of Philadelphia. The gully now occupied
by the lake originally contained a number of springs and in 1884-5 William Dye conceived the idea of putting a
dam across the west end of it to make an artificial lake. It was surrounded by woods, and on the south lay eight
or ten acres or more of timber, an excellent picnic ground. The dam was constructed and the place, then known as
Dye's Grove, was opened to Sunday schools, lodges, and other organizations for picnics. A passenger steamer, which
was able to carry about thirty persons, was built on the lake in 1886. It was a small steamboat, but it attracted
a great deal of attention in the vicinity for a summer or two. The employees of the "Pan-Handle" Railroad
Company held their annual picnic there in 1886. A camp meeting was also held in 1886, the result of which was the
organization of the congregation of Friends at Philadelphia. It has been used as a picnic ground more or less ever
since that time. Boats, as well as facilities for bathing, have always been maintained.
During the latter eighties one of the great sham battles of the county was fought there. In the course of time
the place became known as Spring Lake park. In 1901, after the Indianapolis & Greenfield traction line had
been built, a summer theater was opened and was maintained for two summers. Often, however, the singers and actors
had the entire building to themselves and after the second season the theater was not reopened. A baseball park
was maintained, which drew large crowds on Sundays during 1903. The park has changed hands several times; E. E.
Matthews owned it for several years, when it was bought by a company of persons who platted the entire tract for
residence purposes in the spring of 1912.
PHILADELPHIA CORNET BAND.
A brass band was organized at Philadelphia in 1874, and incorporated under the laws of the state. Its articles
of incorporation may be found in the miscellaneous record in the county recorder's office in the court house at
Greenfield. The names of the members of the band, as shown by these articles of incorporation, were Marion Philpott,
William Dye, Jr., Sam Martin, William Eddins, Charles Gilson, Henry C. Stutsman, John Stutsman, J. A. Stutsman,
J. M. Stutsman, Charles Stutsman and Armenus McKelvey.
This band, with a changing membership, continued to discourse strains of music to the little town until in the
eighties. It had a very handsome, old fashioned band wagon, high at each end and low in the middle.
Sugar Creek Township History files [Part 1] [Part
2] [Part 3 - New Palestine].